Save gas going to grocery store...

Bill

Feb 13, 2010, 12:06:39 PM2/13/10
I have two of everything...

Two ketchup, two mustard, two mayonnaise, two of each type of salad
dressings, etc.

If I run out of something, I grab the second and write that item on my
shopping list. I don't need to go to the store to get that item right now.

Other things I use more of I will have 3, 4, or more of.

Basically one months worth of everything. Each time I use something up, I
write it on the shopping list. But don't need to go to the store right then
to get it because I have extras.

So I only need to go to the store once a month.

Same with other things. If I can stock up on something, then I don't need to
go to the store as often. Saves on gas driving there. (In my case the store
is quite a distance away as I live in a rural area...)

Rod Speed

Feb 13, 2010, 12:41:26 PM2/13/10
Bill wrote

> I have two of everything...

I have a lot more than two of most things I use much.

> Two ketchup, two mustard, two mayonnaise, two of each type of salad dressings, etc.

> If I run out of something, I grab the second and write that item on my
> shopping list. I don't need to go to the store to get that item right now.

I prefer to put it on the list of things I need sometime
and only buy it when it shows up as a special. And I
have a list of the best specials prices I have seen too.

> Other things I use more of I will have 3, 4, or more of.

And also the stuff that has been seen on a better than usual
special price as long as I will use it before its best before date etc.

> Basically one months worth of everything.

I have a lot more than that with quite a bit of stuff. For example
I currently have a year's supply of marmalade when I found a
special for limes, something you dont see that often at all and
I decided to get into making marmalade because the one I liked
most stopped being made and I couldnt find anything as good.

> Each time I use something up, I write it on the shopping list.

I only do that when the the supply is getting low. And it
isnt a shopping list with other than fresh food either, its
essentially a list of what to look for in specials etc.

> But don't need to go to the store right then to get it because I have extras.

> So I only need to go to the store once a month.

Thats not that easy with fresh fruit and veg.

> Same with other things. If I can stock up on something, then I don't
> need to go to the store as often. Saves on gas driving there. (In my
> case the store is quite a distance away as I live in a rural area...)

In my case it isnt, but I find shopping too boring so prefer to minimise the trips.

Michael Black

Feb 13, 2010, 3:08:06 PM2/13/10

I've never driven in my life, so think of all the money I've saved that
way.

No, the way to do it is to track what you use, and buy when on sale. If
the mustard is getting low, you know it's time to watch for it on sale,
and you do it enough in advance so you will find it on sale before it runs
out. That's not a great example, the difference isn't big between sale
and regular price, but it is something I need right now.

There are some things I'll never buy except on sale. Other things, I'll
wait and buy even if they don't come on sale. It depends on the item.
But when you know you will be using an item, far better to plan in
advance and buy when it's on sale.

Michael

The Henchman

Feb 13, 2010, 3:38:11 PM2/13/10

"Bill" <billnoma...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I have two of everything...

> So I only need to go to the store once a month.

That's good if you get your food from a box or a can. Sensible people who
wish to save money on long term health care costs eat fresh fruit and
veggies every single days, hopefully ten servings. They use the freshest
and leanest cuts of meat etc. You can't freeze or cure everything.
Preserving uses high amounts of sugar or sodium or hfcs or or or....
Preserving reduces the nutritional value of fresh ingredients even when you
blanch at home.

If you think only purchasing food once a month is saving you money think
again. With the cost of health care continually outpacing inflation your
personal costs will increase substantially to deal with health care. You
are deliberately downgrading the quality of your life if you think saving a
few pennies on canned soup is good. This downgrade in your health will cost
you exponentially in the future for health care costs.

Unless you are growing your own fresh food 365 days a year.....

Rod Speed

Feb 13, 2010, 4:58:11 PM2/13/10
The Henchman wrote:
> "Bill" <billnoma...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I have two of everything...
>
>> So I only need to go to the store once a month.
>

> That's good if you get your food from a box or a can. Sensible
> people who wish to save money on long term health care costs eat
> fresh fruit and veggies every single days, hopefully ten servings. They use the freshest and leanest cuts of meat etc.
> You can't freeze
> or cure everything. Preserving uses high amounts of sugar or sodium
> or hfcs or or or.... Preserving reduces the nutritional value of
> fresh ingredients even when you blanch at home.
>
> If you think only purchasing food once a month is saving you money
> think again. With the cost of health care continually outpacing inflation your personal costs will increase
> substantially to deal with health care.

Not necessarily in countrys which have decent health care funding systems.

> You are deliberately downgrading the quality of your life if you think saving a few pennies on canned soup is good.

You havent established that home made soup is any healthier.

> This downgrade in your health will cost you exponentially in the future for health care costs.

Easy to claim, have fun actually substantiating that claim.

> Unless you are growing your own fresh food 365 days a year.....

And that is very easy to do. And it does not have to be grown
365 days a year either, plenty of it like potatoes etc stores well.

Kalmia

Feb 15, 2010, 1:42:40 PM2/15/10

Wouldn't you go nuts doing the tracking and then the watching for
sales? And what if you can never perfect this system? I like the
op's system - one working and one on hand, UNLESS it's something like
Tabasco which seems to last for ages. I think it must work fine for
him as far as staples go.

That said, seems I'm still always at the store for fresh produce,
meats, etc. plus I hate to plan meals too far ahead.

If you live close to a store or have one on the way home from a job
everyday, vs. having to make a 30 miles roundtrip, then I am sure
your shopping habits will differ a lot.

Mrs Irish Mike

Feb 16, 2010, 10:40:16 PM2/16/10
On Feb 13, 1:58 pm, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Henchman wrote:
> > "Bill" <billnomailnosp...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> 365 days a year either, plenty of it like potatoes etc stores well.- Hide quoted text -

Mr Rod Speed, I know you haven't left the house in a decade or more,
let alone been to the USA, but pleas allow me to explain a few things
for you.

Nearly evry packaged product in the US is full of high fructose corn
syrup. All packaged grains have been degermed. Nearly every canned
good is full of sodium, that has been proven to cause many unhealthful
comditions. Foods processed to where they barely resemble the food
they came from, nutrition has been cooked out and has to be
reintroduced in the form of synthetic vitamins. The US and many other
countries no suffer alarming rates of obesity because people are so
malnursihed that they eat and eat, but never get the nutrition they
crave. Poor people are fat because they eat cheap food, rich people
seem fit because they need only eat the right food in the right
portions.

Rod Speed

Feb 17, 2010, 12:01:11 AM2/17/10
Mrs Irish Mike wrote

> Rod Speed <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote
>> The Henchman wrote
>>> Bill <billnomailnosp...@yahoo.com> wrote

>>> That's good if you get your food from a box or a can. Sensible
>>> people who wish to save money on long term health care costs eat
>>> fresh fruit and veggies every single days, hopefully ten servings.
>>> They use the freshest and leanest cuts of meat etc. You can't freeze
>>> or cure everything. Preserving uses high amounts of sugar or sodium
>>> or hfcs or or or.... Preserving reduces the nutritional value of
>>> fresh ingredients even when you blanch at home.

>>> If you think only purchasing food once a month is saving you money
>>> think again. With the cost of health care continually outpacing
>>> inflation your personal costs will increase substantially to deal
>>> with health care.

>> Not necessarily in countrys which have decent health care funding systems.

>>> You are deliberately downgrading the quality of your life if you
>>> think saving a few pennies on canned soup is good.

>> You havent established that home made soup is any healthier.

>>> This downgrade in your health will cost you exponentially in the
>>> future for health care costs.

>> Easy to claim, have fun actually substantiating that claim.

>>> Unless you are growing your own fresh food 365 days a year.....

>> And that is very easy to do. And it does not have to be grown
>> 365 days a year either, plenty of it like potatoes etc stores well.-

> Mr Rod Speed, I know you haven't left the house in a decade or more,

Guess which silly little prat has just got egg all over its silly little face, as always ?

> let alone been to the USA,

Guess which silly little prat has just got egg all over its silly little face, as always ?

> but pleas allow me to explain a few things for you.

You didnt actually 'explain' a damned thing, just made a complete prat of yourself, as always.

> Nearly evry packaged product in the US is full of high fructose corn syrup.

It aint rat poison, fuckwit.

> All packaged grains have been degermed.

Hardly the end of civilisation as we know it.

> Nearly every canned good is full of sodium,

Another pig ignorant lie. And plenty dont bother with any canned goods anyway.

> that has been proven to cause many unhealthful comditions.

Just a few in fact.

> Foods processed to where they barely resemble the food they came from,

Not even possible with fresh fruit and veg, fuckwit.

> nutrition has been cooked out

Not even possible with fresh fruit and veg, frozen veg or fresh meat, fuckwit.

> and has to be reintroduced in the form of synthetic vitamins.

Another pig ignorant lie.

> The US and many other countries no suffer alarming rates of obesity

Because fools like you shovel a lot more calories into your stupid mouths than you burn, fuckwit.

> because people are so malnursihed that they eat
> and eat, but never get the nutrition they crave.

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you have
never ever had a fucking clue about anything at all, ever.

> Poor people are fat because they eat cheap food,

Corse no one but poor people are ever fat, eh ?

> rich people seem fit because they need only eat the right food in the right portions.

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you have
never ever had a fucking clue about anything at all, ever.

Feb 22, 2010, 8:39:59 PM2/22/10

"Michael Black" <et...@ncf.ca> wrote in message

> No, the way to do it is to track what you use, and buy when on sale.

Umm, how does that work? I/we only eat meat, dairy, fruit, and veg. So...how
exactly do we buy that only "on sale", with the exception of meat? We get
all our meats on regular/365 low prices from the local butcher shop for a
lot less than Walmart ($4.98/boneless ribeye @ butcher versus walmart
$8.98). Fresh stuff has to be purchased where and when you can find it. If
you are buying "readymade" stuff, then you pay what you pay. The rest of us
make our stuff from scratch.

Rod Speed

Feb 22, 2010, 8:59:44 PM2/22/10
h wrote:
> "Michael Black" <et...@ncf.ca> wrote in message
>>>
>> No, the way to do it is to track what you use, and buy when on sale.

> Umm, how does that work?

Very well indeed.

> I/we only eat meat, dairy, fruit, and veg.

So do most.

> So...how exactly do we buy that only "on sale", with the exception of meat?

Everyone has diary fruit and veg on sale.

> We get all our meats on regular/365 low prices from the local
> butcher shop for a lot less than Walmart ($4.98/boneless ribeye @
> butcher versus walmart $8.98).

Pity about what others have on sale.

> Fresh stuff has to be purchased where and when you can find it.

Yes, but you can still buy what is on sale.

> If you are buying "readymade" stuff, then you pay what you pay.

Nope, that is on sale too.

> The rest of us make our stuff from scratch.

You can buy the ingredients on sale too.