Oakley gripe

The Real Bev

Feb 26, 2009, 9:35:46 PM2/26/09
I dropped a pair of M-frames on the ground (vinyl floor from 4 feet) and the
frame broke in half. No big loss since they were probably 50 cents at a yard
sale years ago, but (a) is this standard for $100+ sunglasses or (b) proof that
they were knockoffs?

I'll give superglue a chance, but I doubt it will work. Mostly it doesn't.

--
Cheers,
Bev

albu...@mailinator.com

Feb 26, 2009, 10:20:08 PM2/26/09

Sure, give the super glue a chance. I have never had the stuff work
for me either. I assume they are plastic if you intend to use glue
instead of solder.
The dollar store had a brazing kit for butt welding band saw blades. I
was so intrigued by the wire, flux, and fixture they were selling for
only a dollar that I purchased several packages for inventory. I found
that with MAP gas that kit would weld glasses together in a brittle
way that solder does not.
One trick with super glue is to blow humid air on the pieces before
putting them together.
Glad you only lost 50¢.

albu...@mailinator.com

Mar 3, 2009, 4:57:04 PM3/3/09
On Feb 26, 9:35 pm, The Real Bev <bashley...@gmail.com> wrote:

No one else is posting so I'll throw one more note in. If the frames
are plastic and they are old, the plastic has oxidized and lost the
plasticisers. When those chemicals leave, the remaining plastic is as
brittle as a dried brown leaf. That's why they would break when
dropped from such a low height. It could happen in as little as three
years and is hastened by exposure to the sun and since they are
sunglasses............

The Real Bev

Mar 3, 2009, 5:35:40 PM3/3/09
albu...@mailinator.com wrote:

> On Feb 26, 9:35 pm, The Real Bev <bashley...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I dropped a pair of M-frames on the ground (vinyl floor from 4 feet) and the
>> frame broke in half. No big loss since they were probably 50 cents at a yard
>> sale years ago, but (a) is this standard for $100+ sunglasses or (b) proof that
>> they were knockoffs?
>>
>> I'll give superglue a chance, but I doubt it will work. Mostly it doesn't.
>

> No one else is posting so I'll throw one more note in. If the frames
> are plastic and they are old, the plastic has oxidized and lost the
> plasticisers. When those chemicals leave, the remaining plastic is as
> brittle as a dried brown leaf. That's why they would break when
> dropped from such a low height. It could happen in as little as three
> years and is hastened by exposure to the sun and since they are
> sunglasses............

The superglue seems to have worked. The problem with a lot of sunglasses,
including these, is that they don't keep the overhead sun out of your eyes --
damn stuff sneaks in over the top. My favorites are really cheap ones from Big
Five -- large, lightweight and polarized lenses. I hope I never lose them or
scratch them so badly I can't use them.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Arguing on the internet is like running a race in the Special