AC cord bundled up bursts into flame

zeez

Jul 21, 2011, 11:36:00 PM7/21/11

Dustbin

Jul 22, 2011, 1:16:32 AM7/22/11
zeez wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&hl=en&client=mv-google&v=oJykaArHNMg

If you under-rate the cable for the job what do you expect?

Use heavier duty cable that will not get so warm.

If a cable gets warm in normal use it is insufficient to the task.

D.

Rod Speed

Jul 22, 2011, 6:12:53 AM7/22/11
Dustbin wrote
> zeez wrote

>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&hl=en&client=mv-google&v=oJykaArHNMg

Wrong, as always.

Jul 22, 2011, 9:58:07 AM7/22/11
On 7/22/2011 1:16 AM, Dustbin wrote:
> zeez wrote:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&hl=en&client=mv-google&v=oJykaArHNMg
>
> If you under-rate the cable for the job what do you expect?
>
> Use heavier duty cable that will not get so warm.

Did you see the thermography at the end where they compared it with an
unbundled cord. It's something to think about.

A cord that runs warm, runs a lot hotter when it not only has no where
for the heat to dissipate but is reinforced by the heat from other wires.

Plastic burns with a vengeance. I had a Melita coffee maker catch
fire, not something I want to see again!

Also, if you don't buy any Chinese made extension cords you won't
have a fire hazard, because you won't have any extension cords!

Jeff

Dustbin

Jul 22, 2011, 11:28:44 AM7/22/11
Explain.

D.

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Jul 22, 2011, 3:35:34 PM7/22/11
In article <KGgWp.14007$Zm3....@newsfe11.ams2>,
Dustbin <dustbin...@melvil.co.uk> wrote:

better protect your keyboard

Rod Speed

Jul 22, 2011, 6:53:01 PM7/22/11
Dustbin wrote

>> Wrong, as always.

> Explain.

There are plenty of cables for higher power devices like 2400W fan
heaters that get warmer when the heater is on than they would otherwise
be and that does not mean that the cable is insufficient to the task.

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Jul 22, 2011, 11:57:29 PM7/22/11
In article <98udag...@mid.individual.net>,
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

You mean that the cable actually heats up when being used as opposed to staying
room temperature when not? duh!

Dustbin

Jul 23, 2011, 2:51:26 AM7/23/11
It strikes me that any cable that gets warm in 'normal' use is insufficient.

If the cross-sectional area is adequate the resistance will be low
enough and the heat dissipation will be negligible. I would be very
unhappy if any cable of mine grew warm to the touch even when bundled
tightly as indicated in the video.

Any cable in principle gets warmer because it has resistance and
therefore dissipation (unless it is a superconductor ;-) ). But it must
not get warm to the touch - that already indicates that there is a
potential problem.

You may consider me overly cautious but I would say it is easy to leave
something switched on and come home to a burned down house... etc.

D.

MCP

Jul 23, 2011, 2:58:38 AM7/23/11

"Dustbin" <dustbin...@melvil.co.uk> wrote in message
You are quite right,Dustbin...ANY cable that gets hot is not up to carrying
the current that is being drawn and is therefore a potenial fire hazard.
I know a guy who used 2.5 mm cable to fit a 7kw shower and the cable melted
and nearly set his house on fire, what a plonker.

MCP

Rod Speed

Jul 23, 2011, 3:12:13 AM7/23/11
Dustbin wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Dustbin wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> Explain.

>> There are plenty of cables for higher power devices like 2400W fan
>> heaters that get warmer when the heater is on than they would otherwise be and that does not mean that the cable is
>> insufficient to the task.

> It strikes me that any cable that gets warm in 'normal' use is insufficient.

You're wrong. In spades with the house wiring for the higher powered
devices like the stove etc.

> If the cross-sectional area is adequate the resistance will be low enough and the heat dissipation will be negligible.

You're wrong, again.

> I would be very unhappy if any cable of mine grew warm to the touch even when bundled tightly as indicated in the
> video.

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you dont have a clue.

> Any cable in principle gets warmer because it has resistance and therefore dissipation (unless it is a superconductor
> ;-) ). But it must not get warm to the touch

That is just plain wrong.

> - that already indicates that there is a potential problem.

That is just plain wrong.

> You may consider me overly cautious

Just wrong.

> but I would say it is easy to leave something switched on and come home to a burned down house...etc.

You're just plain wrong when the cable meets the standards
requirement and gets warm with the higher powered devices.

Fortunately the standards operations understand the basics, even if you dont.

Rod Speed

Jul 23, 2011, 3:15:00 AM7/23/11

> You are quite right,Dustbin...

No he is not.

> ANY cable that gets hot

We arent discussing HOT.

> is not up to carrying the current that is being drawn and is therefore a potenial fire hazard.

> I know a guy who used 2.5 mm cable to fit a 7kw shower and the cable melted and nearly set his house on fire, what a
> plonker.

Irrelevant to the FACT that when the legal cable is used for
higher powered devices like stoves etc, they do indeed get
WARMER THAN WHEN THE DEVICE IS NOT TURNED ON.

Dustbin

Jul 23, 2011, 7:07:21 AM7/23/11
> the current that is being drawn and is therefore a potential fire hazard.

> I know a guy who used 2.5 mm cable to fit a 7kw shower and the cable melted
> and nearly set his house on fire, what a plonker.

Did he install the shower heater in Zone 0? ;-)

D.

MCP

Jul 23, 2011, 7:24:01 AM7/23/11

"Dustbin" <dustbin...@melvil.co.uk> wrote in message
Don't know about zone 0 but there was plenty of flashing lights from the
consumer unit when the trip melted. :-)

MCP

Dustbin

Jul 23, 2011, 7:51:02 AM7/23/11
Rod Speed wrote:
> Dustbin wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote
>>> Dustbin wrote

>>> There are plenty of cables for higher power devices like 2400W fan
>>> heaters that get warmer when the heater is on than they would otherwise be and that does not mean that the cable is
>>> insufficient to the task.
>
>> It strikes me that any cable that gets warm in 'normal' use is insufficient.
>
> You're wrong. In spades with the house wiring for the higher powered
> devices like the stove etc.
>
>> If the cross-sectional area is adequate the resistance will be low enough and the heat dissipation will be negligible.
>
> You're wrong, again.

Where did you learm Ohm's law.

The heat dissipation is the energy dissipation in the cable which is
I^2R. Reduce R and the enrgy dissipation (heat loss) is reduced.
Increase the cross-sectional area of the cable you should expect R to be
reduced.

>> I would be very unhappy if any cable of mine grew warm to the touch even when bundled tightly as indicated in the
>> video.
>

> Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you don't have a clue.

>> Any cable in principle gets warmer because it has resistance and therefore dissipation (unless it is a superconductor
>> ;-) ). But it must not get warm to the touch
>
> That is just plain wrong.

Obviously you hail from a different universe that does not observe the
same laws of physics as this one.

>> - that already indicates that there is a potential problem.
>
> That is just plain wrong.

Obviously you hail from a different universe that does not observe the
same laws of physics as this one.

>> You may consider me overly cautious
>
> Just wrong.

Cautious.

>> but I would say it is easy to leave something switched on and come home to a burned down house...etc.
>
> You're just plain wrong when the cable meets the standards
> requirement and gets warm with the higher powered devices.

It is not meeting required standards for a higher power device. It is
absurd to say that the cable meets the standard for a desk lamp and
therefore is expected to get warm for an immersion heater. What
non-sense. The cable must be rated for the device it is supplying.

> Fortunately the standards operations understand the basics, even if you don't.

What standards operations?

D.

Dustbin

Jul 23, 2011, 10:40:43 AM7/23/11

Zones 0, 1 and 2 are specifications for installation in bathrooms.

Zone 0 is in the bath or the shower basin.

Zone 1 is up to 2.25 metres above Zone 0; Zone 3 is above 2.25 mtrs
above Zone 0; or greater than 0.6 metres horizontally from Zone 0. All
techie stuff from BS 7671 - very appropriately acronymed ;-)

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_wiring_in_the_United_Kingdom#Bathrooms

D.

> MCP

Rod Speed

Jul 23, 2011, 2:30:57 PM7/23/11

>> You're wrong, again.

In school, well before you were even born, thanks.

> The heat dissipation is the energy dissipation in the cable which is
> I^2R. Reduce R and the enrgy dissipation (heat loss) is reduced.
> Increase the cross-sectional area of the cable you should expect R to
> be reduced.

Irrelevant to the FACT that using the standards approved cross sectional
area wire to higher powered devices like the stove will see that wire
warmer when the device is turned on than when it is not.

>>> I would be very unhappy if any cable of mine grew warm to the touch even when bundled tightly as indicated in the
>>> video.

>> Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you don't have a clue.

>>> Any cable in principle gets warmer because it has resistance and therefore dissipation (unless it is a
>>> superconductor ;-) ). But it must not get warm to the touch

>> That is just plain wrong.

> Obviously you hail from a different universe that does not observe the same laws of physics as this one.

Even someone as stupid as you should be able to grasp that with
your formula above, that even the wire of the correct cross section
for the current will get warmer when the device is powered than
when it is not.

>>> - that already indicates that there is a potential problem.

>> That is just plain wrong.

> Obviously you hail from a different universe that does not observe the
> same laws of physics as this one.

Even someone as stupid as you should be able to grasp that with
your formula above, that even the wire of the correct cross section
for the current will get warmer when the device is powered than
when it is not.

>>> You may consider me overly cautious

>> Just wrong.

> Cautious.

Just wrong, again.

And fortunately those who write the standards arent that stupid.

>>> but I would say it is easy to leave something switched on and come home to a burned down house...etc.

>> You're just plain wrong when the cable meets the standards
>> requirement and gets warm with the higher powered devices.

> It is not meeting required standards for a higher power device.

Wrong, as always.

> It is absurd to say that the cable meets the standard for a desk lamp and therefore is expected to get warm for an
> immersion heater.

Having fun thrashing that straw man ?

> What non-sense. The cable must be rated for the device it is supplying.

What I said, fool.

>> Fortunately the standards operations understand the basics, even if you don't.

> What standards operations?

The ones that specify what wire cross section must be used for higher powered devices like stoves etc.

Message has been deleted

The Expert

Jul 25, 2011, 12:12:12 PM7/25/11
In article <FiuWp.43920$29.2...@newsfe08.ams2>,
"MCP" <gf010...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

Natural Selection or a candidate for the "Darwin " award?
I would suggest using the heavier cord and the shorter the better. OK?
--
Karma, What a concept!

Andrew Usher

Jul 26, 2011, 8:32:14 AM7/26/11
Dustbin wrote:

> It strikes me that any cable that gets warm in 'normal' use is insufficient.
>
> If the cross-sectional area is adequate the resistance will be low
> enough and the heat dissipation will be negligible. I would be very
> unhappy if any cable of mine grew warm to the touch even when bundled
> tightly as indicated in the video.

Rod Speed is just quibbling of what 'warm' means. People do
bundle up cables like that, and the cable in the video was
clearly not up to the current it was carrying. But on the other
hand I know that line cords can get warm in use; it's only a
matter of how warm is acceptable.

> You may consider me overly cautious but I would say it is easy to leave
> something switched on and come home to a burned down house... etc.

Certainly.

Andrew Usher