Why is Costco WHOLESALE sometimes more expensive then RETAIL stores?

www.Queensbridge.us

Aug 9, 2010, 9:19:15 PM8/9/10
Bought some mangoes in Jackson Height Queens.

Same brand is more then DOUBLE the price if you buy them Costco
"wholesale"!

How come?

I noticed other things that the wholesale price at Costco is more
expensive then retail stores.

Bill

Aug 9, 2010, 11:41:54 PM8/9/10
"www.Queensbridge.us" wrote in message

Why? Because people can't add. Also because there is a sucker born every
minute.

Annie Woughman

Aug 10, 2010, 3:13:54 PM8/10/10
You have to price check no matter where you shop. I buy certain things at
Costco, like some of my prescriptions are cheaper there by not using my
insurance and buying in quantities of 100. I also buy some OTC medications
like Ibuprofen. About the only food items I will buy at Costco are their
frozen salmon patties, chicken breasts, green beans, strawberries and
blueberries (all frozen). All the other food items come in too large of a
package and I can get the same price at Food-4-Less by buying a single item
at a time, instead of the banded together cans or bottles at Costco. I have
purchased several big ticket electronic items there, but now I will have to
get a fabulous deal to buy any big ticket item there because I found that
the American Express extended warranty is run by a bunch of morons and since
that is the only card they take, I will buy my big ticket electronics from
stores that will take VISA. The extended warranty from VISA is MUCH easier
to file and get paid for a claim.

"www.Queensbridge.us" <NOTv...@Queensbridge.us> wrote in message

SMS

Aug 20, 2010, 5:15:43 PM8/20/10

Produce is often much more expensive at Costco than at the ethnic
supermarkets and produce markets, but usually much less expensive than
the mainstream supermarkets.

rvanson

Aug 23, 2010, 5:11:15 PM8/23/10

COSTCO and SAMS are not worth the 50 bucks and waiting in line for an
hour.

vjp...@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com

Aug 24, 2010, 4:58:56 PM8/24/10
I realised when a wholesaler opened near me that I was turning my
house into a warehouse and a lot of stuff spoiled before I used
it. Even when you "saved" money, sometimes you didn't if you figured
in the storage and spoilage costs. But I also noticed some smaller
stores near apartment buildings were buyingthe 12-packs, and reselling
them at double the per unit cost. But apartment dwellers didn't have
the space to store the 12-packs.

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2

The Real Bev

Aug 24, 2010, 8:25:48 PM8/24/10
On 08/24/10 13:58, vjp...@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

> I realised when a wholesaler opened near me that I was turning my
> house into a warehouse and a lot of stuff spoiled before I used
> it. Even when you "saved" money, sometimes you didn't if you figured
> in the storage and spoilage costs. But I also noticed some smaller
> stores near apartment buildings were buyingthe 12-packs, and reselling
> them at double the per unit cost. But apartment dwellers didn't have
> the space to store the 12-packs.

The 35-packs of TP make excellent occasional seating when covered with,
say, a spare bedspread. Use a tablecloth and they make handy
end-tables. Anybody who can't eat a dozen Costco muffins before they
spoil just isn't trying. I can't imagine not having enough room to
store 6 pair of skivvies. Raise your bed higher off the floor using
those giant cans of vegetables. Just takes a bit of creativity.

You're right about huge quantities of produce, though. It HAS to be
used quickly and Costco's prices are generally not as good as what you
can get at your local ethnic produce store.

Their soda prices are ridiculous; wait until your local supermarket has
the swill on sale for $2/12-pack and stock up. The 12-packs can make
nice end tables too.

--
Cheers, Bev