Black+white caterpillars are poisonous

zeez JosephineJoseph rules

Aug 13, 2011, 2:32:57 AM8/13/11
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/insects/tussock.asp

Claim: Black and white caterpillars are venomous.
TRUE

Example: [Collected via e-mail, August 2011]

Little white and black caterpillars all over are POISONOUS. they are
apparently new to the area..... doctors say there has been numerous
kids having reactions to them. the rash spreads fast. the caterpillars
have long white hairs that embed in skin and send poison through out
the body. DO NOT TOUCH and DO NOT LET YOUR KIDS TOUCH!!! they look
cute and fuzzy and THEY ARE NOT! Please repost to everyone you know
with little kids!!

(more on web site)

--
## _________________________________________________
###### l l

news

Aug 15, 2011, 11:42:21 PM8/15/11
On 8/13/2011 2:32 AM, zeez JosephineJoseph rules wrote:
> http://www.snopes.com/horrors/insects/tussock.asp
>

> Claim: Black and white caterpillars are venomous.
> TRUE
>
> Example: [Collected via e-mail, August 2011]
>
> Little white and black caterpillars all over are POISONOUS. they are
> apparently new to the area..... doctors say there has been numerous
> kids having reactions to them. the rash spreads fast. the caterpillars
> have long white hairs that embed in skin and send poison through out
> the body. DO NOT TOUCH and DO NOT LET YOUR KIDS TOUCH!!! they look
> cute and fuzzy and THEY ARE NOT! Please repost to everyone you know
> with little kids!!

If your kid plays with caterpillars and they die, too bad. BTW, what
species are these "black and white" caterpillars?

Ron Peterson

Aug 18, 2011, 1:45:24 PM8/18/11
On Aug 15, 8:42 pm, news <n...@news.org> wrote:

> If your kid plays with caterpillars and they die, too bad. BTW, what
> species are these "black and white" caterpillars?

White Hickory Tussock Moth Caterpillar are not actually poisonous,
their hairs are very allergenic to some people, resulting in an itchy
rash.

--
Ron

deja.blues

Aug 22, 2011, 10:21:01 PM8/22/11
On 8/13/2011 2:32 AM, zeez JosephineJoseph rules wrote:
> http://www.snopes.com/horrors/insects/tussock.asp
>

> Claim: Black and white caterpillars are venomous.
> TRUE

If you eat caterpillars you deserve to die.

enigma

Aug 29, 2011, 8:56:02 PM8/29/11
"deja.blues" <deja....@gmail.com> wrote in news:4e530e96$1@news.x-
privat.org:

tussock hairs might irritate some people, but that doesn't mean "OMG!!!
it's poisonous!!!" really, it's no big deal at all.
lee

deja.blues

Sep 7, 2011, 10:48:55 PM9/7/11

Hey, I'm on the side of the caterpillars!