best VOIP for nude/hippie DSL?

1 view

Ohioguy

Mar 2, 2010, 6:08:24 PM3/2/10
I just got my first phone bill for our new house. We are moving just
15 miles, but it is from a house where AT&T does the local phone
service, to one where Verizon does the local phone service.

Taxes included, we are going from a grand total of $23 with AT&T to
nearly $30 a month with Verizon. The service is exactly the same -
unlimited local calling.

Now I had no problem with paying about $23 a month, but I do have an
issue with paying 30% more for the same thing. It is enough of a
difference that I started looking into alternatives.

Well, I found out that naked/nude/dry/hippie DSL is available through
Verizon for just $19.99 a month. That seems attractive to me,
especially since I'm currently paying $5 a month for 6 hours a day of
dialup Internet. If you add that to my present local phone, plus about
$8 a month in long distance calling cards, I'm paying about $43 a month
for local, long distance, and Internet.

I'd like to look into setting up some sort of easy to use VOIP over
the naked DSL. I need the following features:

1) answering machine
2) phone number I can share with relatives, & use for outgoing calls
3) I'd like to be able to plug a regular phone in and use that
for calls, if possible
4) low cost

Anybody have any suggestions that would help me find what I'm looking
for?

Thanks!

The Henchman

Mar 2, 2010, 9:18:54 PM3/2/10
Out of curiosity, do you have a cell phone? If so maybe Verizon will lower
your house phone if you have a cell phone with them.

Have you played hardball with Verizon and informed them that ATT has
"better" rates? Sometimes it works, esp if you got proof to provide them,
and maybe they can match if they wanna keep your internet and long distance
business.

Ohioguy

Mar 3, 2010, 9:09:48 AM3/3/10
The Henchman wrote:
> Out of curiosity, do you have a cell phone? If so maybe Verizon will
> lower your house phone if you have a cell phone with them.

No, but I've been thinking about getting a T-Mobile for my wife.
I've heard that they have a $10 a year plan for those who really just
want them to be able to call for roadside assistance and such.

> Have you played hardball with Verizon and informed them that ATT has
> "better" rates? Sometimes it works, esp if you got proof to provide

Well, we are talking about Verizon home service, which means they
have a monopoly on it. There is no way I can switch my home line over
to AT&T at the new address - they don't provide service there, Verizon does.

I guess that is why Verizon can get away with charging more?

Message has been deleted

Gordon

Mar 6, 2010, 3:52:16 AM3/6/10
A Google search of "VOIP Providers" will bring up a pretty good list.

Ohioguy <no...@none.net> wrote in news:9Ugjn.41197$K81....@newsfe18.iad:

> I just got my first phone bill for our new house.

Ohioguy

Mar 7, 2010, 6:41:40 AM3/7/10
Gordon wrote:
> A Google search of "VOIP Providers" will bring up a pretty good list.

Sure it will, but I would rather hear from actual people who have
true life experiences with trying one, instead of advertisements from
companies trying to SELL me one.

Mrs Irish Mike

Mar 7, 2010, 11:00:49 AM3/7/10

You could try Magic Jack. $20 for the jack and $20 for a year of
service. Comes with everything you wanted, plus you can take the jack
with you if you have a laptop. Uses a regular phone, voicemail, caller
ID, you can pick your phone number, use a Beverly Hills number if you
want. This is the cheapest for what it is.

The only drawback is the computer must be on to make and recieve
calls. Also, like all VOIP there are issues with 911 calls.

Fort $40 for the first year and $20 a year thereafter, you can hardly
go wrong. and they offer a money back guarantee. Though I don't know
of anyone who has asked for their moneyback.

Zee

Mar 8, 2010, 9:30:15 PM3/8/10

Check out Onesuite VoIP service. It's only $2.95/month plus 2.5c per
minute on outgoing calls and incoming are always free. You can use it
with or without a computer. Check the details here ->
http://www.onesuite.com/products_Broadband_Main.asp