Should we downsize our pets in order to be frugal?

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock

Jul 9, 2010, 9:57:42 AM7/9/10
It's no secret we live in a wasteful society of supersized cars/SUVs,
supersized homes, too much lighting, too much junk food, and too big
pets... Have you thought about the consequence of owning cat and dogs,
particularly those dogs that look like a horse?

Under the Wisdom of the Jungle (aka "the wise ways of the monks") it
makes sense to have no pet at all, support the wildlife and become
part of it. But for those of us who are forced to live in the cage
(due to the dangers out there, aka "the jungle"), it makes all the
sense in the world to have small pets such as parakeets and mice.

Your carbon footprint will be smaller, and so will be the shit left
behind. Your pocket will be full of one dollar bills too. And they are
so cute. I think they are a symbol of what we need to see in the world
at large, don't you agree?

THE WISE TIBETAN MONKEY SAYS

"Pocket pets make sense in an overcrowded world"

Message has been deleted

Jim A

Jul 9, 2010, 2:05:29 PM7/9/10
On 07/09/2010 02:57 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the

I'd rather not keep a cat, but my wife thinks otherwise!

I agree with you to some extent, but tbh most of us have bigger fish to
fry. If all that's left for us to do to save carbon is get rid of our
pets, the battle against global warming is probably won already.

--
www.slowbicyclemovement.org - enjoy the ride

Squashme

Jul 9, 2010, 2:17:06 PM7/9/10
On 9 July, 19:05, Jim A <j...@averyjim.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On 07/09/2010 02:57 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the
>

> Movement of Tantra-Hammock wrote:
> > It's no secret we live in a wasteful society of supersized cars/SUVs,
> > supersized homes, too much lighting, too much junk food, and too big
> > pets... Have you thought about the consequence of owning cat and dogs,
> > particularly those dogs that look like a horse?
>
> > Under the Wisdom of the Jungle (aka "the wise ways of the monks") it
> > makes sense to have no pet at all, support the wildlife and become
> > part of it. But for those of us who are forced to live in the cage
> > (due to the dangers out there, aka "the jungle"), it makes all the
> > sense in the world to have small pets such as parakeets and mice.
>
> > Your carbon footprint will be smaller, and so will be the shit left
> > behind. Your pocket will be full of one dollar bills too. And they are
> > so cute. I think they are a symbol of what we need to see in the world
> > at large, don't you agree?

> > THE WISE TIBETAN MONKEY SAYS
>
> > "Pocket pets make sense in an overcrowded world"
>
> >http://webspawner.com/users/BANANAREVOLUTION
>
> I'd rather not keep a cat, but my wife thinks otherwise!
>
> I agree with you to some extent, but tbh most of us have bigger fish to
> fry.

Sashimi would save on fuel.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock

Jul 9, 2010, 2:49:25 PM7/9/10

What you can do is:

a) Convince her of the need to get rid of the cat,

b) Feed the mice secretly.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock

Jul 9, 2010, 2:59:57 PM7/9/10
I don't deny there's an element of class struggle to all of this...

I go to this pet shop right on the borderline between Rich and Poor,
and the rich stick to the cat and dog isles.

How much is a fancy dog? How much a mouse?

What are the Rich trying to prove with a fancy dog? Next time I'll buy
a bald rat to scare them!

Jim A

Jul 9, 2010, 3:03:06 PM7/9/10
On 07/09/2010 07:49 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the

<g>

My earlier suggestion that we keep a nice little garter snake didn't go
down too well.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock

Jul 9, 2010, 3:10:27 PM7/9/10

Have you told her the cat has no natural predators in an urban
environment?

At least they should get rid of the feral cats, right? Has anyone
thought that the cats are full of protein?

Jim A

Jul 9, 2010, 4:02:01 PM7/9/10
On 07/09/2010 08:10 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the
Movement of Tantra-Hammock wrote:
> On Jul 9, 3:03 pm, Jim A<j...@averyjim.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 07/09/2010 07:49 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the
>>
>> Movement of Tantra-Hammock wrote:
>>
>>> What you can do is:
>>
>>> a) Convince her of the need to get rid of the cat,
>>
>>> b) Feed the mice secretly.
>>
>> <g>
>>
>> My earlier suggestion that we keep a nice little garter snake didn't go
>> down too well.
>>
>> --www.slowbicyclemovement.org- enjoy the ride
>
> Have you told her the cat has no natural predators in an urban
> environment?

No. I think that would only sound like reassurance that this one will
probably be with us for at least another ten years.

> At least they should get rid of the feral cats, right? Has anyone
> thought that the cats are full of protein?

Apart from the odd flea and nematode, no I don't suppose so!

Jeff Thies

Jul 9, 2010, 4:29:08 PM7/9/10
Tantra-Hammock wrote:
> It's no secret we live in a wasteful society of supersized cars/SUVs,
> supersized homes, too much lighting, too much junk food, and too big
> pets... Have you thought about the consequence of owning cat and dogs,
> particularly those dogs that look like a horse?
>
> Under the Wisdom of the Jungle (aka "the wise ways of the monks") it
> makes sense to have no pet at all, support the wildlife and become
> part of it. But for those of us who are forced to live in the cage
> (due to the dangers out there, aka "the jungle"), it makes all the
> sense in the world to have small pets such as parakeets and mice.

These aren't really pets you can get much enjoyment out of. They are
basically pets for people that can't have a real pet.

Jeff

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock

Jul 9, 2010, 4:36:00 PM7/9/10
On Jul 9, 4:29 pm, Jeff Thies <jeff_th...@att.net> wrote:
> His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of
>
> Tantra-Hammock wrote:
> > It's no secret we live in a wasteful society of supersized cars/SUVs,
> > supersized homes, too much lighting, too much junk food, and too big
> > pets... Have you thought about the consequence of owning cat and dogs,
> > particularly those dogs that look like a horse?
>
> > Under the Wisdom of the Jungle (aka "the wise ways of the monks") it
> > makes sense to have no pet at all, support the wildlife and become
> > part of it. But for those of us who are forced to live in the cage
> > (due to the dangers out there, aka "the jungle"), it makes all the
> > sense in the world to have small pets such as parakeets and mice.
>
> These aren't really pets you can get much enjoyment out of. They are
> basically pets for people that can't have a real pet.

A "real pet"? That could only be a monkey, but he would also be like a
brother.

Parakeets and mice are pets for all occasions. I have my mice sleeping
next to my computer in the daytime while the parakeets are up and
viceversa.

Forrest Hodge

Jul 9, 2010, 7:13:50 PM7/9/10
On 7/9/2010 4:36 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the
What do your mice and parakeet do for you? Do they have a practical
purpose? My dog (Lab) will pull the automatic pool vacuum out of the
water if I tell her to.

Bill Sornson

Jul 9, 2010, 7:51:00 PM7/9/10
Hell, just ban 'em:

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_15476512?nclick_check=1

(Google "san francisco pet ban" for a jillion or so more hits.)

BS (apparently not)

Jim A

Jul 10, 2010, 4:32:23 AM7/10/10
On 07/10/2010 12:13 AM, Forrest Hodge wrote:
> On 7/9/2010 4:36 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the
>> A "real pet"? That could only be a monkey, but he would also be like a
>> brother.
>>
>> Parakeets and mice are pets for all occasions. I have my mice sleeping
>> next to my computer in the daytime while the parakeets are up and
>> viceversa.
>>
> What do your mice and parakeet do for you? Do they have a practical
> purpose? My dog (Lab) will pull the automatic pool vacuum out of the
> water if I tell her to.

A pet doesn't need a purpose. What you have there is a working dog!

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock

Jul 10, 2010, 10:06:52 AM7/10/10

I think you need a slave, or at least a robot.

My pocket pets do this for me:

1- The keets sing,

2- They are colorful,

3- They inspire me to go outside where they go into ecstasy,

4- The mice inspire me to work out, but my bicycles are out of the
question, so I go into deep sleep in the hammock.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock

Jul 10, 2010, 10:08:06 AM7/10/10

A pet fills the void of a bad wife too.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock

Jul 10, 2010, 10:20:59 AM7/10/10
On Jul 10, 12:32 am, MajorOz <Majo...@centurytel.net> wrote:

> On Jul 9, 11:29 pm, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the
> Movement of Tantra-Hammock" <nolionnoprob...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Some people just stop short of owning a lion...

> >http://picture.funnycorner.net/funny-pictures/5987/this-dog-looks-lik...

> Good God.........there is actually some logic to this rant.

> oz

There is, there is... One reason is that birds around here are
terrorized or nowhere to be found because the feral cats are fed by
crazy ladies.

Solution? So many hungry people in the world don't know about the
protein value of cats. Do they have cats in Somalia or Haiti?

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock

Jul 11, 2010, 9:37:00 AM7/11/10

On Jul 11, 6:43 am, Trance Gemini <trancegemi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 6:42 AM, Trance Gemini <trancegemi...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 11:41 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator
> > of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock <comandante.ban...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> He'll be in Heaven when as much as you do. ;)
>
> > The problem in Canada is that kitty cats that are feral often can't survive
> > the winter because it is very cold and the city is dangerous for them as
> > well.
>
> > They need to go to a Shelter where they will be safe.
>
> > Did you know that kitty cats have settled near human populations for
> > thousands of years?
>
> > Probably because they know we will look after them ;-)
>
> http://archaeology.about.com/od/domestications/qt/cat.htm
>
> And they help us too by eating rats and mice!

True, but they also relative of the BIG PUSSYCAT...

http://www.hilariousheadlines.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/funny-lion-picture-4.jpg

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock

Jul 11, 2010, 12:00:53 PM7/11/10

On Jul 11, 9:53 am, Trance Gemini <trancegemi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 9:31 AM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of

> the Movement of Tantra-Hammock <comandante.ban...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 11, 6:43 am, Trance Gemini <trancegemi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Creator

> > do so

> > survive
> > as

> > >http://archaeology.about.com/od/domestications/qt/cat.htm
>
> > > And they help us too by eating rats and mice!
>
> > True, but they also relative of the BIG PUSSYCAT...
>
> >http://www.hilariousheadlines.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/funny-li...
>
> There are Pussy Cats and then there are Pussy Cats:

Sometimes is the female that rules!

Anyway, I'll tell you my beef against the cats, which is really
directed at this twisted Christian world...

1- There are hundreds of feral cats along the alley at the beach, fed
by old ladies. It sounds like CHARITY, right? ;)

2- An old lady comes and feeds the cats right on the inside cement
path to my apartment. She makes sure you have to bump into it. I
started pushing them aside in true Tibetan way, until I got to the
point of the Barbarian practice of throwing away the damn dirty dishes
--and now she puts a paper towel with food, which I scattered around
and threw in the garbage.

I mean, nobody get a ticket for doing stuff like that? What kind of
jungle is this that we have to live with the homeless, the feral cats,
and the old ladies on a crusade...

I mean, you want to walk around and not to step on cat's shit, or want
to see birds. In order to love the cats, you must also love the polar
bears and the other endangered species we wipe out with casual
disregard.

Reasons enough for a revolution. :)

Mike A Schwab

Jul 11, 2010, 8:00:21 PM7/11/10
On Jul 9, 2:10 pm, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the

Movement of Tantra-Hammock" <comandante.ban...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jul 9, 3:03 pm, Jim A <j...@averyjim.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > On 07/09/2010 07:49 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the
>
> > Movement of Tantra-Hammock wrote:
>
> > > What you can do is:
>
> > > a) Convince her of the need to get rid of the cat,
>
> > > b) Feed the mice secretly.
>
> > <g>
>
> > My earlier suggestion that we keep a nice little garter snake didn't go
> > down too well.
>
> > --www.slowbicyclemovement.org-enjoy the ride

> Have you told her the cat has no natural predators in an urban
> environment?
>
> At least they should get rid of the feral cats, right? Has anyone
> thought that the cats are full of protein?

Plenty of Asian restaraunts have,

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock

Jul 11, 2010, 10:03:20 PM7/11/10
On Jul 11, 8:00 pm, Mike A Schwab <mike.a.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 9, 2:10 pm, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the
> Movement of Tantra-Hammock" <comandante.ban...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 9, 3:03 pm, Jim A <j...@averyjim.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> > > <g>
>
> > > My earlier suggestion that we keep a nice little garter snake didn't go
> > > down too well.
>
> > > --www.slowbicyclemovement.org-enjoythe ride

> > Have you told her the cat has no natural predators in an urban
> > environment?
>
> > At least they should get rid of the feral cats, right? Has anyone
> > thought that the cats are full of protein?
>
> Plenty of Asian restaraunts have,

The would really do a necessary job in places infected with cats. The
Chinese sauces would mask any funny flavors.