Cheap doesn't mean frugal.

James

Jan 12, 2009, 1:37:55 PM1/12/09
I bought 4 chickens because they were on sale for 69 cents a pound.
Now I like dark meat better and can get leg quarters for the same
price. So I got the better deal but will probably enjoy it less.

Omelet

Jan 12, 2009, 1:45:46 PM1/12/09
In article
<ce89f2c7-3056-467b...@i24g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
James <j006...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Just make chicken salad out of the breast meat!

Works for me.....
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once." -- Anonymous

Message has been deleted

cybercat

Jan 12, 2009, 2:58:55 PM1/12/09

"aem" <aem_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> At least with whole chickens you can bone them properly. These "leg
> quarters" they sell always have the hip bone and bits of the back
> attached, which are just scrap for the stockpot. One thing you can do
> is bone out the breasts and save them for chicken stirfrys. Toss the
> breast bones/ribcage into the stockpot. -aem

I scored two very fresh looking chickens yesterday for 59 cents a pound. The
limit was two. We like a mix of white and dark meat in most dishes.

Nancy2

Jan 12, 2009, 4:54:03 PM1/12/09

Actually, frugal doesn't mean cheap. Frugal means using everything,
not just the best bits. Or sort of.

The Frugal Gourmet didn't buy cheap ingredients - but he promoted the
idea of using all the bits of whatever he bought.

N.

Evelyn Leeper

Jan 12, 2009, 6:11:05 PM1/12/09

Make soup. Or serve them when you have company who like white meat.

One question regarding "the same price": do you get the same percentage
of meat from leg quarters as from whole chickens?

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
Be braver. You cannot cross a chasm in two small jumps.

James

Jan 12, 2009, 9:51:02 PM1/12/09
On Jan 12, 6:11 pm, Evelyn Leeper <elee...@optonline.net> wrote:
> James wrote:
> > I bought 4 chickens because they were on sale for 69 cents a pound.
> > Now I like dark meat better and can get leg quarters for the same
> > price.  So I got the better deal but will probably enjoy it less.
>
> Make soup.  Or serve them when you have company who like white meat.
>
> One question regarding "the same price": do you get the same percentage
> of meat from leg quarters as from whole chickens?

Leg quarters for 69 cents a pound.

Evelyn Leeper

Jan 12, 2009, 10:53:03 PM1/12/09

No, my question i, if you remove all the bones and waste from four
pounds of whole chicken, do you get the same amount of meat as from four
pounds of leg quarters?

cybercat

Jan 12, 2009, 11:11:42 PM1/12/09

"Evelyn Leeper" <ele...@optonline.net> wrote in message
I would say you get more. Breasts have a much higher meat to bone and skin
ratio than leg quarters.

Kathleen

Jan 12, 2009, 11:17:53 PM1/12/09
Evelyn Leeper wrote:

I'd say you probably get more meat off a whole chicken than from an
equivalent weight of leg quarters. Commercially raised chickens have
been bred for enormous, non functional breasts, much like those of the
current Hollywood actresses. If you can make use of it, dandy. But if
what really floats your boat is dark meat, the additional few cents per
pound to get what you really like is money well spent.

Message has been deleted

Kate Connally

Jan 13, 2009, 1:30:18 PM1/13/09

Okay, so why didn't you buy the leg quarters if they're the
same price and you like them better? I'm confused. Anyway,
I'm the same way I much prefer the dark meat. I hardly ever
buy chicken but when I do I go to Walmart and get a 10-lb.
bag (I think it's 10 lb.?) of leg quarters. The last time I
got them it was ~$4 change. It might be a little more now as
it's been a while.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Kate Connally

Jan 13, 2009, 1:32:12 PM1/13/09
aem wrote:
> On Jan 12, 10:37 am, James <j0069b...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> At least with whole chickens you can bone them properly. These "leg
> quarters" they sell always have the hip bone and bits of the back
> attached, which are just scrap for the stockpot.

Well, it's still less scrap for the stockpot than with a whole
chicken. And then you don't have to figure out what to do with
the damned breasts. ;-)

Kate Connally

Jan 13, 2009, 1:33:53 PM1/13/09

I would say definitely not. But someone should try it and
see what happens. ;-)

cybercat

Jan 13, 2009, 2:01:01 PM1/13/09

"Kate Connally" <conn...@pitt.edu> wrote

> Well, it's still less scrap for the stockpot than with a whole
> chicken. And then you don't have to figure out what to do with
> the damned breasts. ;-)

We have that Jack Sprat thing going on around here, only with light and dark
meat.

blake murphy

Jan 14, 2009, 1:00:27 PM1/14/09

a match made in heaven, or at least close by.

your pal,
blake

cybercat

Jan 14, 2009, 3:56:07 PM1/14/09

"blake murphy" <blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Not quite, sugar britches. My heart belongs to you alone. Only my white meat
goes to my husband.

James

Jan 14, 2009, 3:56:47 PM1/14/09

Don't have the equipment to measure. Only 2 bones on a leg quarter
but with the whole chick you got the back and neck bones as well as
the ribs.

Since roasters are more expensive per pound does that mean % of meat
is higher than a fryer?

leno...@yahoo.com

Jan 14, 2009, 6:46:53 PM1/14/09
Here's a chart I posted a few years ago:

I was trying to weed out some out-of-date books I never use and as I
flipped through the 1982 "Information Age Sourcebook" (no mention of
computers in THAT book) I found this chart, which might be quite
useful!

"Based on yields of cooked chicken.....the uncooked chicken weighed
2.75 lbs."

If a whole fryer costs 49 cents/lb:

Breast half without rib should cost 67

" " WITH rib should cost 65

Thighs should cost 55

Thighs & drumsticks should cost 53

Drumsticks should cost 50

Wings should cost 39.

If the fryer costs 51 cents/lb, prices are 70, 67, 57, 55, 53, 41.

Fryer at 53 cents: 72, 70, 59, 57, 55, 43.

Fryer at 55 cents: 75, 73, 61, 59, 57, 44.

" " 57 " : 78, 75, 63, 61, 59, 46.

" " 59 " : 80, 78, 66, 63, 61, 48.

" " 61 " : 83, 81, 68, 66, 63, 49.

" " 63 " : 86, 83, 70, 68, 65, 51.

That's not the entire chart, but I hope it will do. Note that the
ratios change a bit as you move down the chart.

(end)

Here are some responses to that:

http://groups.google.com/group/misc.consumers.frugal-living/browse_thread/thread/fe06ce5e86022833/b4b2083b4d77f0cf?lnk=gst&q=lenona+chicken+chart#b4b2083b4d77f0cf

Lenona.

blake murphy

Jan 15, 2009, 11:16:47 AM1/15/09

he's entitled. i'll take what's left over.

your pal,
blake

Zeke Krahlin

Feb 9, 2009, 8:36:15 PM2/9/09