Fry's Internet Price Matching

sms88

Jun 3, 2012, 12:56:15 PM6/3/12
I needed some digital camera batteries and could not wait for delivery
from Amazon or some other vendor, so I decided to try to use Fry's
Internet price matching (they have a big banner hanging on the front of
their Sunnyvale store touting this). Li-Ion camera batteries are an item
with enormous mark-ups and huge price differences between on-line and
brick and mortar.

I entered the store with low expectations, and some printouts from Amazon.

Well the bottom line is that Fry's will honor their policy, but it's a
time-consuming process. If the Internet price is more than 5% cheaper
(and who would bother for just 5%) then a store manager needs to approve
the price match. If there's no store manager available, you have to buy
the item at full price then go to the returns desk where they are able
to credit the difference back to your account without a store manager
present. For Li-Ion batteries, Fry's typically charges at least 100%
more than Amazon or Adorama for a name-brand after-market battery.

I bought one Lenmar LIC511 (Canon BP511). Adorama has it for $10.95 with
free shipping <http://www.adorama.com/LRLIC511.html>. It's $27.99 at
Fry's <http://www.frys.com/product/2988635>. So Fry's charges 173% more
than Adorama. Not the greatest BP511 after-market battery in terms of
capacity, but it's okay (1500mAh versus a claimed 2000mAH on some others).

I bought one Bower XPDC5L (Canon NB5L). Amazon has it for $6.77. Fry's
price is $12.99, only 92% more than Amazon.

They will price match only with "reputable" sellers. Amazon and Adorama
are two, I suspect that B&H, Newegg, and Buy.com are also on the list.
It only applies to items actually supplied by these companies, not other
companies that sell through them. They take into account shipping
charges, but all the items I bought had free shipping.

I imagine that if too many people asked for price matches that they'd
have to discontinue the policy since it requires so many resources in
terms of personnel.

root

Jun 3, 2012, 2:30:03 PM6/3/12
For me the price-matching procedure at Fry's has been taken care of
in the department before I ever get in the checkout line. Never been
any trouble at all: they go online right there and check the price.
Fry's will give you a list of the recognized sites they will match.

sms88

Jun 3, 2012, 3:50:32 PM6/3/12
On 6/3/2012 11:30 AM, root wrote:

> For me the price-matching procedure at Fry's has been taken care of
> in the department before I ever get in the checkout line. Never been
> any trouble at all: they go online right there and check the price.
> Fry's will give you a list of the recognized sites they will match.

The salesperson in the department said that the price difference was too
great for him to be able to approve it himself. If it's greater than a
specific percentage then it needs to be approved by a higher-up.

The Henchman

Jun 8, 2012, 9:19:07 PM6/8/12
Perhaps certain locations have to own matching policies and who is
authourised to make them...

Beaver Fever

Feb 25, 2021, 12:15:28 AM2/25/21
RIP Fry's