Broke? Go shopping!

Bill

Dec 11, 2009, 11:08:56 AM12/11/09
I know a young couple with two kids and they are very broke. The husband has
not been not working and they can't pay all their bills.

I tried suggesting options for them. Getting food stamps, help with their
heating bill, I told them where they could get free Christmas gifts for
their kids, etc.

So what do they do instead?

They go shopping and buy a new bike for one kid. Then go and buy a new
$16,000.00 car! (They got a relative to co-sign because they have bad
credit.)

Their old car is not running because they filled the radiator with water
rather than anti-freeze - it froze and burst the engine freeze plugs (this
can be repaired). The old car is paid for - no monthly bill.

Al

Dec 11, 2009, 7:28:48 PM12/11/09

So, invite them all over for Christmas dinner at your place. Now they
have dependable transportation. Maybe they will bring a present for
you.

Marsha

Dec 11, 2009, 7:44:51 PM12/11/09

I have relatives like that. Maybe we could match them up.

Marsha

Les Cargill

Dec 11, 2009, 9:04:22 PM12/11/09

Welcome to the United States. Only people who have no money
are allowed to spend the money they don't have. Those who have
money use it to construct fancy schemes to extract the money
that other people don't have from them. Then the people who
don't have any money stop paying them the money they don't
have, and the result is called "a financial panic".

It seems more complicated than it is. You'll get used to it.

--
Les Cargill

Rod Speed

Dec 11, 2009, 9:20:36 PM12/11/09
Les Cargill wrote
> Bill wrote

>> I know a young couple with two kids and they are very broke. The
>> husband has not been not working and they can't pay all their bills.

>> I tried suggesting options for them. Getting food stamps, help with
>> their heating bill, I told them where they could get free Christmas
>> gifts for their kids, etc.

>> So what do they do instead?

>> They go shopping and buy a new bike for one kid. Then go and buy a
>> new $16,000.00 car! (They got a relative to co-sign because they
>> have bad credit.)

>> Their old car is not running because they filled the radiator with
>> water rather than anti-freeze - it froze and burst the engine freeze
>> plugs (this can be repaired). The old car is paid for - no monthly bill.

> Welcome to the United States. Only people who have no money are allowed to spend the money they don't have.

Happens right thruout the entire world.

> Those who have money use it to construct fancy schemes to extract the money that other people don't have from them.
> Then the people who don't have any money stop paying them the money they don't have, and the result is called "a
> financial panic".

Like hell it is.

Les Cargill

Dec 11, 2009, 10:12:10 PM12/11/09

Rod.... See also "humor". See also Joseph Heller's seminal novel "Catch
22".

And, for the record, every financial panic since the Medici follows
exactly the recipe I just laid out. People who don't have money stop
paying the money they don't have to people they shouldn't owe it to
in the first place.

Now that.... that is frugal. Yo.

>> It seems more complicated than it is. You'll get used to it.

--
Les Cargill

Rod Speed

Dec 12, 2009, 12:06:03 AM12/12/09
Les Cargill wrote

> Rod Speed wrote
>> Les Cargill wrote
>>> Bill wrote

>>> Welcome to the United States. Only people who have no money are allowed to spend the money they don't have.

>> Happens right thruout the entire world.

>>> Those who have money use it to construct fancy schemes to extract
>>> the money that other people don't have from them. Then the people
>>> who don't have any money stop paying them the money they don't
>>> have, and the result is called "a financial panic".

>> Like hell it is.

> Rod.... See also "humor". See also Joseph Heller's seminal novel "Catch 22".

You werent joking with that other post elsewhere about financial panics.

> And, for the record, every financial panic since the Medici follows exactly the recipe I just laid out.

Like hell they did, most obviously with the current one and the 1929 crash.

> People who don't have money stop paying the money they don't have to people they shouldn't owe it to in the first
> place.

They havent stopped doing that, most obviously with credit cards.

Bill

Dec 12, 2009, 12:09:11 AM12/12/09
"Les Cargill" wrote in message

> Only people who have no money are allowed to spend the money
> they don't have. Those who have money use it to construct fancy
> schemes to extract the money that other people don't have from
> them. Then the people who don't have any money stop paying
> them the money they don't have, and the result is called "a financial
> panic".

That is great!

I think I'll print that out on stick it on the wall of my office. Thanks!