Double charging

KenK

Jan 16, 2011, 10:34:16 AM1/16/11
I got home yesterday and, checking the receipt, found I had been charged
twice for two items - $6 extra. <SIGH> This was one of those things - cat
litter - where you peel off one the labels and they scan it instead of
putting the heavy items on the belt. I'm sure they wouldn't believe me if I
complained now. This, though very rare, is not the first time. What's the
solution? Read the long list of items on the receipt before you leave the
checkout? Hard to do for thirty or so items, especially with the hard-to-
decipher abbreviations on the slip. Or watch them print out as scanned?
Hard to remember the whole list so as to catch the very rare duplicate?
<sigh> Or concentrate on scanned removed labels? I think we, at least I,
am/are stuck.

MAS

Jan 16, 2011, 10:54:04 AM1/16/11
On 1/16/2011 10:34 AM, KenK wrote:
> I got home yesterday and, checking the receipt, found I had been charged
> twice for two items - $6 extra.<SIGH> This was one of those things - cat
> litter - where you peel off one the labels and they scan it instead of
> putting the heavy items on the belt. I'm sure they wouldn't believe me if I
> complained now. This, though very rare, is not the first time. What's the
> solution? Read the long list of items on the receipt before you leave the
> checkout? Hard to do for thirty or so items, especially with the hard-to-
> decipher abbreviations on the slip. Or watch them print out as scanned?
> Hard to remember the whole list so as to catch the very rare duplicate?
> <sigh> Or concentrate on scanned removed labels? I think we, at least I,
> am/are stuck.

I'm one of those annoying customers who asks the cashier to scan slowly
so I can compare the scanned price to the written shelf price on my
list. It may be inconvenient to those in line behind me, but 9 times
out of 10, an item scans at a higher price. It adds up. I do arrange the
items close to the order of my list to make it a little easier for everyone.

Marsha

terrable

Jan 16, 2011, 11:21:10 AM1/16/11

"MAS" <m...@bbbb.net> wrote in message news:igv4at$k64$1...@news.datemas.de...

I would find a new place to shop if "9 times out of 10, an item scans at a
higher price".

terrable

Jan 16, 2011, 11:23:19 AM1/16/11

"KenK" <inv...@invalid.com> wrote in message

>I got home yesterday and, checking the receipt, found I had been charged
> twice for two items - $6 extra. <SIGH> This was one of those things - cat
> litter - where you peel off one the labels and they scan it instead of
> putting the heavy items on the belt. I'm sure they wouldn't believe me if
> complained now. This, though very rare, is not the first time. What's the
> solution? Read the long list of items on the receipt before you leave the
> checkout? Hard to do for thirty or so items, especially with the hard-to-
> decipher abbreviations on the slip. Or watch them print out as scanned?
> Hard to remember the whole list so as to catch the very rare duplicate?
> <sigh> Or concentrate on scanned removed labels? I think we, at least I,
> am/are stuck.

I always pull my cart to the side at the front of the store and check the
receipt before exiting the store.

The Real Bev

Jan 16, 2011, 1:15:48 PM1/16/11
On 01/16/2011 07:54 AM, MAS wrote:
> On 1/16/2011 10:34 AM, KenK wrote:
>> I got home yesterday and, checking the receipt, found I had been charged
>> twice for two items - $6 extra.<SIGH> This was one of those things - cat
>> litter - where you peel off one the labels and they scan it instead of
>> putting the heavy items on the belt.

If it was light enough to put in the cart it's light enough to put on
the belt. Obviate problems whenever possible. Alternatively -- they
don't have a hand-held scanner for things like that?

>> I'm sure they wouldn't believe me if I
>> complained now.

Give it a shot. What does it cost to try?

>> This, though very rare, is not the first time. What's the
>> solution? Read the long list of items on the receipt before you leave the
>> checkout? Hard to do for thirty or so items, especially with the hard-to-
>> decipher abbreviations on the slip. Or watch them print out as scanned?
>> Hard to remember the whole list so as to catch the very rare duplicate?
>> <sigh> Or concentrate on scanned removed labels? I think we, at least I,
>> am/are stuck.
>
> I'm one of those annoying customers who asks the cashier to scan slowly
> so I can compare the scanned price to the written shelf price on my
> list. It may be inconvenient to those in line behind me, but 9 times
> out of 10, an item scans at a higher price.

Do you shop at stores that give you something if the scan is wrong? I
just got $5 at Pep Boys for this very reason.

--
Cheers, Bev

MAS

Jan 16, 2011, 1:51:35 PM1/16/11

At one of my two regular grocery stores, you get the item free if it
scans wrong. Prices do not come up wrong very often here, but most of
their prices are generally higher than the other store.

Marsha

Message has been deleted

Fake ID

Jan 17, 2011, 3:45:12 AM1/17/11

My experience at FoodMaxx goes the other direction. They not only
didn't comp me when something rang up too high but I got to wait at the
manager kiosk for the manager to refund me the difference. I guess it's
part of their game of chicken--see how much crap the customer will put
up with for a few cents.

Grocery stores around here have gone to a cash register system
that reorders the receipt when it's printed. What gets displayed on the
monitor often bears little resemblance to what gets printed. Not
an issue in itself since some pricing rules are better expressed once
the order is complete, but it makes catching mistakes more challenging.
And FoodMaxx is among those that make it worse by bloating the receipt
with fictional prices (for every item) so they can boast how much you
"saved". JFC, I've already bought the shit--stop the advertising.

Mrs Irish Mike

Jan 17, 2011, 1:24:38 PM1/17/11

Self serve checkout. I go to the market several times a week, I like
fresh. I don't want to deal with the cashiers. My day goes no better
when I am wished a "good day". The machine says thank you, which is
good enough. I don;t worry about looks when I buy an embarrassing
item, I don't fret about leaving change for "starving children", nor
do I have to make chit-chat about the weather or the price of soap.
Just because the checker was smart enough to land a job as a checker,
doesn't mean she is someone I want to talk to. More things should be
self serve.

Bob F

Jan 17, 2011, 2:11:11 PM1/17/11
KenK wrote:
> I got home yesterday and, checking the receipt, found I had been
> charged twice for two items - $6 extra. <SIGH> This was one of those
> things - cat litter - where you peel off one the labels and they scan
> it instead of putting the heavy items on the belt. I'm sure they
> wouldn't believe me if I complained now. This, though very rare, is
> not the first time. What's the solution? Read the long list of items
> on the receipt before you leave the checkout? Hard to do for thirty
> or so items, especially with the hard-to- decipher abbreviations on
> the slip. Or watch them print out as scanned? Hard to remember the
> whole list so as to catch the very rare duplicate? <sigh> Or
> concentrate on scanned removed labels? I think we, at least I, am/are
> stuck.

don't cooperate, never go back again, and make sure they know it.

MAS

Jan 17, 2011, 7:41:29 PM1/17/11
On 1/17/2011 1:24 PM, Mrs Irish Mike wrote:
> Just because the checker was smart enough to land a job as a checker,
> doesn't mean she is someone I want to talk to. More things should be
> self serve.

That sounds a bit snobby, but perhaps not intended to be that way. I
don't believe anyone is beneath anyone else when it comes to
conversation, and I have come to know a couple of very interesting
cashiers quite well. Some of them don't work there just because they're
"smart enough." Some are retired and just like doing it because they're
people persons.

Marsha

George

Jan 18, 2011, 11:36:28 AM1/18/11

Aside from what you noted a lot of people really haven't kept up with
changing times. We now have a largely "service economy". Good
manufacturing (and other) jobs are gone. Cashiers and other jobs like
that are now careers for folks since there is no other choice.

Rod Speed

Jan 18, 2011, 1:17:08 PM1/18/11
George wrote
> MAS wrote
>> Mrs Irish Mike wrote

>>> Just because the checker was smart enough to land a job as a
>>> checker, doesn't mean she is someone I want to talk to. More things
>>> should be self serve.

>> That sounds a bit snobby, but perhaps not intended to be that way. I
>> don't believe anyone is beneath anyone else when it comes to
>> conversation, and I have come to know a couple of very interesting
>> cashiers quite well. Some of them don't work there just because
>> they're "smart enough." Some are retired and just like doing it
>> because they're people persons.

> Aside from what you noted a lot of people really haven't kept up with changing times. We now have a largely "service
> economy".

Yes.

> Good manufacturing (and other) jobs are gone.

Nope. Most obviously with the aircraft industry, car industry,
pharmaceuticals, movies, music, software, etc etc etc.

> Cashiers and other jobs like that are now careers for folks since there is no other choice.

Corse there is still even more choice than there ever was, most obviously
with doctors, teachers, engineers, construction, manufacturing, and hordes
of new stuff like google, twitter, facebook, etc etc etc which all still need people.

SMS

Jan 18, 2011, 1:31:40 PM1/18/11
On 1/16/2011 7:34 AM, KenK wrote:
> I got home yesterday and, checking the receipt, found I had been charged
> twice for two items - $6 extra.<SIGH> This was one of those things - cat
> litter - where you peel off one the labels and they scan it instead of
> putting the heavy items on the belt. I'm sure they wouldn't believe me if I
> complained now. This, though very rare, is not the first time. What's the
> solution? Read the long list of items on the receipt before you leave the
> checkout? Hard to do for thirty or so items, especially with the hard-to-
> decipher abbreviations on the slip. Or watch them print out as scanned?
> Hard to remember the whole list so as to catch the very rare duplicate?
> <sigh> Or concentrate on scanned removed labels? I think we, at least I,
> am/are stuck.

Most of the stores that I shop at would probably believe you. If they
have video surveillance in the store they could look at the time on your
receipt and look at what was in your cart. A big bag of cat litter
should show up.

While I no longer stop for the exit checks at stores like Fry's, I
remember that they did once catch a double charge on the receipt. Costco
doesn't really check the receipt very carefully. I got home once and
found that I had not been charged for an item.