Composter

art...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2009, 10:21:42 PM1/25/09
Do you have a favorite?

Coffee's For Closers

Jan 27, 2009, 11:11:30 PM1/27/09
In article <0fd19f17-54c9-4953-82f6-
01cd90...@r15g2000prh.googlegroups.com>, art...@gmail.com
says...

> Do you have a favorite?

It isn't rocket science, and there isn't any kind of magical
device so much better than anything else.

I just use very basic plastic compost bins. Open to the ground
on the bottom, and with a lid on the top. About a metre tall, I
guess. Slots all around, for air circulation.

They are the kind that have a sliding door, at the bottom, to
theoretically dig out the oldest compost. But I find that that
is too awkward. So I just let it all age, and dig out from the
top.

An important point is to have two bins. Fill one, and leave it
to age, while then filling the other. When the second bin is
also full, the first bin will be finished and ready to use.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/

Tomes

Jan 28, 2009, 9:05:29 PM1/28/09
"Coffee's For Closers" ...
> art...@gmail.com ....

>> Do you have a favorite?
>
> It isn't rocket science, and there isn't any kind of magical
> device so much better than anything else.
>
> I just use very basic plastic compost bins. Open to the ground
> on the bottom, and with a lid on the top. About a metre tall, I
> guess. Slots all around, for air circulation.
>
> They are the kind that have a sliding door, at the bottom, to
> theoretically dig out the oldest compost. But I find that that
> is too awkward. So I just let it all age, and dig out from the
> top.
>
> An important point is to have two bins. Fill one, and leave it
> to age, while then filling the other. When the second bin is
> also full, the first bin will be finished and ready to use.

I have the same type of bin, a dark green plastic thing that is just vented
walls with a removable panel on top to throw the stuff in. It has that
panel on the bottom to dig out the old stuff. I do dig out the old stuff
from the bottom and it works great. Mine is about 3x3x3 feet.

I only have one bin. By the time the stuff gets to the bottom it has been
there for years and it ready to be used. I have a shale bar that I use to
poke into it to loosen it up and then a flat shovel to scoop it out. Then I
pound it down some from the top, which does mix it a little I suppose.

None of the fancy mixing and timing and thought processes are necessary.
Just dump the stuff in [a lot of stuff with a family of 4 that runs an
organic veg/fruit coop pod], no problem.
Tomes

B...@nomail.com

Feb 18, 2009, 11:24:57 PM2/18/09
On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 19:21:42 -0800 (PST), art...@gmail.com wrote:

>Do you have a favorite?

Just find a corner in back yard and pile it up and turn over with
pitchfork every week or so. I've been doing it for years and always
have lots of worms for fishing and everything will break down. The
best mix is 1/3 green mix such as kitchen waste and grass clippings
and 2/3 brown such as leaves, paper and such. I add in shredded
newspaper, paper towels, and anything else that will decompose.