Are we committing genocide by polluting the planet willfully?

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the Stop the Bullshit Campaign

Mar 16, 2011, 9:23:04 PM3/16/11
The word willfully is a tricky one. We range from being vaguely aware
of the problem to denying the problem to openly admitting the
destruction of the environment. The last position is where the willful
factor kicks in, the "evil" acting out in plain view, but it's the
only honest one.

All genocides in the past have a factor of the first two (the Germans
denying knowledge of the Holocaust) and some who obviously do it with
full knowledge. This time though we are threatening the species --our
own species-- and we deny others the capacity to assume personal
responsibility and do something to stop the collective suicide.

It can be something simple like RIDING A BIKE. Yes, this is something
YOU can do to change the world. Imagine a German citizen who refused
to be part of the Nazi army that brought so much misery to Europe.
That's an effective form of rebellion by any means. Assume somebody
chooses not to vote for more of the same in our so called "democratic"
elections. That's valid too.

Sure, you can become vegetarian, choose to recycle --not always
available-- or avoid packaging, but nothing beats the simplicity and
immediacy of solutions such as riding a bike. You sweat it. You live
it. And you refuse to feed the problem, something at the root of the
problem.

May this be a reminder to those who live in denial.

*** WE ARE COMMITTING GENOCIDE ***