Toyota Yaris?

zxcvbob

Oct 27, 2009, 4:07:07 PM10/27/09
Wife thinks she wants a Smart car when we replace her mid-90's
high-mileage Cadillac soon. But she's not sure. The nearest Smart
dealer is 100 miles away, and that doesn't seem like a good idea --
more from a maintenance standpoint than purchase.

The Toyota Yaris seems to be very similar, and there are lots more
Toyota dealers around.

Anybody here actually own either a Yaris or a Smart? How much room
does it have for two big people (I'm 6'7" tall, she's not tall but
large. It doesn't need to have any back seat legroom at all.) How
comfortable is it for occasional long trips? I know neither one is
gonna compare favorably to a Cadillac... They both have such short
wheelbases they ought to be great for driving and parking in the city.

We're fixing to take a 3000 mile cross-country trip in a few weeks,
and rent a car for it to test the theory that maybe we don't need a
highway car at all. Just rent a big car (or take my truck) when we
need one.

(I was holding-out for a TDI diesel, but Wife and the EPA are
conspiring against me and I'm not gonna win this one)

Bob

James

Oct 27, 2009, 4:48:13 PM10/27/09
I've not driven a Smart, but being in the industry, I've read many
reviews and heard some stories. I have relatives who own Yaris, and
I've rented one.

The Smart has seats for 2, the Yaris 4. The Yaris rear seats are ok
for short trips for adults, but not long ones. But using the seat
space for lugagge is a big plus on the Yaris side. If you get the
Yaris hatch, you have even more versatility. The Smart has a shelf
behind the seats, but its not big - one set of golf clubs sized. More
than that and you won't see out the rear window.

The Smart has more cabin room than it looks,but the seats in the Yaris
can be moved back - something you can't do in the Smart.

The Smart's transmission, well, is usually where the critics usually
land on as a weakness. Its kinda balky.

The Smart has small wheels and two tire sizes. Thats a pain.

The Smart parts would be accessable from Smart stores and probably
Mercedes dealers (they make Smarts), but there aren't as many as
Toyota dealers.

They are priced roughly the same, probably better incentives and
selection for the Yaris.

I've read reviews of drivers taking Smart across the country and its
doable, but the Yaris is a much better highway car - passing power
etc. If you can drive a stick, you can make the most out of the Yaris
engine..

So for me the choice would be clear.

James

zxcvbob

Oct 27, 2009, 5:36:19 PM10/27/09

We both can drive a stick (cuz we are so old) so that's not a problem.
:-) I never could figure out why Smart used 2 different size tires.
Wonder what would happen if you put the larger size all-around first
time you had to change them? It might mess up the airflow. Or the
computer might not like it if they have rotation speed sensors on all
four wheels.

Daughter just got a Pontiac G5. That thing gets 39 mpg on the
highway; maybe up to 40 now that it's broken in! But Wife doesn't
like riding in it because it's not comfortable enough (i'm not sure if
she's ever driven it) -- so I really doubt a Smart or a Yaris is gonna
measure up to her expectations. OTOH, maybe she really does just want
a little commuter car, and highway comfort doesnt matter...

Thanks,
Bob

George

Oct 27, 2009, 11:42:15 PM10/27/09

Two friends have Smart cars. Similar situation here since the nearest
dealer is also 100 miles away. They are definitely roomier than they
appear and also have plenty of power for highway use.

It is great for driving around town since you can always find a parking
spot. But it does well on the highway. I drove one on a number of trips
with the longest about 180 miles.

James

Oct 28, 2009, 1:31:30 PM10/28/09
> Bob- Hide quoted text -

If you are thinking about the Yaris, you might also consider the Honda
Fit. It is a little zippier around town and on the highway. Pricing
should be similar.

Your height might be the biggest challenge, at 6'7", you might find it
challenging to drive any of them.

James