cell phones for the "home-less"?

VFW

Aug 22, 2010, 10:09:20 AM8/22/10
I want to give a home-less woman an old phone no longer in service but
I've heard you can still call 911. is that true?
I see "dead" phones at yard sales. would they work?
--
Money! What a concept.

larry

Aug 22, 2010, 12:24:59 PM8/22/10
VFW wrote:
> I want to give a home-less woman an old phone no longer in service but
> I've heard you can still call 911. is that true?
> I see "dead" phones at yard sales. would they work?

If she gets almost any type of state or federal aid, she
could qualify for one of the free 200min/mo cell services.
It's the latest of the "lifeline" replacements paid for with
you federal or state universal service fund tax. Wireless
can now offer dialtone for less than the ilec wired
dialtone, the few that even offer wired home service anymore.

my...@inter.net

Aug 22, 2010, 12:39:50 PM8/22/10
On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 07:09:20 -0700, VFW <geor...@toast.net> wrote:

>I want to give a home-less woman an old phone no longer in service but
>I've heard you can still call 911. is that true?
>I see "dead" phones at yard sales. would they work?

the companies all have to let you call 911 any time. in nyc at least,
you can also get 'life-line service' for a cell phone, but i think it
costs $1/month. this is only a few calls, but it's better than
nothing. if she isn't together enough to get proof of income
[welfare, food stamps, maybe medicaid] or keep up monthly payments and
you want her to have it, you might be able to pay up front fo a year
for her.

VFW

Aug 22, 2010, 12:32:31 PM8/22/10
In article <2ccco.19029$st2....@newsfe09.iad>,
larry <la...@foobar.com> wrote:

why, thanks for the idea.

The Real Bev

Aug 22, 2010, 4:34:01 PM8/22/10
On 08/22/10 09:32, VFW wrote:

> In article<2ccco.19029$st2....@newsfe09.iad>,
> larry<la...@foobar.com> wrote:
>
>> VFW wrote:
>> > I want to give a home-less woman an old phone no longer in service but
>> > I've heard you can still call 911. is that true?
>> > I see "dead" phones at yard sales. would they work?

If they will hold a charge and actually work, yes. Unfortunately most
yard-sellers don't bother to charge their old phones before trying to
sell them. Nokias seem to be relatively bulletproof.

They frequently can't find the wall-warts for other electronic items
either. I conclude that just means they want to get rid of it without
actually throwing it in the trash and offer accordingly. Such offers
are generally accepted, and you can probably find a wall-wart around the
house that will work.

Just got a nice Casio 61-key keyboard for $5, and it runs on 6 aa-cells
too. We already had an appropriate wall-wart.

>> If she gets almost any type of state or federal aid, she
>> could qualify for one of the free 200min/mo cell services.
>> It's the latest of the "lifeline" replacements paid for with
>> you federal or state universal service fund tax. Wireless
>> can now offer dialtone for less than the ilec wired
>> dialtone, the few that even offer wired home service anymore.

Is a charger included, along with a list of people/businesses willing to
provide a charge? Not everyone is willing to let a homeless person come
in while his/her phone charges up.

--
Cheers, Bev
This is Usenet. We *are* the trained body for dealing

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted