Terminex

MAS

Aug 26, 2010, 6:45:17 PM8/26/10
Anyone here have experience with Terminex? If so, what's your opinion of
the company?

Marsha

The Real Bev

Aug 26, 2010, 7:28:00 PM8/26/10
On 08/26/10 15:45, MAS wrote:

> Anyone here have experience with Terminex? If so, what's your opinion of
> the company?

MY mom subscribed to their monthly ant service for years. She was happy
with the company when the guy knew what he was doing and absolutely
livid when the new guy somehow did things that allowed ants to populate
her FREEZER. The new guy was quickly replaced.

--
Cheers, Bev
"The fact that windows is one of the most popular ways to

MAS

Aug 26, 2010, 7:57:14 PM8/26/10
On 8/26/2010 7:28 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 08/26/10 15:45, MAS wrote:
>
>> Anyone here have experience with Terminex? If so, what's your opinion of
>> the company?
>
> MY mom subscribed to their monthly ant service for years. She was happy
> with the company when the guy knew what he was doing and absolutely
> livid when the new guy somehow did things that allowed ants to populate
> her FREEZER. The new guy was quickly replaced.

Thanks. They were one of the places mentioned to us by a tree service
company, but it's nice to get other opinions. We seem to have yellow
jackets in the siding of our house....fun, fun, fun.

Marsha

The Real Bev

Aug 26, 2010, 8:39:40 PM8/26/10
On 08/26/10 16:57, MAS wrote:

> On 8/26/2010 7:28 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> On 08/26/10 15:45, MAS wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone here have experience with Terminex? If so, what's your opinion of
>>> the company?
>>
>> MY mom subscribed to their monthly ant service for years. She was happy
>> with the company when the guy knew what he was doing and absolutely
>> livid when the new guy somehow did things that allowed ants to populate
>> her FREEZER. The new guy was quickly replaced.

They're an old company, which they probably wouldn't be if they were
incompetent.

> Thanks. They were one of the places mentioned to us by a tree service
> company, but it's nice to get other opinions. We seem to have yellow
> jackets in the siding of our house....fun, fun, fun.

We had some paper wasps. They were OK until they attacked my husband
and his brother. The wasp spray was easy and worked fine.

--
Cheers, Bev
"No matter how cynical I get, it's just never enough to keep up."

Les Cargill

Aug 26, 2010, 8:45:00 PM8/26/10

it's less a company than a franchise:

http://www.terminix.com/corporate/franchise/

--
Les Cargill

George

Aug 26, 2010, 9:09:23 PM8/26/10

It is often better to find a reputable local company that isn't a
franchisee.

MAS

Aug 27, 2010, 8:53:54 PM8/27/10
On 8/26/2010 8:39 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 08/26/10 16:57, MAS wrote:
>> Thanks. They were one of the places mentioned to us by a tree service
>> company, but it's nice to get other opinions. We seem to have yellow
>> jackets in the siding of our house....fun, fun, fun.
>
> We had some paper wasps. They were OK until they attacked my husband and
> his brother. The wasp spray was easy and worked fine.

Yeah, last year we had huge bald-faced hornet nest in a tree. So far
this year, we've found two yellow jacket nests in the ground (DH was the
unfortunate one to discover them while mowing - extremely painful), then
we discovered a bunch of them going into the siding. They're getting
more frequent. Neither one of us wants to get anywhere near them.
Terminex said they would get rid of any in the yard, too, so we figured
it would be well worth it.

Marsha

MAS

Aug 27, 2010, 9:09:42 PM8/27/10

We called one local company, but they couldn't match what Terminex
offered. And Terminex was the only one specifically mentioned, besides
Orkin, by the family-owned service that takes care of our trees. We'll
see whether they live up to their reputation.

Marsha

Aug 27, 2010, 9:15:20 PM8/27/10

"MAS" <m...@bbbb.net> wrote in message news:i59nkn$eij$2...@news.datemas.de...

> We called one local company, but they couldn't match what Terminex
> offered. And Terminex was the only one specifically mentioned, besides
> Orkin, by the family-owned service that takes care of our trees. We'll
> see whether they live up to their reputation.

Don't know anything about exterminators, but I just spray all areas with
regular Aquanet hairspray 4 times a day, during the first week we see flying
stuff. All dead, totally gone. Yeah, we have to do it every year, but there
hasn't been any more wood damage and we're only on the 4th can of $2
hairspray. And it's theoretically non-toxic. Ok, I would never put that crap
on my hair, nor would I spray it inside the house, but still, millions of
other women do it daily.

Gary Heston

Aug 27, 2010, 10:08:19 PM8/27/10
In article <i56v0r$s42$2...@news.datemas.de>, MAS <m...@bbbb.net> wrote:
[ ... ]

>Thanks. They were one of the places mentioned to us by a tree service
>company, but it's nice to get other opinions. We seem to have yellow
>jackets in the siding of our house....fun, fun, fun.

Yellow jackets can be dealt with using a ShopVac or similar vacuum.

Put the rigid extensions on the flex hose, plug the flex hose into
your vacuum, slide the open end of the rigid extensions over to the
nest entrance, turn on the vacuum, obtain a chair and refreshing
beverage, sit down and watch the show.

Once all the wasps are collected, plug the hose and leave the vacuum
sitting in the sun for a few hours (the heat will kill them).

Empty into a trash receptacle, squirt some insect spray into the
entrance, and you should have no further problems.

That's how I dealt with three separate nests. Works fine.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

If you want to reduce the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere,
go plant trees.

MAS

Aug 28, 2010, 7:50:47 AM8/28/10
On 8/27/2010 10:08 PM, Gary Heston wrote:
> Yellow jackets can be dealt with using a ShopVac or similar vacuum.
>
> Put the rigid extensions on the flex hose, plug the flex hose into
> your vacuum, slide the open end of the rigid extensions over to the
> nest entrance, turn on the vacuum, obtain a chair and refreshing
> beverage, sit down and watch the show.
>
> Once all the wasps are collected, plug the hose and leave the vacuum
> sitting in the sun for a few hours (the heat will kill them).
>
> Empty into a trash receptacle, squirt some insect spray into the
> entrance, and you should have no further problems.
>
> That's how I dealt with three separate nests. Works fine.
>

> Gary

You're a braver person than I. How do you get that close without
upsetting the critters? Even at night, I would think that would disturb
them.

Marsha

Gary Heston

Aug 28, 2010, 10:32:44 AM8/28/10
In article <i5at6n$uob$1...@news.datemas.de>, MAS <m...@bbbb.net> wrote:
>On 8/27/2010 10:08 PM, Gary Heston wrote:
>> Yellow jackets can be dealt with using a ShopVac or similar vacuum.

>> Put the rigid extensions on the flex hose, plug the flex hose into
>> your vacuum, slide the open end of the rigid extensions over to the
>> nest entrance, turn on the vacuum, obtain a chair and refreshing
>> beverage, sit down and watch the show.

[ ... ]

>You're a braver person than I. How do you get that close without
>upsetting the critters? Even at night, I would think that would disturb
>them.

Move slowly, slide the extensions along the ground (or close to the wall),
and don't swat at any that buzz by. As long as you don't get preceived as
a threat, the wasps will ignore you. They do perceive a mower going over
the nest entrance as a threat, as the OP and I found out. I was stung by
three wasps before I got across the yard; about ten minutes later, I was
able to walk back over and retrieve the mower and my glasses. Knocked
them off while getting stung on the forehead.

It's possible to walk quite close to a nest without problems. If you
annoy them, as the brain-dead idiot in the video did several years ago
by throwing rocks and green apples at a hornets' nest, you will have
problems. Dozens of them.

I noticed a nest of paper wasps on the underside of the back awning.
Haven't had any problems with them yet, or decided if I need to remove
them. Wasps feed on other insects, and therefore help the garden.

The Real Bev

Aug 28, 2010, 10:34:39 PM8/28/10
On 08/28/10 07:32, Gary Heston wrote:

> It's possible to walk quite close to a nest without problems. If you
> annoy them, as the brain-dead idiot in the video did several years ago
> by throwing rocks and green apples at a hornets' nest, you will have
> problems. Dozens of them.

It's kind of nice when stupidity carries its own penalties.

> I noticed a nest of paper wasps on the underside of the back awning.
> Haven't had any problems with them yet, or decided if I need to remove
> them. Wasps feed on other insects, and therefore help the garden.

How many stings before you decide to wipe out the little buggers? The
paper wasp nests are pretty damn slick, but that doesn't necessarily
mean that they get to live with us.

--
Cheers, Bev
When you wish upon a falling star your dreams can come true. Unless

Message has been deleted