best deal on pierogies?

OhioGuy

Oct 7, 2009, 5:34:08 PM10/7/09
Can anyone point me towards a national grocery chain deal on pierogies? I
used to stock up on a 16 ounce bag for $1 at Deal$, but they no longer carry
that brand. Now they have a 14 ounce bag of another brand for $1.50. It
kind of seems like an insult, with them raising the price 50%, and at the
same time decreasing the package size.

Anyway, I LOVE pierogies, but I'm not sure what is considered a good deal
on them any more, and would appreciate some pointers.

Mrs Irish Mike

Oct 7, 2009, 6:33:06 PM10/7/09

Pierogies are good, especially if you make them yourself. I just have
to wonder what is in something that is processed, packaged and frozen
AND sells for less than a buck a pound. There are very few foods these
days that sell for a buck a pound, let alone something I want to put
in my stomach.

Here is a recipe for pierogies that is easy. It takes about an hour,
but you can make lots for freezing. And you can control the quality.
http://pittsburgh.about.com/od/recipes/r/pierogies.htm

Vic Smith

Oct 7, 2009, 7:57:27 PM10/7/09
On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 15:33:06 -0700 (PDT), Mrs Irish Mike
<wilm...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Oct 7, 2:34?pm, "OhioGuy" <n...@none.net> wrote:
>> ? Can anyone point me towards a national grocery chain deal on pierogies? ?I

>> used to stock up on a 16 ounce bag for $1 at Deal$, but they no longer carry

>> that brand. ?Now they have a 14 ounce bag of another brand for $1.50. ?It

>> kind of seems like an insult, with them raising the price 50%, and at the
>> same time decreasing the package size.
>>

>> ? Anyway, I LOVE pierogies, but I'm not sure what is considered a good deal

>> on them any more, and would appreciate some pointers.
>
>Pierogies are good, especially if you make them yourself. I just have
>to wonder what is in something that is processed, packaged and frozen
>AND sells for less than a buck a pound. There are very few foods these
>days that sell for a buck a pound, let alone something I want to put
>in my stomach.
>
> Here is a recipe for pierogies that is easy. It takes about an hour,
>but you can make lots for freezing. And you can control the quality.
>http://pittsburgh.about.com/od/recipes/r/pierogies.htm

Looks good, but a couple comments.
Wife (a Polka) uses farmer's cheese instead of cheddar.
Real Polacks never heard of cheddar.
They can be put in a strainer after boiling, then served.
We only fry what's left over and gone cold. I like fresh best.
Try chopping and frying some bacon to pour over them.

--Vic

Message has been deleted

George

Oct 7, 2009, 7:13:32 PM10/7/09
Mrs Irish Mike wrote:
> On Oct 7, 2:34 pm, "OhioGuy" <n...@none.net> wrote:
>> Can anyone point me towards a national grocery chain deal on pierogies? I
>> used to stock up on a 16 ounce bag for $1 at Deal$, but they no longer carry
>> that brand. Now they have a 14 ounce bag of another brand for $1.50. It
>> kind of seems like an insult, with them raising the price 50%, and at the
>> same time decreasing the package size.
>>
>> Anyway, I LOVE pierogies, but I'm not sure what is considered a good deal
>> on them any more, and would appreciate some pointers.
>
> Pierogies are good, especially if you make them yourself. I just have
> to wonder what is in something that is processed, packaged and frozen
> AND sells for less than a buck a pound. There are very few foods these
> days that sell for a buck a pound, let alone something I want to put
> in my stomach.

Totally agree. Those industrial versions are pretty bad and belong in
school cafeterias and big box restaurants.

> Here is a recipe for pierogies that is easy. It takes about an hour,
> but you can make lots for freezing. And you can control the quality.
> http://pittsburgh.about.com/od/recipes/r/pierogies.htm

They really aren't that hard to make and the home made versions are 100
times better than the industrial versions.

George

Oct 7, 2009, 7:19:13 PM10/7/09

I like a little scoop of caramelized onions on boiled pierogies.

You are right about the cheese. We have a big Polish/Ukranian/Russian
population here so there are lots of great variations such as cabbage
and mushroom and the various fruit filled versions.

Lou

Oct 7, 2009, 9:55:31 PM10/7/09
I wouldn't characterize making them as easy - like anything, you get better
with practice, but making a batch big enough for a family meal with enough
left over for freezing can easily consume an afternoon. Homemade are far
better than any I've ever seen in a store, though.

The other point is that "pierogies" is a barbarism - I don't care how often
or from how many sources you see it. "Pierogi" is the plural - if you have
just one, it is a "pierog".

Message has been deleted

jeff

Oct 7, 2009, 10:44:21 PM10/7/09
Azz Pizz wrote:
> "OhioGuy" <no...@none.net> wrote in
>
>> Anyway, I LOVE pierogies, but I'm not sure what is considered a good
>> deal
>> on them any more, and would appreciate some pointers.
>

> Lol I just had some! My mom bakes them instead of frying, and somehow it's
> less fat. Doesn't taste that way though!

So does my girlfriend. Seemed a little odd at first, but they taste
fine. I do like the caramelized onions (which is not a byproduct of
baking), and some sour cream...

Jeff