I can't believe I just found this group again after a decade or two!

Cbrown24

Nov 7, 2018, 12:13:53 PM11/7/18
I still have the essay that someone wrote called "It Takes Time To Be Frugal". I printed it out and refer to it occasionally when I come across it.

I retired at 58, a little over 2 years ago due to chronic pain and frankly burn out. It is more important than ever that we live as frugally as possible with interim times of spending on things (our latest was a cruise to Alaska for our 40th wedding anniversary and my husband's 60th birthday). I don't remember the name I used or very many user names, though Mintee was familiar, in fact I wonder if it was her who wrote the essay.

So looking forward to participating as much as I can find the time. It's really true that once you are retired you are busier than ever!

Cbrown
Married 40 years, 3 daughters 39, 37 and 30, 3 son-in-laws and 3 granddaughters, 10, 5 and 4!

Beaver...@live.com

Nov 7, 2018, 12:39:39 PM11/7/18
I wish more people would find this group.

Time to make frugal living great again!

Dennis

Nov 7, 2018, 4:04:57 PM11/7/18
Don't want to rain on the parade, but not many of the old regulars
frequent this group any more - this month has had the most traffic
I've seen for quite a while. I guess too many other new social media
platforms are available (and they support cat videos).

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm behind the eight ball, ahead of the curve, riding the wave,
dodging the bullet and pushing the envelope. -George Carlin

root

Nov 7, 2018, 4:37:43 PM11/7/18
Dennis <dg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Don't want to rain on the parade, but not many of the old regulars
> frequent this group any more - this month has had the most traffic
> I've seen for quite a while. I guess too many other new social media
> platforms are available (and they support cat videos).
>
> Dennis (evil)

There are lurkers.

The Real Bev

Nov 7, 2018, 4:57:31 PM11/7/18
On 11/07/2018 01:04 PM, Dennis wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 09:13:50 -0800 (PST), Cbrown24
> <r.c....@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> I still have the essay that someone wrote called "It Takes Time To
>> Be Frugal". I printed it out and refer to it occasionally when I
>> come across it.
>>
>> I retired at 58, a little over 2 years ago due to chronic pain and
>> frankly burn out. It is more important than ever that we live as
>> frugally as possible with interim times of spending on things (our
>> latest was a cruise to Alaska for our 40th wedding anniversary and
>> my husband's 60th birthday). I don't remember the name I used or
>> very many user names, though Mintee was familiar, in fact I wonder
>> if it was her who wrote the essay.

Can you list any of your old usernames? The current one is unfamiliar.

>> So looking forward to participating as much as I can find the time.
>> It's really true that once you are retired you are busier than
>> ever!
>>
>> Cbrown Married 40 years, 3 daughters 39, 37 and 30, 3 son-in-laws
>> and 3 granddaughters, 10, 5 and 4!
>
> Don't want to rain on the parade, but not many of the old regulars
> frequent this group any more - this month has had the most traffic
> I've seen for quite a while. I guess too many other new social media
> platforms are available (and they support cat videos).

Dog videos are better.

Today's claim to fame: One of my posts was deleted from the <local>
Politics facebook page because I said something sarcastic about
California needing fewer workers and more illiterate people without job
skills to go on welfare. I have to wonder which part of that was
considered offensive...

--
Cheers, Bev
"Life is actually fair. It just doesn't seem to be common

Michael Black

Nov 7, 2018, 8:02:10 PM11/7/18
On Wed, 7 Nov 2018, Dennis wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 09:13:50 -0800 (PST), Cbrown24
> <r.c....@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> I still have the essay that someone wrote called "It Takes Time To Be Frugal". I printed it out and refer to it occasionally when I come across it.
>>
>> I retired at 58, a little over 2 years ago due to chronic pain and frankly burn out. It is more important than ever that we live as frugally as possible with interim times of spending on things (our latest was a cruise to Alaska for our 40th wedding anniversary and my husband's 60th birthday). I don't remember the name I used or very many user names, though Mintee was familiar, in fact I wonder if it was her who wrote the essay.
>>
>> So looking forward to participating as much as I can find the time. It's really true that once you are retired you are busier than ever!
>>
>> Cbrown
>> Married 40 years, 3 daughters 39, 37 and 30, 3 son-in-laws and 3 granddaughters, 10, 5 and 4!
>
> Don't want to rain on the parade, but not many of the old regulars
> frequent this group any more - this month has had the most traffic
> I've seen for quite a while. I guess too many other new social media
> platforms are available (and they support cat videos).

But it's not like someone will return and find a completely different set
of people here. Those who remain pretty much are the oldtimers. The
newsgroups that still are doing well that I read, there has been some
shift over the years, though not completely.

Michael

The Real Bev

Nov 8, 2018, 3:49:07 PM11/8/18
I liked reading alt.sysadmin.recovery, although I could never get TB to
do what was necessary in order to post. A lot of clever people. Nobody
there now either.

We've lost more than non-usenet-users can possibly realize.

--
Cheers, Bev
Vampireware; n, a project capable of sucking the lifeblood

Bob F

Nov 9, 2018, 1:21:50 AM11/9/18
At least this group hasn't gone the way of the home repair group. Lots
of traffic, and almost none on topic.

Beaver...@live.com

Nov 11, 2018, 3:28:25 PM11/11/18

Beaver Fever

May 23, 2021, 11:09:32 PM5/23/21
On Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 9:13:53 AM UTC-8, Cbrown24 wrote:
I went to Alaska a few weeks ago.