products behind wrong price stickers at stores - on purpose?

1 view

Ohioguy

Nov 3, 2009, 6:17:32 PM11/3/09
Today I bought a couple of items at the grocery store - mussels in
garlic and wine sauce, and a package of crab rangoons. Both had marked
down price stickers that said $2.99 in front of the rows of products.

However, after I paid, instead of the $5.98 total I was expecting, I
ended up getting back only 2c in change from a 10 spot.

I complained, saying that both items had been priced $2.99, but she
told me I'd have to take it up with customer service. I saw a long line
there, and since I was holding our 8 month old, and also had our 5 & 6
year olds along, I decided to simply walk back and double check the labels.

Well, it turn out that once again, they put a whole pile of a
different product behind another price sticker. The price is really
large, but the description is small, so I didn't notice it.

If they do this sort of thing a lot, it could give them higher
products. I wonder if they do this on purpose?

Bill

Nov 4, 2009, 9:52:02 AM11/4/09
I do most of my grocery shopping once a month. Then throughout the month, I
might need just one or two items...

So many times I go to the grocery store and buy a couple of things. And when
I do this, I notice and remember the price.

Many times the price on the shelf is lower than the register price! ALWAYS
higher, NEVER lower! I make them check the price and give me the lower
price.

Might try taking a notebook and writing down all the prices, then place the
items on the checkout in order of your list, see how many prices are
higher...

Al

Nov 4, 2009, 5:29:27 PM11/4/09

The store has to make the correction and a bonus for a true scanner
error. With the price sticker on the item, you had them beat except
for the kids. It is maddening. These errors are never in the
consumer's favor. Of course, stores know consumers will never tell
them to raise the price to correct for an error in the customers
direction either.
You could always do like Bruce Williams used to suggest to some
people. Take that rat of a Ford van of yours and pick up all the kids
on the block and buy them an ice cream. Then go talk to customer
service with your demands.
When my 13 year old was about 7-8, I used to pull my 23 year old
Malibu up to the Chevy dealership front door and proceed to review all
the cars. She loved to slide under the cars on that nice tile floor
and pull all the levers and devices on the dash boards. At this point,
I'm keeping close watch on my keys. I should never have told her I was
driving at 13.

frie...@zoocrewphoto.com

Nov 5, 2009, 2:53:17 AM11/5/09

Some stores offer a price guarantee. For example, I work at Safeway.
If the price at the register is different (higher or lower) than the
the sign, you get the item for free. If you have multiples of that
item, you get the first one free, and the rest at the lower price.

I do the price audit for my department which means that each week, I
go around and scan EVERY item and compare the price on the telzon
(portable device that shows the current price at the register). I
check these in the afternoon on ad change day. This is to catch any
sale tags that might not have been removed, or a sale tag not yet up.
Most times, all I find are missing tags, or no sale tag (register
price is lower than shelf tag). It is rare for me to find a tag that
shows a lower price than register price. Maybe one per month. That's
for my department, not a whole store. But there are other people
checking the rest of the store.

I do keep an eye on prices, especially at other stores. I have found
that Walmart often has things ring up less than the shelf tag. Not in
every order. But when the price is different, it is usually lower.