How low will you go to save a buck?

James

Feb 9, 2009, 9:18:25 PM2/9/09
I'm now used to heating the house to 58F during the day and turning
the heat off at bed time. During the cold of the past month some
mornings it when lower than 50F. I might still get a huge bill
because I locked in my gas cost at the summer highs. Who knew spot
prices would be so low.

albu...@mailinator.com

Feb 9, 2009, 9:50:28 PM2/9/09

I set the stat at 70° and sometimes the temp drops to 67° on cold
days. That's it for me. I spend enough time out in the cold weather.
When I come inside, I expect to be comfortable and that means warm. If
I can't move to Arizona, this is the next best thing.
On the other hand, my brother doesn't use any normal heat beyond the
occasional use of an electric space heater and heat lamps so the pipes
won't freeze. Last Friday the inside temperature was 30°. I brought a
heating pad to sit on while we talked.

Dave Garland

Feb 10, 2009, 1:44:11 AM2/10/09
James wrote:
> I'm now used to heating the house to 58F during the day and turning
> the heat off at bed time. During the cold of the past month some
> mornings it when lower than 50F.

In Minnesota I can't exactly turn it off. At night I set it to 46F,
in the bedroom (with the heat vent closed and the door shut) it can
get down to 40 if it's -20 outside with a wind. More usually about
45. But I've got several quilts and an electric mattress pad that I
use sometimes, so it's not cold sleeping (I find a warm bed in a cold
room quite cozy, actually).

In the daytime I turn it up to 55F (and I work out of my home so I'm
here a lot). And dress for it (T-shirt + flannel shirt or hoodie +
either a quilted shirt or vest). If my hands get cold (that's the
sensitive part of me) I'll turn it up to 60 or 65, but mostly I don't
need to.

Dave

albu...@mailinator.com

Feb 10, 2009, 10:41:56 AM2/10/09

It all comes down to doing what you are comfortable with. You can be
working outside on a cold day and take the gloves off. I feel sorry
for those who are not comfortable and cant's afford more.

Dave Garland

Feb 10, 2009, 12:07:58 PM2/10/09
albu...@mailinator.com wrote:

> It all comes down to doing what you are comfortable with. You can be
> working outside on a cold day and take the gloves off. I feel sorry
> for those who are not comfortable and cant's afford more.

Oh, certainly. Though I don't feel particularly sorry for those who
expect to be comfortable with bare feet and a T-shirt. Not dressing
warmly is just stupid. (It's about 56 in my office as I type this,
and I haven't gotten around to changing out of the flip-flops yet.
But if my feet get cold, the solution will be obvious, and it won't be
to set the thermostat higher.)

Dave

Zee

Feb 12, 2009, 12:35:14 AM2/12/09

I turned the car engine off 50 meters from our house. I don't start
the engine unless I'm going to roll in the next few seconds. I shift
aat 2k rpm to save further more.

tmc...@searchmachine.com

Feb 12, 2009, 3:16:49 AM2/12/09

I keep the upstairs turned down all the way (about 45-50) at all
times. I set the downstairs to 55F during the day and turn it all the
way down at 9pm. I work at home, so I wear many layers to keep warm.
My nose and my fingers are the only parts that are always cold.

Lou

Feb 12, 2009, 8:29:54 PM2/12/09

"Zee" <zza...@gmail.com> wrote in message

On Feb 10, 10:18 am, James <j0069b...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm now used to heating the house to 58F during the day and turning
> the heat off at bed time. During the cold of the past month some
> mornings it when lower than 50F. I might still get a huge bill
> because I locked in my gas cost at the summer highs. Who knew spot
> prices would be so low.

>I turned the car engine off 50 meters from our house.

Probably not legal.

>I don't start
the engine unless I'm going to roll in the next few seconds.

Makes sense. Get yourself, stuff, and passengers in the car, buckle up, and
**then** start the engine. Lots of people start the engine first, then
buckle up.