Tracfone question

KenK

Nov 29, 2014, 11:46:58 AM11/29/14
I got a new Tracfone cell and activated it yesterday. Unfortunately, it did
not get a phone number. It took tech support over an hour to get me a
number. Then the number turned out to have the wrong area code - 520
instead of 928. (Our area code used to be 520 but it was changed to 928
some ten years ago!) I didn't change it then because due to the unexpected
long service call I now had other things I needed to do.

Question, after all these problems do I dare to call them again this
weekend and request a phone number change to the correct area code? If I
don't, any local land line calls to me will be charged long distance. I'm
afraid something will go wrong and mess up my paid for year's time.

Suggestions?

TIA

21bla...@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2014, 1:47:45 PM11/29/14
i use tracfone, for 10+ years now,
but how would anyone know what you will encounter this weekend?

any excuse,
and i will be trying either Republic Wireless, or Ting,
both recommended by Consumer Reports

marc

terrable

Nov 29, 2014, 5:46:35 PM11/29/14

"KenK" <inv...@invalid.com> wrote in message
>I got a new Tracfone cell and activated it yesterday. Unfortunately, it did
> not get a phone number. It took tech support over an hour to get me a
> number. Then the number turned out to have the wrong area code - 520
> instead of 928. (Our area code used to be 520 but it was changed to 928
> some ten years ago!) I didn't change it then because due to the unexpected
> long service call I now had other things I needed to do.
>
> Question, after all these problems do I dare to call them again this
> weekend and request a phone number change to the correct area code? If I
> don't, any local land line calls to me will be charged long distance. I'm
> afraid something will go wrong and mess up my paid for year's time.
>
> Suggestions?

You know people with land lines that have to pay for each long distance
call?

Tell them to get a plan, a cell phone or Google Voice and call long distance
for free.

tra...@optonline.net

Dec 1, 2014, 8:58:49 AM12/1/14
It's not just an issue of if it's toll call or not. Some people, for
various legitimate reasons, want an area code that's associated with their location, even though it's becoming less relevant.

As to whether to call and see if it can be changed, what does the OP have
to lose? I don't see how he could have gotten one that he didn't want
to begin with. It sounds like he gave them some indication that the area
code was acceptable. But, since it's one day, they may change it. And
most of these companies will change a number for a small charge anytime.
The only way to find out is call and ask and that's free.

Dennis

Dec 3, 2014, 10:16:17 AM12/3/14
On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 10:47:42 -0800 (PST), 21bla...@gmail.com wrote:

>i use tracfone, for 10+ years now,
>but how would anyone know what you will encounter this weekend?
>
>any excuse,
>and i will be trying either Republic Wireless, or Ting,
>both recommended by Consumer Reports
>
>marc

I recently switched from Tracfone to Republic's $10/mo. plan on a Moto
G. So far (~2 weeks), so good.

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm a hands-on, footloose, knee-jerk head case. -George Carlin