Would you support a "stick shift only" drivers license?

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises

May 24, 2010, 5:08:12 PM5/24/10
In most parts of the world driving means "stick shift," not automatic,
which even a monkey can do. The result is that obviously we got a
bunch of monkeys driving, some of them wanting to be "king of the
road" and driving SUVs... Of course, this "automatic pilot" driving
facilitates all the other crazy stuff such as: TALKING ON THE PHONE,
NO SIGNAL LIGHTS, ZIGZAGGING, which makes driving such a game of
Russian Roulette...

So is this IDIOCRACY reversible, or we just have to live with it?

THE WISE TIBETAN MONKEY SAYS

"Make driving hard and cycling easy. A monkey on a bike is not that
dangerous"

Jim A

May 24, 2010, 5:16:45 PM5/24/10
On 05/24/2010 10:08 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana

Very few cars here in the UK aren't stick-shift. We nevertheless have
our fair share of drivers using mobile 'phones, putting their lippy on,
picking their nose etc, though.

I imagine all that will happen is you Yanks will realise that driving a
manual transmission car isn't all that difficult once you get used to it
then it will be back to business as usual.

I wonder when more cyclists start using hub gears and single-speeds,
will more of us start using mobile 'phones while cycling?

--
www.slowbicyclemovement.org - enjoy the ride

Don Klipstein

May 24, 2010, 6:19:01 PM5/24/10
In article <4bfaecbe$0$27996$db0f...@news.zen.co.uk>, Jim A wrote:

<SNIP Tibetian Monkey's material already said to edit for space>

>Very few cars here in the UK aren't stick-shift. We nevertheless have
>our fair share of drivers using mobile 'phones, putting their lippy on,
>picking their nose etc, though.
>
>I imagine all that will happen is you Yanks will realise that driving a
>manual transmission car isn't all that difficult once you get used to it
>then it will be back to business as usual.
>
>I wonder when more cyclists start using hub gears and single-speeds,
>will more of us start using mobile 'phones while cycling?

Most of Philadelphia's bicycle messengers already ride single speed
bikes, mostly fixed gear track bikes, and have been doing so for a few to
several years already.

--
- Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises

May 24, 2010, 7:51:09 PM5/24/10
On May 24, 5:15 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrj...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "dr_jeff" <u...@msu.edu> wrote in message

> > His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic
> > Enterprises wrote:
> >> In most parts of the world driving means "stick shift," not automatic,
> >> which even a monkey can do. The result is that obviously we got a
> >> bunch of monkeys driving, some of them wanting to be "king of the
> >> road" and driving SUVs... Of course, this "automatic pilot" driving
> >> facilitates all the other crazy stuff such as: TALKING ON THE PHONE,
> >> NO SIGNAL LIGHTS, ZIGZAGGING, which makes driving such a game of
> >> Russian Roulette...
>
> >> So is this IDIOCRACY reversible, or we just have to live with it?
>
> > It's reversible, but, the type of transmission in a vehicle is not an
> > issue.
>
> Not to mention the fact that making conditions even more confounding than
> they already are does not produce a better monkey.
>
> PS
> A monkey in a SUV is just as much of a monkey as if he or she was driving a
> Porsche. The SUV isn't what makes a monkey a monkey.

I beg to disagree. A monkey in a Porsche is a VIP monkey, in an SUV he
would be a gorilla.

Making passing on the left mandatory wouldn't confound the monkey
unless he can't tell right from left.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises

May 24, 2010, 7:55:38 PM5/24/10

Hey Jim, we may agree on slowing down the world, but seem to have
small technical differences... ;)

Bikes with coaster brakes (Dutch style) allow you to do a number of
things on the bike without much consequence. I have a couple of bikes
with that style. But I like the front brake as a backup for those
emergency situations.

This kind of riding is SLOW BIKING, which is very fitting with your
campaign.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises

May 24, 2010, 7:57:33 PM5/24/10
On May 24, 6:19 pm, d...@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

The main thing is the cruiser will allow this kind for leisure riding,
but won't kill anyone if you make a mistake. Talking on a SS will
entail considerable risk.

Lou

May 24, 2010, 8:23:11 PM5/24/10

Enterprises" <comandan...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> In most parts of the world driving means "stick shift," not automatic,
> which even a monkey can do. The result is that obviously we got a
> bunch of monkeys driving, some of them wanting to be "king of the
> road" and driving SUVs... Of course, this "automatic pilot" driving
> facilitates all the other crazy stuff such as: TALKING ON THE PHONE,
> NO SIGNAL LIGHTS, ZIGZAGGING, which makes driving such a game of
> Russian Roulette...
>
> So is this IDIOCRACY reversible, or we just have to live with it?

While you're at it, insist on crank starts, hand signals for turns, manual
chokes, and acetylene "headlights". Might as well get rid of variable speed
windshield wipers (maybe wipers entirely), front and rear window defrosters,
and bring back manual timing. Seat belts, air bags, and antilock brakes
probably just give people a false sense of security.

Rod Speed

May 24, 2010, 8:24:30 PM5/24/10
Jim A wrote

> His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises wrote

>> In most parts of the world driving means "stick shift," not
>> automatic, which even a monkey can do. The result is that obviously
>> we got a bunch of monkeys driving, some of them wanting to be "king
>> of the road" and driving SUVs... Of course, this "automatic pilot"
>> driving facilitates all the other crazy stuff such as: TALKING ON
>> THE PHONE, NO SIGNAL LIGHTS, ZIGZAGGING, which makes driving such a game of Russian Roulette...

>> So is this IDIOCRACY reversible, or we just have to live with it?

> Very few cars here in the UK aren't stick-shift.

Oh bullshit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_transmission#Applications_and_popularity

> We nevertheless have our fair share of drivers using mobile 'phones, putting their lippy on, picking their nose etc,
> though.

> I imagine all that will happen is you Yanks will realise that driving a manual transmission car isn't all that
> difficult once you get used to it then it will be back to business as usual.

> I wonder when more cyclists start using hub gears and single-speeds,
> will more of us start using mobile 'phones while cycling?

Completely routine to ride a bike without any hands on the handlebars at all.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises

May 24, 2010, 8:55:07 PM5/24/10
On May 24, 8:23 pm, "Lou" <lpog...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of QuixoticEnterprises" <comandante.ban...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

They do... They don't mean a thing against an SUV.

The automatic though DEMOCRATIZES the car, and makes the cyclists
become fair game for the idiots.

Why would you want the idiots to drive? Only to make money with the
sheep, right?

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises

May 24, 2010, 8:59:18 PM5/24/10
On May 24, 8:24 pm, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jim A wrote
>
> > His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises wrote
> >> In most parts of the world driving means "stick shift," not
> >> automatic, which even a monkey can do. The result is that obviously
> >> we got a bunch of monkeys driving, some of them wanting to be "king
> >> of the road" and driving SUVs... Of course, this "automatic pilot"
> >> driving facilitates all the other crazy stuff such as: TALKING ON
> >> THE PHONE, NO SIGNAL LIGHTS, ZIGZAGGING, which makes driving such a game of Russian Roulette...
> >> So is this IDIOCRACY reversible, or we just have to live with it?
> > Very few cars here in the UK aren't stick-shift.
>
> Oh bullshit.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_transmission#Applications_and_pop...

"Many types of automobiles are equipped with manual transmissions.
Small economy cars predominantly feature manual transmissions because
they are cheap and efficient, although many are optionally equipped
with automatics. Economy cars are also often powered by very small
engines, and manual transmissions make more efficient use of the power
produced.

Sports cars are also often equipped with manual transmissions because
they offer more direct driver involvement and better performance. Off-
road vehicles and trucks often feature manual transmissions because
they allow direct gear selection and are often more rugged than their
automatic counterparts."

***

In other words, smart cars take stick-shift, and stupid cars such as
the bigger cars and SUVs go on "automatic pilot."

How much easier you want to make it for the dinosaurs?

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises

May 24, 2010, 9:33:09 PM5/24/10
On May 24, 9:28 pm, "DI" <di9...@cox.net> wrote:

> You are one crazy Son of a Bitch

Well, somebody has to stop those in automatic pilot, right?

Or we will keep producing oil spills, climate change, war, fear and
carnage on our roads?

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises

May 24, 2010, 10:04:11 PM5/24/10
On May 24, 9:44 pm, dr_jeff <u...@msu.edu> wrote:
> His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic
>
> Enterprises wrote:
> > On May 24, 9:28 pm, "DI" <di9...@cox.net> wrote:
>
> >> You are one crazy Son of a Bitch
>
> > Well, somebody has to stop those in automatic pilot, right?
>
> Gee, the last time I rode the subway (Wednesday), it was on auto pilot
> to. Just get in the car, and get off at the right stop.

> > Or we will keep producing oil spills, climate change, war, fear and
> > carnage on our roads?
>
> Gee, I have heard of getting laid in the back seat, but not causing war.
> Taking the subway, biking and walking to your destination (not to
> mention working from home) are all better to avoid oil spills, climate
> change and carnage on our roads.
>
> Jeff

Oh thank you, I see that some people are not trying to destroy the
planet ASAP.

I do my contribution by launching a totally pollution free, bullet
free revolution from the comfort of a hammock.

Rod Speed

May 25, 2010, 1:14:30 AM5/25/10

>> Oh bullshit.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_transmission#Applications_and_pop...

> ***

Pity you didnt even quote the relevant bit

> As of 2008, 75.2% of vehicles made in Western Europe were equipped with
> manual transmission, versus 16.1% with automatic and 8.7% with other.[7]

24% is nothing even remotely resembling anything like very few cars.

bugbear

May 25, 2010, 5:26:56 AM5/25/10
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises wrote:
> In most parts of the world driving means "stick shift," not automatic,
> which even a monkey can do. The result is that obviously we got a
> bunch of monkeys driving, some of them wanting to be "king of the
> road" and driving SUVs... Of course, this "automatic pilot" driving
> facilitates all the other crazy stuff such as: TALKING ON THE PHONE,
> NO SIGNAL LIGHTS, ZIGZAGGING, which makes driving such a game of
> Russian Roulette...
>
> So is this IDIOCRACY reversible, or we just have to live with it?

Hmm. Perhaps a license obtained by a test in an automatic
shouldn't allow you to drive a stick shift (AKA manual).

;-)

BugBear

Jeff Thies

May 25, 2010, 8:44:35 AM5/25/10

I hope it's mostly flat!

Jeff

dgk

May 25, 2010, 9:32:40 AM5/25/10
On Mon, 24 May 2010 22:16:45 +0100, Jim A <j...@averyjim.myzen.co.uk>
wrote:

More than are already using mobile phones while cycling? I saw at
least five people biking while using phones while riding into work
this morning. I'll try to note what kind of gears they have next time.

All of my cars, until my current 91 Accord, were manual cars. Around
15 years ago I was spending a weekend with around 60 other folks at a
convention about two hours away from home. I broke an ankle on a
mountain bike, on a mountain, and of course couldn't drive my manual
shift. Only one person, and a girl at that, knew how to drive that car
home. When I needed a new used car I bought an automatic.

Derek C

May 25, 2010, 9:55:49 AM5/25/10
On May 24, 11:19 pm, d...@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:
How do they get up hills? Or don't you have any in Philadephia?

Derek C

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises

May 25, 2010, 10:29:14 AM5/25/10

OK, I'd like to hear from the CIVILIZED WORLD, places where there's no
mass production of drivers for profit.

VFW

May 25, 2010, 2:27:10 PM5/25/10
In article <4bfaecbe$0$27996$db0f...@news.zen.co.uk>,
Jim A <j...@averyjim.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> picking their nose etc, though.

If a police officers pulls up next to you at a light, picking your nose
is probably the best way to look innocent. but we know you're doing
something bad , just about all of the time.
yes, you.
--
Money! What a concept.

Geoff Pearson

May 25, 2010, 3:12:29 PM5/25/10

"bugbear" <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote in message

In the UK you can get an automatic only license - but you can't drive a car
with a gear lever and clutch. But anyone who can drive a manual car can
drive an automatic.

Cindy Hamilton

May 25, 2010, 3:19:03 PM5/25/10
On May 24, 5:08 pm, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana
wrote:

> In most parts of the world driving means "stick shift," not automatic,
> which even a monkey can do. The result is that obviously we got a
> bunch of monkeys driving, some of them wanting to be "king of the
> road" and driving SUVs... Of course, this "automatic pilot" driving
> facilitates all the other crazy stuff such as: TALKING ON THE PHONE,
> NO SIGNAL LIGHTS, ZIGZAGGING, which makes driving such a game of
> Russian Roulette...
>
> So is this IDIOCRACY reversible, or we just have to live with it?

My husband has an SUV with a stick shift. I have stick shift.
We generally don't talk on the phone and drive, but on occasion
we do.

Again you demonstrate you don't know your ass from a hole in
the ground.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises

May 25, 2010, 11:59:14 PM5/25/10
On May 25, 3:19 pm, Cindy Hamilton <angelicapagane...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

Rara avis indeed. Few SUV drivers care about driving and are more
often than not seen phone in hand and zigzagging around other cars in
a form of Russian Roulette.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises

May 25, 2010, 11:59:49 PM5/25/10
On May 25, 6:22 pm, John David Galt

> Any idiot can drive a slushbox; there's more to know with a stick-shift.
> So if you want a restricted license it should be "no stick shifts", not
> stick-shift-only.

I mean, we should retire 50% of the drivers who either can't drive
right, or just give a shit about driving. No wonder America ranks so
low in safety among civilized nations...

In Depth: 10 Dangerous Countries For Drivers

The worst performers are post-Soviet states in Eastern Europe where
the political infrastructure is disorganized and weak. In Russia, the
most dangerous country for drivers on our list (with 939 deaths per
million cars), the government does a lousy job enforcing speed limits
and laws against drunk driving across its expansive terrain.

One of the list's surprises: the U.S., which ranks eighth most
dangerous, with 163 deaths per million cars in 2007.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/05/19/dangerous-countries-roads-lifestyle-travel-dangerous-roads.html

bugbear

May 26, 2010, 5:09:00 AM5/26/10

Er. Yes. That was rather my point.