OT: ODBII PC scanners

Jeff Thies

Feb 23, 2011, 6:41:05 AM2/23/11
I've been trying to get the girlfriends car ready for the emission
check and would like to look at the engine live data. There appear to be
a number of PC interfaces for the ODB connection. Here is one:

http://www.autotap.com/product.asp

Has anyone used any of these and any recommendation. On the frugal end
of the price scale would be preferable.

Jeff

Tony Hwang

Feb 23, 2011, 10:26:40 AM2/23/11

I've been using it long time. I use free shareware and laptop thru USB
hook up. I assembled interface in a small metal enclosure using a kit.
All my family car is Japanese so the coneector is ISO spec. Domestic
ones may have different connector.

Tony Hwang

Feb 23, 2011, 10:29:45 AM2/23/11

They are very useful. Try free shareare first. And domestic cars may have
different connector.

Tony Hwang

Feb 23, 2011, 11:36:31 AM2/23/11

Vic Smith

Feb 23, 2011, 1:03:19 PM2/23/11
On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 06:41:05 -0500, Jeff Thies <jeff_...@att.net>
wrote:

I haven't used them so don't have a recommendation on which would fit
your needs.
I don't know how your state checks emissions, but here in Illinois
they don't even put a sensor in the exhaust anymore for the later
ODBII cars. '96 and later I think. Just use their ODBII scanner.
The key to a scanner here is that it can clear codes.
You don't want to go to emissions testing with a stored intermittent
code.
Just did the test here last month and had my son check it with his
scanner a couple days before I went.
He cleared an intermittent EGR code.
That would have flunked me I think.
We have an older ODBII reader that would only read the code, but he's
got one that can clear them.
It's a "pricey" Snap-On, but he's a mech.
I'd talk to some pro mechs before I'd put any heavy money into
scanning equipment.
There's a lot of stuff on the "net" too.
There are also real "gotchas" with some older model ODBII cars
regarding the interfaces.
But I think the newer cars are pretty consistent.

--Vic

HeyBub

Feb 23, 2011, 5:15:00 PM2/23/11

Here's one for $60 that can also erase trouble codes.

http://www.harborfreight.com/can-obdii-code-reader-with-multilingual-menu-98568.html

Tony Hwang

Feb 23, 2011, 5:41:28 PM2/23/11

Even an El Cheapo VERY basic reader can clear code.

Jeff Thies

Feb 23, 2011, 8:17:12 PM2/23/11

Also doesn't show live data. Otherwise tempting.

Looking at this ($49):

http://www.obdpros.com/product_info.php?products_id=138

Firmware not upgradeable, but... would that happen? It's a few years old
now.

Tony, which one do you have? What software?

Jeff