cheap property in WV,KY,NC,TN? want to build unrestricted

1 view

sr

Oct 1, 2009, 2:58:59 PM10/1/09
Looking for a place with less snow.
Looking at container housing
must have unrestriced property
anyone know of cheap property that does not flood?
Sandy in Maine

Rod Speed

Oct 1, 2009, 4:33:25 PM10/1/09
sr wrote:
> Looking for a place with less snow.
> Looking at container housing
> must have unrestriced property

> anyone know of cheap property that does not flood?

Lots of that in deserts and on hilltops etc without any services.

Gary Heston

Oct 1, 2009, 11:33:48 PM10/1/09
In article <cc53a$4ac4fbfe$ccb5842c$71...@ispn.net>,

The Chickpeas seem to be happy with north Alabama. Most of the
counties here don't have any zoning.

Cheap property that doesn't flood is likely to be sloped and a
long way from anywhere, including from broadband access.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
"Where large, expensive pieces of exotic woods are converted to valueless,

sr

Oct 2, 2009, 6:28:21 AM10/2/09
Thanks, still looking, time comsuming. Looking to live a simple life and
self sufficient. Humidy in AL? Still, I'll search it out.
Anyone have any building experience with cargo or freight container housing?

hchi...@hotmail.com

Oct 2, 2009, 6:01:09 PM10/2/09

This is for north Alabama-
Humidity and heat varies tremendously according to the season. This
past summer wasn't very bad at all, temps mostly high 80s, humidity
within reason - not like Florida where heat and humidity combine to
excess. The summer before was drought and temps were in the triple
digits during the days. Spring and fall are great. Winter gets down
into the 20s, sometimes colder, but not for long stretches.

Cargo containers go for about 2K around here and are readily
available. They aren't used much for housing because it is easier and
less expensive to get a used mobile home in relatively good condition.

Cargo containers need insulation, have issues with condensation, are
narrower than even older mobile homes, and in short are not a real
good solution to anything except maybe a shop or storage.

Be aware that life in the rural south revolves around religion and to
a lesser extent football. If you aren't used to it, it can be a
culture shock.

Simple life - gardens need electric fencing to keep from being eaten
by deer, racoons, and groundhogs. Soil is often rocky and clay, and
hard to till. There are any number of invasive plants that need to be
kept under control. Coyotes and feral dogs are common. Tick checks
are a regular exercise in the summer. Fire ants require regular
control. The "simple" life is usually anything but simple, and
finding employment can be a challenge.

Other than WV, the states you listed all have more regulation than AL.

sr

Oct 2, 2009, 6:22:07 PM10/2/09
lots of good advice, much to think about, for sure.
Clay, huh? I see a device that makes bricks, orig. came from South America,
I believe. Takes ths to make a home, good exercise in the process.
Cheap, ,0103to make a brick.
I would use spray foam for inside of cargo or shipping container. I love
foam for insulation, just discovered the panels. Insulated the house, after
22 years, I was finally warm here in Maine. Anyway, I believe it would keep
the heat out, also. As for narrow container, put 2 side by side. ? I have
spent all day searching the internet for property. And, I'll spend many
more days, I expect.
thanks
<hchi...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

m...@privacy.net

Oct 2, 2009, 8:27:55 PM10/2/09
"sr" <sol...@uninets.net> wrote:

>lots of good advice, much to think about, for sure.

Hannibal MO

Ralls County Missouri...cheap and know restrictions

sr

Oct 2, 2009, 8:50:08 PM10/2/09
I'll take a look. Put it in the search engine.
What is it like to live in MO? Tell me about the weather, surroundings,
etc.

<m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

Tony Sivori

Oct 9, 2009, 12:21:24 PM10/9/09
sr wrote:

Instead of building, have you considered an existing structure, priced
right? Some of the less desirable HUD repos are dirt cheap. In some cases,
where I live (Louisville KY) way under $20,000. I've seen some houses go
for less than $10,000.

The good things about HUD repos compared to bank repos are that you do not
compete with house flippers and investors. HUD gives preference to owner
occupants. Second, although there is no warranty, HUD will not
intentionally hide defects regarding the property.

http://portal.hud.gov/portal/page/portal/HUD/topics/hud_homes

--
Tony Sivori

sr

Oct 9, 2009, 2:59:23 PM10/9/09
Thanks for the insight. I'll check into it. Is Lousiville, KY a safe
place?
thank you
I've been looking at Columbia, KY. Than I see there are a lot of Meth Labs
in some areas, that I have looked at, online.
This hasn't hit that hard in Maine, yet.
But, we are about 20 yrs. behind everyone else.

,
"Tony Sivori" <TonyS...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Tony Sivori

Oct 10, 2009, 12:46:55 AM10/10/09
sr wrote:

> Thanks for the insight. I'll check into it. Is Lousiville, KY a safe
> place?
> thank you
> I've been looking at Columbia, KY. Than I see there are a lot of Meth
> Labs in some areas, that I have looked at, online. This hasn't hit
> that hard in Maine, yet. But, we are about 20 yrs. behind everyone else.

Like most cities, some areas are safer than others. There are meth
users and meth labs around here.

sr

Oct 10, 2009, 2:22:04 PM10/10/09
Went on the site: I see sm. houses, looks good, for 10,000 in sm towns.
KY, NC,WV
also one for 1,500. But that is a row house type in WV.
The economy is coming down even more with more unpaid mortages so they will
get much lower, I believe
.
I hear a person can get a house in Detroit for a dollar.
I'm not that person

thanks for the lead, looks promising,
I'll call HUD come Tue, for sure.

In my other life I dealt with alc. and drug people.
enough,
I'm too old for that type of excitement

"Tony Sivori" <TonyS...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Tony Sivori

Oct 11, 2009, 2:10:04 AM10/11/09
sr wrote:

> Went on the site: I see sm. houses, looks good, for 10,000 in sm towns.
> KY, NC,WV
> also one for 1,500. But that is a row house type in WV. The economy is
> coming down even more with more unpaid mortages so they will get much
> lower, I believe

With HUD repos, it pays to be patient. New houses are listed every Friday,
and sometimes Wednesday. It helps to be familiar with the market area
you're considering, that way you will know a great deal when you see it.

sr

Oct 11, 2009, 10:44:34 PM10/11/09
Ran into a site that gives profile :states cities and towns plus a forum
for questions
http://www.city-data.com/

vjp...@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com

Oct 12, 2009, 2:11:47 AM10/12/09
Look at usgs.gov for geohazards maps (quake,tornado, flooding, hurricane)

The areas you mention are Appallachian, hence exposed to New Madrid quakes.
Mostly minor tremors, but the 150yr cycle big one never came yet.
Plus if they start drilling for oil & gas, might destabilise.

Very unusual, but Hurricane Ivan in 2004 actually went up the Appallachians.

Also, check if the areas have water, sewer, methane and electricity.

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2