thrift finds

OhioGuy

Feb 11, 2009, 4:12:35 PM2/11/09
Yesterday I found a copy of Panzer General II for 60 cents. Today I
got a Sound Blaster Live sound card for $1, Nvidia Geforce 2 AGP video
card for $2 and an IBM PS2 keyboard with the wonderful clickety clack
sounding keys for $1.

What have you found lately?

Rod Speed

Feb 11, 2009, 5:47:13 PM2/11/09
OhioGuy wrote:

4 bread machines for peanuts, two for me, identical to the one I already had,
one each for a couple of mates whose previous bread machine had died.

All virtually brand new and perfect with manuals.

Heaps of PET beer bottles and a brewing barrel and misc
other beer stuff like concentrate in cans etc, all for peanuts.

Sunbeam Mixmaster 50s vintage, identical model to the one I have always
had from the parents, for less than the cost of new beaters alone on ebay.

Hordes of books, including the Vise book on Google last weekend.

Car kit for the Nokia N95 8GB for peanuts.

Etc etc etc.

albu...@mailinator.com

Feb 11, 2009, 8:35:03 PM2/11/09

Sorry partner. I wouldn't give you a buck for all that stuff you named
above. It's all old junk. You reminded me to clean out my storage.
Check my dumpster.
I was given a Dell laptop that my friend saved from the trash for me.
It has a 2.6Ghz processor and I added 1GB memory. The only defect was
the pinout on the power supply, which was an easy fix for me.

Zee

Feb 12, 2009, 12:32:53 AM2/12/09

The only question really if you really need those things you've
found,. It might end up in your basement for all we know.

OhioGuy

Feb 14, 2009, 1:09:02 PM2/14/09
albu...@mailinator.com wrote:
> On Feb 11, 4:12 pm, OhioGuy <n...@none.net> wrote:
>> Yesterday I found a copy of Panzer General II for 60 cents. Today I
>> got a Sound Blaster Live sound card for $1, Nvidia Geforce 2 AGP video
>> card for $2 and an IBM PS2 keyboard with the wonderful clickety clack
>> sounding keys for $1.
>>
>> What have you found lately?
>
> Sorry partner. I wouldn't give you a buck for all that stuff you named
> above. It's all old junk. You reminded me to clean out my storage.

Hmm. Well, it certainly is all old, but not junk to me. I almost
paid $20 for Panzer General II once upon a time, so I saved over $19 by
waiting.

I'm a writer by trade, and I rather despised the ~$3 el cheapo
keyboard that came with my PC. I consider the genuine IBM keyboard to
be something just for me, to make me feel better when I type. Then
again, I suppose I like it because it feels more like my Dad's old
manual typewriter, which I did all my papers on in high school, when I
learned to type. It has more tactile feedback. I didn't NEED to spend
the $1 on it, but I wanted to, so I did.

The Sound Blaster Live was not needed, but about 5 months ago I had
to disable the onboard sound on my computer upstairs, because of all the
static it was getting. Reloading the drivers didn't solve the problem,
and it became impossible to enjoy any music, any games, or especially,
any of the movies or TV we usually watched on the PC. A cheap Sound
Blaster solved that for me. I figured it was worth a dollar to have a
replacement ready for the next time I'll need one.

As for the video card, my motherboard had a really crappy Sis onboard
video, and that sucked up part of the system memory. I had stuck in a
cheapo AGP video card, but somehow the last time I was in there, a
capacitor got knocked off, so I had to replace that card. The
replacement card had lines I eventually decided I couldn't stand. This
$2 card has very sharp video, plus it has an s-video out I may be able
to use with my projector, so it's a good deal for me. This PC is slated
to go in our exercise room eventually, and at that point 99%+ of its use
will be in playing videos, and this will work just fine.

Nick Naim

Feb 16, 2009, 10:23:05 PM2/16/09

"OhioGuy" <no...@none.net> wrote in message
S loads of newly built condoes up for rent in my neck of the woods.....

Message has been deleted

The Real Bev

Feb 16, 2009, 11:13:32 PM2/16/09
Derald wrote:

> OhioGuy <no...@none.net> wrote:
>
>>What have you found lately?

> Nothin'. I've pretty much quit looking. I envy you the keyboard,
> though; I pay a lot of money for good keyboards that actually _feel_
> like keyboards instead of like miniature marshmallows. The IBM Selectric
> typewriter of the 1960's had the perfect keyboard....

IBM Model M. Mine is from 1988 and it's a jewel.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Seerialmom

Feb 17, 2009, 7:52:13 PM2/17/09

A Logitech wireless mouse for $3 and "Plus!" for XP for $5 (ok, could
have lived without Plus! but I wanted it).

Speaking of thrift stores, Goodwill had 50% off all used items (but
not the dollar store items they sell or the things they buy from some
3rd party and designated by pink stickers) on holidays. Yesterday I
went into the local Goodwill and you'd swear people had never seen
such "low prices" before. They were willing to stand in a 100+ person
line to get 1/2 price on used stuff??? We're talking a 1.5 hour wait
to get to the checkout? No way...nothing that good in there for me.

The Real Bev

Feb 17, 2009, 8:46:57 PM2/17/09
inv...@invalid.com wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 09:52:26 -0500, Derald <der...@invalid.net> wrote:

>>The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>IBM Model M. Mine is from 1988 and it's a jewel.
>>

>> Indeed; now I'm green as Kermit. This gem gets special honors at
>>clickykeyboard.com.
>
> They still make them.
>
> http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/keyboards.html

A bit much. A couple of bucks each at yard sales.

> Weirdly enough, they seem to help some RSI.

Um, OK.

--
Cheers, Bev
Self Test for Paranoia: You know you have it when you can't

The Real Bev

Feb 17, 2009, 8:50:25 PM2/17/09
Seerialmom wrote:

Crazy people around here stand in line at estate sales in desirable
neighborhoods. Two come out, two more go in. As I say, crazy.

One of my better (useful) yard sale bargains so far is my skis+boots for $5
total. If you knew about my feet you'd know the boots are the bigger miracle!

--
Cheers, Bev
mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."

tmc...@searchmachine.com

Feb 18, 2009, 2:12:37 AM2/18/09
On Feb 11, 4:12 pm, OhioGuy <n...@none.net> wrote:
>    Yesterday I found an IBM PS2 keyboard with the wonderful clickety clack

> sounding keys for $1.
>
>    What have you found lately?

God, how much did I hate you IBM bastards when I worked in the cube
farm? A lot. A whole lot. What's up with actually LIKING, and WANTING
your keyboard to make noise? The rest of us just wanted to work in
silence. I'm so glad I don't have to listen to that crap now that I'm
self-employed and working at home.

The Real Bev

Feb 18, 2009, 11:19:35 AM2/18/09
tmc...@searchmachine.com wrote:

You're just pissed because it used to be easy for the boss to tell who was
working and who wasn't!

--
Cheers, Bev
Paranoid schizophrenics outnumber their enemies at least two to one.

tmc...@searchmachine.com

Feb 18, 2009, 6:21:46 PM2/18/09
On Feb 18, 11:19 am, The Real Bev <bashley...@gmail.com> wrote:

> tmcl...@searchmachine.com wrote:
> > On Feb 11, 4:12 pm, OhioGuy <n...@none.net> wrote:
> >>    Yesterday I found  an IBM PS2 keyboard with the wonderful clickety clack
> >> sounding keys for $1.
>
> >>    What have you found lately?
>
> > God, how much did I hate you IBM bastards when I worked in the cube
> > farm? A lot. A whole lot. What's up with actually LIKING, and WANTING
> > your keyboard to make noise? The rest of us just wanted to work in
> > silence. I'm so glad I don't have to listen to that crap now that I'm
> > self-employed and working at home.
>
> You're just pissed because it used to be easy for the boss to tell who was
> working and who wasn't!

Really? No. I was in the graphics dept. working on the animation of
point of sale and atm transactions and updating the corporate website.
Think light pen, not keyboard. I had to listen to the clickety clack
of the drones all day long who weren't actually working, just email
baby shower invites to each other. How much do I not miss working with
clacking breeders who gossip the whole day? Not at all. Oh, and I ran
my dept., and you certainly don't need to hear a keyboard clicking to
know who's working.

Plonk.

Seerialmom

Feb 18, 2009, 7:56:34 PM2/18/09
>                                                    --Gene Spafford (1992)- Hide quoted text -

Estate sales are my other "used item pet peeve". They'll sell the
same Pyrex mixing bowl I can find at Goodwill or garage sale less than
$3 for upwards for $20. So far I'm not a fan of those (or antique
stores).

Seerialmom

Feb 18, 2009, 7:57:42 PM2/18/09
On Feb 18, 8:19 am, The Real Bev <bashley...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hah....but now we have programs that can make it sound like we're
typing away when we're not, right? :)

The Real Bev

Feb 18, 2009, 9:32:57 PM2/18/09
Seerialmom wrote:

> On Feb 18, 8:19 am, The Real Bev <bashley...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> tmcl...@searchmachine.com wrote:

>> > God, how much did I hate you IBM bastards when I worked in the cube
>> > farm? A lot. A whole lot. What's up with actually LIKING, and WANTING
>> > your keyboard to make noise? The rest of us just wanted to work in
>> > silence. I'm so glad I don't have to listen to that crap now that I'm
>> > self-employed and working at home.
>>
>> You're just pissed because it used to be easy for the boss to tell who was
>> working and who wasn't!
>

> Hah....but now we have programs that can make it sound like we're
> typing away when we're not, right? :)

Damned if I know, I retired in 1995!

--
Cheers, Bev
"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted