Rice cooker which switches to OFF

aesthete8

Jul 13, 2010, 10:22:11 PM7/13/10
Most r.c.'s seem to switch to WARM after the rice gets cooked.

I need one which shuts off.

Any suggestions?

Cindy Hamilton

Jul 14, 2010, 1:22:55 PM7/14/10

Rice is pH-neutral and is among the more dangerous
foods to hold between 40 and 140 F. You probably
won't find one that shuts off.

Why do you want this feature?

Cindy Hamilton

SMS

Jul 14, 2010, 9:30:11 PM7/14/10

I'd be surprised if such a thing exists, just for liability reasons.

A countdown timer with switched outlet would be about the best you could
do. The best would be something like this
"http://www.amazon.co.uk/60min-Timer-Socket-Switches-Countdown/dp/B001N982R0"
but I don't think they are available in 110V models in the U.S.

This one
"http://www.thegreathardwarestore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=825205&click=2744"
is available but the minimum time is 2 hours.

Jeff Thies

Jul 15, 2010, 4:57:06 PM7/15/10
Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Jul 13, 10:22 pm, aesthete8 <art...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Most r.c.'s seem to switch to WARM after the rice gets cooked.
>>
>> I need one which shuts off.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Rice is pH-neutral and is among the more dangerous
> foods to hold between 40 and 140 F. You probably
> won't find one that shuts off.

Never thought of that, what are safe temperatures to keep at? Can you
keep rice refrigerated?

I ask that because I have been thinking of eating more rice and the
cookers all make more rice than I would eat at a meal.

For the OP. These devices are dead simple. You can take them apart
easily and disconnect the warming. There ain't much in there.

Jeff
Who at one time or another has been inside almost every appliance.

frie...@zoocrewphoto.com

Jul 15, 2010, 7:45:48 PM7/15/10
On Jul 15, 1:57 pm, Jeff Thies <jeff_th...@att.net> wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Jul 13, 10:22 pm, aesthete8 <art...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Most r.c.'s seem to switch to WARM after the rice gets cooked.
>
> >> I need one which shuts off.
>
> >> Any suggestions?
>
> > Rice is pH-neutral and is among the more dangerous
> > foods to hold between 40 and 140 F.  You probably
> > won't find one that shuts off.
>
>    Never thought of that, what are safe temperatures to keep at? Can you
> keep rice refrigerated?

Below 40 and above 140 :)

You can refrigerate it. Just make sure you don't shove it in the
fridge in one huge lump, or the center won't cool down fast enough. If
you have a fairly full rice cooker bowl, then dish part of it out so
that it isn't too deep. Or give it a really good stir after an hour.

I usually make a full rice cooker amount and then refrigerate the
leftovers for casseroles or whatever. I also let it warm for a lot
longer as I prefer less sticky rice. I don't like it when it first
says it is ready.

Lou

Jul 15, 2010, 8:37:33 PM7/15/10

> > On Jul 13, 10:22 pm, aesthete8 <art...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Most r.c.'s seem to switch to WARM after the rice gets cooked.
> >>
> >> I need one which shuts off.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions?

Is there something wrong with a pot on the stovetop?

Jul 15, 2010, 9:41:58 PM7/15/10

"Lou" <lpo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Apparently. Whatever. Grain is poison.

The Real Bev

Jul 15, 2010, 11:10:05 PM7/15/10

That's what my mom thought, but she used Uncle Ben's Converted Rice. We use
mostly short-grain brown rice, which tastes much better. One unit of rice, two
and a half units of water, push the switch and forget about it for an hour.
What could be better? I'm not the kind of person who can leave something
cooking on the stove without checking it every once in a while. The cooker
does all the worrying for me :-)

If you leave the rice in the cooker overnight it ferments or something and gets
nasty and slimy. It gets hard in the refrigerator, but softens up if you add a
little water and microwave it for an appropriate time.

--
Cheers, Bev

Cindy Hamilton

Jul 16, 2010, 1:39:45 PM7/16/10
On Jul 15, 4:57 pm, Jeff Thies <jeff_th...@att.net> wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Jul 13, 10:22 pm, aesthete8 <art...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Most r.c.'s seem to switch to WARM after the rice gets cooked.
>
> >> I need one which shuts off.
>
> >> Any suggestions?
>
> > Rice is pH-neutral and is among the more dangerous
> > foods to hold between 40 and 140 F.  You probably
> > won't find one that shuts off.
>
>    Never thought of that, what are safe temperatures to keep at? Can you
> keep rice refrigerated?

The general rule for any food is to keep it between 40 and 140 for no
more than an hour or two.

In the refrigerator, bacterial growth is slowed but not stopped.
Other
factors can inhibit bacterial growth (like acidity). Rice, however,
is a nearly perfect culture medium for bacteria.

I got the following from http://www.ochef.com/971.htm, but I think
it's too lenient about the time you can keep rice in the fridge.

There is a form of bacteria (bacillus cereus) that occurs naturally in
many samples of uncooked rice. It can survive the cooking process and
multiply to harmful levels if the rice is allowed to cool for an
extended period without refrigeration. Leftover cooked rice should be
placed in a shallow container to allow it to cool quickly, and stored
in the refrigerator for up to a week or in the freezer for half a year
or more.

Most other sites recommend 3 days for any leftovers. I violate
that often, but not with rice.

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Jul 16, 2010, 1:40:29 PM7/16/10
On Jul 15, 9:41 pm, "h" <tmcl...@searchmachine.com> wrote:
> "Lou" <lpog...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Do you really think that by reiterating "grain is poison",
you'll pursuade ANYBODY to give it up? You sound
like a nutbar.

234

Jul 16, 2010, 3:00:01 PM7/16/10
Jeff Thies wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Jul 13, 10:22 pm, aesthete8 <art...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Most r.c.'s seem to switch to WARM after the rice gets cooked.
>>>
>>> I need one which shuts off.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Rice is pH-neutral and is among the more dangerous
>> foods to hold between 40 and 140 F. You probably
>> won't find one that shuts off.

> Never thought of that, what are safe temperatures to keep at?

Its likely that is radically overstated. The Jap army didnt bother
with crap like that during WW2 and it didnt cause any problems.

> Can you keep rice refrigerated?

Yep, works fine.

> I ask that because I have been thinking of eating more rice and the cookers all make more rice than I would eat at a
> meal.

Fridge is fine. It actually produces a better result with fried rice etc.

Rod Speed

Jul 16, 2010, 3:08:08 PM7/16/10

Yes, its more trouble than in the microwave or with a rice cooker.

Cindy Hamilton

Jul 16, 2010, 3:33:31 PM7/16/10
On Jul 16, 3:00 pm, "234" <2...@45.com> wrote:
> Jeff Thies wrote:
> > Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> Rice is pH-neutral and is among the more dangerous
> >> foods to hold between 40 and 140 F.  You probably
> >> won't find one that shuts off.
> >   Never thought of that, what are safe temperatures to keep at?
>
> Its likely that is radically overstated. The Jap army didnt bother
> with crap like that during WW2 and it didnt cause any problems.

Were you in the Japanese army during WW2? Do you know what
the rates of food-borne illness were? Do you have any evidence
that the health and well-being of the soldiers were important to
the Japanese command structure?

Well, let's see. The choice seems to be to take simple, prudent
action to prevent food-borne illness, or to take risks that may
result in painful and possibly lethal results.

Seems a simple decision to me.

Cindy Hamilton

SMS

Jul 16, 2010, 9:45:10 PM7/16/10
On 15/07/10 1:57 PM, Jeff Thies wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Jul 13, 10:22 pm, aesthete8 <art...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Most r.c.'s seem to switch to WARM after the rice gets cooked.
>>>
>>> I need one which shuts off.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Rice is pH-neutral and is among the more dangerous
>> foods to hold between 40 and 140 F. You probably
>> won't find one that shuts off.
>
> Never thought of that, what are safe temperatures to keep at? Can you
> keep rice refrigerated?
>
> I ask that because I have been thinking of eating more rice and the
> cookers all make more rice than I would eat at a meal.
>
> For the OP. These devices are dead simple. You can take them apart
> easily and disconnect the warming. There ain't much in there.

That's true if they have separate heaters for cooking and keep warm. If
"keep warm" uses the same heater as cooking, just cycled frequently as a
temperature sensor detects the temperature, it's not easy. I know the
low-end non-computerized models have two heaters.

aesthete8

Jul 16, 2010, 9:55:25 PM7/16/10
On Jul 14, 7:22 am, Cindy Hamilton <angelicapagane...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

For safety reasons.

I just don't want to forget to pull out the rice cooker plug before I
leave the house or go to sleep.

234

Jul 17, 2010, 2:52:22 AM7/17/10
Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Jul 16, 3:00 pm, "234" <2...@45.com> wrote:
>> Jeff Thies wrote:

>>> Never thought of that, what are safe temperatures to keep at?
>>
>> Its likely that is radically overstated. The Jap army didnt bother
>> with crap like that during WW2 and it didnt cause any problems.

> Were you in the Japanese army during WW2?

Don't need to have been to realise that the Japanese never bothered with
that crap much and didn't get any bad result from that when they didn't.

> Do you know what the rates of food-borne illness were?

Yes. Insignificant.

> Do you have any evidence that the health and well-being of the
> soldiers were important to the Japanese command structure?

Doesn't matter whether it was or not, they did fine anyway.

They still do with their use of rice that has been prepared well before its eaten cold etc.

> Well, let's see. The choice seems to be to take simple,
> prudent action to prevent food-borne illness, or to take
> risks that may result in painful and possibly lethal results.

Or realise that the japanese army did fine without bothering
about crap like that and that that proves its radically overstated.

> Seems a simple decision to me.

Seems like mindless superficiality to me.

Rod Speed

Jul 17, 2010, 2:54:33 AM7/17/10

You could just use a separate timer that you plug the rice cooker into to automatically disconnect it.

Message has been deleted

Jul 17, 2010, 10:18:03 AM7/17/10

"Derald" <der...@invalid.net> wrote in message

>>What a waste this newsgroup has become.

Yup, you certainly are. PLONK!

tmclone

Jul 17, 2010, 10:32:05 AM7/17/10
On Jul 16, 1:40 pm, Cindy Hamilton <angelicapagane...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

Grain is what food eats.

234

Jul 17, 2010, 2:21:57 PM7/17/10
Derald wrote:

> "234" <2...@45.com> wrote:
>
>> Its likely that is radically overstated. The Jap army didnt bother
>> with crap like that during WW2 and it didnt cause any problems.

> Thanks for that. It's amazing that prior generations managed to
> thrive in their ignorance, isn't it? Now, elsewhere in the thread some
> turd-dumb respondent declares grain to be "poison" despite the
> continued existence of billions of Asians who subsist on "poison"
> rice and have done so for centuries.

Yes. Amazing how some can't manage to comprehend simple stuff like that.

> What a waste this newsgroup has become.

Its always had a few like that.

Jul 17, 2010, 6:14:32 PM7/17/10

"234" <2...@45.com> wrote in message news:8aeam7...@mid.individual.net...

> Derald wrote:
>> "234" <2...@45.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Its likely that is radically overstated. The Jap army didnt bother
>>> with crap like that during WW2 and it didnt cause any problems.
>
>> Thanks for that. It's amazing that prior generations managed to
>> thrive in their ignorance, isn't it? Now, elsewhere in the thread some
>> turd-dumb respondent declares grain to be "poison" despite the
>> continued existence of billions of Asians who subsist on "poison"
>> rice and have done so for centuries.
>
> Yes. Amazing how some can't manage to comprehend simple stuff like that.

And yet, millions of people are poisoned by wheat every day, and instead of
simply avoiding it, they spend billions of $ on toxic "medicines" to cure
their asthma, gastro-intestinal "issues", acne, and virtually ever other
auto-immune "disease". Again, grain is what food eats. People should be
eating meat, veg, fruit, oils, and a little bit of dairy. No salt, sugar, or
grain. Period. Check out "The Paleo Diet" if you've managed to get to
adulthood without learning this. I think the diet in the book is a bit off,
but it's VERY close to what people should eat if they want to be lean and
healthy and still eat real food.

Cindy Hamilton

Jul 19, 2010, 1:14:38 PM7/19/10

Then just unplug it when the rice is done, put the rice in the
fridge and be on your merry.

If you can't attend to your rice cooker, you probably shouldn't
be cooking. It's far too dangerous.

CIndy Hamilton

Janie

Jul 19, 2010, 11:51:57 PM7/19/10

"Cindy Hamilton" <angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

CIndy Hamilton

If someone is actually looking for a rice cooker that automatically shuts
off then have a look around the appliance dept. at your local store. I own
a Black & Decker steamer/rice cooker that has a timer. It automatically
shuts off at the end of the set time. Other brands have that feature too.

frie...@zoocrewphoto.com

Jul 26, 2010, 4:20:40 AM7/26/10

You could always hang a note on your door or put it on your pillow.

John Savage

Jul 31, 2010, 12:10:17 AM7/31/10
"Lou" <lpo...@hotmail.com> writes:

Need the gas low to cook slowly using the absorption method. This means
the flame will sometimes go out (supply pressure fluctuates).

John Savage

Jul 31, 2010, 12:11:21 AM7/31/10
aesthete8 <art...@gmail.com> writes:
>On Jul 14, 7:22=A0am, Cindy Hamilton <angelicapagane...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> On Jul 13, 10:22=A0pm,aesthete8<art...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Most r.c.'s seem to switch to WARM after the rice gets cooked.
>>
>> > I need one which shuts off.
>>
>> > Any suggestions?
>>
>> Rice is pH-neutral and is among the more dangerous
>> foods to hold between 40 and 140 F. =A0You probably

>> won't find one that shuts off.
>>
>> Why do you want this feature?
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>
>For safety reasons.
>
>I just don't want to forget to pull out the rice cooker plug before I
>leave the house or go to sleep.

My cheap MAXIM "Made in China" model (a sidewalk pickup) has only COOK and
OFF. Just as well, as am always forgetting to unplug it till it comes time
to scrape out the left-overs and wash the bowl. :-(

John Savage

Jul 31, 2010, 12:11:39 AM7/31/10
VFW <geor...@toast.net> writes:
>Like firewood , as it dries it is better. You just have to set it out in
>the sun and wait, I can do that.
>And of course you're going to say that I get better with age.
>Like a fine cheese.
>what else improves with time?

Strychnine. At least it has a reputation for getting stronger with age.

Incidental note from wikipedia:
Although it is best known as a poison, small doses of strychnine were once
used in medications as a stimulant, as a laxative, and as a treatment for
other stomach ailments. A 1934 drug guide for nurses described it as
"among the most valuable and widely prescribed drugs". Strychnine's
stimulant effects also led to its use historically for enhancing
performance in sports."

I wonder are Olympic athletes tested for the presence of strychnine?

John Savage

Jul 31, 2010, 12:22:52 AM7/31/10
"Lou" <lpo...@hotmail.com> writes:

> > On Jul 13, 10:22 pm, aesthete8 <art...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Most r.c.'s seem to switch to WARM after the rice gets cooked.
> >>
> >> I need one which shuts off.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions?

>Is there something wrong with a pot on the stovetop?

Need the gas low to cook slowly using the absorption method. This means
the flame will sometimes go out (supply pressure fluctuates).

Rod Speed

Jul 31, 2010, 2:06:40 AM7/31/10
John Savage wrote
> Lou <lpo...@hotmail.com> writes
>>> aesthete8 <art...@gmail.com> wrote

>> Is there something wrong with a pot on the stovetop?

> Need the gas low to cook slowly using the absorption method.

You dont have to use the absorption method and dont have to have a gas stove either.

> This means the flame will sometimes go out (supply pressure fluctuates).

Wrong with a properly designed gas stove.

gggg...@gmail.com

Sep 24, 2014, 5:32:11 AM9/24/14
On Tuesday, July 13, 2010 4:22:11 PM UTC-10, aesthete8 wrote:
> Most r.c.'s seem to switch to WARM after the rice gets cooked.
>
> I need one which shuts off.
>
> Any suggestions?

I got the Panasonic which shuts off after it finishes cooking the rice:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41VDKe5ZQML._SX355_.jpg

Michael Black

Sep 24, 2014, 12:20:07 PM9/24/14
But was it being sold back in 2010 when the question came up?

DOn't reply to old posts, chances are close to 100% that the original
poster is no longer here, chances are really good they weren't here
beyond that one post.

And since I'm tired of checking, read the other posts in the thread,
because chances are good there were ample answers four years ago, and not
only is there no use to answering four years late, but chances are good
someone provided a suitable answer back then.

Michael

John Doe

Nov 10, 2014, 12:11:52 PM11/10/14
Netcop wannabe...