Are we like monkeys or are monkeys like us?

1 view

TheTibetanMonkey showing-the-path-of-enlightenment-in-the-jungle

Mar 7, 2010, 12:45:54 AM3/7/10
In so many ways we are like monkeys... Take for example their "monkey
see monkey do" behavior. Everywhere you see it at work, specially
among the religious majority. Everybody repeats whatever the dominant
view of the world is, no matter how ridiculous it sounds. A few
question the "official view," but they find a lot of difficulty along
the way, often facing exclusion from the "troop."

Then the monkeys are like us too. They are curious, and are social
animals as well. They fight a lot too and have powerful leaders (alpha
males) that form political strategies to dominate the resources,
including the most sexy "ladies." Yes, monkeys can be sexy too...

http://sas.guidespot.com/bundles/guides_9w/assets/widget_aK9TkyZGXhpRnq6IKhlnte.jpg

Well, whether or not you agree with the monkeys being sexy, I'm sure
you can reach a verdict about who's more original, monkeys or us?

THE WISE TIBETAN MONKEYS HAS OBSERVED THIS BEHAVIOR IN THE JUNGLE:

"A lot of human behavior can be explained by the struggle for power
and sex, just like monkeys"

Rod Speed

Mar 7, 2010, 1:00:13 AM3/7/10
TheTibetanMonkey showing-the-path-of-enlightenment-in-the-jungle wrote:

> In so many ways we are like monkeys...

You might be, plenty arent.

> Take for example their "monkey see monkey do" behavior.
> Everywhere you see it at work, specially among the religious
> majority. Everybody repeats whatever the dominant view of
> the world is, no matter how ridiculous it sounds. A few
> question the "official view," but they find a lot of difficulty
> along the way, often facing exclusion from the "troop."

Not the ones that do it effectively.

> Then the monkeys are like us too. They are curious, and are social
> animals as well. They fight a lot too and have powerful leaders
> (alpha males) that form political strategies to dominate the resources,
> including the most sexy "ladies." Yes, monkeys can be sexy too...

Even monkeys are much more complicated than that.

> http://sas.guidespot.com/bundles/guides_9w/assets/widget_aK9TkyZGXhpRnq6IKhlnte.jpg

> Well, whether or not you agree with the monkeys being sexy, I'm sure
> you can reach a verdict about who's more original, monkeys or us?

> THE WISE TIBETAN MONKEYS HAS OBSERVED THIS BEHAVIOR IN THE JUNGLE:

> "A lot of human behavior can be explained by
> the struggle for power and sex, just like monkeys"

And a hell of a lot more cannot. Have a look at Einstein and Darwin sometime.

> http://webspawner.com/users/BANANAREVOLUTION

TheTibetanMonkey showing-the-path-of-enlightenment-in-the-jungle

Mar 7, 2010, 11:26:05 AM3/7/10
On Mar 7, 7:55 am, "Bob Eld" <nsmontas...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > "A lot of human behavior can be explained by the struggle for power
> > and sex, just like monkeys"
>
> >http://webspawner.com/users/BANANAREVOLUTION
>

> Humans did not evolve from apes.....We are apes! Most humans are not very
> different than chimpanzees in their basic behavior and we share 98 % of our
> DNA with them.

It's good to be free like a monkey, isn't it?

But we are still in a cage designed by the sheep... :(

TheTibetanMonkey showing-the-path-of-enlightenment-in-the-jungle

Mar 7, 2010, 11:28:00 AM3/7/10
On Mar 6, 10:12 pm, Dan O <danover...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > "A lot of human behavior can be explained by the struggle for power
> > and sex, just like monkeys"
>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_EyXPs2_Jk

Yep, the more you think about it the more sense it makes.

For example, isn't the goal of sex to get wild? Don't we howl like
monkeys?

TheTibetanMonkey showing-the-path-of-enlightenment-in-the-jungle

Mar 8, 2010, 9:46:27 AM3/8/10
On Mar 6, 10:48 pm, Vajra <va...@nym.mixmin.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 22:04:56 -0800 (PST), TheTibetanMonkey

> showing-the-path-of-enlightenment-in-the-jungle <nolionnoprob...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >Then the monkeys are like us too. They are curious, and are social
> >animals as well. They fight a lot too and have powerful leaders (alpha
> >males) that form political strategies to dominate the resources,
> >including the most sexy "ladies."
>
> Pleasingly they don't discriminate on the color of their coats or the color of their
> eyes, unlike humans, and they don't use derogatory terms like 'nigger', as some
> humans do.
>
> Why, exactly, are you posting in alt.religion.buddhism.tibetan since you don't appear
> to have any sensitivity for Buddhism in general and Tibetan Buddhism in particular?

Save for some differences, Buddhism and Jungle Wisdom are
complementary. The former teaches you how to conquer the self, and the
latter tells you how to conquer the world at large.

Both are spiritual, but Jungle Wisdom puts a big question mark on
REINCARNATION. Perish the thought of a monkey reincarnate in a lion!

The real problem lies in MATERIALISTIC, UNREALISTIC religions that
rely on hypocrisy.

DennisTheBald

Mar 8, 2010, 1:25:54 PM3/8/10
On Mar 6, 11:45 pm, TheTibetanMonkey showing-the-path-of-enlightenment-

in-the-jungle <nolionnoprob...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> In so many ways we are like monkeys... Take for example their "monkey
> see monkey do" behavior. Everywhere you see it at work, specially
> among the religious majority. Everybody repeats whatever the dominant
> view of the world is, no matter how ridiculous it sounds. A few
> question the "official view," but they find a lot of difficulty along
> the way, often facing exclusion from the "troop."
>
> Then the monkeys are like us too. They are curious, and are social
> animals as well. They fight a lot too and have powerful leaders (alpha
> males) that form political strategies to dominate the resources,
> including the most sexy "ladies." Yes, monkeys can be sexy too...
>
> http://sas.guidespot.com/bundles/guides_9w/assets/widget_aK9TkyZGXhpR...

> Well, whether or not you agree with the monkeys being sexy, I'm sure
> you can reach a verdict about who's more original, monkeys or us?

> THE WISE TIBETAN MONKEYS HAS OBSERVED THIS BEHAVIOR IN THE JUNGLE:
>
> "A lot of human behavior can be explained by the struggle for power
> and sex, just like monkeys"
>
> http://webspawner.com/users/BANANAREVOLUTION

I like monkeys, they're delicious.

TheTibetanMonkey

Mar 8, 2010, 1:35:20 PM3/8/10
If these words are true, then Buddhism and Jungle Wisdom are very
close...

"A Buddhist does not seek refuge in the Buddha with the hope that he
will be saved by his (i.e. the Buddha's own) personal purification.
The Buddha gives no such guarantee. It is not within the power of a
Buddha to wash away the impurities of others. One could neither purify
nor defile another. The Buddha, as teacher, instructs us, but we
ourselves are directly responsible for our purification. Although a
Buddhist seeks refuge in the Buddha, he does not make any self-
surrender. Nor does a Buddhist sacrifice his freedom of thought by
becoming a follower of the Buddha. He can exercise his own free will
and develop his knowledge even to the extent of becoming a Buddha
himself."

http://www.buddhanet.net/nutshell03.htm

I'll give a mundane yet realistic example of survival... To go into
the jungle you need good advice (what plant is poisonous or good to
eat, for example), but COMMON SENSE should guide your steps.

And since the law of the jungle prevails everywhere, particularly on
the roads where I should be riding a bicycle... "You are on your own,
baby!"

TheTibetanMonkey

Mar 8, 2010, 1:36:50 PM3/8/10
On Mar 8, 10:25 am, DennisTheBald <dennistheb...@gmail.com> wrote:
://webspawner.com/users/BANANAREVOLUTION

> I like monkeys, they're delicious.-

THE WISE TIBETAN MONKEY SAYS:

"You should be learning to eat banana, not monkey"

Rod Speed

Mar 8, 2010, 2:13:25 PM3/8/10
TheTibetanMonkey wrote:

> If these words are true, then Buddhism and Jungle Wisdom

No such animal.

> are very close...

> "A Buddhist does not seek refuge in the Buddha with the hope that he
> will be saved by his (i.e. the Buddha's own) personal purification.
> The Buddha gives no such guarantee. It is not within the power of a
> Buddha to wash away the impurities of others. One could neither purify
> nor defile another. The Buddha, as teacher, instructs us, but we
> ourselves are directly responsible for our purification. Although a
> Buddhist seeks refuge in the Buddha, he does not make any self-
> surrender. Nor does a Buddhist sacrifice his freedom of thought by
> becoming a follower of the Buddha. He can exercise his own free will
> and develop his knowledge even to the extent of becoming a Buddha
> himself."
>
> http://www.buddhanet.net/nutshell03.htm

> I'll give a mundane yet realistic example of survival... To go into the jungle
> you need good advice (what plant is poisonous or good to eat, for example),

Not if you just eat the animals.

> but COMMON SENSE should guide your steps.

Fat lot of good that will ever do when working out what is poisonous and what isnt.

> And since the law of the jungle prevails everywhere,

Like hell it does.

> particularly on the roads where I should be riding a bicycle... "You are on your own, baby!"

Most of us arent stupid enough to ride a bike.

TheTibetanMonkey

Mar 9, 2010, 12:13:06 AM3/9/10
You know, the usual stuff... Buddha, Genghis Kahn, the need for laws
on American roads, everything pertaining to life in the jungle...

On Mar 8, 11:12 pm, Vajra <va...@nym.mixmin.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 10:32:00 -0800 (PST), TheTibetanMonkey
>
> showing-the-path-of-enlightenment-in-the-jungle <nolionnoprob...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >If these words are true, then Buddhism and Jungle Wisdom are very

> >close...
>
> >"A Buddhist does not seek refuge in the Buddha with the hope that he
> >will be saved by his (i.e. the Buddha's own) personal purification.
> >The Buddha gives no such guarantee. It is not within the power of a
> >Buddha to wash away the impurities of others. One could neither purify
> >nor defile another. The Buddha, as teacher, instructs us, but we
> >ourselves are directly responsible for our purification. Although a
> >Buddhist seeks refuge in the Buddha, he does not make any self-
> >surrender. Nor does a Buddhist sacrifice his freedom of thought by
> >becoming a follower of the Buddha. He can exercise his own free will
> >and develop his knowledge even to the extent of becoming a Buddha
> >himself."
>

> The historical Buddha gave the instructions to 'wake up.' True, no Buddha can
> enlighten anyone, but they can and do show the way because that's their reason for
> being. If the individual's karma allows it, Buddhas can provide that last little
> oomph to get us across the line.
>
> That's why listening, contemplating and meditating of Buddha's teachings is vitally
> important. We're never going to wake up if we just sit under a tree and go Om. We
> must examine who we are, who we really are, seen through eyes informed by
> interdependence. That's our first task - to see the reality of self.

> >http://www.buddhanet.net/nutshell03.htm
>
> >I'll give a mundane yet realistic example of survival... To go into
> >the jungle you need good advice (what plant is poisonous or good to

> >eat, for example), but COMMON SENSE should guide your steps.
>
> Yes, unfortunately common sense isn't all that common. Surviving in a jungle is best
> done with someone who lives there. There's no way of doing it without a 'teacher.' To
> an extent, it doesn't matter what form that teacher takes, however someone in front
> of us is better than words on a page. A guide rather than a guide book. It's
> difficult to ask all and every question of a book.
>

> >And since the law of the jungle prevails everywhere, particularly on

> >the roads where I should be riding a bicycle... "You are on your own,
> >baby!"
>

> Luckily, survival on the roads is helped a little by rules. Riding a bicycle in the
> transit lane is a quick way to learn a couple of the road rules. Explicit information
> on what to do and what to avoid is provided by the road authorities, and Buddha. The
> latter being more useful, except when riding on the road. :)

Where there are no rules... the law of the jungle takes over. Such law
is based on physics, ie. the biggest mass wins. How can you fight that
jungle with all wisdom in the world? That's why you must have more
than one path to survive... or put up a resistance.

Try watching a movie called "Mongol," where Genghis Khan fills this
void referring to the need for laws. Whether the movie is accurate or
not, it's very beautiful and powerful. Of course, we reject violence,
but it was a long time ago when people didn't know any other way to
fight.

There's a monk that begs him to save his temple and he respects it.
Funny, they put Khan in a cage, but he knew he had to fulfill his
destiny. NEVER DISMISS ANYONE is the moral of the story.