Straight Talk Prepaid: Unsolicited texts from TWC

m...@privacy.net

Aug 16, 2010, 12:29:41 PM8/16/10
Anyone else using Straight Talk as a cell service?

Are you getting daily UNSOLICITED texts for the weather
from TWC?

Message has been deleted

The Real Bev

Aug 16, 2010, 3:44:50 PM8/16/10
On 08/16/10 10:46, Derald wrote:

> m...@privacy.net wrote:
>
>>Anyone else using Straight Talk as a cell service?

> I'm not. Why?

>>Are you getting daily UNSOLICITED texts for the weather
>>from TWC?

> Nope; I have text messaging disabled. Only disadvantage I've found
> is that DW no longer is able to email honey-do and shopping list
> modifications! LOL She's far less likely to place a voice call for
> trivial stuff.
> Why are you asking?

I got a couple of spam text messages on my T-Mobile prepaid phone. I
called T-Mobile customer service, who promised to disable 'commercial
text messages' on my number. Did they actually think that prepaid
customers would be willing to pay for this shit?

When I first opened a hotmail account I never used it for anything.
Nonetheless, it started accumulating spam from day one. I can only
conclude that the hotmail shitheads sell the addresses to spammers.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Not everyone can be above average so why

Message has been deleted

m...@privacy.net

Aug 16, 2010, 6:08:40 PM8/16/10
Derald <der...@invalid.net> wrote:

>Why are you asking?

Cause I am getting two text messages a day with weather
reports from what "looks" like TWC or The Weather
Channel!!!

But I NEVER solicited for these texts what so ever!

And..... it looks impossible to stop them cause the
number and address they come from are very strange
looking indeed!

Any advice?

I've contacted ST but all I get are CANNED email
messages with no real info in them

The Real Bev

Aug 16, 2010, 11:41:17 PM8/16/10
On 08/16/10 15:08, m...@privacy.net wrote:

> Derald<der...@invalid.net> wrote:
>
>>Why are you asking?
>
> Cause I am getting two text messages a day with weather
> reports from what "looks" like TWC or The Weather
> Channel!!!
>
> But I NEVER solicited for these texts what so ever!
>
> And..... it looks impossible to stop them cause the
> number and address they come from are very strange
> looking indeed!
>
> Any advice?

Can you contact TWC through a 'Contact Us' link, or is that missing too?

> I've contacted ST but all I get are CANNED email
> messages with no real info in them

They don't have a phone number where you can actually talk to a real
human? Cancel the bastards on the spot!

The canned email 'help' messages I get from various entities are NEVER
applicable to my problem. Mention that T-Mobile (phone+$100+$10/year
thereafter) was happy to cancel spam and that ST isn't the only crap
game in town.

--
Cheers, Bev
STRESS MANAGEMENT

Picture yourself near a stream.
Birds are singing in the crisp, cool mountain air.
Nothing can bother you here.
No one knows this secret place.
You are in total seclusion from
that place called the world.
The soothing sound of a gentle waterfall
fills the air with a cascade of serenity.
The water is crystal clear.
You can easily make out the face of the person
whose head you're holding under the water.
-- KevinT

George

Aug 17, 2010, 7:37:41 AM8/17/10
On 8/16/2010 11:41 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 08/16/10 15:08, m...@privacy.net wrote:
>
>> Derald<der...@invalid.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Why are you asking?
>>
>> Cause I am getting two text messages a day with weather
>> reports from what "looks" like TWC or The Weather
>> Channel!!!
>>
>> But I NEVER solicited for these texts what so ever!
>>
>> And..... it looks impossible to stop them cause the
>> number and address they come from are very strange
>> looking indeed!
>>
>> Any advice?
>
> Can you contact TWC through a 'Contact Us' link, or is that missing too?
>
>> I've contacted ST but all I get are CANNED email
>> messages with no real info in them
>
> They don't have a phone number where you can actually talk to a real
> human? Cancel the bastards on the spot!

Thats the tradeoff of going with a company like that. They don't have
their own cell system and are a reseller of service they buy in bulk and
work on pennies.

SMS

Aug 17, 2010, 9:48:59 AM8/17/10
On 16/08/10 8:41 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

<snip>

> The canned email 'help' messages I get from various entities are NEVER
> applicable to my problem. Mention that T-Mobile (phone+$100+$10/year
> thereafter) was happy to cancel spam and that ST isn't the only crap
> game in town.

Straight Talk has become extremely popular, and is responsible for more
than half of new MVNO sign-ups for Verizon's network. The reason is
their relatively low cost unlimited plans that include unlimited data on
the handset (and tethering if you know how to get around their
restrictions against tethering). The drawbacks to StraightTalk are a)
the very limited handset selection, and b) the total lack of off-Verizon
network roaming.

The T-Mobile $10/year after $100 is a very good deal for those that use
the phone very little and that can live with the T-Mobile and the
permitted GSM roaming coverage, but it's not a good plan for those that
use a lot of minutes because the per-minute rate is high. PagePlus is
the best prepaid option for big talkers as well as those that want the
best coverage, but they don't offer any unlimited data plans like
StraightTalk.

Message has been deleted

SMS

Aug 17, 2010, 11:56:41 AM8/17/10
On 17/08/10 9:42 AM, Derald wrote:

> m...@privacy.net wrote:
>
>> Cause I am getting two text messages a day with weather
>> reports from what "looks" like TWC or The Weather
>> Channel!!!
>>
>> snip<
>>
>> Any advice?
>>
> Well, they'd argue that the paid ads subsidize your "low" /min.
> rate, but that's a different issue, I suppose.
> If they refuse to kill the adverts, then I second what "the real
> Bev" posts elsewhere in this thread.
> See: Message-ID:<i4d0cl$3ae$1...@news.eternal-september.org>
> Personally, I've used PagePlus since the death of TDMA took with it
> another low-ball but reliable prepaid service. However, I make voice
> calls only and rarely and coverage is the primary criterion. I'm far
> ahead on my money/minutes in the bank but must donate (at least) $10
> every 120 days; also, Pageplus leeches a 50в/mo. "because we can" fee.

Well compared to the garbage fees that the other carriers tack on, the
50в is a bargain. True, many of the other prepaid carriers have no such
fee, but their rates are also much higher.

Message has been deleted

m...@privacy.net

Aug 17, 2010, 2:07:56 PM8/17/10
The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>They don't have a phone number where you can actually talk to a real
>human? Cancel the bastards on the spot!

Agree

Thinking of using my months of calls up and just shit
canning the whole thing

m...@privacy.net

Aug 17, 2010, 2:11:00 PM8/17/10
SMS <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

>restrictions against tethering). The drawbacks to StraightTalk are a)
>the very limited handset selection, and b) the total lack of off-Verizon
>network roaming.

Agree. Their handset selection sucks. In fact I am now
having problems with the cheap handset I bought (LG
100c). It has "buzz" or some kind of distortion when
people are taking to me!!!

>The T-Mobile $10/year after $100 is a very good deal for those that use
>the phone very little and that can live with the T-Mobile and the
>permitted GSM roaming coverage, but it's not a good plan for those that
>use a lot of minutes because the per-minute rate is high. PagePlus is
>the best prepaid option for big talkers as well as those that want the
>best coverage, but they don't offer any unlimited data plans like
>StraightTalk.

I have a T Mobile prepaid account as well.

I DID have Page Plus for awhile but they do NOT sell a
candy bar style handset (which I like best)...so dumped
them too.

I may have to stick with GSM phones and look for a 3rd
party GSM mvno.

m...@privacy.net

Aug 17, 2010, 2:12:29 PM8/17/10
Derald <der...@invalid.net> wrote:

>Personally, I've used PagePlus since the death of TDMA

I would go back to Page Plus if I could find a good
candy bar style handset to use with them!!

SMS

Aug 17, 2010, 9:30:57 PM8/17/10

It doesn't matter what PagePlus sells, you can find any old Verizon
candy bar style handset and activate it.

> I may have to stick with GSM phones and look for a 3rd
> party GSM mvno.

The choices are all poor for GSM MVNOs on AT&T. You could check out Red
Pocket ("http://www.redpocketmobile.com/").

The Real Bev

Aug 18, 2010, 6:34:44 PM8/18/10

As an aside, you know about Google Voice, right? Free LD calls
(including local LD, which ALWAYS costs more than far-away LD) from your
regular phone. Up yours, AT&T! A definite plus is the email you get
with speech-to-text translations of your voicemail. Not yet ready for
prime time, but good enough for most purposes.

--
Cheers, Bev
Lawyering: the only profession that if you

m...@privacy.net

Aug 18, 2010, 9:30:41 PM8/18/10
The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>As an aside, you know about Google Voice, right?

yes I am already using it

I buy cheap prepaid phones and "hang" them off my voice
number. This allows me to try various services