the "economy" and "good news" .

rocket scientist

Oct 31, 2009, 6:25:02 PM10/31/09
By Miral Fahmy � Fri�Oct�30, 12:59�am�ET
SINGAPORE (Reuters) � It seems the financial crisis isn't all doom and
gloom: one in four people are glad the world's economy slumped like it
did, because it helped them realize their priorities in life, according
to a global survey.
Market research firm Synovate polled around 11,400 people across the
world and found more than half had permanently changed their attitudes
toward money over the last 12 months.

for the rest of the story;

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091030/lf_nm_life/us_money_survey;_ylt=Agqrn
UJdgrJW1gM.N2JQTMKs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTJjYTFvb2RlBGFzc2V0A25tLzIwMDkxMDMwL3Vz
X21vbmV5X3N1cnZleQRwb3MDNwRzZWMDeW5fbW9zdF9wb3B1bGFyBHNsawN0aGFua2hlYXZlb
nM-

Les Cargill

Oct 31, 2009, 7:12:24 PM10/31/09

Rod Speed

Oct 31, 2009, 11:53:35 PM10/31/09
rocket scientist wrote:
> By Miral Fahmy � Fri Oct 30, 12:59 am ET
> SINGAPORE (Reuters) � It seems the financial crisis isn't all doom and
> gloom: one in four people are glad the world's economy slumped like it
> did, because it helped them realize their priorities in life, according to a global survey.

> Market research firm Synovate polled around 11,400 people across the
> world and found more than half had permanently changed their attitudes
> toward money over the last 12 months.

And it remains to be seen how much of that claimed permanent change actually is.

The great depression certainly did produce a permanent change in attitude in many, but its
unlikely that the current recession will, it hasnt even reached double digits unemployment.

Some countrys like Australia didnt even get a technical recession
or much of a change in the unemployment rate either.

The Real Bev

Nov 1, 2009, 3:50:31 PM11/1/09
Rod Speed wrote:

> rocket scientist wrote:
>> By Miral Fahmy � Fri Oct 30, 12:59 am ET
>> SINGAPORE (Reuters) � It seems the financial crisis isn't all doom and
>> gloom: one in four people are glad the world's economy slumped like it
>> did, because it helped them realize their priorities in life, according to a global survey.

Think -- would a sane person rejoice in misfortune because it made them get
their priorities in order? I posit that that response resulted from the
phrasing of the question.

Dumb people don't get smarter because they get slapped in the face with
unpleasant reality.

>> Market research firm Synovate polled around 11,400 people across the
>> world and found more than half had permanently changed their attitudes
>> toward money over the last 12 months.
>
> And it remains to be seen how much of that claimed permanent change actually is.

I may have taken that survey. I've been asked several times in a number of
surveys if my attitude has changed due to the current "hard times". I have to
answer no because it didn't need to. I've always been frugal and unwasteful
and careful with money. Sometimes they just don't ask the right questions.

> The great depression certainly did produce a permanent change in attitude in many, but its
> unlikely that the current recession will, it hasnt even reached double digits unemployment.

Depends on the area. Some are worse.

--
Cheers, Bev
Far away in a strange land

Rod Speed

Nov 1, 2009, 4:06:38 PM11/1/09
The Real Bev wrote

> Rod Speed wrote
>> rocket scientist wrote

>>> By Miral Fahmy � Fri Oct 30, 12:59 am ET

>>> SINGAPORE (Reuters) � It seems the financial crisis isn't all doom and gloom: one in four people are glad the
>>> world's economy slumped like it did, because it helped them realize their priorities in life, according to a global
>>> survey.

> Think

Too radical.

> -- would a sane person rejoice in misfortune because it made them get their priorities in order?

It didnt say anything about rejoice.

> I posit that that response resulted from the phrasing of the question.

You quire sure you aint one of those rocket scientist gorgons ?

> Dumb people don't get smarter because they get slapped in the face with unpleasant reality.

Plenty of people do change what they do when slapped in the face with unpleasant reality.

>>> Market research firm Synovate polled around 11,400 people across the world and found more than half had permanently
>>> changed their attitudes toward money over the last 12 months.

>> And it remains to be seen how much of that claimed permanent change actually is.

> I may have taken that survey. I've been asked several times in a number of surveys if my attitude has changed due to
> the current "hard times". I have to answer no because it didn't need to. I've always been frugal and unwasteful and
> careful with money.

That isnt likely to be true with many they asked.

> Sometimes they just don't ask the right questions.

That particular one doesnt appear to be too bad.

>> The great depression certainly did produce a permanent change in attitude in many, but its unlikely that the current
>> recession will,
>> it hasnt even reached double digits unemployment.

> Depends on the area. Some are worse.

Sure, but nowhere is anything like as bad as during the great depression.

sr

Nov 2, 2009, 7:41:25 PM11/2/09

"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in message
==
Speaking of which- American Experience (depression era) is on tonight public
broadcasting system at 9:00pm EST, Mon. Nov 2
FDR is on tonight (public works)