Eggplant going bad?

noel888

Oct 17, 2009, 8:17:28 AM10/17/09
My wife had setup salting sliced eggplants for today's meal. She had
put them in a colander with salt to get rid of the bitterness. The
problem? She left them out on the kitchen counter overnight. I said to
her that it has to be thrown out and she said that the salt has
preserved them...now we are debating. Any suggestions?

Dave

Oct 17, 2009, 10:10:59 AM10/17/09

"noel888" <harri...@aol.com> wrote in message

If in doubt, throw it out.

It's *probably* OK, even without the salt.

But...if in doubt, throw it out. -Dave

Gary Heston

Oct 17, 2009, 10:46:46 AM10/17/09
In article <dbb1e50e-dcbd-4a9b...@g19g2000yqo.googlegroups.com>,

Raw eggplant isn't going to spoil overnight, it may discolor a bit. The
salt probably won't make a significant difference, unless she really
piled it on.

I'd have no reservations about eating it.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
"Where large, expensive pieces of exotic woods are converted to valueless,

Rod Speed

Oct 17, 2009, 1:21:23 PM10/17/09

They wont go bad overnight. Its only meat that could be a problem.

Rod Speed

Oct 17, 2009, 1:23:50 PM10/17/09

Thats mindlessly superficial with veg.

You dont throw out say tomatoes if you are doubt about
whether they are fine out of the fridge overnight because you
are in doubt about how safe they are. Of course they are safe.

They're SAFE even if they are too mushy to interest anyone in eating them.

The Real Bev

Oct 17, 2009, 6:12:09 PM10/17/09
Rod Speed wrote:

Let your nose be your guide. I don't eat anything that smells bad or has grown
fur. Raw vegetables and fruits just don't turn poisonous overnight, if at all.
You might find maggots or mold spots or other nastiness, in which case you
know what to do. If it looks and smells OK it IS OK.

OTOH, if you die from eating a poisoned apple, just remember that I AM NOT A
DOCTOR, I DON'T EVEN PLAY ONE ON TV, YMMV, DO NOT TAUNT HAPPY FUN BALL.

--
Cheers, Bev
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

sr

Oct 18, 2009, 1:18:30 AM10/18/09
Salt is a preservative
Remember how hams are salted down, etc

The Real Bev

Oct 18, 2009, 1:40:25 AM10/18/09
sr wrote:

> Salt is a preservative
> Remember how hams are salted down, etc

Salting eggplant is supposed to remove the water from it. There isn't enough
salt in the world to make eggplant not-nasty-feeling.

> "noel888" <harri...@aol.com <mailto:harri...@aol.com>> wrote:
> > My wife had setup salting sliced eggplants for today's meal. She had
> > put them in a colander with salt to get rid of the bitterness. The
> > problem? She left them out on the kitchen counter overnight. I said to
> > her that it has to be thrown out and she said that the salt has
> > preserved them...now we are debating. Any suggestions?

--
Cheers, Bev
Election 2008:
There's never been a better time to vote libertarian.

Rod Speed

Oct 18, 2009, 2:30:29 AM10/18/09

sr <sol...@uninets.net> wrote

> Salt is a preservative

Not with vegetables it isnt.

> Remember how hams are salted down, etc

Thats meat, not a vegetable.

> noel888 <harri...@aol.com> wrote

sr

Oct 18, 2009, 3:03:46 AM10/18/09
How is brime for pickles made? Involves salt, pickles are preserved, aren't
they?
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Rod Speed

Oct 18, 2009, 4:38:28 AM10/18/09
sr wrote:

> How is brime for pickles made?

Brine is nothing like what she did with the eggplants.

> Involves salt, pickles are preserved, aren't they?

Not by the brine alone.

> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

sr

Oct 18, 2009, 11:16:09 AM10/18/09
Let me clarify, I said salt is a perservative, along that line of thinking.
Why is it a perservative? We know a salt solution is use when we have a
sore throat, also a saline solution (salt and sterile water) is use for
nasal sprays, a weaker solution for eye washes, etc. so it follows, salt
kills bacteria, therefore the eggplant would be okay to eay, as it was
salted. I thought just stating it is a perservative would be statement
enough, I was wrong, again.>

Gary Heston

Oct 18, 2009, 1:05:15 PM10/18/09
In article <ec3f0$4adb3144$ccb58439$12...@ispn.net>,

sr <sol...@uninets.net> wrote:
>Let me clarify, I said salt is a perservative, along that line of thinking.
>Why is it a perservative? We know a salt solution is use when we have a
>sore throat, also a saline solution (salt and sterile water) is use for
>nasal sprays, a weaker solution for eye washes, etc. so it follows, salt
>kills bacteria, therefore the eggplant would be okay to eay, as it was
>salted. I thought just stating it is a perservative would be statement
>enough, I was wrong, again.>

The amount of salt used to cure a ham is a lot more per weight than the
amount used to draw liquid out of eggplant. For salt to do effective
preservation, there has to be a pretty high concentration of it.

Or, the landfills are filled with well-preserved french fries...

Actual Frugal Content: Dinner last night included included a Japanese
eggplant and peppers from my garden.

Which had frost on it this morning, blast it.

Rod Speed

Oct 18, 2009, 2:15:42 PM10/18/09
sr wrote

> Let me clarify, I said salt is a perservative, along that line of thinking.

It isnt with eggplants when used like she did.

> Why is it a perservative? We know a salt solution is use when we have a sore throat, also a saline solution (salt and
> sterile
> water) is use for nasal sprays, a weaker solution for eye washes, etc. so it follows, salt kills bacteria, therefore
> the eggplant would be okay to eay, as it was salted.

It would be fine unsalted too. Essentially because there is no
bacteria that matters with those eggplant slices. And she only
sliced it up to apply the salt to get rid of the bitter taste anyway.

The eggplant would survive fine not cut up, out of the fridge overnight.

> I thought just stating it is a perservative would be statement enough, I was wrong, again

And you are again now.

sr

Oct 18, 2009, 8:34:19 PM10/18/09
You make my statement more complicated than it was , Rod Speed.
My point is, salt has a the ability to retard bacteria growth. Bacteria
that causes the breaking down (rotting) process to begin. Wasn't that the
question? I wasn't making any point about cooking procedure and outcome.
Perhaps, I misread the original question, if the only question was, is it
eatable, without wondering about the safety (being left out all night) The
lady said it was salted, so safe. I elaborated on why it was probably safe.
So, I wonder : the rest of the story? Was it eaten or not. It would be
nice to hear from the original posters.
==========

"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Rod Speed

Oct 18, 2009, 9:21:16 PM10/18/09
sr wrote:

> You make my statement more complicated than it was , Rod Speed.

Nope. The salt has no effect whatever on the safety of the eggplant being discussed.

> My point is, salt has a the ability to retard bacteria growth.

Not in the situation being discussed it doesnt.

> Bacteria that causes the breaking down (rotting) process to begin.

There is no 'breaking down (rotting) process'
with slices of eggplant not in the fridge overnight.

The most that might happen is that they might dry out a bit.

> Wasn't that the question?

Nope, the question was whether it was safe to eat it.

Of course it is.

> I wasn't making any point about cooking procedure and outcome. Perhaps, I misread the original question, if the only
> question was, is it eatable, without wondering about the safety (being left out all night)

The question was indeed about the safety.

> The lady said it was salted, so safe. I elaborated on why it was probably safe.

But mangled the story completely because no brine was involved.

> So, I wonder : the rest of the story? Was it eaten or not.

Doesnt matter. What matters is that it was safe to eat.

> It would be nice to hear from the original posters.

Some of them appear to hide under the bed when anything is at
all controversial or dont like other than black and white answers.

> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

sr

Oct 18, 2009, 10:41:38 PM10/18/09
So, you don't believe that a vegetable would not start breaking down
immediately upon cutting?

That salt detoures bacterial production?

If you don't agree on those two premises, than we agree to disagree.

Is there a doctor in the House!

Bet the original poster would never believe the string the question would
create.

In the meantime, the eggplant is probably eaten and digested.
No wonder nations have problems with one another when we can't agree on an
eggplant , my golly-

"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Rod Speed

Oct 18, 2009, 11:24:15 PM10/18/09
sr wrote:

> So, you don't believe that a vegetable would not start breaking down immediately upon cutting?

Not in the sense that that will produce any safety problem for eating it.

> That salt detoures bacterial production?

Not in the sense that that will produce any safety problem for eating it.

> If you don't agree on those two premises, than we agree to disagree.

I dont agree to disagree either.

> Is there a doctor in the House!

Dont need one of those. Its very basic science.

> Bet the original poster would never believe the string the question would create.

Very likely.

> In the meantime, the eggplant is probably eaten and digested.

And other may well consider the question of when vegetables
left out of the fridge overnight are safe to eat etc.

> No wonder nations have problems with one another when we can't agree on an eggplant , my golly-

Welcome to usenet.