Money ?

Okikuro

Feb 11, 2009, 10:24:24 AM2/11/09
paper bills are great for those that believe in..... gummint.
It's true "In God WE trust" a religion?
the smart invest in tools, non-perishable foods , the garden and maybe
a firearm or two.
People get ready because there's no train a comin'

You're on your own.

oh, yes, tomorrow, Evolution has a b-day. 200 yrs. and still evolving.

Evolution has been proven time and time again within independent
disciplines including biology, geology, paleontology, anthropology,
astronomy and others. To understand life and the world around us, we
need to embrace the concept of natural selection and its wondrous
results ã including us.
--
It's amazing what you can do. If...
you put your mind to it.

John A. Weeks III

Feb 11, 2009, 8:10:41 PM2/11/09
In article
<georgewkspam-C6F0...@sn-ip.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>,
Okikuro <george...@humboldt1.com> wrote:

> paper bills are great for those that believe in..... gummint.

Paper bills are money. You can buy anything you want with
it, and exchange it for goods and services. There is nothing
to believe in. If you have paper bills, you have money, and
you can spend it at will. Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise
is a looney.

-john-

John A. Weeks III           612-720-2854            jo...@johnweeks.com
Newave Communications                         http://www.johnweeks.com

Message has been deleted

Rod Speed

Feb 12, 2009, 1:39:37 AM2/12/09
josej...@ssnet.net wrote:

> Some economists predict that the U.S. will go into hyper inflation between 2010-2012.

Only the fools.

> I don't know how to prepare for that other then
> to plant a big garden and get some chickens.

You can also buy gold.

John A. Weeks III

Feb 12, 2009, 8:21:54 AM2/12/09
In article <job7p413th22m1dum...@4ax.com>,
josej...@ssnet.net wrote:

> Some economists predict that the U.S. will go into hyper inflation between

> 2010-2012. I don't know how to

> prepare for that other then to plant a big garden and get some chickens.

Some economists predicted that the stock market would crash every
year since I started paying attention to it in 1978. Other
economists predicted the dow to be at 36,000. Some people are
predicting that the world will end in 2012 when the Mayan calendar
ends. Other people predict the rapture every year. All of those
predictions are foo-foo, and not worth the paper that they are
written on. Anyone who believes such nonsense needs to have their
head examined. If you are one of those, please have a cat scan
scheduled as soon as you can.

Okikuro

Feb 14, 2009, 12:25:01 AM2/14/09
In article <6vhuhbF...@mid.individual.net>,
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You can also buy gold.

how much over the price of gold (troy oz.) should one pay for a coin?
Like the Canadian Maple Leaf?

Rod Speed

Feb 14, 2009, 3:40:47 AM2/14/09
Okikuro wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>> You can also buy gold.

> how much over the price of gold (troy oz.) should one pay for a coin?

I prefer to stick with real gold myself.

Dennis

Feb 14, 2009, 12:57:51 PM2/14/09
On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 21:25:01 -0800, Okikuro
<george...@humboldt1.com> wrote:

>how much over the price of gold (troy oz.) should one pay for a coin?
>Like the Canadian Maple Leaf?

These guys are usually fairly competitive, price-wise. At least their
site should give you some idea.

http://www.ajpm.com

My only affiliation is being a (satisfied) customer in the past.

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm behind the eight ball, ahead of the curve, riding the wave,
dodging the bullet and pushing the envelope. -George Carlin

Devo

Feb 16, 2009, 1:12:21 PM2/16/09
In article <6vnecdF...@mid.individual.net>,
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

the only trouble with a nugget is the assay costs . not as easily
"recognized".

Rod Speed

Feb 16, 2009, 2:17:26 PM2/16/09
Devo wrote

> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> Okikuro wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> how much over the price of gold (troy oz.) should one pay for a coin?

>> I prefer to stick with real gold myself.

>>> Like the Canadian Maple Leaf?

> the only trouble with a nugget is the assay costs . not as easily "recognized".

Depends on the real gold you use. Some are serial numbered quite small bars with a proper provenance certificate etc.

Coffee's For Closers

Feb 17, 2009, 2:50:54 PM2/17/09
In article <john-76FC8E.1...@news-3.octanews.net>,
jo...@johnweeks.com says...

> In article
> <georgewkspam-C6F0...@sn-ip.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>,
> Okikuro <george...@humboldt1.com> wrote:
>
> > paper bills are great for those that believe in..... gummint.

> Paper bills are money. You can buy anything you want with
> it, and exchange it for goods and services. There is nothing
> to believe in. If you have paper bills, you have money, and
> you can spend it at will. Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise
> is a looney.

The required belief is that, the money I receive today,
will still have a similar buying power when I spend it
next week, or next year.

Inflation means that, the money will be gradually degraded, the
longer I hold it. Hyperinflation can crush your paycheque's
value within hours. Which is why people lose "belief" in the
currency, and may even refuse to accept it.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/

Jeff

Feb 19, 2009, 10:52:43 PM2/19/09
josej...@ssnet.net wrote:
> Some economists predict that the U.S. will go into hyper inflation between 2010-2012.

Oh yeah. Which economists? Or is this something you heard on wingnut
radio? Or from wingnut friends?

If anything, durable goods and commodities are falling. T-Bills are
in such high demand the yields are near zero.

Jeff

I don't know how to
> prepare for that other then to plant a big garden and get some chickens.
>

> On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 19:10:41 -0600, in misc.consumers.frugal-living "John A. Weeks III" <jo...@johnweeks.com>

Don Klipstein

Feb 22, 2009, 11:01:38 PM2/22/09
In article <wsmdnbT18b6TtAPU...@earthlink.com>, Jeff wrote:
>josej...@ssnet.net wrote:
>> Some economists predict that the U.S. will go into hyper inflation
>> between 2010-2012.
>
>Oh yeah. Which economists? Or is this something you heard on wingnut
>radio? Or from wingnut friends?
>
> If anything, durable goods and commodities are falling. T-Bills are
>in such high demand the yields are near zero.

That is the current situation. However, trillion dollar deficits with
Obama hoping to get annual defecits down to half a trillion by 2013 sound
to me like a warning sign that the dollar will fall significantly against
other currencies. With USA importing so much, I expect inflation to
uptick, with probably a couple to a few years in upper single digits,
maybe a year or two getting close to or barely into double digits.

I would keep a hawk eye out for revisions to determination of Consumer
Price Index. That has occurred before. Although somewhat honestly, I
find not completely so but with some trickery to get that number lower.
For example, the Reagan administration achieved (IIRC in 1983) inclusion
of mortgage interest into the "CPI basket" - fair to do so, although that
was done at a specific time when mortgage interest had recently come off a
historic high point and had some expectation to spend years going down
(which actually occurred).

- Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)

Rod Speed

Feb 23, 2009, 1:37:53 AM2/23/09
Don Klipstein wrote
> Jeff wrote
>> josej...@ssnet.net wrote

>>> Some economists predict that the U.S. will go into hyper inflation between 2010-2012.

>> Oh yeah. Which economists? Or is this something you
>> heard on wingnut radio? Or from wingnut friends?

>> If anything, durable goods and commodities are falling.
>> T-Bills are in such high demand the yields are near zero.

> That is the current situation. However, trillion dollar deficits
> with Obama hoping to get annual defecits down to half a
> trillion by 2013 sound to me like a warning sign that the
> dollar will fall significantly against other currencies.

In fact, with the trillions that Bush pissed against the wall, the exact opposite
happened. Currency relativitys are more complicated than they look.

> With USA importing so much, I expect inflation to uptick,

No reason why it should, particularly with china's currency losely locked to the USD.

> with probably a couple to a few years in upper single digits,
> maybe a year or two getting close to or barely into double digits.

Taint gunna happen, essentially because the world economy is tanking very spectacularly indeed.

> I would keep a hawk eye out for revisions to determination
> of Consumer Price Index. That has occurred before.

Mindless conspiracy theory.

> Although somewhat honestly, I find not completely
> so but with some trickery to get that number lower.

There is no trickery involved. They just have different ideas about how it should be measured.

It can never be more than a very rough measure of the prices most experience.

> For example, the Reagan administration achieved (IIRC in 1983)
> inclusion of mortgage interest into the "CPI basket" - fair to do so,

Thats arguable when its not the price of a good.

Message has been deleted

Rod Speed

Feb 26, 2009, 4:11:01 PM2/26/09
josej...@ssnet.net wrote:

> In early February of 2009 Yu Yongding, a former adviser to the
> Chinese central bank said. "In talks with Clinton, China will ask for
> a guarantee that the U.S. will support the dollar's exchange rate and
> make sure China's dollar-denominated assets are safe," and "That
> would be one of the prerequisites for more purchases." One week later
> President Obama made a vow to half the US public debt by 2013.
> Perhaps Obama's vow was in response to China asking for a guarantee.

Or perhaps not.