Portable word processor

aesthete8

Jan 5, 2010, 8:21:42 PM1/5/10
I have come to think that I really don't need to be online since I do
primarily editing.

Any recommendations for a portable word processor?

Al

Jan 5, 2010, 9:59:25 PM1/5/10

The word processor is on your computer so you never need to be online
to use it anyway. If you have a Microsoft OS it comes with a basic
word processor called Word Pad. If you bought a bundled computer it
could have a more complicated word processor. If you have nothing, you
can find a bunch of good ones on the Internet. Open Office has a
complete suite of word programs and spread sheet stuff. Then there is
Atlantis and a bunch more. If you want really portable, you can
install them on an $8 flash drive and take them jogging with you if
you desire. Plug in to any computer and start editing.

Message has been deleted

Al

Jan 7, 2010, 8:45:07 AM1/7/10
On Jan 7, 6:52 am, Shawn Hirn <s...@comcast.net> wrote:
> In article
> <896500a2-efca-43f6-9b6d-7fa28d30a...@k19g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>,
> Any laptop will do what you need.

Now I think the poster is looking for one of those old fashion word
processing typewriter things. Cheap computers have replaced them so a
cheap laptop would indeed be the solution. People don't provide enough
information in posts sometimes to get a good answer.

RickMerrill

Jan 7, 2010, 3:02:07 PM1/7/10

Little kid sees a typewriter in a museum, "Look Mom, this computer has
the printer buit in!"

aesthete8

Jan 10, 2010, 5:47:06 PM1/10/10
> the printer buit in!"- Hide quoted text -

But that's what I need--something that I can stick a sheet of paper
into to be printed out.

Dan Birchall

Jan 23, 2010, 12:55:21 AM1/23/10

I used to find these devices interesting, but nowadays your typical
"portable word processor" looks like a 1980-era "laptop" with a tiny
2-3 line LCD display at the top of a keyboard. I think you'd be much
better off with a general-purpose laptop or even a "netbook" - just
get a low-powered one with good battery life. Sure, it's going to be
capaable of going online too, but you don't have to use that capability
all the time.

(I also do a fair bit of editing, but I don't feel the need to have a
separate device just for that purpose.)

--
Oh, wicked, bad, naughty, _evil_ Dan! He is a _naughty_ person...

John Weiss

Jan 23, 2010, 3:13:48 PM1/23/10
Dan Birchall wrote:

> art...@gmail.com (aesthete8) wrote:
> > I have come to think that I really don't need to be online since I
> > do primarily editing.
> >
> > Any recommendations for a portable word processor?
>
> I used to find these devices interesting, but nowadays your typical
> "portable word processor" looks like a 1980-era "laptop" with a tiny
> 2-3 line LCD display at the top of a keyboard. I think you'd be much
> better off with a general-purpose laptop or even a "netbook" - just
> get a low-powered one with good battery life. Sure, it's going to be
> capaable of going online too, but you don't have to use that
> capability all the time.

I agree. Add OpenOffice (which you'll have to download or get from
someone else), and you have it.

John

Jan 25, 2010, 6:09:19 AM1/25/10
You can probably buy a budget netbook for around $500 these days. If
you get one with the Linux OS, you can obtain free word processing
software.

SMS

Jan 25, 2010, 11:17:59 AM1/25/10

Canon NoteJet:
"http://www.smartcomputing.com/images/smartcomputing/fullsize/293n0912.jpg"

However nowadays a $300 desktop replacement laptop, or a netbook, and a
portable printer like the HP OfficeJet H470 ($150) would be a better
choice. Add Open Office.

Rod Speed

Jan 25, 2010, 1:28:11 PM1/25/10
John wrote:

> You can probably buy a budget netbook for around $500 these days.

Hell of a lot less than that, actually.

> If you get one with the Linux OS, you can obtain free word processing software.

You can with Win too.

Message has been deleted