How To Clean Your Clothes Dryer Vent

Paul Michaels

Sep 19, 2010, 1:00:37 PM9/19/10
I read a home fire safety article recently and it inspired me to clean
the hot air exhaust vent on our clothes dryer. I also figured it would
help the appliance run more efficiently and cost us less money to use.

I used a wet/dry shop vacuum, but just doing the cleaning by hand
works really well too. I took pictures of the process and created a
quick guide.

Here's the gallery - http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Clothes-Dryer-Exhaust-Vent-Lint-Cleaning-Guide

There were some small holes around the part of the hose that connects
to the outside vent, so I used metal HVAC duct tape to create a better
seal. That should prevent any of the hot air from entering the house
and making the air conditioner work harder.

I hope someone finds it to be useful.

Cheers,
Paul Michaels
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Max

Sep 19, 2010, 1:21:29 PM9/19/10

That flexible vent tube you are using would be illegal in many parts
of the country including my state. It has been the source of numerous
dryer vent fires. You better keep cleaning it very regularly. Maybe
you are the last person to figure this out. Congrats!

Message has been deleted

Susan Bugher

Sep 20, 2010, 7:04:14 PM9/20/10
WaIIy wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 10:21:29 -0700 (PDT), Max
> <im.1.max...@xoxy.net> wrote:

>>> I read a home fire safety article recently and it inspired me to clean
>>> the hot air exhaust vent on our clothes dryer. I also figured it would
>>> help the appliance run more efficiently and cost us less money to use.
>>>
>>> I used a wet/dry shop vacuum, but just doing the cleaning by hand
>>> works really well too. I took pictures of the process and created a
>>> quick guide.
>>>
>>> Here's the gallery -
http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Clothes-Dryer-Exhaust-Vent-Lint-Cleaning-Guide

In my experience cleaning lint out of a flexible plastic vent pipe with
a manual cleaning tool that has a hemi-spherical plastic bristle head
(Webster Duster or similar) is easier, quicker and more effective than
using a vacuum.

<SNIP>

>> That flexible vent tube you are using would be illegal in many parts
>> of the country including my state. It has been the source of numerous

>> dryer vent fires. <SNIP>

I've only heard first-hand about one dryer fire and the story on that
was that a flexible vent pipe was NOT the problem. The vent path was
completely clogged with lint - at the lint trap.

Rigid vent pipe is now usually mandated because it is less prone to lint
build-up than flexible pipe => OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL there's a little
less chance of a fire due to clogging of the vent path if rigid vent
pipe is used.

Susan