Sneaking Outside Food/Drink Into Movie Theatres?

Millhaven

Aug 30, 2011, 10:39:54 PM8/30/11
Anyone here ever do it?

The last time I went to the movies, popcorn was $6 and the drinking
fountain barely worked.

Fuck those greedy bastards.

Vic Smith

Aug 31, 2011, 9:30:13 AM8/31/11

That was always standard practice when I went to the drive-in for a
double feature. Fried chicken, pop.

For movie theatre double-features a can of pop in a pocket and maybe
some candy when I was a kid.

But a single feature as an adult?
Nope.
Besides, if their making good fresh popcorn, it's the best part.
You can't duplicate that at home.

--Vic

Bob F

Aug 31, 2011, 10:59:44 AM8/31/11

Maybe you can't.

Message has been deleted

Annie Woughman

Aug 31, 2011, 3:15:46 PM8/31/11

"Millhaven" <mill...@intergate.com> wrote in message

My kids used to do it all the time. It was easy for the girls--a bag of
M&M's or Reeses Pieces in the purse and no big deal. Usually they would
take pity on their brother and bring in a bag of something for him. They
could do a bottle of water or a can of soda if they took their big purses.
The last movie I saw in the theater was Home Alone back in 1995. I don't
mind waiting for them to come out on DVD or Netflix. However, I do refuse
to watch a movie on regular television when they put a 90 minute movie into
a three hour slot with eight minutes of commercials every five minutes.

Mac Cool

Sep 1, 2011, 3:01:46 AM9/1/11
Millhaven:

> Fuck those greedy bastards.

It's actually about the only way they make money.

SMS

Sep 1, 2011, 11:09:29 AM9/1/11

That's correct. Don't complain about the high concession stand prices
because the people that are buying $5 large sodas and $10 tubs of
popcorn are subsidizing the cost of you going to the movies with the $6
ticket you bought at Costco (just bought 20 of them). The theater keeps
all the money from concessions, but they have to send a significant
portion of the ticket price to the movie studios.

<http://www.amazon.com/Why-Popcorn-Costs-Much-Movies/dp/0387769994>

A significant number of movie patrons seem to bring their own food and
drinks into the movies, because of course you can't go for two hours
without eating junk food or drinking soda! I would usually buy popcorn
(the free refill tub) to share, but the popcorn at our local AMC theater
is awful. It's not an AMC thing in general, because other AMC theaters
have decent popcorn, it must be something with their machine.

The theaters have minimized their staffing levels and there is no one to
really enforce the ban on outside food, so as long as you're discrete
it's fine. I thought it was a little much when someone was popping their
own popcorn using an outlet in the restroom with a Westbend Stir Crazy
popper.

Of course with Redbox, we don't go to the movies all that much anymore,
but our kids do. Those 20 tickets should last a few years.

The Real Bev

Sep 2, 2011, 9:59:40 PM9/2/11
On 09/01/2011 08:09 AM, SMS wrote:

> On 9/1/2011 12:01 AM, Mac Cool wrote:
>> Millhaven:
>>
>>> Fuck those greedy bastards.
>>
>> It's actually about the only way they make money.
>
> That's correct. Don't complain about the high concession stand prices
> because the people that are buying $5 large sodas and $10 tubs of
> popcorn are subsidizing the cost of you going to the movies with the $6
> ticket you bought at Costco (just bought 20 of them).

OTOH, I can't remember the last movie I saw that I thought was worth
$6/family, much less $6/person. Might have been Terminator 2...

--
Cheers, Bev
"You can make a signature quote seem authoritative by

Michael Black

Sep 2, 2011, 11:15:34 PM9/2/11
On Fri, 2 Sep 2011, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 09/01/2011 08:09 AM, SMS wrote:
>
>> On 9/1/2011 12:01 AM, Mac Cool wrote:
>>> Millhaven:

>>> It's actually about the only way they make money.
>>
>> That's correct. Don't complain about the high concession stand prices
>> because the people that are buying $5 large sodas and $10 tubs of
>> popcorn are subsidizing the cost of you going to the movies with the $6
>> ticket you bought at Costco (just bought 20 of them).
>
> OTOH, I can't remember the last movie I saw that I thought was worth
> $6/family, much less $6/person. Might have been Terminator 2...

It was 2001 for me, and a free pass to see the premiere of "Tomb Raider".

I really never made a concious decision to stop going to movies. What
happened is they started up some Really Big Multiplexes (I can remember
when they started spreading 30 years ago, but they were nothing like the
new wave), and closed down all the familiar single or double theatres.
Somehow I wasn't interested in going into the new places, especially
because they were so big. If they'd kept the one theatre going that was
playing "just out of first run" movies for a couple of dollars, I would
have kept going, but they even sold it, even though they said at the time
it was still a viable business.

The longer it's been, the more distant theatres are. I dont' pay
attention to the reviews like I once did, an ad comes on tv and it doesnt'
matter to me one bit.

It's in that same decade that I actually started watching movies at home.
It wasn't till about 2003 that I got a DVD player (when they hit close to
the fifty dollar mark) and once I had it and started looking at movies on
DVD, I noticed the VHS movies were being cleared out. So I looked for a
VCR at a garage sale (found one some months later with manual and remote,
complete in the box for $20) and thus started buying VHS movies at garage
sales, for a couple of dollars or less. I'd rather have them on DVD
(smaller space, more durable) but I'm not fussy at this price. It's an
odd mix because it's so easy to get all the big hits, but I've found more
than enough lesser films. Of course, the source may be drying up, but
DVDs have gone down in price at garage sales, too.

Michael

The Real Bev

Sep 3, 2011, 1:07:25 AM9/3/11
On 09/02/2011 08:15 PM, Michael Black wrote:

> I'd rather have them on DVD
> (smaller space, more durable) but I'm not fussy at this price. It's an
> odd mix because it's so easy to get all the big hits, but I've found more
> than enough lesser films. Of course, the source may be drying up, but
> DVDs have gone down in price at garage sales, too.

$1 around here, and the ones we don't want we can generally sell to the
used DVD store for more than that. Lots more if it's something in
demand -- mostly TV series.

--
Cheers, Bev
"If the Eskimos have a thousand different words for "snow," does this

Shawn Hirn

Sep 3, 2011, 7:17:56 AM9/3/11
In article <j3s1mc$ung$1...@dont-email.me>,

The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/01/2011 08:09 AM, SMS wrote:
>
> > On 9/1/2011 12:01 AM, Mac Cool wrote:
> >> Millhaven:

> >> It's actually about the only way they make money.
> >
> > That's correct. Don't complain about the high concession stand prices
> > because the people that are buying $5 large sodas and $10 tubs of
> > popcorn are subsidizing the cost of you going to the movies with the $6
> > ticket you bought at Costco (just bought 20 of them).
>
> OTOH, I can't remember the last movie I saw that I thought was worth
> $6/family, much less $6/person. Might have been Terminator 2...

I cut the number of movies I see in the theaters way down. I much prefer
to watch a movie at home on my high def screen sitting on my comfortable
sofa.

Message has been deleted

Mrs Irish Mike

Sep 3, 2011, 2:04:36 PM9/3/11
On Sep 3, 4:17 am, Shawn Hirn <s...@comcast.net> wrote:

> I cut the number of movies I see in the theaters way down. I much prefer
> to watch a movie at home on my high def screen sitting on my comfortable

> sofa.-

Too bad you don't have Cinetopia. Leather recliners in the LIving
Room theaters. Digital Super High Definition Projection in every
theater. A popcorn bar where you can choose among 6 or 7 different
toppings, and put as much on as you want. Gourmet food delivered to
your seat. Ottoman for each seat to stretch out and put your feet up.
I paid $12 a ticket and didn't feel ripped off in the least.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/cinetopia-vancouver?start=40