Ants problem / Need solutions or Pest control service recommendations

rita

Jun 20, 2010, 1:04:59 PM6/20/10
Ants problem / Need solutions or Pest control service recommendations
Bay Area, CA home

We have a lot of ants in our home. We need some ant / pest control
services.

has any one used any such a service and recommend such a service?
What do such services charge?

Or any other ant control solutions ?

Your help would be highly appreciated..

Thanks,
Rita

Rod Speed

Jun 20, 2010, 2:49:31 PM6/20/10
rita wrote:
> Ants problem / Need solutions or Pest control service recommendations
> Bay Area, CA home
>
> We have a lot of ants in our home. We need some ant / pest control
> services.
>
> has any one used any such a service and recommend such a service?
> What do such services charge?

> Or any other ant control solutions ?

I had a hell of a problem with ants that loved meat.
If you accidentally left a leg of lamb on the kitchen
bench after doing a roast, they would swarm all over
it overnight. Tiny little black ants.

None of the commercial ant poisons had any effect,
you could watch them just yawn as they walked right
past the little plastic things with bait in them.

Then they just went away, not clear why.

I also had some different ants around the letterbox.
They were a complete pain in the arse because I
dont wear shoes thru the summer and the buggers
would climb on your feet and bit you.

I tried all sorts of thing, including pouring petrol down
the nest. Then I found one chemical that worked. Not
clear which one tho because I tried a few.

Noticed they came back a year or so later, so I will
try more carefully next time. Its winter here currently
so I havent bothered to do anything about them yet
in case they decide to move off to somewhere else.

Cindy Hamilton

Jun 21, 2010, 1:20:01 PM6/21/10
On Jun 20, 1:04 pm, rita <ritagoldman...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ants problem / Need solutions or Pest control service recommendations
> ***************************************************************************­*********

> Bay Area, CA home
>
> We have a lot of ants in our home. We need some ant / pest control
> services.

What kind of ants? Big black ones? Little brown ones? Red ones?

> has any one used any such a service and recommend such a service?
> What do such services charge?
>
> Or any other ant control solutions ?

It's probably too late, but when you first start seeing ants (it's
seasonal
here in Michigan), use Terro (assuming that the People's Republic
of California will let you obtain it). We can buy it in the grocery
store
here.

Cindy Hamilton

Samantha Hill

Jun 21, 2010, 1:40:10 PM6/21/10
Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Jun 20, 1:04 pm, rita <ritagoldman...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ants problem / Need solutions or Pest control service recommendations
>> ***************************************************************************­*********
>> Bay Area, CA home

If you want a nontoxic solution, black pepper or cinnamon sprinkled over
the areas they are congregating and any entry points you see into your
house sends them away quickly. Tabasco works for vertical surfaces.

Jun 21, 2010, 2:49:42 PM6/21/10

On Jun 20, 1:04 pm, rita <ritagoldman...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ants problem / Need solutions or Pest control service recommendations
> ***************************************************************************­*********
> Bay Area, CA home
>
> We have a lot of ants in our home. We need some ant / pest control
> services.

Terro liquid in little plastic tubs. Works great on all varieties of ants.

Artys

Jun 21, 2010, 5:24:59 PM6/21/10

Actually, I used to leave dishes in the sink daytime after breakfast,
while at work. I tried ant baits, but they didn't help. The ants even
began climbing into the dishwasher onto dishes before I washed them.
Eventually I began putting the dishes in a refrigerator drawer, until
time to put them in the dishwasher.

Jun 21, 2010, 7:26:23 PM6/21/10

"Artys" <laj...@GMI.net> wrote in message news:45b3d26c-4dc8-45cb-b193-

>Eventually I began putting the dishes in a refrigerator drawer, until
>time to put them in the dishwasher.

You're kidding, right?

The Real Bev

Jun 22, 2010, 1:49:59 AM6/22/10

Why should (s)he be kidding? I wash dishes by hand and put them in the oven to
dry.

Yes, we can get Terro here in the People's Republic of Kalifornia. Dirt cheap
in the little bottles -- put a few drops on a piece of cardboard and stick it
in the ants' path.

My mom had the exterminator come out every month and spray the outside of her
condo, which backed up to a hill. The new guy must have been really
incompetent because the ants got into her downstairs freezer. Really creepy.
There was a different guy the following month.

--
Cheers, Bev
Todd Flanders' hobbies include being quiet on long rides,

Jun 22, 2010, 9:40:21 AM6/22/10

"The Real Bev" <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On 06/21/10 16:26, h wrote:
>
>> "Artys"<laj...@GMI.net> wrote in message news:45b3d26c-4dc8-45cb-b193-
>>
>>>Eventually I began putting the dishes in a refrigerator drawer, until
>>>time to put them in the dishwasher.
>>
>> You're kidding, right?
>
> Why should (s)he be kidding? I wash dishes by hand and put them in the
> oven to dry.

Because he's putting DIRTY dishes in his fridge. Apparently he has time to
put them in the fridge but not time to put them in the dishwasher. That
lingering odor must be troll. No one would really do that.

And why would you put wet dishes in your oven? Weird. Is it too hard to put
them in a dish drainer on the counter or dry them with a towel?

The Real Bev

Jun 22, 2010, 11:03:14 PM6/22/10

All of the above PLUS there's no room for a dish drainer. The racks in the
oven are the only horizontal surface available.

--
Cheers, Bev
"History I believe furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people

Artys

Jun 23, 2010, 5:49:25 PM6/23/10
On Jun 22, 8:40 am, "h" <tmcl...@searchmachine.com> wrote:

> >> You're kidding, right?
>
> > Why should (s)he be kidding?  I wash dishes by hand and put them in the
> > oven to dry.
>
> Because he's putting DIRTY dishes in his fridge. Apparently he has time to
> put them in the fridge but not time to put them in the dishwasher. That
> lingering odor must be troll. No one would really do that.
>
> And why would you put wet dishes in your oven? Weird. Is it too hard to put
> them in a dish drainer on the counter or dry them with a towel?

I slightly rinse them before I put them in the refrigerator drawer.
There is no odor. I have time to put them in the dishwasher in the
morning, but as I noted, the ants were even getting into the
dishwasher before I started it at night.

Jun 26, 2010, 8:09:53 AM6/26/10

"Artys" <laj...@GMI.net> wrote in message

So you have time to rinse them and put them in the fridge, but not time to
rinse them and put them in the dishwasher? Makes no sense. You're
contaminating your fridge. Gross.

Susan Bugher

Jun 26, 2010, 12:05:19 PM6/26/10
Artys wrote:

> I slightly rinse them before I put them in the refrigerator drawer.
> There is no odor. I have time to put them in the dishwasher in the
> morning, but as I noted, the ants were even getting into the
> dishwasher before I started it at night.

If you close the dishwasher door "tight" (the same way you do before
running it) each time you add dirty dishes that should keep the ants
out. Wouldn't that be a little easier way to handle the problem.

Susan

alpine...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2013, 4:43:07 PM9/17/13
Its better to ask for a suggestion from a pest control Company.
Visit: http://www.alpinepest.ca

Shoe-Chucker 2

Sep 29, 2013, 1:23:01 PM9/29/13
In article <b2185994-7591-4e6c...@googlegroups.com>,
we usually use Terro ant poison. sometimes Diatomeous Earth.
D.E. is non toxic. works on the mechanical abrasion of the exoskeleton.
they dehydrate.
good luck. some exterminators use D.E. as backup.
--
Karma ; what a concept!

No Reply

Nov 7, 2013, 12:23:33 AM11/7/13
First, find out what kind of ants you've got: meat ants or sugar ants.

Put out a spoonful of each: sugar and parmesan cheese.

Get some borax. Mix it well with either sugar or parmesan and make a stiff paste. When the paste has dried, break the resultant lump up into granules.

Leave the granules somewhere away from food. (Borax is very slightly poisonous. You don't want to swallow a spoonful or anything).

The ants will take the granules back to their nest. Replenish the granules. The borax will eventually kill the ants and their queen. Be persistent.