Paean to Trader Joe's

watcher

Jan 1, 2011, 5:56:58 PM1/1/11
Back in the middle of December, we were at our local TJ's for something or
other, and while there, tried a sample of an Italian blue cheese. We liked it
enough to buy a wedge for New Year's Eve.
Comes the 31st and we haul it out of the back of the 'fridge where it's been
kept for the past few weeks and we open it up. The first thing we notice is
that the foil covering doesn't completely cover the cheese. Through the
opening we can see an unpleasant dull pink surface. However, we press on and
unwrap it to find that the entire surface is covered with this dull, moldy
material that smells disgusting. My wife leaps to the 'phone, calls the TJ's
and explains what we found to the manager. The manager says to bring it back
right away. They close at 6, but she'll be there until 7. We hop in the car
and go over. When we get there, the manager takes one look at the cheese and
immediately offers us a new one. Just to be sure, she opens it up and,
voila'!, it's just as bad as the one we bought. She opens another one after
that, and, once again, it's rotten. So, she gets one of her workers to collect
the whole bunch that are in the case and put them in the back. She then
offers us two different blue cheese wedges, which look and smell fine, and,
more importantly, cost together about twice what we paid, and, to top it off,
tells us to pick up a boucquet of roses as we go out!
I'd always heard that TJ's stands behind its products, but never had it
confirmed until now. As far as we're concerned, their service is tops.
Oh, and the replacement cheeses were delicious :-)

W.

--
son...@sdf.lonestar.org

The Real Bev

Jan 1, 2011, 11:55:42 PM1/1/11
On 01/01/11 14:56, watcher wrote:

> I'd always heard that TJ's stands behind its products, but never had it
> confirmed until now. As far as we're concerned, their service is tops.
> Oh, and the replacement cheeses were delicious :-)

I had to return some ammonia-flavored brie, and they were equally helpful.

OTOH, I think most purveyors of groceries are generous with returns of
merchandise, including stuff that you just didn't like. I once
mistakenly bought tofu "yogurt" because it was in the yogurt section and
'tofu' was printed in tiny letters. They took that back too. Nothing
wrong with it that I could tell, it was just nasty stuff...

--
Cheers, Bev
They keep talking about drafting a Constitution for Iraq. Why don't