Is riding on sidewalk a sign of Banana Republic?

His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Free Spirits of the Jungle

Nov 10, 2010, 10:22:22 AM11/10/10
I see it all around here: 90% of the monkeys use sidewalks for their
errands on bikes. The problem is this creates a conflict with
pedestrians --who are not insignificant-- as well as being no less
dangerous to the cyclist. Why there's no enforcement against it?

Actually, one wealthy community around here --populated by the lions--
does enforce that ordinance and tickets cyclists on the sidewalks.
That's how the monkey learns. Now, if that ban were to be enforced
elsewhere, would that 90% move to the road or just put away their
bicycles? In my view, it depends what safety we provide on the road.
If we give them the lane --such as I propose-- they would be able to
share with traffic, not the lane. If we don't, it would probably be
the end of bicycling for practical reasons, however insignificant it
is now.

That's another good reason for a Banana Revolution. ;)

His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Free Spirits of the Jungle

Nov 10, 2010, 10:58:53 AM11/10/10
On Nov 10, 10:37 am, "Mike" <mikehu...@lycos.com> wrote:
> Why have you not yet responded to the question that asked, "How to you take
> your wife and four children with you on your bike?"
>
> Not only can we take our wife and our four children with us, here in the US
> in our safer SUVs, we can also take all of their "Stuff" with us as well.
> ;)

First of all, you should be buying a minivan not an SUV to carry that
much people.

Secondly, do you take that many people EVERYWHERE? How about a quick
hop to the market where you don't want to move 6 tons of steel to get
a bunch of bananas?

How about a family outing on bike? Hey, the kids may even like it! ;)

His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Free Spirits of the Jungle

Nov 10, 2010, 12:52:25 PM11/10/10
(I knew somehow I was in the right forum... Apartheid, only that it's
not so obvious this time. It must be hard to be discriminated for your
color, but it's even harder when you know you are doing the right
thing. Worse, few people out there even care about your fate and even
my stupid neighbor thinks I shouldn't be on the road, the middle of
the lane that is. Riding on the edge is also a form of discrimination
since you must share the same lane with a car, exposing your fragile
life to brutish or negligent drivers. And then the humiliation. Some
struggle over the lane --created by a stupid sign-- ended up in a
driver spitting in my face. If they forbid it on the road it would be
less of a teasing. We are not welcomed on the road)

On Nov 10, 11:21 am, Gokudomatic <gourry.gabr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10 nov, 17:00, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Free Spirits

> I'm a lucky non US citizen but I had the misluck to live a couple of
> years near this land of evil. And since I favor cycling a lot, I tried
> there to bike everyday going work. I've quickly lost count on how many
> times I was almost caught in an accident that would have killed me. Of
> course Mike won't go out with a bicycle and his family, he doesn't
> want to die and he's too busy trying to kill others bicycle rides with
> his SUV.

It's all the danger plus the harassment of drivers who feel entitled
to the whole road.

I don't think even a black under Apartheid felt this insignificant.
But life goes on, and we pretend to live in democracy.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Free Spirits of the Jungle

Nov 10, 2010, 1:39:05 PM11/10/10

On Nov 10, 1:30 pm, dali_70 <w_e_coyot...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 10, 11:28 am, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Free

> Spirits of the Jungle" <nolionnoprob...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > On Nov 10, 11:21 am, Gokudomatic <gourry.gabr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > It's all the danger plus the harassment of drivers who feel entitled
> > to the whole road.
>

> Try riding a skate board. You're invisible to everyone but the cops,
> who've got a hard on to harass the ever living shit out of you for
> being a "punk".

They probably associate punks with rebelliousness and they don't like
that. They rather have you with a nice haircut and driving a Toyota.
Try to put a bumper sticker of "God is my co-pilot" for double
insurance. ;)

His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Free Spirits of the Jungle

Nov 10, 2010, 2:11:00 PM11/10/10
On Nov 10, 1:49 pm, "Mike" <mikehu...@lycos.com> wrote:
> The kids all have bikes, that is what bikes are for, children.

Really? Well, not all grown ups consider bikes to be for kids. And
what do we do about Climate Change? Oops, you deny it. Let's try this:
What do we do about the obesity epidemic? What do we do about chronic
depression from lack of exercise? My mice would die without their
wheel.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Free Spirits of the Jungle

Nov 10, 2010, 3:06:41 PM11/10/10
ORGASMIC MOMENT:

"I have this recurring fantasy at all times of the day, no matter
where I am or what I am doing: there are no more cars/trucks in the
world, but all the big, wide roads and highways are still there. I and
other bicyclists are whizzing along in the middle of the lanes, we
rule the roads! Aaaahhhhhhhhh…(orgasmic sigh).

Okay, have to snap out of it, back to the real world, onto the
sidewalk…"

http://www.commutebybike.com/2008/07/09/top-5-rules-for-riding-on-the-sidewalk/

His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Free Spirits of the Jungle

Nov 10, 2010, 3:37:51 PM11/10/10
Finally, a place that is not a Banana Republic. And the pedestrians
even give you the finger!

"In Stockholm the police will stop you if you ride on the sidewalk and
the pedestrians will give you the finger. I know a guy who got a
ticket for taking a shortcut over a sidewalk."

http://www.commutebybike.com/2008/07/09/top-5-rules-for-riding-on-the-sidewalk/

I think those Scandinavians take their democracy seriously.

SparkoHeaps

Nov 10, 2010, 6:15:53 PM11/10/10
On Nov 10, 12:37 pm, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Free

Spirits of the Jungle" <comandante.ban...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Finally, a place that is not a Banana Republic. And the pedestrians
> even give you the finger!
>
> "In Stockholm the police will stop you if you ride on the sidewalk and
> the pedestrians will give you the finger. I know a guy who got a
> ticket for taking a shortcut over a sidewalk."
>
> http://www.commutebybike.com/2008/07/09/top-5-rules-for-riding-on-the...

> I think those Scandinavians take their democracy seriously.

Here in America, a cop stopped me and told me to get off the road and
onto a sidewalk.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Free Spirits of the Jungle

Nov 10, 2010, 8:26:36 PM11/10/10

Wow, did you tell him to mind his own business? ;)

I think they are as clueless as anybody else, and we are all fighting
over no-man's land. An old lady then would hit you with the umbrella
on the sidewalk.

On Nov 10, 7:48 pm, thea <thea.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 2:07 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Free

> Spirits of the Jungle <comandante.ban...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >http://www.commutebybike.com/2008/07/09/top-5-rules-for-riding-on-the...
>
> Ah yes as that is the day that electronics fail to work due to the Sun.
> It will be interesting when the only one that can make it around the
> neighborhood will
> be someone just like you who owns a bike and has been riding for a long
> while.
> Otherwise, they will go a block and be so out of breath, that they will push
> the bike
> home again and go nowhere.

The thing I propose, Thea, is to have options. One lane dedicated to
bicycles, small electric vehicles, scooters, skateboards, and maybe an
ass like Jesus. ;)

Joy Beeson

Nov 11, 2010, 1:24:25 AM11/11/10
On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 15:15:53 -0800 (PST), SparkoHeaps
<spark...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here in America, a cop stopped me and told me to get off the road and
> onto a sidewalk.

Here in America, a deputy once stopped me and told me to cross a state
road twice in order to avoid walking ten feet along the right shoulder
of said state road.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Free Spirits of the Jungle

Nov 11, 2010, 1:09:51 AM11/11/10
On Nov 11, 1:24 am, Joy Beeson <jbee...@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 15:15:53 -0800 (PST), SparkoHeaps
>
> <sparkohe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Here in America, a cop stopped me and told me to get off the road and
> > onto a sidewalk.
>
> Here in America, a deputy once stopped me and told me to cross a state
> road twice in order to avoid walking ten feet along the right shoulder
> of said state road.

Here in America, a policeman with the speed gun never saw that a
driver was attacking me. They tend to see how to milk drivers, not how
to make bikes safe. Same day a cop waved me off the road.

I get the feeling that we are not welcomed on the roads because we
don't feed the system.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Free Spirits of the Jungle

Nov 11, 2010, 8:36:58 AM11/11/10
On Nov 11, 5:39 am, "Sharx35" <sharx...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Free Spirits of the Jungle"
>
> <comandante.ban...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > 2- They should establish our space and give us the lane.
>
> Vehicles should get road space proportionate to the cost it takes to put the
> vehicle on the road. Bicycles would get about equivalent to the width of a
> bike tire.

You are wrong that. The bigger the vehicle the more taxes they should
pay for the wars, oil spills, carbon gases, etc.

Bicycles have no participation in such wars or environmental damage,
so they pay nothing and keep the lane.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Free Spirits of the Jungle

Nov 11, 2010, 10:26:43 AM11/11/10
This guy is saying the same thing I do:

"I live in downtown sacramento, and most of us ride Cruisers, we
generally travel at twice the speed of a walk. Only the spandex people
seem to use the road, and for good reason! Speed! They all want to be
Lance Armstrong, so silly in the city. I was told today, for the first
time by a cop, that I had to ride on the street. I had heard about him
from another person, and now it happened to me. There are hundreds of
people that cruise here, and none of them take the road! I will ride
on the road if I must, but I will take the whole lane and still cruise
and the same speed as if I were on the side walk. I hope others read
this, and do the same, and see how long that lasts!!!!"

http://www.commutebybike.com/2008/07/09/top-5-rules-for-riding-on-the-sidewalk/

Very interesting link indeed!

His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Free Spirits of the Jungle

Nov 11, 2010, 12:39:11 PM11/11/10
On Nov 11, 11:35 am, Gokudomatic <gourry.gabr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ô Highness of the Jungle, sometimes, your wisdom is so deep that I
> don't have a clue what you're talking about. May you enlight us with
> your benevolent knowledge.

Oh, all I'm saying is that we cyclists are not benefiting from the
subsidy in the form of low gasoline prices so our space on the road is
well earned by muscle. They, on the other hand, enjoy the lion's share
of the road and actively feed all kinds of problems out there.

The guy is pushing us out of the road because we don't pay our fair
share for it. That's a common strategy played by the foxes who are
experts at looking for excuses. I'm afraid he deserves some Holy Shit
flying around for that.

In the jungle you must deal with reality:

GAS PRICES ARE WAY TOO LOW to encourage conservation and new
technologies.

A banana gets you 3 miles on a bike and 1 block in a car (at 100 cal/
banana).

It's all a new wisdom that's why it looks deep. Actually it's old
wisdom, but I'm recycling it. But don't hesitate to ask for more light
as I can make the sun shine on you.

Could this make a good motto, "MAY THE SUN SHINE ON YOU?" Notice the
jungle is a very shady place.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Free Spirits of the Jungle

Nov 11, 2010, 3:01:41 PM11/11/10

On Nov 11, 2:24 pm, Deidzoeb <deidz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 11, 12:38 pm, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Free

> Sorry to jump into the middle of the thread. I haven't read the whole
> thing, but wanted to mention an interview I heard with a guy several
> months ago, pointing out that bicycles aren't as inherently great for
> the environment when you factor in the expense and impact of paving
> roads for them. We kind of take it for granted that bicycles make it
> so easy to get around and they're fueled by our own exercise. But they
> work so well because roads are already there. They don't work so well
> without the roads. (I mean, some people still get around on mountain
> bikes and offroad stuff, but if we're talking about commuters of all
> ages and abilities, some people might not be up to it.)
>
> I don't mean to dis bikes in general or imply they should never be
> used. It's still a much better solution than vehicles burning fossil
> fuel. Just a hidden cost that I was surprised to hear about.
>
> From Against the Grain radio on KPFA.
>
> http://againstthegrain.org/program/366/id/451529/tues-11-09-10-bicycl...
> "Is the bicycle the anti-car? Historian of technics Iain Boal
> discusses an unknown side to the bicycle's history, from the paving of
> roads to King Leopold's genocide in the Congo. Boal also speaks about
> another iconic 20th century means of crossing space -- the radio --
> and considers the political economy of elected boards at America's
> first listener-sponsored radio network, Pacifica. (Encore
> presentation.)" Hey, cool, they just reran it this week.

Thank you for your contribution to stir debate in the jungle. This is
always welcomed as the monkeys get into creative mode and come up with
clever solutions. Anyway...

The bicycle is the lesser evil of all I believe. Even walking requires
more energy and it's painfully slow sometimes. Bicycling can be
liberating, and it's much better than the solutions the politicians
are talking about --such as Bush looking for alternative vehicles.
Yeah sure... ;)

The roads are already here and we can only take a minor space on it,
say the right lane. The strategy of Critical Mass is wrong. You don't
take the whole road. You take your fair share from the lion's share.
You negotiate with the drivers and explain to them that more bikes
means fewer cars.

We can make a slow painless transition where the most realistic goals
is going to the market or exploring your community.

Even if the revolution were to get to power somewhere in the world (I
mean the frugal one), there would be room for both cars and bicycles.
Cars have a place in the world. SUVs have a place... in the Moon.

Hey, nice place for them, huh?

His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Free Spirits of the Jungle

Nov 12, 2010, 11:51:59 AM11/12/10
On Nov 12, 3:30 am, Bob Dubery <megap...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's the least evil system in the long run, therefore the best option.

Wait a minute. We got no long run. We are attacking the planet with
full force. What can more be evil than rushing to the SUV fad in times
of global Climate Crisis? How about the fact that I can't ride a bike
in peace? What can be more evil that mothers with children riding on
sidewalks. You know, my girlfriend fell two times on sidewalks and was
very lucky. Now we gave it up.

Democracy wins, so does indifference and party politics.

Hey, I don't deny it seems to work for Holland, but that's too far
away from here.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Free Spirits of the Jungle

Nov 12, 2010, 12:02:05 PM11/12/10
On Nov 12, 10:39 am, "Mike" <mikehu...@lycos.com> wrote:
> DUH! Are you really that slow, dr_jeff? How does that relate to bike
> riders paying they way for using the roads? LOL

Why don't you ban the bicycles like the Taliban do with so many
"evils"? Isn't it better than teasing and torturing the cyclists on
the road?

His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Free Spirits of the Jungle

Nov 15, 2010, 9:45:55 AM11/15/10

On Nov 13, 12:55 pm, e_space <espace1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> some people actually work for the "privilege" of living in the house
> and area of their choice, and even driving an suv ... can you
> imagine??? many of them donate time and resources to the poor as
> well ... what are they supposed to do, go live in a slum because you
> somehow feel bad about it? although i have compassion for poor people,
> many of them are that way because they do not apply themselves, and
> are not smart with their money ... should the people who are
> financially stable give up the toys that their money can procure
> because other people are not as successful? what exactly are you
> asking for?

I knew you were a Christian in the closet or a lion of some sort who
hates monkeys.

Listen, an SUV is a vehicle for the jungle, not for a civilized place.
As for the Gated Communities, they are WALLS, and they were supposed
to have come down with the Berlin Wall.

I'm not even asking you to share your privileges, but that you respect
the monkey and give him SAFETY and a place to ride a BIKE in peace
that is not the sidewalk.

By the way, fuck charity. It's loaded with corruption and intended to
gain souls.