parking tickets

1 view

cho...@bixdesignstudio.co.uk

Mar 3, 2009, 3:56:58 AM3/3/09
I got a parking ticket for not displaying a valid parking permit etc
etc but because I did in fact have a valid perking permit displayed, I
assumed that a mistake had been made and emailed the council
accordingly. The following day I saw a warden giving me another ticket
so I asked what he was doing, he said "you're not displaying a valid
permit", so I showed him the permit displayed on the screen. He then
showed me my expired tax disc and said that the permit wasn't valid
because the tax disc had expired! How devious is that? I had in fact
applied for a tax disc on 10th December allowing plenty of time for it
to get to me before the end of Dec, however, it never arrived and I
forgot all about it. As soon as I was made aware of the actual reason,
I got a duplicate tax disc (FOC) from my local DVLA office.

Dave Garland

Mar 3, 2009, 10:49:03 AM3/3/09
cho...@bixdesignstudio.co.uk wrote:
> I got a parking ticket for not displaying a valid parking permit etc
> etc...

> showed me my expired tax disc and said that the permit wasn't valid
> because the tax disc had expired! How devious is that? I had in fact
> applied for a tax disc..

I don't know how devious it is, but it sounds like parking wardens all
over the world. Chances are, the law requires you to not only have
applied for it, but to display it. But it's the sort of thing that if
your paperwork really is in order, you can probably get dismissed if
you appear suitably contrite.

Dave

JonquilJan

Mar 3, 2009, 4:14:54 PM3/3/09
funny story here about parking tickets.

Many years ago, I was having surgery and my mother parked in the hospital
parking lot - which had meters. Surgery took longer than expected and she
got a parking ticket. I was hospitalized for 2 weeks after the surgery. My
mother continued to come every day - and parked in the same parking lot -
with the parking ticket under the wiper - and she put nothing in the meters.
She never got another ticket in those 2 weeks - and the original ticket cost
was less than feeding the meter would have been. She put the ticket with
the fine in the 'courtesy' box the day she brought me home.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

albu...@mailinator.com

Mar 3, 2009, 4:44:22 PM3/3/09
On Mar 3, 4:14 pm, "JonquilJan" <war...@imcnet.net> wrote:
> funny story here about parking tickets.
>
> Many years ago, I was having surgery and my mother parked in the hospital
> parking lot - which had meters. Surgery took longer than expected and she
> got a parking ticket. I was hospitalized for 2 weeks after the surgery. My
> mother continued to come every day - and parked in the same parking lot -
> with the parking ticket under the wiper - and she put nothing in the meters.
> She never got another ticket in those 2 weeks - and the original ticket cost
> was less than feeding the meter would have been. She put the ticket with
> the fine in the 'courtesy' box the day she brought me home.
>
> JonquilJan

And the lesson here folks is that crooks large or petty, have 24/7 to
figure out how to cheat the system.
Thank you for sharing.

The Real Bev

Mar 3, 2009, 5:41:42 PM3/3/09
albu...@mailinator.com wrote:

> On Mar 3, 4:14 pm, "JonquilJan" <war...@imcnet.net> wrote:
>> funny story here about parking tickets.
>>
>> Many years ago, I was having surgery and my mother parked in the hospital
>> parking lot - which had meters. Surgery took longer than expected and she
>> got a parking ticket. I was hospitalized for 2 weeks after the surgery. My
>> mother continued to come every day - and parked in the same parking lot -
>> with the parking ticket under the wiper - and she put nothing in the meters.
>> She never got another ticket in those 2 weeks - and the original ticket cost
>> was less than feeding the meter would have been. She put the ticket with
>> the fine in the 'courtesy' box the day she brought me home.

Good for your mom! Ignore albundy.

> And the lesson here folks is that crooks large or petty, have 24/7 to
> figure out how to cheat the system.
> Thank you for sharing.

Don't be an ass. Hospitals and medical buildings charge an arm and a leg for
parking because (a) they can influence where on-street parking is prohibited;
(2) you can't choose a doctor with free parking because there aren't any; and
(3) it's a profit center for the docs who, naturally, make you wait an hour
AFTER your appointment time to see you.

Screw 'em when you can, they do it to you!

--
Cheers, Bev
"Arguing on the internet is like running a race in the Special

Patricia Martin Steward

Mar 3, 2009, 9:58:20 PM3/3/09
On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 00:56:58 -0800 (PST), cho...@bixdesignstudio.co.uk
wrote:

>He then
>showed me my expired tax disc and said that the permit wasn't valid
>because the tax disc had expired! How devious is that?

Not devious at all, actually. It was your responsibility to make sure
the tax disc -- whatever in the world that is -- was up to date. You
screwed up. Own it.

--
January 20, 2009
The end of an error

Message has been deleted

MarieD

Mar 4, 2009, 1:26:12 PM3/4/09
"The Real Bev" <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Don't be an ass. Hospitals and medical buildings charge an arm and a leg
> for parking because (a) they can influence where on-street parking is
> prohibited; (2) you can't choose a doctor with free parking because there
> aren't any; and (3) it's a profit center for the docs who, naturally, make
> you wait an hour AFTER your appointment time to see you.

I've never even been to a hospital or medical building where you are charged
for parking. I didn't know they even existed! That's horrible.
Marie

The Real Bev

Mar 4, 2009, 1:43:27 PM3/4/09
MarieD wrote:

> "The Real Bev" <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Don't be an ass. Hospitals and medical buildings charge an arm and a leg
>> for parking because (a) they can influence where on-street parking is
>> prohibited; (2) you can't choose a doctor with free parking because there
>> aren't any; and (3) it's a profit center for the docs who, naturally, make
>> you wait an hour AFTER your appointment time to see you.
>
> I've never even been to a hospital or medical building where you are charged
> for parking. I didn't know they even existed! That's horrible.

Worst case: $1 for 20 minutes. Fortunately there WAS on-street parking there
-- that building wasn't in the "medical district". The place I sometimes have
to park (when I can't take my bicycle) is 40 cents for 20 minutes. They do it
because they can get away with it.

There's also no overnight parking in Pasadena -- supposedly for safety and
street-cleaning purposes. BUT you can pay for an exemption if your apartment
house doesn't have enough parking for all the residents or you're having
visitors from out of town. Another profit center.

"First thing let's kill all the meter maids."

--
Cheers,
Bev

Seerialmom

Mar 4, 2009, 3:07:59 PM3/4/09

No idea what a "tax disc (FOC)" or "local DVLA office" is. But it
sounds like you probably owe some ticket money.

Mar 5, 2009, 9:20:01 AM3/5/09

"MarieD" <a...@123.com> wrote in message

You're kidding. I've never been to a hospital or medical building where they
DIDN'T charge for parking. They all do, at least the ones I've visited in
NY, NC, MI, and OH. Even the rural ones.

Strider

Mar 5, 2009, 12:19:52 PM3/5/09
<cho...@bixdesignstudio.co.uk> wrote in message

No idea what a "tax disc" is, but these days govts. are desperate for
revenue. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the DVLA deliberately "lost" your
application so the old disc would expire and you'd get a ticket. They always
have the "bureaucratic snafu" excuse. I've seen a large increase in cops
prowling the highways & operating speed traps the last few months, as LEOs
are being used as auxiliary tax collectors.
Of course, such shenanigans are not limited to govt. I once got a
collection notice on a bill I'd paid 2 months earlier. A few days later the
canceled check arrived with the bank statement. The company was trying to
double-dip by holding the check, hiring a collection agency and then cashing
the check. And credit card issuers are notorious for sitting on checks until
after the due date so they can add late fees and jack up the interest rate.
*Always* pay credit card bills electronically.

Cindy Hamilton

Mar 5, 2009, 1:10:19 PM3/5/09
On Mar 5, 9:20 am, "h" <tmcl...@searchmachine.com> wrote:

> You're kidding. I've never been to a hospital or medical building where they
> DIDN'T charge for parking. They all do, at least the ones I've visited in
> NY, NC, MI, and OH. Even the rural ones.

St. Joseph in Ypsilanti, MI, doesn't.

In fact, the only one I've been to that charged was the University of
Michigan Medical Center. Parking is definitely a revenue stream
for the university.

Cindy Hamilton

Mar 5, 2009, 2:38:39 PM3/5/09

"Cindy Hamilton" <angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>Cindy Hamilton

Interesting. All the hospitals I've been to in NC, MI, and OH have been at
universities. Maybe that's it. Still doesn't explain the non-academically
affiliated med buildings in NY, but there's nothing free in NY.

JonquilJan

Mar 5, 2009, 4:32:23 PM3/5/09
My original story - about my mother using a parking ticket for 2 weeks - was
at a hospital in Erie PA. (and in 1981) Where I am now located - near
Watertown NY - the hospital does have free parking in one lot (big space in
the center of the lot reserved for helicopter). The other lot occasionally
has an attendant - but usually not. And even then - if I am going for an
appointment at the adjacent medical office building - there is no charge.

imascot

Mar 5, 2009, 5:56:54 PM3/5/09
"h" <tmc...@searchmachine.com> wrote in

> You're kidding. I've never been to a hospital or medical building
> where they DIDN'T charge for parking. They all do, at least the ones
> I've visited in NY, NC, MI, and OH. Even the rural ones.

Amazingly, here in the Land O' Property Taxes (Long Island, NY), Good Samaritan Hospital and
Southside/North Shore/LI Jewish don't. Many others do, of course.

J.

Tomes

Mar 17, 2009, 11:34:48 AM3/17/09
"JonquilJan" ...

> funny story here about parking tickets.
>
> Many years ago, I was having surgery and my mother parked in the hospital
> parking lot - which had meters. Surgery took longer than expected and she
> got a parking ticket. I was hospitalized for 2 weeks after the surgery.
> My
> mother continued to come every day - and parked in the same parking lot -
> with the parking ticket under the wiper - and she put nothing in the
> meters.
> She never got another ticket in those 2 weeks - and the original ticket
> cost
> was less than feeding the meter would have been. She put the ticket with
> the fine in the 'courtesy' box the day she brought me home.

My story on this is as follows:
When at Rutgers doing graduate work I just did not get around to buying the
parking sticker because they were never open when I could get there. Early
on I got a ticket. When I went to pay it (leaving work early with
permission) they told me that if I just get the sticker they would waive the
fine, so I did that. Then with this knowledge I never bought another
sticker as the real price of the ticket was just buying the sticker if I
needed to. I never then needed to again.