Bed Bath & Beyond - ridiculous gifts, laughable prices

Patricia Martin Steward

Nov 24, 2008, 7:16:26 PM11/24/08
Got their flyer in the mail today, and I was laughing out loud at some
of the "gifts" they're selling (I'm rounding prices up on those ending
in .99):

wine chiller - $100 (I put mine in the fridge for free)
single-serve coffee brewer - $200 (my four-cup Mr. Coffee cost $14.99)
espresso maker - $230
knife set - $200
Aerogarden to grow herbs - $150
Proper Positioning bed pillow - $80
Braun shaver - $250 AFTER rebate

And finally, my favorite: a "do-it-yourself electric BACK HAIR SHAVER
for $40!!!!

I can only think they had this printed before the economy went down
the drain.

--
"This is our moment. This is our time - to put our people back to work and open doors of opportunity for our kids;
to restore prosperity and promote the cause of peace; to reclaim the American Dream and reaffirm that fundamental

Bert Hyman

Nov 24, 2008, 7:21:10 PM11/24/08
In news:i8gmi4hlq2n4sq3c0...@4ax.com Patricia Martin
Steward <pat...@noteranews.com> wrote:

> And finally, my favorite: a "do-it-yourself electric BACK HAIR SHAVER
> for $40!!!!

Maybe they're trying to pick up the slack left by Sharper Image.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN be...@iphouse.com

Vic Smith

Nov 24, 2008, 7:25:17 PM11/24/08
On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 19:16:26 -0500, Patricia Martin Steward
<pat...@noteranews.com> wrote:

>Got their flyer in the mail today, and I was laughing out loud at some
>of the "gifts" they're selling (I'm rounding prices up on those ending
>in .99):
>
>wine chiller - $100 (I put mine in the fridge for free)
>single-serve coffee brewer - $200 (my four-cup Mr. Coffee cost $14.99)
>espresso maker - $230
>knife set - $200
>Aerogarden to grow herbs - $150
>Proper Positioning bed pillow - $80
>Braun shaver - $250 AFTER rebate
>
>And finally, my favorite: a "do-it-yourself electric BACK HAIR SHAVER
>for $40!!!!
>
>I can only think they had this printed before the economy went down
>the drain.

Some common stuff seems pretty high too.
I was just pricing maple cutting boards, and dough boards.
In fact I just got my wife a dough board and the thing cost 28 bucks,
38 with shipping. Hers recently broke when she was tenderizing pork
chops.
Probably not too frugal.
But it guarantees she'll keep the pierogi coming.
That's a lot of value right there.

--Vic

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Nov 24, 2008, 7:35:36 PM11/24/08
On Nov 24, 6:25 pm, Vic Smith <thismailautodele...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Some common stuff seems pretty high too.
> I was just pricing maple cutting boards, and dough boards.
> In fact I just got my wife a dough board and the thing cost 28 bucks,
> 38 with shipping.  Hers recently broke when she was tenderizing pork
> chops.
> Probably not too frugal.

They have 20% off coupons all the time and you can use 5 at a time for
5 purchases. They also have no expiration date even though one is
actually printed on the coupon. The coupons can save you a nice bit
of change.

BeaForoni

Nov 24, 2008, 8:28:30 PM11/24/08
On Nov 24, 4:16 pm, Patricia Martin Steward <pats...@noteranews.com>
wrote:

You notice higher prices and I'm seeing lower prices. Gas for under
$2.00 a gallon. Then I saw a commercial for Chrysler, it had Sebring
convertibles for around $9,000 and PT Cruisers for less than $10,000.
Wish I had some money.

NoSpa...@lousyisp.gov

Nov 24, 2008, 9:22:39 PM11/24/08
Patricia Martin Steward <pat...@noteranews.com> wrote:

>Got their flyer in the mail today, and I was laughing out loud at some
>of the "gifts" they're selling (I'm rounding prices up on those ending
>in .99):

>wine chiller - $100 (I put mine in the fridge for free)

And if your fridge is full? Given the proliferation of "refrigerate
after opening" on everything that's not too hard to do. Besides where
are you going to store the bottles? The "wine cellar" doesn't cost
much more than a new cabinet from (say) Ikea. Of course the
electricity to run it makes it uneconomical but you can always leave
the thing unplugged and just fire it up over the holidays.

>single-serve coffee brewer - $200 (my four-cup Mr. Coffee cost $14.99)

And if you happen to be a yuppie rushing off to his power job raping
the economy what use are the other 3 cups? Let's also not forget that
these "single serve" items are puck machines so the speed of making
that one cup vastly exceeds your el-cheapo anachronism... "Mr. Coffee"
indeed!

>espresso maker - $230

Much too cheap. A good espresso maker is in the $1500 and up range
although over about $5000 the improvements are mainly in the volume
(e.g., six cups at a time). The el-cheapo $230 machine doesn't have
the power to make a good espresso. Check out the "crema" (the froth on
the top); in a good machine there'll be a visible strong long-lasting
head: on a #230 special you'll be lucky to get any at all. This lack
of power manifests itself in cappuccino too. Insufficient power means
a lack of tight bubbles in the milk. Look at Dunkin' Donuts
cappuccino: dirty dishwater! OTOH lots of no-taste-buds Americans
actually prefer Dunkin' Donuts. Probably the ones who have Mr. Coffee
machines <g>.

>knife set - $200

What's wrong with this. You do realize you get what you pay for. The
poor quality of the 99 cent stores's chef's knife will soon become
apparent, something that's of critical importance if you're NOT a
world class chef.

>Aerogarden to grow herbs - $150

This one I agree with. The kids bought us one of these last year. I
wanted to junk it immediately after they left but the wife persuaded
me to keep it for a few months. Then we junked it! And these kids knew
that my wife keeps window boxes of herbs that she brings inside each
winter. Why would we need a herb garden?

>Proper Positioning bed pillow - $80

I don't know what this is.

>Braun shaver - $250 AFTER rebate

Sounds a little expensive.

>And finally, my favorite: a "do-it-yourself electric BACK HAIR SHAVER
>for $40!!!!

Ah, but you're not thinking like a now-unemployed (hopefully) mortgage
broking yuppie. He has to shave his back for his date with Mrs
Potential Yuppette. He could go to the spa where they'll do it for him
or he could use this machine. I mean how else do you expect him to
reach between his shoulder blades? Of course as a present this could
be a little like giving someone a box of deodorants. Get the hint!

>I can only think they had this printed before the economy went down
>the drain.

Probably but they have to unload all those imports in the pipeline.
Look for some big reductions.

Evelyn Leeper

Nov 25, 2008, 9:06:14 AM11/25/08
NoSpa...@LousyISP.gov wrote:
> Patricia Martin Steward <pat...@noteranews.com> wrote:
>> single-serve coffee brewer - $200 (my four-cup Mr. Coffee cost $14.99)
>
> And if you happen to be a yuppie rushing off to his power job raping
> the economy what use are the other 3 cups? Let's also not forget that
> these "single serve" items are puck machines so the speed of making
> that one cup vastly exceeds your el-cheapo anachronism... "Mr. Coffee"
> indeed!

I find that my Melitta cone with reusable filter works fine and doesn't
cost anywhere near $200.

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
Loyalty to petrified opinion never broke a chain or freed a human soul.

Gary Indiana

Nov 25, 2008, 9:49:45 AM11/25/08
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 09:06:14 -0500, Evelyn Leeper wrote:

> NoSpa...@LousyISP.gov wrote:
>> Patricia Martin Steward <pat...@noteranews.com> wrote:
>>> single-serve coffee brewer - $200 (my four-cup Mr. Coffee cost $14.99)
>>
>> And if you happen to be a yuppie rushing off to his power job raping
>> the economy what use are the other 3 cups? Let's also not forget that
>> these "single serve" items are puck machines so the speed of making
>> that one cup vastly exceeds your el-cheapo anachronism... "Mr. Coffee"
>> indeed!
>
> I find that my Melitta cone with reusable filter works fine and doesn't
> cost anywhere near $200.

Gotcha' both beat. For coffee I heat a cup of water in the microwave and
add a spoon of freeze-dried coffee. For espresso I add two extra spoons
and for cappuccino I add two more on top of that and float some cool-whip
on the top.

Lou

Nov 25, 2008, 12:31:54 PM11/25/08

"Gary Indiana" <goa...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

Yeah, but while you could maybe stretch a point and call the first a cup of
coffee, by no means is this espresso or cappuccino.

Gary Indiana

Nov 25, 2008, 3:37:00 PM11/25/08

Nonsense. It produces the very same vibrations and color fringes.

Patricia Martin Steward

Nov 25, 2008, 6:25:06 PM11/25/08
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 08:49:45 -0600, Gary Indiana
<goa...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>Gotcha' both beat. For coffee I heat a cup of water in the microwave and
>add a spoon of freeze-dried coffee. For espresso I add two extra spoons
>and for cappuccino I add two more on top of that and float some cool-whip
>on the top.

Oh, honey, that's not coffee. That's warm brown water.

Patricia Martin Steward

Nov 25, 2008, 6:31:26 PM11/25/08
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 02:22:39 GMT, NoSpa...@LousyISP.gov wrote:
>Patricia Martin Steward <pat...@noteranews.com> wrote:
>
>>wine chiller - $100 (I put mine in the fridge for free)
>
>And if your fridge is full? Given the proliferation of "refrigerate
>after opening" on everything that's not too hard to do. Besides where
>are you going to store the bottles? The "wine cellar" doesn't cost
>much more than a new cabinet from (say) Ikea. Of course the
>electricity to run it makes it uneconomical but you can always leave
>the thing unplugged and just fire it up over the holidays.

It seems I neglected to mention that this particular chiller is for
*one* bottle.

>>single-serve coffee brewer - $200 (my four-cup Mr. Coffee cost $14.99)
>
>And if you happen to be a yuppie rushing off to his power job raping
>the economy what use are the other 3 cups? Let's also not forget that
>these "single serve" items are puck machines so the speed of making
>that one cup vastly exceeds your el-cheapo anachronism...

Now you're just being silly. I make two cups, which fill one big mug,
and it takes about five minutes. I don't need my coffee any faster
than that, that would just be obsessive.

>OTOH lots of no-taste-buds Americans
>actually prefer Dunkin' Donuts. Probably the ones who have Mr. Coffee
>machines <g>.

HAH! I laugh in your general direction. ?;^) I absolutely *hate* DD
coffee -- just more warm brown water, can't really call it coffee.
Mine not only makes the spoon stand up, it slowly dissolves.

>>Proper Positioning bed pillow - $80
>I don't know what this is.

It's ridiculous, is what it is.

The Real Bev

Nov 25, 2008, 7:17:59 PM11/25/08
Patricia Martin Steward wrote:

> <goa...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>Gotcha' both beat. For coffee I heat a cup of water in the microwave and
>>add a spoon of freeze-dried coffee. For espresso I add two extra spoons
>>and for cappuccino I add two more on top of that and float some cool-whip
>>on the top.
>
> Oh, honey, that's not coffee. That's warm brown water.

I once drank half a cup of hot water before it occurred to me that it
was AWFULLY weak. Hey, it was a brown cup, bite me!

I am ingrigued by the desire for 'froth' or 'bubbles' in a cup of strong
coffee. Why is this feature worth extra money?

--
Cheers, Bev
"If God had wanted us to use the metric system,

Marsha

Nov 25, 2008, 7:40:37 PM11/25/08
The Real Bev wrote:
> I am ingrigued by the desire for 'froth' or 'bubbles' in a cup of strong
> coffee. Why is this feature worth extra money?

It's not.

Marsha

Lou

Nov 25, 2008, 8:47:09 PM11/25/08

"Gary Indiana" <goa...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

There are people who like the **taste**. A couple of NODOZE (do they still
sell that?) will give the same effect, but they lack the pleasure of a good
cup of coffee. On the other hand, they're not offensive like that instant
stuff.

NoSpa...@lousyisp.gov

Nov 25, 2008, 11:15:21 PM11/25/08
The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Patricia Martin Steward wrote:

>I once drank half a cup of hot water before it occurred to me that it
>was AWFULLY weak. Hey, it was a brown cup, bite me!

>I am ingrigued by the desire for 'froth' or 'bubbles' in a cup of strong
>coffee. Why is this feature worth extra money?

The crema is an indication of the quality of the underlying espresso.
No crema and the coffee is either too weak (not tamping the coffee is
a likely cause) or was prepared too fast or too slowly or at a too
high or too low temperature, the latter resulting in bitterness or
sourness. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espresso

Reading this article I did actually learn that I should consume the
cup quickly. I thought I was so cool with my double-walled insulated
cups!

The Real Bev

Nov 26, 2008, 1:36:12 AM11/26/08
NoSpa...@LousyISP.gov wrote:

> The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Patricia Martin Steward wrote:
>
>>I once drank half a cup of hot water before it occurred to me that it
>>was AWFULLY weak. Hey, it was a brown cup, bite me!
>
>>I am ingrigued by the desire for 'froth' or 'bubbles' in a cup of strong
>>coffee. Why is this feature worth extra money?
>
> The crema is an indication of the quality of the underlying espresso.
> No crema and the coffee is either too weak (not tamping the coffee is
> a likely cause) or was prepared too fast or too slowly or at a too
> high or too low temperature, the latter resulting in bitterness or
> sourness. See:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espresso

OK, now I'm curious about this new religion. Next time I see a Bialetti
pot at a yard sale for a buck I'm going to buy it.

--
Cheers,
Bev

max

Nov 26, 2008, 5:35:45 AM11/26/08
In article <k76Xk.1140$%M6....@newsfe13.iad>,

The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> NoSpa...@LousyISP.gov wrote:
>
> > The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>Patricia Martin Steward wrote:
> >
> >>I once drank half a cup of hot water before it occurred to me that it
> >>was AWFULLY weak. Hey, it was a brown cup, bite me!
> >
> >>I am ingrigued by the desire for 'froth' or 'bubbles' in a cup of strong
> >>coffee. Why is this feature worth extra money?
> >
> > The crema is an indication of the quality of the underlying espresso.
> > No crema and the coffee is either too weak (not tamping the coffee is
> > a likely cause) or was prepared too fast or too slowly or at a too
> > high or too low temperature, the latter resulting in bitterness or
> > sourness. See:
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espresso
>
> OK, now I'm curious about this new religion. Next time I see a Bialetti
> pot at a yard sale for a buck I'm going to buy it.

Don't let the expresso mafia pick your pocket. --you can get a
respectable crema out of a french press pot, too.

.max

--
This signature can be appended to your outgoing mesages. Many people include in
their signatures contact information, and perhaps a joke or quotation.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Seerialmom

Nov 26, 2008, 5:15:26 PM11/26/08
On Nov 26, 2:43 am, Shawn Hirn <s...@comcast.net> wrote:
> In article <i8gmi4hlq2n4sq3c0qt8034qb7r2qjp...@4ax.com>,

>  Patricia Martin Steward <pats...@noteranews.com> wrote:
>

> > Got their flyer in the mail today, and I was laughing out loud at some
> > of the "gifts" they're selling (I'm rounding prices up on those ending
> > in .99):
>
> > wine chiller - $100 (I put mine in the fridge for free)
> > single-serve coffee brewer - $200 (my four-cup Mr. Coffee cost $14.99)
> > espresso maker - $230
> > knife set - $200
> > Aerogarden to grow herbs - $150
> > Proper Positioning bed pillow - $80
> > Braun shaver - $250 AFTER rebate
>
> > And finally, my favorite:  a "do-it-yourself electric BACK HAIR SHAVER
> > for $40!!!!
>
> > I can only think they had this printed before the economy went down
> > the drain.
>
> That flyer was probably printed months ago. Bed, Bath and Beyond does
> sometimes have good bargains though. Last week, I used one of their 20%
> off coupons to buy a vacuum cleaner. After the 20% discount and 7% sales
> tax, I paid $68 for it and it works great.- Hide quoted text -

I gave one of those Best Buy 20% off coupons to a coworker about a
year ago; he was able to buy the Dyson Animal for a pretty good price
since it was also on sale at the time.