Worth puting a SSD in a netbook?

m...@privacy.net

Feb 2, 2011, 1:48:14 PM2/2/11
I've got a $300 Samsung netbook single core Atom chip
in it and 2 gigs ram

Wondering if it is cost effective putting an SSD drive
in it?

Performance is kind of slow as it is now

Anyone?

Rod Speed

Feb 2, 2011, 2:10:02 PM2/2/11
m...@privacy.net wrote:

Thats the Atom, a pretty puny cpu, that wont change.

> Anyone?

Gordon

Feb 2, 2011, 4:46:52 PM2/2/11
m...@privacy.net wrote in news:3n9jk6hrb0caic9lh...@4ax.com:

It probably runs Windows 7, no?
Bad choice of an opperating system for an Atom CPU.
If it was me; I would instal Linux. Two approaches
come to mind. First: Ubutu. You get the choice of
three different windows managers (Gnome, KDE, and another)
pick the other. Gnome and KDE use too much CPU cycles.
There is also a Unbutu made for netbooks. Look for
Unbutu Net Remix.

Michael Black

Feb 2, 2011, 5:24:02 PM2/2/11
On Wed, 2 Feb 2011, m...@privacy.net wrote:

> I've got a $300 Samsung netbook single core Atom chip
> in it and 2 gigs ram

All the initial netbooks had no hard drives. The second generation
from each company moved to hard drives.

That seems pretty telling.

Michael

Gary Heston

Feb 2, 2011, 8:05:30 PM2/2/11
In article <3n9jk6hrb0caic9lh...@4ax.com>,

>Anyone?

Performance varies from brand to brand, as does price. What type and
size drive is currently in your netbook?

Here are a few links to ssd reviews, so you can get an idea of what is
available and what specs to look at:

http://www.reghardware.com/2010/07/14/review_storage_ssd_kingston_ssdnow_v_plus_512gb/

http://www.reghardware.com/2010/06/17/review_storage_western_digital_siliconedge_blue_ssd/

http://www.reghardware.com/2010/04/07/review_storage_crucial_ssd_c300/

http://www.reghardware.com/2010/06/24/crucial_realssd_c300_64gb/

Gary

m...@privacy.net

Feb 2, 2011, 8:34:12 PM2/2/11
Gordon <go...@alltomyself.com> wrote:

>It probably runs Windows 7, no?
>Bad choice of an opperating system for an Atom CPU.
>If it was me; I would instal Linux. Two approaches
>come to mind. First: Ubutu. You get the choice of
>three different windows managers (Gnome, KDE, and another)
>pick the other. Gnome and KDE use too much CPU cycles.
>There is also a Unbutu made for netbooks. Look for
>Unbutu Net Remix.

Thanks GREAT idea!!

I ill install ubuntu and use the money saved for
ANOTHER full fledged 14" laptop I think

m...@privacy.net

Feb 2, 2011, 8:34:23 PM2/2/11
ghe...@hiwaay.net (Gary Heston) wrote:

>What type and
>size drive is currently in your netbook?

160 gig 5400rpm

The Real Bev

Feb 2, 2011, 9:23:46 PM2/2/11
On 02/02/11 13:46, Gordon wrote:

> m...@privacy.net wrote in news:3n9jk6hrb0caic9lh...@4ax.com:
>
>> I've got a $300 Samsung netbook single core Atom chip
>> in it and 2 gigs ram
>>
>> Wondering if it is cost effective putting an SSD drive
>> in it?
>>
>> Performance is kind of slow as it is now
>>
>> Anyone?
>
> It probably runs Windows 7, no?
> Bad choice of an opperating system for an Atom CPU.
> If it was me; I would instal Linux. Two approaches
> come to mind. First: Ubutu. You get the choice of
> three different windows managers (Gnome, KDE, and another)

The advantage of KDE is that the GUI is already configured with all the
KDE applications. Point and shoot. So is Gnome, probably, but I haven't
used that. I use fvwm95 as a window manager, but I had to configure the
menu myself -- it comes with a generic menu which probably won't match
what you actually have. Not difficult, and not that hard to figure out
how to do it (just edit a text file), but it involves SOME effort.

I learned to like KDE on my laptop.

--
Cheers, Bev
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Chief Thracian

Feb 4, 2011, 5:13:32 AM2/4/11
On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 19:34:12 -0600, m...@privacy.net wrote:

>I ill install ubuntu

If you wanna go Ubuntu, may I suggest Linux Mint...most user friendly
version of Ubuntu.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

There is also Puppy Linux, specifically created for older systems, and
PCs with diminutive memory and hard drive space. You can even run it
off a removable SD card or USB stick.

http://www.puppylinux.org/

Or Crunchbang, another streamlined Linux distro:

http://crunchbanglinux.org/

I presently run Linux Mint 10 (latest version) on my 10" netbook, with
no problems at all. I've also run Puppy Linux and Crunchbang on it,
and loved 'em both.

You might find this page useful:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10things/10-solid-linux-distributions-for-your-netbook/729

>ANOTHER full fledged 14" laptop I think

Since CompUSA shut down all its brick&mortar shops and went 100%
online, their customer satisfaction has skyrocketed to among the
highest in their field. I've bought my last three systems from them,
and have been always delighted. They were all /refurbished/ by the
way, so I got a lot of bang for my buck. And, they were/are all like
new, in excellent condition. I strongly recommend you purchase your
laptop at CompUSA, refurbished or otherwise.

Cheerz!

BigDog811

Feb 4, 2011, 9:44:21 AM2/4/11
On Feb 4, 3:13 am, Chief Thracian <chief-thrac...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 19:34:12 -0600, m...@privacy.net wrote:
> >I ill install ubuntu
>
> If you wanna go Ubuntu, may I suggest Linux Mint...most user friendly
> version of Ubuntu.
>
> http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
>
> There is also Puppy Linux, specifically created for older systems, and
> PCs with diminutive memory and hard drive space. You can even run it
> off a removable SD card or USB stick.
>
> http://www.puppylinux.org/
>
> Or Crunchbang, another streamlined Linux distro:
>
> http://crunchbanglinux.org/
>
> I presently run Linux Mint 10 (latest version) on my 10" netbook, with
> no problems at all. I've also run Puppy Linux and Crunchbang on it,
> and loved 'em both.
>
> You might find this page useful:
>
> http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10things/10-solid-linux-distribution...

> >ANOTHER full fledged 14" laptop I think
>
> Since CompUSA shut down all its brick&mortar shops and went 100%
> online, their customer satisfaction has skyrocketed to among the
> highest in their field. I've bought my last three systems from them,
> and have been always delighted. They were all /refurbished/ by the
> way, so I got a lot of bang for my buck. And, they were/are all like
> new, in excellent condition. I strongly recommend you purchase your
> laptop at CompUSA, refurbished or otherwise.
>
> Cheerz!

Not to put too fine a point on things.

The current online CompUSA web site has nothing whatever to do with
the former and thankfully defunct CompUSA. The brand and logo were
purchased by TigerDirect as part of the liquidation.

Compare these sites:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/

http://www.compusa.com/#

Dennis

Feb 4, 2011, 10:34:16 PM2/4/11

A 120G SSD drive with decent read/write speed is going to cost you
over $200. You'll have to decide if you want to spend that on a $300
netbook. BTW, make sure your netbook has a SATA interface before you
go buying one of the commonly available SATA SSD drives. ;-)

I just put together a new desktop PC with a 60G SSD drive for the OS
and common applications ($130). It boots Windows 7, from power on to
login prompt, in about 12 seconds. Zippy.

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm a hands-on, footloose, knee-jerk head case. -George Carlin

Chief Thracian

Feb 5, 2011, 1:46:56 AM2/5/11
On Fri, 4 Feb 2011 06:44:21 -0800 (PST), BigDog811
<bigd...@gmail.com> wrote:

>The current online CompUSA web site has nothing whatever to do with
>the former and thankfully defunct CompUSA. The brand and logo were
>purchased by TigerDirect as part of the liquidation.

I am aware of that. TigerDirect has salvaged CompUSA's rep. Just
didn't think it useful to go into details.

sms

Dec 24, 2012, 4:43:26 PM12/24/12
Not worth it.

Netbooks are intended for very basic tasks, web browsing and office
applications. Even installing Linux isn't going to help the performance
of a Netbook.

For $400 you can buy a Core i3 laptop.

Michael Black

Dec 24, 2012, 10:56:07 PM12/24/12
Do you really think it's necessary to reply to a message from February of
2011, that's two months short of 2 years ago.

I would also point out that the first netbooks had no hard drives, they
used solid state drives. It was only when marketing realized they weren't
selling well, people wanted those big drives, that they went from about
8gig solid state drives to 160gig hard drives, bringing the same fragility
that any mechanical drive brings to a portable.

Michael