I remember back when...

The Real Bev

Oct 12, 2009, 10:26:57 PM10/12/09
This was a good group. Looks like the recent spate of political crap has even
discouraged Rod from posting.

It's a fucking shame that people are as stupid as they are.

--
Cheers, Bev
Never argue with a woman holding a torque wrench.

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Oct 13, 2009, 1:01:12 AM10/13/09
In article
<hb0ogp$glq$1...@news.eternal-september.org
The Real Bev <bashle...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> This was a good group. Looks like the recent spate of political crap has
> even discouraged Rod from posting.

So, every cloud does have a silver lining

Bill

Oct 13, 2009, 10:23:42 AM10/13/09
"The Real Bev" wrote in message

> This was a good group. Looks like the recent spate of political crap has
> even discouraged Rod from posting.

It's like pornography when searching for something on the internet. Search
for any topic and some porno site will show up in the search (They do this
by sticking every word in the dictionary on their pages). I know where that
stuff is if I choose to look at it, but when I'm searching for car repair,
home repair, whatever, I would like to find those topics.

Same with politics. I know where the political groups are if I choose to
read that. I don't post frugal topics in the political groups.

Ignore them and they will go away. Also you can respond and delete the
misc.consumers.frugal-living cross post (leave the others). That will help
to get them to go away.

hchi...@hotmail.com

Oct 13, 2009, 12:26:30 PM10/13/09
On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 19:26:57 -0700, The Real Bev
<bashle...@gmail.com> wrote:

>This was a good group. Looks like the recent spate of political crap has even
>discouraged Rod from posting.
>
>It's a fucking shame that people are as stupid as they are.

There is not a smidgen of doubt in my mind that when that famous
internet search engine bought out deja, there was every intention of
killing usenet. There is no profit to be made with it, there is
little control, and as far as providers, the RIAA and music industry,
the government, and so on, it is something that all of them wish would
just go away.

If someone told me that Rod was getting a supplemental check for
services rendered, it wouldn't surprise me. If the shoe spam was
somehow sanctioned, it wouldn't surprise me. If the cross-posting was
done with malicious intent, it wouldn't surprise me. Not saying that
any of those are absolutely happening, but I am saying that there is a
HUGE amount of money that does not want unfettered, unmoderated, free
speech and sharing. Welcome to the 21st century. Sig Heil and
newspeak!

The Real Bev

Oct 13, 2009, 2:47:14 PM10/13/09
Bill wrote:

Sorry, this seems unlikely. It requires a decision on the part of rabid loons
to do the right thing, which just doesn't happen.

I've tried removing mcfl from the list and setting the follow-up to one of the
political groups, but that doesn't seem to work. Perhaps if we keep doing that
while offering opinions so annoying that they will all respond will help, but I
doubt it.

--
Cheers, Bev
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

The Real Bev

Oct 13, 2009, 2:59:39 PM10/13/09
hchi...@hotmail.com wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 19:26:57 -0700, The Real Bev
> <bashle...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>This was a good group. Looks like the recent spate of political crap has even
>>discouraged Rod from posting.
>>
>>It's a fucking shame that people are as stupid as they are.
>
> There is not a smidgen of doubt in my mind that when that famous
> internet search engine bought out deja, there was every intention of
> killing usenet.

OTOH, I think just letting deja die, which is what was happening, would have
accomplished that more quickly. I think the people at google at that time
LIKED usenet and regarded it as valuable. At least I'd LIKE to think that.

> There is no profit to be made with it, there is
> little control, and as far as providers, the RIAA and music industry,
> the government, and so on, it is something that all of them wish would
> just go away.

It costs the ISPs money for a decreasing number of users, so add them to the
list. I complained to Charter about their lousy usenet service and there
wasn't a single helpdroid (even the ones without Indian accents) who knew what
usenet is. One guy thought it was that extra-cost satellite internet service
that they didn't support. I'm surprised that nobody told me it was the evil
entity in the Terminator movies, but I only talked to a dozen people or so.

> If someone told me that Rod was getting a supplemental check for
> services rendered, it wouldn't surprise me. If the shoe spam was
> somehow sanctioned, it wouldn't surprise me.

I haven't been getting a lot of that since I switched to eternal-september. I
also added whatever filters I could (Thunderbird doesn't allow an awful lot of
filter options). I like E-T.

> If the cross-posting was
> done with malicious intent, it wouldn't surprise me. Not saying that
> any of those are absolutely happening, but I am saying that there is a
> HUGE amount of money that does not want unfettered, unmoderated, free
> speech and sharing. Welcome to the 21st century. Sig Heil and
> newspeak!

Those who don't know about memory holes should learn.

--
Cheers, Bev
It's not the speed that kills, it's the stopping.

holarchy

Oct 13, 2009, 6:12:44 PM10/13/09
hchi...@hotmail.com wrote:

> There is not a smidgen of doubt in my mind that when that famous internet
> search engine bought out deja, there was every intention of killing usenet.

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you
have always been completely off with the fucking fairies.

> There is no profit to be made with it, there is little control, and
> as far as providers, the RIAA and music industry, the government,
> and so on, it is something that all of them wish would just go away.

How odd that they actually allow posting to usenet.

> If someone told me that Rod was getting a supplemental check for
> services rendered, it wouldn't surprise me. If the shoe spam was
> somehow sanctioned, it wouldn't surprise me. If the cross-posting was
> done with malicious intent, it wouldn't surprise me. Not saying that
> any of those are absolutely happening, but I am saying that there is a
> HUGE amount of money that does not want unfettered, unmoderated, free
> speech and sharing. Welcome to the 21st century. Sig Heil and newspeak!

How odd that they actually allow posting to usenet.

Rod Speed

Oct 13, 2009, 6:17:47 PM10/13/09
The Real Bev wrote
> hchi...@hotmail.com wrote

>> The Real Bev <bashle...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> This was a good group. Looks like the recent spate of political crap has even discouraged Rod from posting.

>>> It's a fucking shame that people are as stupid as they are.

>> There is not a smidgen of doubt in my mind that when that famous
>> internet search engine bought out deja, there was every intention of
>> killing usenet.

No wonder its completely unemployable.

> OTOH, I think just letting deja die, which is what was happening,
> would have accomplished that more quickly. I think the people at
> google at that time LIKED usenet and regarded it as valuable. At
> least I'd LIKE to think that.

Corse they did. Thats why they allowed posting to usenet.

And while that is a problem spam wise, its also where
the absolute vast bulk of the new posters have come from.

hchi...@hotmail.com

Oct 15, 2009, 2:07:37 PM10/15/09
On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 09:12:44 +1100, "holarchy" <hola...@nospam.com>
wrote:

>Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you
>have always been completely off with the fucking fairies.

I see fuckwad is still around, being a loser as usual. Hi, fuckwad!
(waves with a salute)