paid $10.99 shipping on $9.99 SD card

Ohioguy

Nov 4, 2009, 11:14:02 PM11/4/09
Recently, we had our ~1 year old digital camera stolen, so I went
back to ecost.com, to purchase another refurbished one for $99 plus
ship. They charge $10.99 for shipping. It seemed a little high, but
that's only about 11% of the order total, so I figured ok. I also added
on a 4GB class 6 SD card for $9.99 The camera said "temporarily out of
stock", but let me add it to the cart and purchase it.

Well, they decided to ship the SD card, and cancelled the camera part
of my order. Now I have evidently paid $11 to ship a $10 item the size
of a postage stamp. I'm rather annoyed, to put it mildly. As a rule, I
never, ever pay more than 50% of the cost of an item in shipping - I
find it locally instead of paying more than that.

Do I have any recourse?

Rod Speed

Nov 4, 2009, 11:35:28 PM11/4/09
Ohioguy wrote:

Worth telling them that story like that and see if they will do anything about it.

They may consider it too trivial to bother with tho.

zxcvbob

Nov 4, 2009, 11:50:47 PM11/4/09

Don't tell them a sob story. Nobody wants to hear that.

Just tell 'em you have no use for the card without the camera, and
if they had contacted you when they canceled the camera you would
have canceled the card too. Then politely tell them (don't ask)
that you are returning the SD card and expect a full refund. If
they give you any guff, you call the credit card company and have
them issue a "charge back".

Bob

Al

Nov 5, 2009, 11:35:13 AM11/5/09

It sounds like you are posting prematurely or incompletely.
Have you contacted them?
Have they separately reinstated the camera order? Did you request that
with no shipping?
Boy, you sure have plenty of trouble with cameras.

Cindy Hamilton

Nov 5, 2009, 12:53:07 PM11/5/09
On Nov 4, 11:14 pm, Ohioguy <n...@none.net> wrote:

What would you have paid locally for an SD card? More than $20.98
plus sales tax?

spendwize.com

Nov 5, 2009, 3:42:32 PM11/5/09

xxxxo
-------------------------------------
Ohioguy wrote:

Of course you have recourse. Complain to the company! When they cancelled
the camera, they should have notified you and given you the option to redo
your entire order. if they did not do so, then you should return the card
at their postage expense (ask for aN RTV number) and tell them you want
all the expense associated with the card refunded.

Delivered via http://www.spendwize.com http://www.spendwize.com/groups/
Consumer News and Discussions Platform of the Net
misc.consumers.frugal-living - 38180 messages and counting!

Warren Block

Nov 5, 2009, 5:17:51 PM11/5/09
Ohioguy <no...@none.net> wrote:
> Recently, we had our ~1 year old digital camera stolen, so I went
> back to ecost.com, to purchase another refurbished one for $99 plus
> ship.

Yikes, they're 2.25 out of 10 on resellerratings.

> They charge $10.99 for shipping. It seemed a little high, but
> that's only about 11% of the order total, so I figured ok. I also added
> on a 4GB class 6 SD card for $9.99 The camera said "temporarily out of
> stock", but let me add it to the cart and purchase it.
>
> Well, they decided to ship the SD card, and cancelled the camera part
> of my order. Now I have evidently paid $11 to ship a $10 item the size
> of a postage stamp. I'm rather annoyed, to put it mildly. As a rule, I
> never, ever pay more than 50% of the cost of an item in shipping - I
> find it locally instead of paying more than that.
>
> Do I have any recourse?

Enter a review for ecost on resellerratings.com and describe the
problem. They have someone reading those and responding, but if their
rating is already that low it may mean they're not too worried about
keeping customers happy.

Message has been deleted

Al

Nov 6, 2009, 7:21:02 AM11/6/09
On Nov 6, 6:51 am, Shawn Hirn <s...@comcast.net> wrote:
> In article <pisIm.3122$Sw5.2...@newsfe16.iad>, Ohioguy <n...@none.net>
> What response did you get when you contacted eCost.com with your
> complaint?

This is OG. He usually leaves critical facts out of the post for some
reason.
I went to ecost and they had 500+ cameras at $100 or less and not a
single one of them showed out of stock. How did OG even find one out
of stock, much less pick that over hundreds others?
He leaves us spinning our wheels by jumping to early conclusions.

Bc112

Nov 6, 2009, 8:00:45 AM11/6/09

He has trouble with everything.

I've never seen a person so inept at just about everything.

Al

Nov 6, 2009, 10:13:32 AM11/6/09

And he never reveals the follow up where he ends up spending more than
people who never try to save. He will try to bargain for 5-6 pepper
seeds through the mail and blow $150 on a Windows XP that won't
validate and so forth. It goes on and on and the other groups have fun
with him too. At times he purports to be somewhat computer savvy and
then he reveals a tremendous lack of knowledge of his own computer.
He changes names on the various groups, but mistakenly left his
complete name and address in one place. The story I liked best is
where he defended his use of the newly purchased beat-up $500 Ford van
for a long distance family vacation by saying someone told him that in
a nuclear attack, the electronics on that old van would still somehow
function. Fifteen people in this group almost had to go for emergency
hernia surgery from laughing so hard.

Rod Speed

Nov 6, 2009, 10:25:15 AM11/6/09

He does appear to have worked out how to change houses quite effectively.

Assuming it doesnt all go pear shaped before he moves in, anyway.

Rod Speed

Nov 6, 2009, 10:28:07 AM11/6/09

He did with the house change.

> He will try to bargain for 5-6 pepper
> seeds through the mail and blow $150 on a Windows XP that won't
> validate and so forth. It goes on and on and the other groups have fun
> with him too. At times he purports to be somewhat computer savvy and
> then he reveals a tremendous lack of knowledge of his own computer.
> He changes names on the various groups, but mistakenly left his
> complete name and address in one place. The story I liked best is
> where he defended his use of the newly purchased beat-up $500 Ford van
> for a long distance family vacation by saying someone told him that in
> a nuclear attack, the electronics on that old van would still somehow
> function. Fifteen people in this group almost had to go for emergency
> hernia surgery from laughing so hard.

True, but that does provide some light relief.

Message has been deleted

Ohioguy

Nov 7, 2009, 11:21:23 AM11/7/09
>Have you contacted them?
>Have they separately reinstated the camera order? Did you request that

Yes, I contacted them at the appropriate email address about my
issue. I explained that, without a camera, I have no use for the card.
After 3 days, I have heard nothing back other than the automated email
they send out to let you know they got your email...

Ohioguy

Nov 7, 2009, 11:23:15 AM11/7/09
> I've never seen a person so inept at just about everything.

That's because most people try to "hide" their mistakes. Sort of
like how people brag about it when they do well in the stock market, but
don't mention it to people when they lose money on a stock.

Rather than hiding mine, I enjoy writing, learning and hearing the
opinions of others on how they would deal with a similar situation.

zxcvbob

Nov 7, 2009, 11:41:11 AM11/7/09

Most companies (in my experience) ignore emails. You will get much
better results calling them on the phone, or sometimes by using the
"online chat" link on their webpage.

Bob

Ohioguy

Nov 7, 2009, 11:53:42 AM11/7/09
He will try to bargain for 5-6 pepper seeds through the mail and blow
$150 on a Windows XP that won't validate and so forth.

I try to bargain on EVERYTHING. If you don't try, you always end up
paying retail. Yes, I have been involved in trading seeds online. Many
times, I have helped out people who want seeds I have, and I've avoided
having to pay for new seeds myself. It's called the barter system.

Regarding the Windows XP, it actually didn't NEED to validate. It
was evidently a corporate version of XP Professional that was meant to
be installed on many computers. I bought it for an amount that I
thought was legit, but it turned out to be a pirate copy. Tried to get
a refund, but the guys who sold it to me were long gone. It actually
worked out fine, though - I often upgrade my hardware, and my
understanding is that a regular copy of Windows XP will assume you
backed it up and installed it on a new PC if too many changes are made.
I avoided all of that, since the XP Pro didn't care. Plus, when I
preordered Windows 7 upgrade for $53 shipped at Best Buy recently, it
didn't care that my old XP Pro wasn't legit - it allowed me to do a full
install of Windows 7 Home Premium.

> At times he purports to be somewhat computer savvy and

Well, at one time I did have a pretty good understanding of DOS and
Windows '95. I even got my CompTIA A+ certificate as part of my tech
support job at Systemax. However, things keep changing, and it is
difficult to keep up with all of the changes all the time.

>then he reveals a tremendous lack of knowledge of his own computer.

Revealing a lack of knowledge is how people learn - by asking
questions. The alternative would be acting like a know-it-all, and
rarely learning. I prefer the former.

>He changes names on the various groups, but mistakenly left his
>complete name and address in one place.

Actually, I've gone by OhioGuy for several years, and intend to keep
doing so. When I initially changed ISP's a while back, I may have
posted a couple of times with another one, but I can't really remember.
Anyway, I used to simply use my email address, but I started getting
WAY too much spam. Yes, I did post my whole name and address at one
point, but that will be out of date in about 6 weeks, after we move.
All I can say is that for a minute, I regressed to an earlier age, when
I wasn't worried about spammers & such.

> saying someone told him that in a nuclear attack, the electronics on
>that old van would still somehow function.

interesting read here:
http://www.futurescience.com/emp.html
<excerpt>
"In the old Dark Angel television series, an EMP attack is supposed to
have occurred on June 1, 2009, and the vehicles appear to be mostly
pre-1980 and post-2009 models. There is a good reason for this. Many
conventional gasoline vehicles produced since around 1980 may not
function after an EMP attack due to their dependence upon electronics.
This would obviously produce a huge problem for the United States after
an EMP attack. Merely moving disabled vehicles off the road would be a
major undertaking. Disabled traffic lights would add to the traffic
problems."

Now, granted, I don't know for CERTAIN that this thing would still
run - it depends a lot on where the warheads strike. For example, if
they strike close, the van and I would be vaporized, so no, the van
wouldn't run. However, my argument was mostly from the standpoint that
the van is much simpler and more durable than most of today's vehicles.
Since it was put together in 1968, it has no computer chips or small
electronics that it depends on. Many things that are done electrically
in newer vehicles, such as the windows and locks, are done manually on
the van.

Ohioguy

Nov 7, 2009, 12:03:32 PM11/7/09
>I went to ecost and they had 500+ cameras at $100 or less and not a
>single one of them showed out of stock. How did OG even find one out
>of stock, much less pick that over hundreds others?

Sure, they have PLENTY of cheap cameras, but I wanted the same thing
that we had previously. I use the camera to take photos to go along
with the articles I submit to magazines, and often I get paid an extra
$50-$100 if I include photos they can use along with the article.

However, I can't just use any cheap camera. Most of the sub-$100
cameras I see don't have anything close to the 10x optical zoom that
lets me get decent photos of things that don't happen to be very close
to me. The Fujifilm Finepix S700 is one of the less expensive cameras
I've found that offers what I need. Most of what I need is a good
optical zoom. However, I'm also used to the intuitive controls on the
S700 after using it for more than a year, so it is worth it for me to
try to find a refurb unit that I can get an extended warranty on. The
fact that the entire zoom apparatus is enclosed on this camera is also a
big plus, because I can use filters and other lenses, much like a more
expensive SLR camera.

Al

Nov 7, 2009, 6:32:58 PM11/7/09

Their terms say that they have 30 days to complete an order so three
days is not sufficient.
They also say they do not guarantee that items will be in stock. If
they don't fix it, I agree you got screwed and should cancel the
charge on your credit card.

I appreciate your coming back with answers to all the questions and
comments. Many people don't have the gumption to do that.

Al

Nov 7, 2009, 8:33:49 PM11/7/09

As I stated elsewhere, I appreciate you coming back to answer
comments. Some of your answers are clearly not true though. You have
posted under many many names. This is how I spotted your complete name
and address. And how dumb could you possibly be to think your NEW
address would not be a matter of public record? You are not exactly in
the witness protection program. I don't give a crap who you are. I'm
just saying you act and post without thinking or knowing sometimes.
Defending the 1968 van is really not that funny after the tenth time
either.