Re: Eyeglasses

1 view
Message has been deleted

The Real Bev

Dec 19, 2010, 7:57:17 PM12/19/10
On 12/19/10 15:54, poopsee2 wrote:

> This eyeglass place that advertises low prices for glasses, when I tried to
> order they try to tack on charges for UV coating and anti-scratch coating.
>
> Seems to me I remember reading a long time ago that you get those coatings
> will all lenses and this is just a gimmick to get more of your money.
>
> If not, does anyone know if these are worth the extra money or not.
>
> I did a google search on this for this group and found nothing.

Everybody charges extra for various coatings, which may or may not be
worthwhile. Zenni's minimum price is $7+$5 shipping per order, and they
tell you about any extra costs before you finalize your order. They
emailed me back a couple of times to make sure that what I'd ordered is
what I actually wanted, which I think is extremely thoughtful. Glasses
came in about 2 weeks. The cheap frames I selected have those nice
spring-hinges and are similar in quality to regular brick+mortar frames.
I paid no attention (at either place!) to the expensive 'designer'
frames, but brand names may mean a lot to you -- or not. Remember,
they're all made in China anyway.

Be sure your prescription is good, though. They take your word for it,
and your optometrist might not have been accurate -- sometimes it's a
real bitch telling the difference between 1, 2, and 'same'.

http://www.zennioptical.com/

--
Cheers, Bev
=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=

Metspitzer

Dec 19, 2010, 8:16:44 PM12/19/10
On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 16:57:17 -0800, The Real Bev
<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 12/19/10 15:54, poopsee2 wrote:
>
>> This eyeglass place that advertises low prices for glasses, when I tried to
>> order they try to tack on charges for UV coating and anti-scratch coating.
>>
>> Seems to me I remember reading a long time ago that you get those coatings
>> will all lenses and this is just a gimmick to get more of your money.
>>
>> If not, does anyone know if these are worth the extra money or not.
>>
>> I did a google search on this for this group and found nothing.
>
>Everybody charges extra for various coatings, which may or may not be
>worthwhile. Zenni's minimum price is $7+$5 shipping per order, and they
>tell you about any extra costs before you finalize your order. They
>emailed me back a couple of times to make sure that what I'd ordered is
>what I actually wanted, which I think is extremely thoughtful. Glasses
>came in about 2 weeks. The cheap frames I selected have those nice
>spring-hinges and are similar in quality to regular brick+mortar frames.
> I paid no attention (at either place!) to the expensive 'designer'
>frames, but brand names may mean a lot to you -- or not. Remember,
>they're all made in China anyway.
>
>Be sure your prescription is good, though. They take your word for it,
>and your optometrist might not have been accurate -- sometimes it's a
>real bitch telling the difference between 1, 2, and 'same'.

I just had my eyes tested. The difference between 1 and 2 is not as
important as if you can read the tiny line they show you at the end.

The Real Bev

Dec 19, 2010, 8:51:01 PM12/19/10

I can NEVER read that line. Apparently some uncorrectable astigmatism.
Shit happens.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Why does everybody always forget the eigthth dwarf? Just because

Message has been deleted

Tru Dat

Dec 20, 2010, 12:00:48 AM12/20/10
In article <iem5vh$u1o$1...@speranza.aioe.org>,
poopsee2 <poop...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> This eyeglass place that advertises low prices for glasses, when I tried to
> order they try to tack on charges for UV coating and anti-scratch coating.
>
> Seems to me I remember reading a long time ago that you get those coatings
> will all lenses and this is just a gimmick to get more of your money.
>
> If not, does anyone know if these are worth the extra money or not.
>
> I did a google search on this for this group and found nothing.

I Googled , Eye Exercises and found out sometimes you can do w/o them
damn glasses altogether. see, Vision Improvement.
Yes, I now no longer need glasses.
--
Karma, What a concept!

Rod Speed

Dec 20, 2010, 12:30:00 AM12/20/10
poopsee2 wrote

> This eyeglass place that advertises low prices for glasses, when I tried to
> order they try to tack on charges for UV coating and anti-scratch coating.

There are plenty of other cheap glasses sites which dont do that.

> Seems to me I remember reading a long time ago that you get those coatings will all lenses

That is just plain wrong.

> and this is just a gimmick to get more of your money.

Nope, they are desirable but optional.

Certainly with cheap glasses, you can make a case for not bothering with either.

> If not, does anyone know if these are worth the extra money or not.

That varys with how you treat your glasses with the anti scratch coating.
If you are very careful with them, and always wash the lenses with cold
water before cleaning them, there is no point in the anti scratch coating.

On the other hand, you can certainly make a case for an anti scratch
coating so you dont have to wash the lenses before cleaning them.

The UV coating obviously is useless if they are only reading glasses etc.

Rod Speed

Dec 20, 2010, 12:32:19 AM12/20/10
The Real Bev wrote
> poopsee2 wrote

>> This eyeglass place that advertises low prices for glasses, when I
>> tried to order they try to tack on charges for UV coating and
>> anti-scratch coating.

>> Seems to me I remember reading a long time ago that you get those coatings will all lenses and this is just a gimmick
>> to get more of your money.

>> If not, does anyone know if these are worth the extra money or not.

>> I did a google search on this for this group and found nothing.

> Everybody charges extra for various coatings,

No they dont, some include them for free.

Mrs Irish Mike

Dec 20, 2010, 10:31:37 AM12/20/10
On Dec 19, 9:32 pm, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:

> No they dont, some include them for free.

Yes they do, you drug addled loser.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Rod Speed

Dec 20, 2010, 4:51:44 PM12/20/10
poopsee2 wrote
> Derald <der...@invalid.net> wrote
>> poopsee2 <poop...@yahoo.com> wrote

>>> Seems to me I remember reading a long time ago that you get those
>>> coatings will all lenses and this is just a gimmick to get more of your money.

>>> If not, does anyone know if these are worth the extra money or not.

>> Federal standards specify a minimum impact resistance but
>> tempering for increased resistance, UV coating (not necessary for
>> glass lenses), scratch resistive and anti-reflective coatings
>> typically are additional, although, they may be included in the
>> price in competitive markets, especially, if you make it clear the
>> charges are a deal-breaker. It pays to shop around. The frames are
>> the profit-makers in that industry and it will pay you to educate
>> yourself in the hallmarks of quality frames in order not to be duped
>> into buying shoddy "fashion" frames that will not remain in proper
>> alignment over time.

> Why do you say that UV is not needed for glass lenses?

Because the glass absorbs the UV.

> I have beginning cataracts and UV light is one of the supposed causes.

Yes, but you dont get much UV with reading glasses, unless you read outside in the sun.

> For the life of me looking at the various frames I cannot tell the
> difference on visual inspection which are better than others, they
> all look the same with minor variations. I suppose if theya are all
> made in China we could be talking about bad metal or similar?

Nope, just poor design.

> I bought some plastic ones with the springs in the temple pieces,
> but I really don't know if this is a big advantage or not.

More personal preference than anything else. I like them myself.

> My sweat eats through the metal eventually

It wont with the better metals.

> (alien blood? haha), so I chose plastic this time.

It tends to get brittle with time. Whether that matters
depends on how often you change the glasses.

I went for about 30 years with just two pairs of metal framed
glasses which I kept changing just the lenses in, essentially
because they were so comfortable and convenient to use.

> The quality of all the frames I have ever had has
> not been that great, they all break down over time.

Well designed metal frames dont, and are much easier to change the lenses with too.

> I asked them for safety glasses but the frames they
> showed me were just as weak looking as the others.

Safety glasses dont have strong frames, just
make it harder for anything to get to the eyes.