Drug Companies & Doctors: A Story of Corruption

david...@aol.com

Jan 8, 2009, 1:04:37 AM1/8/09
Drug Companies & Doctors: A Story of Corruption
By Marcia Angell
New York Review of Books, v. 56, no. 1, January 15, 2009

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/22237

Here's a writer, an M.D. and former editor of The New England Journal
of Medicine, saying that you can't trust most of the research studies
that are published anymore, as the pharmaceutical company/academic
medicine combine strives to define ever more new diseases and
disorders to treat with their largely worthless nostrums:

"The problems I've discussed are not limited to psychiatry, although
they reach their most florid form there. Similar conflicts of interest
and biases exist in virtually every field of medicine, particularly
those that rely heavily on drugs or devices. It is simply no longer
possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published,
or to rely on the judgment of trusted physicians or authoritative
medical guidelines. I take no pleasure in this conclusion, which I
reached slowly and reluctantly over my two decades as an editor of The
New England Journal of Medicine."

meow...@care2.com

Jan 9, 2009, 6:37:15 AM1/9/09
david...@aol.com wrote:
> Drug Companies & Doctors: A Story of Corruption
> By Marcia Angell
> New York Review of Books, v. 56, no. 1, January 15, 2009
>
> http://www.nybooks.com/articles/22237

> those that rely heavily on drugs or devices. It is simply no longer

> possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published,
> or to rely on the judgment of trusted physicians or authoritative
> medical guidelines. I take no pleasure in this conclusion, which I
> reached slowly and reluctantly over my two decades as an editor of The
> New England Journal of Medicine."

Good to see this stuff finally coming to light. Its a bit brief on the
methods used in trials, but its an excellent contribution and
explanation of concepts that seem to puzzle so many.

NT

meow...@care2.com

Jan 9, 2009, 6:40:24 AM1/9/09
meow2...@care2.com wrote:
> david...@aol.com wrote:

> > Drug Companies & Doctors: A Story of Corruption
> > By Marcia Angell
> > New York Review of Books, v. 56, no. 1, January 15, 2009
> >
> > http://www.nybooks.com/articles/22237

I was about to say this belongs in another group, but it can save many
people a lot of money on prescriptions.

NT