anyone from UK?????

Chickenlady

May 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/11/99
Hi is anyone from the UK requenting this ng????? And do you have any tips?

thanks

charlie

A.Ferszt

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99

Hello...I live in London! My food-frugal tip (which has already been on
this ng) is to shop at 'ethnic' markets and groceries. Lots of the
things I use regularly are much cheaper and better quality than at
Sainsbury's and co.

Marietta May

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
Yes me Charlie, Sue Abrahams
I have just changed my logon name as I discovered my DH was reading my
messages on dejanews, I only try to save money on my housekeeping as my DH
and I are financially fairly secure. my problem is that I work full time in
our business and I don't receive a wage, I get housekeeping for food and
kids clothes etc, in theory everything else I want should come out of our
joint account, in practice my DH complains about everything I buy as he sees
it as unnecessary, his hobby is computers and he buys everything he wants
through the business. so what areas are you looking to economise in? I feed
a family of 6 (me, DH, DD17, DD15, DS21 and DS 12) on around £180 a month, I
could probably manage on less if I had more time at home, I can send you
recipes and other ideas if that is any help, let me know,
Sue
Chickenlady <Cha...@sutcliffe88.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

cle...@westminster.ac.uk

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
In article <37394A4F...@ic.ac.uk>,
"A.Ferszt" <a.fe...@ic.ac.uk> wrote:

> Chickenlady wrote:
> >
> > Hi is anyone from the UK requenting this ng????? And do you have
any tips?
> Hello...I live in London! My food-frugal tip (which has already been
on
> this ng) is to shop at 'ethnic' markets and groceries. Lots of the
> things I use regularly are much cheaper and better quality than at
> Sainsbury's and co.

Definitately seconded. I buy chick-peas from an
Indian supply shop in Kingsbury (North London). Costs
me two pounds for a pallet of 12 cans (regular size).
Basmati rice (ok, this isn't frugal) is just over
half the price in Sainsbury's, etc.

Other tips are to investigate the loss-leader
'value' brands in supermarkets. Most markets have
them, and they can be ridiculously cheap. E.g.
12 pence for 1.5 kilos of flour. Supermarkets
also do good bargains occasionally (two for the
price of one etc). I keep an eye out for these
and grab a number (if it's the kind of thing
that will last) of my favourite products when they
are discounted. Got dolmo's bolognaise (sp?) sauce
the other week, which is my favourite.

The el cheapo supermarkets such as Aldi (again
Kingsbury) can be good value too.
9 pence for a can of baked beans that are more or
less as good as the leading brands.

I've heard rumours that you can get cheap vegetables
in the markets at closing time, but when I've been
to them at the appropriate times, the choice hasn't
been good.

Any non-food tips? I've got to find a new place
to rent (3 beds) in Harrow/North London soon. How
do you find less expensive places to rent?

Just recently instead of buying soda and fizzy water
from my work's cafeteria, I've been buying in bulk
outside (same Indian shop as above) and bringing in
a can per day. Halves the cost.

Cheers,

Ross-c

cle...@westminster.ac.uk

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
In article <37394A4F...@ic.ac.uk>,
"A.Ferszt" <a.fe...@ic.ac.uk> wrote:
> Chickenlady wrote:
> >
> > Hi is anyone from the UK requenting this ng????? And do you have
any tips?

> Hello...I live in London! My food-frugal tip (which has already been
on
> this ng) is to shop at 'ethnic' markets and groceries. Lots of the
> things I use regularly are much cheaper and better quality than at
> Sainsbury's and co.

PS: I forgot to mention ... charity shops. The stuff
you can find is unbelievable. At the moment I'm wearing
quite new Pepe jeans bought for 4 quid, and a cotton
Principles sweater bought for 3.50. Back home I've got
lots of Armani, Versace, Jaegar, Boss, and other top
brands. I only go for the brands because it makes the
search a bit more challenging (I enjoy bargain hunting
rather than it being necessary). If you're not worried
about brand names (as I wouldn't be otherwise), then
you can clothe yourself for pennies. You've got to
search through a lot of shops, and I advise people
to not be too satisfied too quickly, but there are
huge numbers of bargains just waiting to be picked.
Non-clothes items can be found too.

Lech K. Lesiak

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
On Fri, 14 May 1999 cle...@westminster.ac.uk wrote:

> Definitately seconded. I buy chick-peas from an
> Indian supply shop in Kingsbury (North London). Costs
> me two pounds for a pallet of 12 cans (regular size).
> Basmati rice (ok, this isn't frugal) is just over
> half the price in Sainsbury's, etc.

Also true in Vancouver. My son lives in an area that has a a significant
number of East Indian owned greengrocers. Many of the fresh fruits and
vegetables are notably cheaper than at the regular chain grocery stores.
That doesn't seem to be true where I live, for some reason. The only
things that I buy in Asian stores in Calgary are items that I can't get in
the regular stores, e.g. green tea.

Cheers,
Lech

jeanbill

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
Also true on Long Island, NY, USA, except the ethnic stores here are
Hispanic.

Jeannie

andrea lea baker

May 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/18/99
to Cha...@sutcliffe88.freeserve.co.uk
Hi!

I'm not originally from the UK but I did live there for about 3 years.
Are there still squatters, particularly in London? That always seemed
like the ultimate in frugal living;-)

Andrea Baker

A.Ferszt

May 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/21/99
andrea lea baker wrote:

Yes there are still squatters, but it is getting harder and harder. Any
legal protection is being eroded and utility companies are getting more
reluctant to re-connect if a property has been vacant unless one can prove
a legal right to occupy the property. It can be frugal but can be risky,
as some owners are not above using nasty tactics to force squatters out.

nessshares

Jan 8, 2014, 11:52:44 PM1/8/14
On Tuesday, 18 May 1999 08:00:00 UTC+1, andrea lea baker wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm not originally from the UK but I did live there for about 3 years.
> Are there still squatters, particularly in London? That always seemed
> like the ultimate in frugal living;-)
>
> Andrea Baker

http://bambuser.com/v/4101256
This was the High Court Eviction of the Bohemia in November last year (2013) It was occupied by a group. They didn't get IPOes but the owner still hired out private bailifs and dogs etc to get them out. It's an interesting building, go past it if you get a chance, its on Finchley High Road.