Aspirin May be an Inexpensive Tonic for the Liver

1 view

Dave

Jan 28, 2009, 7:14:51 PM1/28/09
Here's a report that may be of interest to any frugal living person on
this newsgroup. It seems that good old fashioned aspirin has other,
newly researched benefits:

A new study claims that a daily dose of a common product could prevent
liver damage. This may mean that millions of people who abuse alcohol
and/or who are obese could reduce their chances of harming the body's
biggest internal organ. Surprisingly, this may be possible with the
lowly painkiller, aspirin.

Scientists writing in the "Journal of Clinical Investigation" said
that tests on mice showed aspirin reduced death caused by an overdose
of acetaminophen, best known in the USA as the over-the-counter
product Tylenol. In addition, aspirin may help prevent and treat liver
damage from a host of other non-infectious causes, said Dr. Wajahat
Mehal, MD, PhD, from Yale School of Medicine (New Haven, CT).

"Many agents such as drugs and alcohol cause liver damage, and we have
found two ways to block a central pathway responsible for such liver
injury. Our strategy is to use aspirin on a daily basis to prevent
liver injury," Dr. Mehal reports.

As an added bonus to this new research, certain promising drugs that
have failed clinical trials because of liver toxicity could
potentially be resurrected if they are later combined with aspirin.
Dr. Mehal and his colleagues believe this aspirin research may
eventually reduce a lot of pain and suffering in patients with liver
diseases, using a very practical approach.

Previous work has shown that women who take aspirin once a day may
slightly reduce their risk of the most common type of breast cancer;
of course, it is well known that a daily aspirin is recommended to
prevent heart attacks in people at high risk of having one. Nine
recent studies have shown how aspirin can help treat heart attacks.
Doses between 75 milligrams and 325 milligrams help thin the blood,
scientists have found. (Aspirin isn't without complications -- blood
thinning can be a problem for someone going into surgery. As always,
discuss an aspirin regimen with a doctor before implementing.)

Dave

Full text article above extracted from http://shamvswham.blogspot.com/

Marsha

Jan 28, 2009, 7:38:13 PM1/28/09

Once you start taking it, though, it's not a good idea to abruptly stop
taking it, at least without medical supervision.

Marsha

josej...@ssnet.net

Jan 28, 2009, 11:00:40 PM1/28/09
On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 19:38:13 -0500, in misc.consumers.frugal-living Marsha
<m...@xeb.net> wrote:

> Dr. Wajahat
>> Mehal, MD, PhD, from Yale School of Medicine (New Haven, CT).

What asprin manufacturer was he paid by?

Dave

Jan 28, 2009, 11:29:27 PM1/28/09

Oooow , . . Thats pretty hard core paranoid, eh? However, Bayer is
located in CT also! Actually, aspirin research is ongoing all over the
world, and it would be tough for one company to "pay off" research on
such a large front!

Dave

meow...@care2.com

Jan 29, 2009, 6:18:53 PM1/29/09

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/22237

OTOH that sort of research is usually limited to patented drugs.
But then again, if it allows release of some things too toxic now, the
aspirin research would be a remarkably high return investment for any
pharm co.

NT

wes...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2009, 7:14:59 PM1/29/09
On Jan 29, 6:18 pm, meow2...@care2.com wrote:
> OTOH that sort of research is usually limited to patented drugs.
> But then again, if it allows release of some things too toxic now, the
> aspirin research would be a remarkably high return investment for any
> pharm co.

If one is taking aspirin, then one is not taking Tylenol. Problem
was known even in the early 1970s. Acetaminophen causes liver damage
if taken with drinking alcohol. Is aspirin protecting the liver, or
just causing the user to not damage his liver by taking
Acetaminophen? Without first viewing the numbers, speculation would
easily promote aspirin as a solution rather than address Acetaminophen
as the problem. Well call that propaganda or spin.

Dave

Jan 29, 2009, 7:45:10 PM1/29/09

Reading the science, it appears that one daily, tiny aspirin (St.
Joseph's baby aspirin, as one example) can protect the liver from the
large doses of acetaminophen that people tend to pop without even
thinking about it.

Dave

Bob F

Jan 30, 2009, 5:50:03 PM1/30/09

Do you really expect complainers to read the science? Get real!

wes...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2009, 12:50:17 AM1/31/09
On Jan 30, 5:50 pm, "Bob F" <bobnos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you really expect complainers to read the science?

Death always cures such complainers. Simple science.