SSN for Job Applications

Napoleon

Aug 11, 2010, 9:19:23 AM8/11/10
More and more people are asking for your social security number when
you fill out a job application. I always decline and write "upon hire"
instead.

I remember in the 80's and early 90's that the SSN was only given
after you were hired to prove that you could work in the USA (of
course other forms of ID could be used instead). I believe it's
illegal to ask for the SSN on a job application - what use is it? A
job application is not a credit check, which supposedly safeguards
sensitive info such as SSNs. A job application is just a sheet of
paper anyone can get their hands on. I don't trust giving out my SSN
to just anyone for no reason.

Of course all the jobs where I declined to give my SSN I was not hired
for. Could be a coincidence, or not.

Bill

Aug 11, 2010, 10:38:46 AM8/11/10
"Napoleon" wrote in message

> More and more people are asking for your social security number when
> you fill out a job application. I always decline and write "upon hire"
> instead...

Maybe they are running a credit, criminal, and drivers license check?

If someone has good credit, no criminal background, and a good driving
record, then that might indicate they know basic math, can plan ahead, and
can follow rules. A responsible person.

Then what people think of others is often a reflection of themselves. If
someone is honest, they would tend to think others are honest and trust
others. If someone is dishonest, they would tend to think others are
dishonest as well. So the way someone responds to the request for their SSN
might show if the person is trusting of others or not. Also can the person
do what is requested of them, or is the person going to be a trouble maker
constantly informing the manager of what his/her "rights" are, etc.?

The company is hiring a total stranger. They are best to find out as much as
possible about the job applicant before hiring...

MAS

Aug 11, 2010, 7:01:09 PM8/11/10

Some employers are now checking your credit status before they hire.

Marsha

Annie Woughman

Aug 11, 2010, 7:52:37 PM8/11/10

"MAS" <m...@bbbb.net> wrote in message news:i3va3m$o4a$2...@news.datemas.de...

Employers have been doing credit checks for years. It is just recently that
some states are trying to pass laws to make credit checks illegal as a
condition of hiring because of the mess the economy is in. Too many people
have been caught in the vicious cycle of being downsized because of the bad
economy, making it kind of tough to meet one's financial obligations, which
in turn can lead to a bad credit rating--making it MORE difficult to get a
job in a shrinking market, continuing right into a downward spiral that one
might never recover from.

George

Aug 11, 2010, 8:26:14 PM8/11/10
On 8/11/2010 10:38 AM, Bill wrote:
> "Napoleon" wrote in message
>> More and more people are asking for your social security number when
>> you fill out a job application. I always decline and write "upon hire"
>> instead...
>>

> Maybe they are running a credit, criminal, and drivers license check?
>
> If someone has good credit, no criminal background, and a good driving
> record, then that might indicate they know basic math, can plan ahead, and
> can follow rules. A responsible person.
>
> Then what people think of others is often a reflection of themselves. If
> someone is honest, they would tend to think others are honest and trust
> others. If someone is dishonest, they would tend to think others are
> dishonest as well. So the way someone responds to the request for their SSN
> might show if the person is trusting of others or not. Also can the person
> do what is requested of them, or is the person going to be a trouble maker
> constantly informing the manager of what his/her "rights" are, etc.?

And people who simply want to maintain their privacy are offended when
others spout nonsense like they must be dishonest or have something to
hide. Maybe some folks want to put their entire life on facebook and
give any information to anyone but others don't.

George

Aug 11, 2010, 8:28:55 PM8/11/10

Unfortunately lots of employers use Simple Simon procedures for hiring.
Run the resumes through a buzzword screener to check for a match and if
yes perform easy checks such as running a credit check. This is instead
of putting some thought into it and inviting folks in for an interview.

MAS

Aug 11, 2010, 9:03:03 PM8/11/10

Then these states should also make it illegal to do a credit check by
insurance companies before they accept you or quote you a premium?

Marsha

The Real Bev

Aug 11, 2010, 11:28:32 PM8/11/10
On 08/11/10 17:28, George wrote:

> Unfortunately lots of employers use Simple Simon procedures for hiring.
> Run the resumes through a buzzword screener to check for a match and if
> yes perform easy checks such as running a credit check. This is instead
> of putting some thought into it and inviting folks in for an interview.

Yes. This is what HR does. No brain involved, as whould be obvious to
anyone who has spent any time with an HR person. When you get 300
resumes for one opening, you HAVE to figure out a way of getting rid of
all but 20 real candidates. And 20 is conservative; no manager wants
to have to decide among even 10 people unless it's a REALLY important
opening, in which case it will be filled without HR's involvement except
for processing the paperwork after the decision is made.

Note: I was sort of pushed into the HR function and was disgusted by
what I saw -- especially at the company-wide HR meetings. Don't ask.

That's why they ask for degrees when practical experience may (or may
not) be a better qualification -- remember, the initial screening is
more or less mechanical, not requiring any judgment. Being able to
easily check whether you have a criminal record or are a deadbeat is
just one more useful weeding tool.

Look at it this way: Always complain when you get bad service at a
restaurant; there are probably 50 people waiting who need the job as
much as the crappy waiter does, and half of them will probably be better
waiters and hence more deserving of the job. Incompetence should never
be rewarded.

Providing good references is useless -- managers are instructed to NEVER
tell anything about a former employee except maybe job title, employment
period and salary; anything else opens up the possibility of a lawsuit.
Example: only after the employee was escorted from the premises
under guard was I able to get his former manager to open up and tell me
what a total shithead the guy was, and he only told me that after I told
him about what the jerk had done while he was working for us. If he'd
told me the truth before we hired the jerk a whole lot of grief would
have been saved, but NOOOOOO. It's probably worse now.

If you have to work for somebody else you're at the mercy of his
organization. Complaining does no good, just learn how to best
manipulate the system to YOUR advantage.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Windows Freedom Day: a holiday that moves each year, the date of which

Napoleon

Aug 12, 2010, 9:20:28 AM8/12/10
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 19:01:09 -0400, MAS <m...@bbbb.net> wrote:

>Some employers are now checking your credit status before they hire.

This is not a credit check. You must specify to the person that you
are doing a credit check. The application says NOTHING about a credit
check. It's a simple application. You don't agree to a credit check
just because you fill out an application, you must specifically agree
to a credit check (I have always had to fill out a special form
agreeing to a credit check which lists the rights you have to the
information).

Napoleon

Aug 12, 2010, 9:25:22 AM8/12/10
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 07:38:46 -0700, "Bill"
<billnoma...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Maybe they are running a credit, criminal, and drivers license check?

No. They can't without your specific consent. There is no specific
consent on the application.

>Then what people think of others is often a reflection of themselves. If
>someone is honest, they would tend to think others are honest and trust
>others. If someone is dishonest, they would tend to think others are
>dishonest as well. So the way someone responds to the request for their SSN
>might show if the person is trusting of others or not. Also can the person
>do what is requested of them, or is the person going to be a trouble maker
>constantly informing the manager of what his/her "rights" are, etc.?

OMG. I never expected this answer. Oh well, it's a post 911 world. The
next time you get your identity stolen (as I have), get back to me and
let me know if you will "comply" with any request to give your SSN.
As for being a troublemaker, I can't believe how far America has
fallen to "being a good little German."

>The company is hiring a total stranger. They are best to find out as much as
>possible about the job applicant before hiring...

Then specifically ask for a credit/background check, which requires
the applicant to either agree or disagree. Don't ask for an SSN on the
general application. Sorry, I prefer to hide my SSN from total
strangers as well.

Annie Woughman

Aug 12, 2010, 10:56:04 AM8/12/10

"MAS" <m...@bbbb.net> wrote in message news:i3vh88$gvb$1...@news.datemas.de...

That would make sense too, however, I haven't heard anything about that in
the proposed laws. Insurance rates should be based on one's driving record,
not their credit rating. This is another hardship placed on those that
through no fault of their own are facing financial disaster--higher
insurance premiums.

Clincher

Aug 12, 2010, 2:51:29 PM8/12/10

"Annie Woughman" <anniew...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

The vicious circle can also come about simply because the longer one is
unemployed, the more stale his skills become - especially in areas like tech
where skills obsoletely quickly.

So what's next: a law to prohibit employer discrimination against those who
are unqualified for the job?

Laws like this don't solve the real problem which is that there are more
jobseekers than there are jobs. All they do is to take a job away from
someone who managed their credit well and give it to someone who didn't.

Clincher

Aug 12, 2010, 3:02:22 PM8/12/10

> That would make sense too, however, I haven't heard anything about that in
> the proposed laws. Insurance rates should be based on one's driving
> record, not their credit rating. This is another hardship placed on those
> that through no fault of their own are facing financial disaster--higher
> insurance premiums.

Those who are facing financial difficulties are also the ones most likely to
file claims for small repairs (that a more well-to-do would be able to cover
out of his own pocket.) They're also more likely to live in crime ridden
areas or neglect proper auto and home maintenance whether because they can't
afford or it because they have such pessimistic outlook on life that they
figure why bother?

All of these things increase the likelihood of the policyholder submitting
claims - and fair or not, that's what premiums are supposed to be based on.
Insurance isn't meant to be a social equalizer. It's meant to be a hedge
against catastrophe (for the policyholder) and a means to make money by
betting against you having a loss (for the insurer.)

rvanson

Aug 13, 2010, 1:41:29 AM8/13/10
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 08:19:23 -0500, Napoleon <ana...@666yes.net>
wrote:

No, its not coincedence at all.

The USA has been forming into a neo-fascist police state since before
9/11. I was asked to show the management my SS card to add on an
application to rent an apartment a while back.

They also wanted my drivers license wanted to copy the documents on
the spot along with my personal check so they could have my bank
account number too. Needless to say I declined to give them that
information.

There is little privacy to be had in the US anymore, sadly enough.

Its next to impossible to do anything without all manner of checks.
Some companies are taking hair samples to drug test before hiring. It
wont be long till they want DNA samples just like in the sci-fi movie,
"Gattica" and that was made before 9/11 and the Bush regime.

rvanson

Aug 13, 2010, 1:44:11 AM8/13/10
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 19:01:09 -0400, MAS <m...@bbbb.net> wrote:

They are doing alot more then that.

There is a company called Hireright that is a huge datbase for
informtaion on many individuals.

Once you are on the database your info is almost impossible to have
removed or altered. Welcome to the Brave New World of the USSA.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Bill

Aug 13, 2010, 10:02:12 AM8/13/10
> I was asked to show the management my SS card to add on an
> application to rent an apartment a while back.
>
> They also wanted my drivers license wanted to copy the documents on
> the spot along with my personal check so they could have my bank
> account number too. Needless to say I declined to give them that
> information.

Well think about this... The landlord is turning over a property worth
upwards of $100,000.00 to a total stranger! Landlords have been burned BIG
time in the past with thousands of dollars of damage or unpaid rent. They
have to pay their mortgage too...

Most people are OK and landlords did not used to need to do this, but get a
drug lab in a rental and pay for a "toxic waste cleanup" - maybe have to
tear down the house, then as the say... "Once burned, twice shy!"

Bob F

Aug 13, 2010, 12:57:13 PM8/13/10

But don't expect a job from people that disagree with you on this. Not going to
happen.

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 13, 2010, 1:12:16 PM8/13/10
On Aug 13, 1:44 am, rvanson <rvan...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> There is a company called Hireright that is a huge datbase for
> informtaion on many individuals.
>
> Once you are on the database your info is almost impossible to have
> removed or altered. Welcome to the Brave New World of the USSA.

However, in this case it's free enterprise compiling the database, so
your reference to the USSA (parallel to USSR, I assume) is
somewhat off the mark.

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 13, 2010, 1:14:19 PM8/13/10
On Aug 13, 1:41 am, rvanson <rvan...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 08:19:23 -0500, Napoleon <ana...@666yes.net>
> wrote:
>
> >More and more people are asking for your social security number when
> >you fill out a job application. I always decline and write "upon hire"
> >instead.
>
> >I remember in the 80's and early 90's that the SSN was only given
> >after you were hired to prove that you could work in the USA (of
> >course other forms of ID could be used instead). I believe it's
> >illegal to ask for the SSN on a job application - what use is it? A
> >job application is not a credit check, which supposedly safeguards
> >sensitive info such as SSNs. A job application is just a sheet of
> >paper anyone can get their hands on. I don't trust giving out my SSN
> >to just anyone for no reason.
>
> >Of course all the jobs where I declined to give my SSN I was not hired
> >for. Could be a coincidence, or not.
>
> No, its not coincedence at all.
>
> The USA has been forming into a neo-fascist police state since before
> 9/11. I was asked to show the management my SS card to add on an
> application to rent an apartment a while back.

That does not make the USA a police state. That was a purely
private transaction. You are free to rent from someone who does not
need your social security card.

> They also wanted my drivers license wanted to copy the documents on
> the spot along with my personal check so they could have my bank
> account number too. Needless to say I declined to give them that
> information.

Which proves that there is still quite a lot of freedom here.

> There is little privacy to be had in the US anymore, sadly enough.
>
> Its next to impossible to do anything without all manner of checks.
> Some companies are taking hair samples to drug test before hiring. It
> wont be long till they want DNA samples just like in the sci-fi movie,
> "Gattica" and that was made before 9/11 and the Bush regime.

Which also has nothing to do wiht the government. You can blame
the private sector for all of this.

George

Aug 13, 2010, 3:46:44 PM8/13/10
Sure, but one of the best jobs I ever had was because the business owner
appreciated the idea of privacy and people who could respect his.

I just don't get the direction we are going in where so many people
don't seem to have a personal identity and feel the need to tell
everyone everything they do.

The Real Bev

Aug 13, 2010, 5:46:57 PM8/13/10
On 08/12/10 22:44, rvanson wrote:

> They are doing alot more then that.
>
> There is a company called Hireright that is a huge datbase for
> informtaion on many individuals.
>
> Once you are on the database your info is almost impossible to have
> removed or altered. Welcome to the Brave New World of the USSA.

Perhaps the US could earn money by renting out the FBI database. Or
maybe they already have...

--
Cheers, Bev
"Don't sweat it -- it's not real life. It's only ones and zeroes."

Napoleon

Aug 16, 2010, 8:49:20 AM8/16/10
On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 15:46:44 -0400, George <geo...@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>I just don't get the direction we are going in where so many people
>don't seem to have a personal identity and feel the need to tell
>everyone everything they do.

America is gone. Fascist state. But nobody cares. Oh well.

I could tell you about the new drunk driving law they passed in NY
that requires one convicted of a DUI (even a misdeameanor) to install
a breathalizer in the car, which will activate the horn every ten
minutes and require the perp to pull over and breath into the thing
again.

Hahaha. Can you see it? On the highway a horn blows and the driver
next to you immediately swerves into your lane to get to the shoulder
so he can tell big brother he's sober. Does anyone else so how
ridiculous this is and that it will only cause more accidents?

Nope. Just me.

Napoleon

Aug 16, 2010, 8:52:33 AM8/16/10
On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 10:12:16 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
<angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>However, in this case it's free enterprise compiling the database, so
>your reference to the USSA (parallel to USSR, I assume) is
>somewhat off the mark.

Somewhat, but not quite. Fascism. The rule by private enterprises with
help by the state. Merger between private industry and the government.
That is what is happening now in America: new health insurance laws,
TARP, outsourcing govt work to private industries, two wars.

But nobody cares.

Bill

Aug 17, 2010, 11:12:26 PM8/17/10
> Yes. This is what HR does. No brain involved, as whould be obvious to
> anyone who has spent any time with an HR person. When you get 300 resumes
> for one opening, you HAVE to figure out a way of getting rid of all but 20
> real candidates.

I found a possible new way to get some insight into those job applicants!

I've been buying tons of used VCR tapes at yard sales for 50 cents each. I
check each tape to be sure it works before I put it on my shelf...

And I found an interesting trend! Violent movies are usually not rewound.
Whereas the other movies are mostly rewound...

Perhaps people who like violent movies tend to not plan ahead or may be
self-centered or lack patience?

Anyway, ask what their 5 favorite movies are. I wonder if you will see a
correlation between types of movies liked and credit / criminal background
checks?

Aug 18, 2010, 12:20:44 PM8/18/10

"Bill" <billnoma...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> And I found an interesting trend! Violent movies are usually not rewound.
> Whereas the other movies are mostly rewound...
>
> Perhaps people who like violent movies tend to not plan ahead or may be
> self-centered or lack patience?
>
> Anyway, ask what their 5 favorite movies are. I wonder if you will see a
> correlation between types of movies liked and credit / criminal background
> checks?

Nope. I'm a middle-aged female who adores action (violent) flicks and I have
excellent credit (805, last time I checked) and no criminal record. Not even
a traffic ticket. Oh, and I ALWAYS rewind tapes, even the ones I own.
So...correlation unlikely.

Bob F

Aug 18, 2010, 12:23:55 PM8/18/10
Napoleon wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 15:46:44 -0400, George <geo...@nospam.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> I just don't get the direction we are going in where so many people
>> don't seem to have a personal identity and feel the need to tell
>> everyone everything they do.
>
> America is gone. Fascist state. But nobody cares. Oh well.
>
> I could tell you about the new drunk driving law they passed in NY
> that requires one convicted of a DUI (even a misdeameanor) to install
> a breathalizer in the car, which will activate the horn every ten
> minutes and require the perp to pull over and breath into the thing
> again.

Must be really popular when the neighbors are sleeping.

The Real Bev

Aug 18, 2010, 6:23:57 PM8/18/10
On 08/18/10 09:20, h wrote:

> "Bill"<billnoma...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> And I found an interesting trend! Violent movies are usually not rewound.
>> Whereas the other movies are mostly rewound...
>>
>> Perhaps people who like violent movies tend to not plan ahead or may be
>> self-centered or lack patience?
>>
>> Anyway, ask what their 5 favorite movies are. I wonder if you will see a
>> correlation between types of movies liked and credit / criminal background
>> checks?
>>
> Nope. I'm a middle-aged female who adores action (violent) flicks and I have
> excellent credit (805, last time I checked) and no criminal record.

Likewise. Action, though, not gore. T2 is one of my favorites.

> Not even
> a traffic ticket. Oh, and I ALWAYS rewind tapes, even the ones I own.
> So...correlation unlikely.

I seem to remember that we always rewound rental tapes back in the dark
ages.

What's sad is buying used tapes at yard sales and discovering stuff like
wedding pictures or a trip to the beach... A used camera came with an
8-meg SD card with pictures from 2003 of some kids' volleyball and
soccer games. I managed to track down the school and sent the admin
office an email, but they haven't answered yet. I'd like to think that
people saved their pix, but I can't be sure.

The movie of somebody's colonoscopy was interesting and informative,
though. They use something like a noose on the end of a stick to snip
off the polyps.

--
Cheers, Bev
Lawyering: the only profession that if you

Aug 18, 2010, 7:41:34 PM8/18/10

"The Real Bev" <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On 08/18/10 09:20, h wrote:
>
> Likewise. Action, though, not gore. T2 is one of my favorites.

I hate horror movies, unless they're vampire flicks. I have a huge
collection going back as far as the 1922 Nosferatu, the Bela Lugosi Dracula,
etc. That said, the current trend of teeny bopper vampires in film and tv is
the opposite of interesting. Boring to the max. Give me True Blood over
teenage angst any day. Buffy, although a teenager, had adult issues and
problems. Also, some of the best toss-off literary references on tv. Usually
by the "adults", but still.

Spike: "Well, not exactly the St. Crispin's Day speech, was it?"
Giles: "We few, we happy few".
Spike: "We band of buggered".

Ok, so I'd read Henry V when I was 11 (my mother was an English/Drama
teacher), but I suspect most of Buffy's "target audience" had it fly over
their heads like a 747. The main reason I kept watching Buffy is that there
was at least one ROTFLMFAS moment every episode. So much better than the
average show.

rvanson

Aug 23, 2010, 5:04:53 PM8/23/10
On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 07:49:20 -0500, Napoleon <ana...@666yes.net>
wrote:

That is a dangerous law, I agree. Pulling over on a city street is one
thing. Pulling over on a 55 MPH zone is anouther.

rvanson

Aug 23, 2010, 5:07:39 PM8/23/10
On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 10:12:16 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
<angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Does it really matter?

Do you think the FBI, the CIA and the NSA dont have databases on US
citisens as well?

Those are all government agencies like the KGB was to the USSR.

rvanson

Aug 23, 2010, 5:09:50 PM8/23/10
On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 14:46:57 -0700, The Real Bev
<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 08/12/10 22:44, rvanson wrote:
>
>> They are doing alot more then that.
>>
>> There is a company called Hireright that is a huge datbase for
>> informtaion on many individuals.
>>
>> Once you are on the database your info is almost impossible to have
>> removed or altered. Welcome to the Brave New World of the USSA.
>
>Perhaps the US could earn money by renting out the FBI database. Or
>maybe they already have...

Its the information age. If one wants something erased I suppose
finding the right people to do it would be possible but it would cost
some real change and prison time it cuaght.

Welcome to the Brave New World Order.

rvanson

Aug 23, 2010, 5:19:22 PM8/23/10

Those places are becoming fewer in number each day.

>> They also wanted my drivers license wanted to copy the documents on
>> the spot along with my personal check so they could have my bank
>> account number too. Needless to say I declined to give them that
>> information.
>
>Which proves that there is still quite a lot of freedom here.

What freedom? I didn't complete the transaction did I?

>> There is little privacy to be had in the US anymore, sadly enough.
>>
>> Its next to impossible to do anything without all manner of checks.
>> Some companies are taking hair samples to drug test before hiring. It
>> wont be long till they want DNA samples just like in the sci-fi movie,
>> "Gattica" and that was made before 9/11 and the Bush regime.
>
>Which also has nothing to do wiht the government. You can blame
>the private sector for all of this.

The private sector and the public sector are joined at the hip.

Private businesses must comply with ever increasing state and federal
laws or be fined, closed down, imprisoned.

Perhaps the word Fascism is more suiting to you then the word Police
State?

tmclone

Aug 23, 2010, 5:47:37 PM8/23/10

tmclone

Aug 23, 2010, 5:51:30 PM8/23/10
On Aug 11, 9:19 am, Napoleon <ana...@666yes.net> wrote:

> Of course all the jobs where I declined to give my SSN I was not hired
> for. Could be a coincidence, or not.

Well, duh. My DH is a computer-nerd contractor, and his
"pimp" (consulting agency) provides his SSN EVERY SIN GLE time his
resume is submitted to ANYONE If you refuse to supply that, you will
NEVER, EVER get hired ANYWHERE. Wake up and smell the new century,
dude. Seriously.

Lady Veteran

Aug 23, 2010, 11:22:07 PM8/23/10

SSN are being used for background checks and to verify citizenship. I
don't think you were rejected by accident.

Thank all the idiots who fake ID and college degrees and US
citizenship.

LV

--

"I rode a tank and held a general's rank
When the blitzkrieg raged and the bodies stank."

---Sympathy for the Devil-The Rolling Stones
"Some people are only alive because it is
illegal to kill them."

---Anonymous
See the latest idiot featured on my blog!

My Blog http://ladyveteranslog.blogspot.com
"I am really enjoying the new Martin Luther King Jr
stamp - just think about all those white bigots,
licking the backside of a black man."

----Dick Gregory
Today's Idiot - Tom DeLay: "Guns have little or nothing
to do with juvenile violence. The causes of youth violence
are working parents who put their kids into daycare, the
teaching of evolution in the schools, and working mothers
who take birth control pills."

Lady Veteran

Aug 23, 2010, 11:25:18 PM8/23/10

Watch the pimp stuff, lady. Most consulting agencies make very little
($20.00 and under) per hour of the people they place and that is a
GROSS margin. Out of that comes benefits, taxes, etc until the profit
margin is about $3.00 per consultant per hour.

Hardly a pimp's profit.

Napoleon

Aug 24, 2010, 7:54:26 AM8/24/10
On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 14:51:30 -0700 (PDT), tmclone
<tmc...@searchmachine.com> wrote:

>Well, duh. My DH is a computer-nerd contractor, and his
>"pimp" (consulting agency) provides his SSN EVERY SIN GLE time his
>resume is submitted to ANYONE If you refuse to supply that, you will
>NEVER, EVER get hired ANYWHERE. Wake up and smell the new century,
>dude. Seriously.

Oh well. Then I'll never be hired. Fine. I'll start my own business.
You can have your new century. I'll stay back in the old one. I
thought "being a good little German" was so 1940's. It appears "being
a good little American" is sooooo 2000's! Yippee! Dudette. Seriously.

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 24, 2010, 1:15:09 PM8/24/10
On Aug 23, 5:07 pm, rvanson <rvan...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 10:12:16 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>
> <angelicapagane...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >On Aug 13, 1:44 am, rvanson <rvan...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >> There is a company called Hireright that is a huge datbase for
> >> informtaion on many individuals.
>
> >> Once you are on the database your info is almost impossible to have
> >> removed or altered. Welcome to the Brave New World of the USSA.
>
> >However, in this case it's free enterprise compiling the database, so
> >your reference to the USSA (parallel to USSR, I assume) is
> >somewhat off the mark.
>
> Does it really matter?
>
> Do you think the  FBI, the CIA and the NSA dont have databases on US
> citisens as well?

Possibly. That's irrelevant to the issue of Hireright, which is a
private
company.

I'm trying to figure out what those three federal agencies would have
about me in a database. The fact that I had a speeding ticket
about 12 years ago? The fact that I once looked at Al Jazeera
online just to see what it was like? Google is probably more of
a threat to my privacy than the NSA.

I apparently didn't get the gene for paranoia. I just don't care
what's in my FBI file (if I have one).

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 24, 2010, 1:19:31 PM8/24/10

And you had the freedom to not complete the transaction.

> >> There is little privacy to be had in the US anymore, sadly enough.
>
> >> Its next to impossible to do anything without all manner of checks.
> >> Some companies are taking hair samples to drug test before hiring. It
> >> wont be long till they want DNA samples just like in the sci-fi movie,
> >> "Gattica" and that was made before 9/11 and the Bush regime.
>
> >Which also has nothing to do wiht the government.  You can blame
> >the private sector for all of this.
>
> The private sector and the public sector are joined at the hip.

What is your evidence for this?

> Private businesses must comply with ever increasing state and federal
> laws or be fined, closed down, imprisoned.

Which laws in particular concern you? I can't imagine
you're opposed to health inspections for restaurants.

> Perhaps the word Fascism is more suiting to you then the word Police
> State?

I think you should get a breath of fresh air and realize that the
government really can't find its butt with both hands and a
flashlight.

Cindy Hamilton

rvanson

Aug 25, 2010, 9:21:04 PM8/25/10
On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 10:15:09 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
<angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Aug 23, 5:07 pm, rvanson <rvan...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 10:12:16 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>>
>> <angelicapagane...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> >However, in this case it's free enterprise compiling the database, so
>> >your reference to the USSA (parallel to USSR, I assume) is
>> >somewhat off the mark.
>>
>> Does it really matter?
>>
>> Do you think the  FBI, the CIA and the NSA dont have databases on US
>> citisens as well?
>
>Possibly. That's irrelevant to the issue of Hireright, which is a
>private
>company.

So you know for a fact that they do not exchange information with the
government, do you?

Prove it.

>I'm trying to figure out what those three federal agencies would have
>about me in a database. The fact that I had a speeding ticket
>about 12 years ago? The fact that I once looked at Al Jazeera
>online just to see what it was like? Google is probably more of
>a threat to my privacy than the NSA.
>
>I apparently didn't get the gene for paranoia. I just don't care
>what's in my FBI file (if I have one).

You need to watch Enemy of the State with Gene Hackman. All of that
is true and that was made back in 1998. It figures you call someone
with knowledge of such things a paranoiac. Go ahead don't believe me.

Aug 26, 2010, 9:46:20 AM8/26/10

"rvanson" <rva...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> You need to watch Enemy of the State with Gene Hackman. All of that
> is true and that was made back in 1998. It figures you call someone
> with knowledge of such things a paranoiac. Go ahead don't believe me.

Who cares? Doesn't change the fact that most employers require your SSN
PRIOR to hiring or even interviewing you. It's been part of the basic
application process for quite some time now, at least for database analysts
at large corporations. DH has his SSN on his pdf resume, because it's the
first thing the head hunter wants to know, even before the list of
certifications.

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 26, 2010, 1:22:27 PM8/26/10
On Aug 25, 9:21 pm, rvanson <rvan...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 10:15:09 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>

> <angelicapagane...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >On Aug 23, 5:07 pm, rvanson <rvan...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> Does it really matter?
>
> >> Do you think the  FBI, the CIA and the NSA dont have databases on US
> >> citisens as well?
>
> >Possibly.  That's irrelevant to the issue of Hireright, which is a
> >private
> >company.
>
> So you know for a fact that they do not exchange information with the
> government, do you?
>
> Prove it.

Nobody can prove a negative. Nobody can prove that Hireright
does not exchange information with the government. Can you
prove that they do?

> >I'm trying to figure out what those three federal agencies would have
> >about me in a database.  The fact that I had a speeding ticket
> >about 12 years ago?  The fact that I once looked at Al Jazeera
> >online just to see what it was like?  Google is probably more of
> >a threat to my privacy than the NSA.
>
> >I apparently didn't get the gene for paranoia.  I just don't care
> >what's in my FBI file (if I have one).
>
> You need to watch Enemy of the State with Gene Hackman. All of that
> is true and that was made back in 1998. It figures you call someone
> with knowledge of such things a paranoiac. Go ahead don't believe me.

Enemy of the State is fiction. Somebody made it up, for the
purpose of entertainment. (Ok, to make money, but in order
to do that, they have to entertain people with it.)

If you're getting your information from Hollywood
action movies, it's no wonder you're paranoid.

Cindy Hamilton

Bill

Aug 26, 2010, 1:46:59 PM8/26/10
> If you're getting your information from Hollywood
> action movies, it's no wonder you're paranoid.

I've met some people who relate everything in their lives to movies! Try to
teach them something about dealing with other people or whatever and they
will say "Oh you mean like what so and so did in a certain movie?", Etc.

Then I met one person who believed that all electronic TV boxes had
listening devices placed in them by the government. I patiently explained
that there are 250 million people in the U.S. and that if the government was
going to listen to all those people, it would take another 250 million
people to do the listening!

Or at least a very large number of people.... Who would also be U.S.
citizens.... And they would be outraged by such a thing... And someone would
spill the beans! (The government can not keep secrets!)

Not to mention all the electronic types out there such as myself who take
these things apart and would easily notice something like that.

Or that these are made by many different companies in many different
countries, and thousands of people are involved in the manufacturing of
these TV boxes. No way to keep a secret like that with so many people
involved, etc.

Or that you can pay cash for one of these TV boxes and there would be no way
to know who purchased it.

Or that I don't think anyone would care to listen to what was said in these
homes. All you would hear is the TV going. They never talk! It would be
quite boring to listen to such a household!

Message has been deleted

Gary Heston

Aug 26, 2010, 7:06:55 PM8/26/10
In article <f21e1063-a6fc-4b83...@x42g2000yqx.googlegroups.com>,

Cindy Hamilton <angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>On Aug 25, 9:21 pm, rvanson <rvan...@yahoo.com> wrote:
[ ... ]

>> So you know for a fact that they do not exchange information with the
>> government, do you?

>> Prove it.

>Nobody can prove a negative. Nobody can prove that Hireright
>does not exchange information with the government. Can you
>prove that they do?

[ ... ]

I doubt that Hireright _exchanges_ information with the government;
however, I'd be very suprised if the government doesn't have a large
volume discount contract with Hireright (and similar countries) for
checking on people applying for civil service jobs.

>> You need to watch Enemy of the State with Gene Hackman. All of that
>> is true and that was made back in 1998. It figures you call someone
>> with knowledge of such things a paranoiac. Go ahead don't believe me.

>Enemy of the State is fiction. Somebody made it up, for the
>purpose of entertainment. (Ok, to make money, but in order
>to do that, they have to entertain people with it.)

[ ... ]

Do a search for "Echelon project" and read what you find. Draw your
own conclusions.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

If you want to reduce the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere,
go plant trees.

The Real Bev

Aug 26, 2010, 7:22:50 PM8/26/10
On 08/26/10 10:46, Bill wrote:

> Or that I don't think anyone would care to listen to what was said in these
> homes. All you would hear is the TV going. They never talk! It would be
> quite boring to listen to such a household!

That's what they WANT you to think.

--
Cheers, Bev
"The fact that windows is one of the most popular ways to

Les Cargill

Aug 26, 2010, 8:42:15 PM8/26/10

There is a Frontline about that very subject:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/homefront/

Watch it. You'll feel better. They have so much
data that it's next to useless.

--
Les Cargill

Aug 26, 2010, 10:04:25 PM8/26/10

"Gary Heston" <ghe...@hiwaay.net> wrote in message

> In article
> <f21e1063-a6fc-4b83...@x42g2000yqx.googlegroups.com>,
> Cindy Hamilton <angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>On Aug 25, 9:21 pm, rvanson <rvan...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [ ... ]
>>> So you know for a fact that they do not exchange information with the
>>> government, do you?
>
>>> Prove it.
>
>>Nobody can prove a negative. Nobody can prove that Hireright
>>does not exchange information with the government.

Who gives a shit? Providing your SSN is simply part of the current job
application process. Wake up and smell the last 8-10 years. The OP is a
MORON!

Clams

Aug 27, 2010, 6:55:36 AM8/27/10
Derald wrote:

> "Bill" <billnoma...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>I've met some people who relate everything in their lives to movies! Try to
>>teach them something about dealing with other people or whatever and they
>>will say "Oh you mean like what so and so did in a certain movie?", Etc.
>
> Sad but true. I was employed in film production for many years but
> cannot convince a certain acquaintance that "The Perfect Storm" was not
> filmed under actual conditions. She is allowed to vote.

Sure. Next you're going to try to convince me that Titantic wasn't
filmed under actual conditions.