Baby oil can be lethal

1 view

zeez

Jun 13, 2011, 6:30:09 AM6/13/11
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/parental/babyoil.asp

Baby Oil Danger
Claim: Infants have died or suffered debilitating respiration
problems after aspirating baby oil.
Example : [Collected via e -mail , October 2008 ]
I have received several e -mails telling about how a small
child was playing with a bottle of baby oil and ended up
with it all over them , especially the head and face. The
child was rushed to the hospital in respirator distress
later that day or that evening. The story goes that the
child breathed the baby oil into the lungs and the oil
began coated the bronchial tubes and slowly suffocated
the child . There was nothing the hospital staff could to
stop it .
Origins: The most common and seemingly innocuous of
household products may have the potential to cause serious
illness (or even death) under certain circumstances , and even
products we know should be treated with caution ( especially
around children) may pose completely unanticipated dangers.
The example cited above invokes both of these factors in telling
the tale of a small child who supposedly died from suffocation
after inhaling baby oil he had smeared on himself .<snip>