Bring Back Kosher Hot Dogs to Costco Snack Bar--Sign the Petition!

SMS

Mar 1, 2009, 5:15:26 PM3/1/09
Click on "http://www.petitiononline.com/costcohd/petition.html"

To: Costco CEO

Kosher hot dogs and polish sausages have been a tradition at the Price
Club and Costco snack bars since the corporation was formed.

Now, in a misguided cost-saving measure, Costco has removed kosher hot
dogs and polish sausages from their snack bar menu and replaced them
with a far inferior non-kosher product.

We urge Costo to bring back kosher hot dogs and polish sausages to the
snack bar. If necessary raise the price to $1.75 or $2.00 because of the
extra cost of a superior product.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

Sanity

Mar 1, 2009, 5:32:20 PM3/1/09

"SMS" <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote in message

Costco tried to intimidate their kosher hot dog supplier into lowering what
they charge. They figured they had them by the b-lls. The company stuck to
their price and Costco switched to an unkosher vendor. Many, many people
are complaining to Costco.

InfoSeeker

Mar 1, 2009, 5:38:25 PM3/1/09
On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 14:15:26 -0800, SMS <scharf...@geemail.com>
wrote:

>Click on "http:l"

You prefer the hot dogs with tofu in them???

I suggest you read the article in the current Costco Connection.

spamtr...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2009, 5:41:04 PM3/1/09

There's a kosher meat shortage in this country, because Sara Lee shut
down production of kosher sausages, and because of Agriprocessors'
legal troubles. If you don't need to keep kosher, why add to the
demand?

I'm mad at Sara Lee. Why acquire so many kosher meat brands, and then
shut them all down? Why not look for a buyer, or let the employees buy
the business. Best/Sinai/Shofar/Wilno had its own supervisory rabbis,
for Pete's sake.

SMS

Mar 1, 2009, 6:35:50 PM3/1/09
Sanity wrote:

> Costco tried to intimidate their kosher hot dog supplier into lowering what
> they charge. They figured they had them by the b-lls. The company stuck to
> their price and Costco switched to an unkosher vendor. Many, many people
> are complaining to Costco.

Actually Sara Lee discontinued the Sinai Kosher brand. Whether this was
because Costco was planning to stop buying from them or whether Costco
dropped Sinai Kosher only after Sara Lee decided to close the business
is unclear.

"http://www.shalomnewyork.com/business/sara-lee-to-close-kosher-meat-unit-cut-185-jobs/"

They could always switch to Hebrew National, who they used to use for
hot dogs a long time ago. Even if they had to raise the price from $1.50
to $1.75 or $2, I don't think anyone would complain since the price has
been $1.50 for as long as I've been going to Price Club/Costco in 1983.

max

Mar 1, 2009, 6:43:37 PM3/1/09
In article <fd3mq4502o3heip4l...@4ax.com>,
InfoSeeker <infos...@devnul.com> wrote:

if you're referring to the Vienna Beef hot dogs they used to sell, VB is
_not_ kosher. Delish, and i eat at their factory cafeteria lunchroom
often, but they are not kosher.

And yes, they should bring them back.

.max

--
This signature can be appended to your outgoing mesages. Many people include in
their signatures contact information, and perhaps a joke or quotation.

The Real Bev

Mar 1, 2009, 7:29:58 PM3/1/09
SMS wrote:

They use HN in the Los Angeles area, at least they still did the last time I
looked at least a month ago. I was surprised to see a different brand featured
when I was in Raleigh last June.

It's always a rough choice -- pizza or Polish. I generally favor the pizza.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Why does everybody always forget the eigthth dwarf? Just because

SMS

Mar 1, 2009, 7:54:27 PM3/1/09
The Real Bev wrote:

> It's always a rough choice -- pizza or Polish. I generally favor the
> pizza.

The sign in Sunnyvale said they are dropping goth HN and Sinai, and
urged customers to try the Kirkland brand. Despite bad experiences with
many Kirkland products I gave the polish a try and it was not good.

I like the Costco pizza when I take it home and heat it in the oven so
it isn't so soggy, but not at the store.

Sign the petition! "http://www.petitiononline.com/costcohd/petition.html"

InfoSeeker

Mar 1, 2009, 8:03:55 PM3/1/09
On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 17:43:37 -0600, max <beta...@gmail.com> wrote:

>In article <fd3mq4502o3heip4l...@4ax.com>,
> InfoSeeker <infos...@devnul.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 14:15:26 -0800, SMS <scharf...@geemail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Click on "http:l"
>> >

>> >To: Costco CEO
>> >
>> >Kosher hot dogs and polish sausages have been a tradition at the Price
>> >Club and Costco snack bars since the corporation was formed.
>> >
>> >Now, in a misguided cost-saving measure, Costco has removed kosher hot
>> >dogs and polish sausages from their snack bar menu and replaced them
>> >with a far inferior non-kosher product.
>> >
>> >We urge Costo to bring back kosher hot dogs and polish sausages to the
>> >snack bar. If necessary raise the price to $1.75 or $2.00 because of the
>> >extra cost of a superior product.
>> >
>> >Sincerely,
>> >
>> >The Undersigned
>>
>> You prefer the hot dogs with tofu in them???
>>
>> I suggest you read the article in the current Costco Connection.
>
>if you're referring to the Vienna Beef hot dogs they used to sell, VB is
>_not_ kosher. Delish, and i eat at their factory cafeteria lunchroom
>often, but they are not kosher.

No, I'm talking about Hebrew National, kosher with soy protein
filler. HN was sold in SoCal and Las Vegas Costco snack bars. Don't
know about other areas.

Evelyn Leeper

Mar 1, 2009, 8:22:34 PM3/1/09
SMS wrote:
> The Real Bev wrote:
>
>> It's always a rough choice -- pizza or Polish. I generally favor the
>> pizza.
>
> The sign in Sunnyvale said they are dropping goth HN and Sinai, and
> urged customers to try the Kirkland brand. Despite bad experiences with
> many Kirkland products I gave the polish a try and it was not good.

Here in NJ the Polish dog disappeared years ago.

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
Nobody believes the official spokesman ... but everybody

sf

Mar 1, 2009, 9:02:54 PM3/1/09
On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 15:35:50 -0800, SMS <scharf...@geemail.com>
wrote:

>They could always switch to Hebrew National, who they used to use for
>hot dogs a long time ago. Even if they had to raise the price from $1.50
>to $1.75 or $2, I don't think anyone would complain since the price has
>been $1.50 for as long as I've been going to Price Club/Costco in 1983.

Kosher dogs are the way to go! I prefer Hebrew National anyway and
could tell the difference between brands.

Mae West

Geoff Miller

Mar 1, 2009, 9:52:22 PM3/1/09

<spamtr...@gmail.com> writes:

> If you don't need to keep kosher, why add to the demand?

Nobody "needs" to keep kosher.

In any case, the issue here isn't kosherness (koshertude?),
but quality.

"I bet one guy $100 that the Heebs would take 'em, and I bet
another guy $50 that they'd take 'em in less than a week!"

-- my father, 1967

Geoff

--
"The meatballs in piping microwaved yoghurt were
an accident in a sheep-insemination laboratory."

spamtr...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2009, 10:00:57 PM3/1/09
On Mar 1, 6:52 pm, geo...@lava.net (Geoff Miller) wrote:

> <spamtrap1...@gmail.com> writes:
> > If you don't need to keep kosher, why add to the demand?
>
> Nobody "needs" to keep kosher.
>
> In any case, the issue here isn't kosherness (koshertude?),
> but quality.

A report on the quality of the biggest kosher packing house in the
country:

http://failedmessiah.typepad.com/failed_messiahcom/2007/08/cow-suspected-t.html

Jews who would never eat Hebrew National products (kosher
certification not good enough for them) would eat that stuff.

The Real Bev

Mar 1, 2009, 11:06:26 PM3/1/09
SMS wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>
>> It's always a rough choice -- pizza or Polish. I generally favor the
>> pizza.
>
> The sign in Sunnyvale said they are dropping goth HN and Sinai, and
> urged customers to try the Kirkland brand. Despite bad experiences with
> many Kirkland products I gave the polish a try and it was not good.

I've been happy with the Kirkland stuff I've bought. What sucks?

A thing I was really disappointed in was the Hormel ready-to-microwave bacon.
The Hormel stuff at Ralph's (as well as the Ralph's store brand) was
extraordinarily good, but the stuff Costco sells is thick cut, which makes the
results more leather-like than crisp.

> I like the Costco pizza when I take it home and heat it in the oven so
> it isn't so soggy, but not at the store.

My oven hasn't worked for decades so we eat it at the store.

--
Cheers, Bev
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Veronique

Mar 1, 2009, 11:32:54 PM3/1/09
On Mar 1, 6:52 pm, geo...@lava.net (Geoff Miller) wrote:
> <spamtrap1...@gmail.com> writes:
> > If you don't need to keep kosher, why add to the demand?
>
> Nobody "needs" to keep kosher.
>
> In any case, the issue here isn't kosherness (koshertude?),
> but quality.

"kosheritude" is the korrect expression, I b'lieve. And yes, the issue
is quality (not that I would know a kosher hotdog from a, well,
anyway, out here in the vegetarian fringes).

V.
--
Veronique Chez Sheep

Frog Britches

Mar 1, 2009, 11:41:17 PM3/1/09
Sam's Club has done the same thing on most of the items it sells.
Complaints fall on deaf ears apparently. It now has become an
assortment, of the lowest cost, highest profit, items. Quality etc has
not been a consideration. They figure there are so many people somebody
will buy it. Our visits and purchases have fallen way down. I no longer
go to browse. I don't need but so much toilet paper and not interested
in Viet Namese fish and a expensive cheap steak that has apparently been
grazed on brush in Canada, the US, and packaged in Mexico.

Jeff

Mar 2, 2009, 12:58:40 AM3/2/09

Soy?

The HN, I buy, I thought were 100% Beef. 1 quarted pound dog was
something like %60 of your daily saturated fat allotment. Tasted great
though.

Jeff

Message has been deleted

Sanity

Mar 2, 2009, 7:31:07 AM3/2/09

"Shawn Hirn" <sr...@comcast.net> wrote in message
> In article <EIDql.13891$D32....@flpi146.ffdc.sbc.com>,
> There's a simple solution for this situation. If enough shoppers stop
> buying hot dogs and sausages there, and also complain in writing or
> verbally to store management (not the person who works at the snack
> bar), they will get the message. A silly email petition drive without
> even as much as a link to an online petition is absolutely useless.

I don't think it will help. Before Costco made the shift they tried it out
in several of their locations. Their hot dog sales dropped by 60-70 percent
in those stores and yet they still made the change in vendors. I guess they
figure that you'll buy whatever they offer eventually.

Geoff Miller

Mar 2, 2009, 9:13:15 AM3/2/09

The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> writes:

> I've been happy with the Kirkland stuff I've bought.
> What sucks?

ObAOL: Me too.

It makes no more sense to say that you're dissatisfied
with Kirkland products than it would to say that you
don't like Kenmore appliances. In both cases, they
come from various suppliers, with the range of quality
that that implies.

Geoff Miller

Mar 2, 2009, 9:14:48 AM3/2/09

Veronique <veroniq...@gmail.com> writes:

> "kosheritude" is the korrect expression, I b'lieve.

Imagine that. "When flippany and reality collide..."

> And yes, the issue is quality (not that I would know
> a kosher hotdog from a, well, anyway, out here in the
> vegetarian fringes).

Kosher hotdogs are circumcised.

SMS

Mar 2, 2009, 9:50:44 AM3/2/09
The Real Bev wrote:

> My oven hasn't worked for decades

That's terrible. How long have you been waiting for the repair person to
get the parts?

Karen

Mar 2, 2009, 10:46:44 AM3/2/09
On Mar 1, 2:15 pm, SMS <scharf.ste...@geemail.com> wrote:
> We urge Costo to bring back kosher hot dogs and polish sausages to the
> snack bar. If necessary raise the price to $1.75 or $2.00 because of the
> extra cost of a superior product.

Maybe it's not such a bad idea, changing hot dogs at the snack bar?
Maybe they'll be more like the hotdogs at the baseball games, and
those taste better than costco snack bar hotdogs.

Sanity

Mar 2, 2009, 11:18:15 AM3/2/09

"Karen" <kso...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Baseball hotdogs taste good? Dirty water hotdogs?

spamtr...@gmail.com

Mar 2, 2009, 11:33:17 AM3/2/09
On Mar 2, 8:18 am, "Sanity" <San...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Karen" <ksoa...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

They taste good chiefly because you're at the ball game.

I've made the local (A's) ball park dogs at home -- Miller's -- and
they're nothing special.

Sanity

Mar 2, 2009, 11:37:14 AM3/2/09

<spamtr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Exactly. It's like popcorn tasting better at a movie theater. Hebrew
National is the most popular because it's 100% beef (they have to answer to
a higher authority).

Sqwertz

Mar 2, 2009, 12:22:14 PM3/2/09
SMS wrote:

> We urge Costo to bring back kosher hot dogs and polish sausages to the
> snack bar. If necessary raise the price to $1.75 or $2.00 because of the
> extra cost of a superior product.

How is a kosher dog automatically superior to a non-kosher hot dog?

What brand is/are they using? I had one yesterday in Austin and it tasted
the same as the Best's Brand Kosher polish dogs I've been eating all
along, only the bun was different (smaller, sweeter, yellower, moister,
and cut completely in half making making for a really messy dog.

-sw

Al Eisner

Mar 2, 2009, 1:47:20 PM3/2/09
On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, spamtr...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Mar 2, 8:18 am, "Sanity" <San...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> "Karen" <ksoa...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> On Mar 1, 2:15 pm, SMS <scharf.ste...@geemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> We urge Costo to bring back kosher hot dogs and polish sausages to the
>>> snack bar. If necessary raise the price to $1.75 or $2.00 because of the
>>> extra cost of a superior product.
>>> Maybe it's not such a bad idea, changing hot dogs at the snack bar?
>>> Maybe they'll be more like the hotdogs at the baseball games, and
>>> those taste better than costco snack bar hotdogs.
>>
>> Baseball hotdogs taste good?  Dirty water hotdogs?
>
> They taste good chiefly because you're at the ball game.

Maybe Costco could stage ball games to make the food more palatable?

> I've made the local (A's) ball park dogs at home -- Miller's -- and
> they're nothing special.

When I've been there (not for a couple of years, so my info. might be out of
date) I figured that so long as I was paying for overpriced food I might
as well use the Saag's stand, which had pretty good dogs.

As to the comment about the variability of Kirkland's food products,
isn't that reason enough to object to them? (Not that it matters a
great deal to me -- I rarely feel a need to eat while at Costco, unless
I'm in a long wait for tire replacement.)
--

Al Eisner
San Mateo Co., CA

Sanity

Mar 2, 2009, 4:16:54 PM3/2/09

"Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compst> wrote in message

No one said it is superior but all kosher hot dogs are 100% beef. You don't
want to know what non-kosher dogs use as fillers.

spamtr...@gmail.com

Mar 2, 2009, 5:20:18 PM3/2/09

What do non-kosher dogs use as fillers?

Kosher beef cuts include tongue, cheeks, feet, hearts, sweetbreads,
and liver.

InfoSeeker

Mar 2, 2009, 8:05:45 PM3/2/09
On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 16:16:54 -0500, "Sanity" <San...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>No one said it is superior but all kosher hot dogs are 100% beef. You don't
>want to know what non-kosher dogs use as fillers.

Have you bothered to read the ingredients list on Hebrew National
hot dogs? When you do you will find they use fillers, soy protein
to be exact. The meat may be 100% beef, but the product is not 100%
meat.

The Real Bev

Mar 2, 2009, 8:24:12 PM3/2/09
Geoff Miller wrote:

> The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I've been happy with the Kirkland stuff I've bought.
>> What sucks?
>
> ObAOL: Me too.
>
> It makes no more sense to say that you're dissatisfied
> with Kirkland products than it would to say that you
> don't like Kenmore appliances. In both cases, they
> come from various suppliers, with the range of quality
> that that implies.

> --
> "The meatballs in piping microwaved yoghurt were
> an accident in a sheep-insemination laboratory."
> -- A.A. Gill

Is there an explanation for this, or must it stand by itself?

--
Cheers, Bev
(On going to war over religion:) "You're basically killing each other

The Real Bev

Mar 2, 2009, 8:26:15 PM3/2/09
SMS wrote:

I just stopped using it. It's full of dust and the pilot went off, so turning
it on is probably not a good thing to do. Hey, the microwave and burners work,
though, I'm not totally heat-challenged!

The Real Bev

Mar 2, 2009, 8:28:47 PM3/2/09
Karen wrote:

I was disappointed with the real Dodger Dogs at Dodger Stadium. Rotten price
and only lukewarm. OTOH, the mustard, relish and onions are first rate!

The Real Bev

Mar 2, 2009, 8:33:09 PM3/2/09
Al Eisner wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, spamtr...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Mar 2, 8:18 am, "Sanity" <San...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Baseball hotdogs taste good? Dirty water hotdogs?
>>
>> They taste good chiefly because you're at the ball game.
>
> Maybe Costco could stage ball games to make the food more palatable?
>
>> I've made the local (A's) ball park dogs at home -- Miller's -- and
>> they're nothing special.
>
> When I've been there (not for a couple of years, so my info. might be out of
> date) I figured that so long as I was paying for overpriced food I might
> as well use the Saag's stand, which had pretty good dogs.
>
> As to the comment about the variability of Kirkland's food products,
> isn't that reason enough to object to them? (Not that it matters a
> great deal to me -- I rarely feel a need to eat while at Costco, unless
> I'm in a long wait for tire replacement.)

Besides, there are all those samples... One thing I've learned: avoid the
fish. Whatever it is, if it's fish it's awful. I wish they'd hand out samples
of their Sonoma chicken salad, though. I've made my own using tuna instead of
chicken (look on the list of ingredients, there are no secrets), and it's pretty
good and much cheaper. Probably better if you use chicken breasts (on sale, of
course) but that's more trouble than I'm willing to go to.

Robert Klute

Mar 2, 2009, 8:36:37 PM3/2/09
On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 17:24:12 -0800, The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Geoff Miller wrote:
>
>> The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I've been happy with the Kirkland stuff I've bought.
>>> What sucks?
>>
>> ObAOL: Me too.
>>
>> It makes no more sense to say that you're dissatisfied
>> with Kirkland products than it would to say that you
>> don't like Kenmore appliances. In both cases, they
>> come from various suppliers, with the range of quality
>> that that implies.
>> --
>> "The meatballs in piping microwaved yoghurt were
>> an accident in a sheep-insemination laboratory."
>> -- A.A. Gill
>
>Is there an explanation for this, or must it stand by itself?

I take it, then, that you've never at the Casa Brindisa on Exhibition
Road?

The Real Bev

Mar 2, 2009, 8:38:09 PM3/2/09
spamtr...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Mar 2, 1:16 pm, "Sanity" <San...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> > How is a kosher dog automatically superior to a non-kosher hot dog?

Among other things, they're supposed to be cleaner. That kind of depends on how
conscientious the approving rabbi is, though.

>> > What brand is/are they using? I had one yesterday in Austin and it tasted
>> > the same as the Best's Brand Kosher polish dogs I've been eating all
>> > along, only the bun was different (smaller, sweeter, yellower, moister,
>> > and cut completely in half making making for a really messy dog.
>>

>> No one said it is superior but all kosher hot dogs are 100% beef. You don't
>> want to know what non-kosher dogs use as fillers.
>
> What do non-kosher dogs use as fillers?

Floor sweepings, apparently. There's probably a reason we don't want to know.
I don't worry about soy protein as long as it doesn't taste like soy.

> Kosher beef cuts include tongue, cheeks, feet, hearts, sweetbreads,
> and liver.

No ears or snouts? Wait, I guess cows don't have snouts. Noses, maybe. No
noses? What's the rule?

Sanity

Mar 2, 2009, 9:07:21 PM3/2/09

"InfoSeeker" <infos...@devnul.com> wrote in message

Hot dogs may also contain up
to 3.5 percent non-meat binders, such as nonfat dry milk, cereal,
dried whole milk, or 2 percent isolated soy protein. These binders
must also be distinctly labeled.

Evelyn Leeper

Geoff Miller

Mar 2, 2009, 10:58:50 PM3/2/09

Sanity <San...@yahoo.com> writes:

> Costco tried to intimidate their kosher hot dog supplier
> into lowering what they charge. They figured they had
> them by the b-lls.

"B-lls?" Is that one of those Jewish things, like "G-d?"

"Let me get this straight. You want us to cut the ends
of our *d-cks* off?" -- Moses

Geoff

The Real Bev

Mar 3, 2009, 12:28:20 AM3/3/09
Robert Klute wrote:

Apparently not. What city/state/country is it in? I guess I do need an
explanation. I understand about sheep insemination, but the rest of it is a
mystery...

--
Cheers, Bev

It only takes 2 men to tile a bathroom
if you slice them thinly enough.

The Real Bev

Mar 3, 2009, 12:33:17 AM3/3/09
josej...@ssnet.net wrote:

> The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> Kosher beef cuts include tongue, cheeks, feet, hearts, sweetbreads,
>>> and liver.
>>
>>No ears or snouts? Wait, I guess cows don't have snouts. Noses, maybe. No
>>noses? What's the rule?
>

> They are made of cow lips and udder stuff.

Grind 'em up fine and you can't tell the difference!

I've eaten fish maws and hog maws and am here to tell about it. My grandma made
pickled heart and pigs' feet and souse and lived to be 90.

What are we, wusses? If it doesn't eat us we can eat it!

(null)

Mar 3, 2009, 12:39:02 AM3/3/09
In article <EIDql.13891$D32....@flpi146.ffdc.sbc.com>,
SMS <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
>Now, in a misguided cost-saving measure, Costco has removed kosher hot
>dogs and polish sausages from their snack bar menu and replaced them
>with a far inferior non-kosher product.

The lastest Costco magazine (Costco Connection) talks about it.
A few highlights from the article (any opinions are not mine):

- Price has been the same $1.50 for 24 years, but the drink increased from
12oz in 1985 to 20oz today. Pizza is the same $9.95 as its 1989 intro

- One of their two hot dog suppliers is quitting the kosher meat business

- One of the largest kosher raw-ingredient suppliers was closed down

- New dogs are 10% heavier and longer ("1/4 Pound Plus")

- New dogs are 100% beef, USDA choice or better

- No fillers, binders, phosphates, corn syrup, artificial color
or artificial flavor, "which are frequently found in other brands,
including some of the kosher brands."

- New dogs consistently win in blind taste tests against the other brands.

Obviously this is a marketing piece, so make of it what you may.

Steve Fenwick

Mar 3, 2009, 2:04:13 AM3/3/09
In article <yTTql.10472$i9....@bignews8.bellsouth.net>,
"Sanity" <San...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Theater popcorn tastes better because the corn is a variety that pops
larger and is popped in coconut oil or similar fats instead of corn oil
or an air-popper.

Steve

--
steve <at> w0x0f <dot> com
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of

Rod Speed

Mar 3, 2009, 4:02:36 AM3/3/09
The Real Bev wrote

> josej...@ssnet.net wrote
>> The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> No ears or snouts? Wait, I guess cows don't have snouts. Noses, maybe. No noses? What's the rule?

>> They are made of cow lips and udder stuff.

> Grind 'em up fine and you can't tell the difference!

> I've eaten fish maws and hog maws and am here to tell about it. My
> grandma made pickled heart and pigs' feet and souse and lived to be 90.

> What are we, wusses? If it doesn't eat us we can eat it!

If it does eat us, we can still eat it too, most obviously with sharks.

Karen

Mar 3, 2009, 10:35:13 AM3/3/09
On Mar 2, 2:20 pm, spamtrap1...@gmail.com wrote:
> What do non-kosher dogs use as fillers?
>
> Kosher beef cuts include tongue, cheeks, feet, hearts, sweetbreads,
> and liver.

Not sure why those things are so horrible, unless it makes a higher
fat content?

Karen

Karen

Mar 3, 2009, 10:39:44 AM3/3/09
On Mar 2, 5:38 pm, The Real Bev <bashley...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Floor sweepings, apparently.  There's probably a reason we don't want to know.
> I don't worry about soy protein as long as it doesn't taste like soy.

Is a kosher meatpacking facility any cleaner than a non-kosher
meatpacking facility?

Or is a non-kosher hot dog maker any less clean than one that is
kosher?

We accept some of these as true without really knowing what happens in
a meatpacking place in the first place.

Karen

Karen

Mar 3, 2009, 10:43:13 AM3/3/09
On Mar 2, 9:39 pm, d...@sonic.net ((null)) wrote:
>  - New dogs are 10% heavier and longer ("1/4 Pound Plus")

This part doesn't make me want to have a hotdog for lunch. Hot dogs,
like a taco, or something, are best for lunch when minimal,
simplistic, not so much like a big meal.

Karen

spamtr...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2009, 11:53:38 AM3/3/09

People believe ordinary hot dogs contain "meat by-products" like lips
and snouts, as mentioned upthread. Kosher dogs are not that much
different in that respect.

spamtr...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2009, 11:54:27 AM3/3/09

Read up on the whole Agriprocessors saga.

Robert Klute

Mar 3, 2009, 12:13:04 PM3/3/09
On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 21:28:20 -0800, The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Robert Klute wrote:
>
>> The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>Is there an explanation for this, or must it stand by itself?
>>
>> I take it, then, that you've never at the Casa Brindisa on Exhibition
>> Road?
>
>Apparently not. What city/state/country is it in? I guess I do need an
>explanation. I understand about sheep insemination, but the rest of it is a
>mystery...

That was supposed to be a Google/Yahoo search clue. A A Gill is a food
critic for the British newspaper The Times. The line is from one of his
restaraunt reviews:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/eating_out/a_a_gill/article5748392.ece

An expanded extract of that line is:

I wanted to grab Fakhreldine’s manager and say, why are you doing this?

The meatballs in piping microwaved yoghurt were an accident in a

sheep-insemination laboratory. You plainly don’t like running a
restaurant; you take no pride in your product; you find the customers
irksome and annoying; you palm off unpleasant food to people you
despise; and there’s barely anyone here. Why on earth don’t you do
something else?

Al Eisner

Mar 3, 2009, 1:36:04 PM3/3/09
On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Geoff Miller wrote:

> Sanity <San...@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> Costco tried to intimidate their kosher hot dog supplier
>> into lowering what they charge. They figured they had
>> them by the b-lls.
>
> "B-lls?" Is that one of those Jewish things, like "G-d?"

It stands for "bills", as in dollar bills. After all, that's what matters.

> "Let me get this straight. You want us to cut the ends
> of our *d-cks* off?" -- Moses

"ducks"? I don't get it.

The Real Bev

Mar 3, 2009, 1:58:09 PM3/3/09
Robert Klute wrote:

> The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Robert Klute wrote:

>>> I take it, then, that you've never at the Casa Brindisa on Exhibition
>>> Road?
>>
>>Apparently not. What city/state/country is it in? I guess I do need an
>>explanation. I understand about sheep insemination, but the rest of it is a
>>mystery...
>
> That was supposed to be a Google/Yahoo search clue.

I figured I'd just get a mess of references to your sig :-(

> A A Gill is a food
> critic for the British newspaper The Times. The line is from one of his
> restaraunt reviews:
>
> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/eating_out/a_a_gill/article5748392.ece
>
> An expanded extract of that line is:
>
> I wanted to grab Fakhreldine’s manager and say, why are you doing this?
> The meatballs in piping microwaved yoghurt were an accident in a
> sheep-insemination laboratory. You plainly don’t like running a
> restaurant; you take no pride in your product; you find the customers
> irksome and annoying; you palm off unpleasant food to people you
> despise; and there’s barely anyone here. Why on earth don’t you do
> something else?

OK, thanks, that was marginally clearer :-) My guess would be that it was a
mafia (al quaeda?) money-laundering operation. I've seen a number of local
businesses that couldn't possibly survive in any other way.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Arguing on the internet is like running a race in the Special

The Real Bev

Mar 3, 2009, 2:00:21 PM3/3/09
Rod Speed wrote:

Once a shark has eaten you, I'd say you're pretty much screwed if you want to
eat it back.

The Real Bev

Mar 3, 2009, 2:03:50 PM3/3/09
Karen wrote:

Those items (well, I'm not sure about sweetbreads and liver) are lower in fat
than muscle meat. For higher fat content they just add fat. It's not like
there's a shortage of it :-)

Ciccio

Mar 3, 2009, 2:32:21 PM3/3/09

No, it's "decks." You know, of their ships, just in case that trick of
parting the Red Sea failed.

Ciccio

Dave Garland

Mar 3, 2009, 2:42:23 PM3/3/09

Well, it give one additional level of inspection. How much that is
worth of course depends a lot on the individuals involved, and on how
seriously it's taken. It also regulates the ingredients, which may or
may not be a factor if you're not worried about keeping kosher.

> Read up on the whole Agriprocessors saga.

The Agriprocessors thing was more about hiring undocumented workers,
abusing them, and sometimes about slaughter technique. (I don't think
kosher supervision is concerned with protecting the workers, though it
_should_ cover slaughter technique.) AFAIK Agriprocessors wasn't
accused of producing tainted or dirty product.

Dave

Dan Abel

Mar 3, 2009, 3:03:43 PM3/3/09
In article <a7frl.85388$2h5....@newsfe11.iad>,
The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Rod Speed wrote:

> > If it does eat us, we can still eat it too, most obviously with sharks.
>
> Once a shark has eaten you, I'd say you're pretty much screwed if you want to
> eat it back.

ObPedantic: Sharks generally do not eat people. However, they have
poor vision. When they see a surfboarder in an attractive black wet
suit, they think "seal". Seals have a thick layer of fat under their
black skin, which keeps them warm, as mammals like to do. In addition,
they hang out near the surface, like surfboarders, as both breath air.
Sharks like to take a big bite on the seal, and then retreat so the seal
can't fight back. Once the seal has weakened sufficiently from the
bite, the shark can finish their meal at their leisure. Even though
sharks don't see well, they have an excellent sense of taste. As soon
as they bite a surfboarder, they discover that there is no thick fat
layer, and the "skin" tastes like rubber.

So, there are shark bites, but many people live through them because the
shark just isn't interested in eating some scrawny human with rubber
skin.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Karen

Mar 3, 2009, 3:50:28 PM3/3/09
On Mar 3, 12:03 pm, Dan Abel <da...@sonic.net> wrote:
> ObPedantic:  Sharks generally do not eat people.  However, they have
> poor vision.  When they see a surfboarder in an attractive black wet
> suit, they think "seal".  Seals have a thick layer of fat under their
> black skin, which keeps them warm, as mammals like to do.  In addition,
> they hang out near the surface, like surfboarders, as both breath air.
> Sharks like to take a big bite on the seal, and then retreat so the seal
> can't fight back.  Once the seal has weakened sufficiently from the
> bite, the shark can finish their meal at their leisure.  Even though
> sharks don't see well, they have an excellent sense of taste.  As soon
> as they bite a surfboarder, they discover that there is no thick fat
> layer, and the "skin" tastes like rubber.
>
> So, there are shark bites, but many people live through them because the
> shark just isn't interested in eating some scrawny human with rubber
> skin.

You know, Dan, having one shark bite may be better than two shark
bites, but not really that much better.

Karen

Karen

Mar 3, 2009, 3:52:59 PM3/3/09
On Mar 3, 11:42 am, Dave Garland <dave.garl...@wizinfo.com> wrote:
> Well, it give one additional level of inspection.

Or it gives a level of inspection that derails other levels of
inspections.

spamtr...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2009, 4:16:48 PM3/3/09
On Mar 3, 11:42 am, Dave Garland <dave.garl...@wizinfo.com> wrote:

Regarding Karen's question: The Agriprocessors facilities were not
cleaner than non-kosher packing houses. In fact, 85% of packing houses
had less salmonella contamination than Postville.

A recent AP story:

FOOD SAFETY INVESTIGATION UNCOVERS VIOLATIONS AT NATION’S LARGEST
KOSHER MEATPACKING COMPANY

Government documents reveal failures at Agriprocessors’ Nebraska Plant
to safeguard consumers from mad cow disease and E. coli, as well as
more than 30 sanitation violations ranging from sewage to insect
infestation

WASHINGTON – A new investigative report documenting food safety issues
at the Agriprocessors, Inc., Local Pride Plant in Gordon, Neb., shows
a pattern of food safety violations, including failures to properly
implement bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), or “mad cow”
disease, and E. coli safeguards, as well as more than 30 sanitation
violations, ranging from sewage on the kill floor to insect
infestation.

From a year ago:

According to a report released by Food and Water Watch,
Agriprocessors, Inc. the Postville, Iowa, producers of Aaron's Best,
Rubashkin, and other kosher meat, chicken and turkey brands, failed 3
separate USDA testings for salmonella, the virulent bacteria that is
the leading cause of food-borne illness in the US.

This puts Agriprocessors in the worst 15% of slaughterhouses in the
United States.

Evelyn Leeper

Mar 3, 2009, 4:54:11 PM3/3/09

Docks--it has something to do with pier pressure.

Robert Klute

Mar 3, 2009, 5:09:06 PM3/3/09
On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 10:58:09 -0800, The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Robert Klute wrote:
>
>> The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>Apparently not. What city/state/country is it in? I guess I do need an
>>>explanation. I understand about sheep insemination, but the rest of it is a
>>>mystery...
>>
>> That was supposed to be a Google/Yahoo search clue.
>
>I figured I'd just get a mess of references to your sig :-(

not my sig. I'm just a kibbutzer.

The Real Bev

Mar 3, 2009, 5:46:52 PM3/3/09
Dan Abel wrote:

Come on, get real, we all saw 'Jaws'. One bite is enough!

Rod Speed

Mar 3, 2009, 7:44:03 PM3/3/09
The Real Bev wrote:
> Rod Speed wrote:
>
>> The Real Bev wrote
>>> josej...@ssnet.net wrote

>>> Grind 'em up fine and you can't tell the difference!
>>
>>> I've eaten fish maws and hog maws and am here to tell about it. My
>>> grandma made pickled heart and pigs' feet and souse and lived to be
>>> 90.
>>
>>> What are we, wusses? If it doesn't eat us we can eat it!
>>
>> If it does eat us, we can still eat it too, most obviously with
>> sharks.

> Once a shark has eaten you, I'd say you're pretty much screwed if you want to eat it back.

Thats why you eat it before it gets a chance to eat you, stupid.

aemeijers

Mar 3, 2009, 11:27:56 PM3/3/09
Sanity wrote:
> "SMS" <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote in message
>> Click on "http://www.petitiononline.com/costcohd/petition.html"
>>

>> To: Costco CEO
>>
>> Kosher hot dogs and polish sausages have been a tradition at the Price
>> Club and Costco snack bars since the corporation was formed.

>> Now, in a misguided cost-saving measure, Costco has removed kosher hot
>> dogs and polish sausages from their snack bar menu and replaced them with
>> a far inferior non-kosher product.
>>
>> We urge Costo to bring back kosher hot dogs and polish sausages to the
>> snack bar. If necessary raise the price to $1.75 or $2.00 because of the
>> extra cost of a superior product.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> The Undersigned

> Costco tried to intimidate their kosher hot dog supplier into lowering what
> they charge. They figured they had them by the b-lls. The company stuck to
> their price and Costco switched to an unkosher vendor. Many, many people
> are complaining to Costco.

Don't feel bad- Sam's downgraded the quality of their snack bar dogs as
well, and dropped the polish ones entirely. I protest the only way they
can hear- I stopped buying them. (Time your visit right, and the food
the sample ladies had out more than makes up for it.)

--
aem sends...

SMS

Mar 4, 2009, 2:52:34 PM3/4/09
aemeijers wrote:

> Don't feel bad- Sam's downgraded the quality of their snack bar dogs as
> well, and dropped the polish ones entirely. I protest the only way they
> can hear- I stopped buying them. (Time your visit right, and the food
> the sample ladies had out more than makes up for it.)

I was in a BJ's in Florida (we don't have them where I live) and they
still had Hebrew National.

spamtr...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2009, 3:17:20 PM3/4/09

As far as I can tell, there are no BJ's west of Atlanta

Sanity

Mar 4, 2009, 3:28:33 PM3/4/09

<spamtr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I once got a BJ in California

SMS

Mar 4, 2009, 3:52:35 PM3/4/09
spamtr...@gmail.com wrote:

> As far as I can tell, there are no BJ's west of Atlanta

Wow, that's too easy.

We do have BJ's brew pubs out in California.

ares

Mar 4, 2009, 6:34:39 PM3/4/09
I think this could win as funniest misc.consumers.frugal-living thread of
the year...
ares
"The Real Bev" <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote in message

spamtr...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2009, 6:48:13 PM3/4/09
On Mar 4, 12:28 pm, "Sanity" <San...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> <spamtrap1...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Are you a Hebrew National?

spamtr...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2009, 6:50:46 PM3/4/09
On Mar 4, 12:52 pm, SMS <scharf.ste...@geemail.com> wrote:

> spamtrap1...@gmail.com wrote:
> > As far as I can tell, there are no BJ's west of Atlanta
>
> Wow, that's too easy.

You're an exception; I'm pretty sure you are a Hebrew National.

> We do have BJ's brew pubs out in California.

BJ's and brewpubs, hot chicken wings,
These are a few of my favorite things.

Sqwertz

Mar 5, 2009, 10:25:15 AM3/5/09
Sanity wrote:
> "Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compst> wrote in message
>
>> How is a kosher dog automatically superior to a non-kosher hot dog?
>
> No one said it is superior but all kosher hot dogs are 100% beef. You don't
> want to know what non-kosher dogs use as fillers.

More tabloid-style propaganda. Beef hot dogs are made the exact same as
non-Kosher beef hot dogs.

-sw

Sqwertz

Mar 5, 2009, 10:39:08 AM3/5/09
Karen wrote:
> On Mar 2, 5:38 pm, The Real Bev <bashley...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Floor sweepings, apparently. There's probably a reason we don't want to know.
>> I don't worry about soy protein as long as it doesn't taste like soy.
>
> Is a kosher meatpacking facility any cleaner than a non-kosher
> meatpacking facility?
>
> Or is a non-kosher hot dog maker any less clean than one that is
> kosher?
>
> We accept some of these as true without really knowing what happens in
> a meatpacking place in the first place.

Meat processing plants are extremely clean, kosher or not. They are
staffed by the same non-kosher workers and are held to the same
cleanliness standards set forth by various agencies.

Meat packing facilities are another story.

-sw

Evelyn Leeper

Mar 5, 2009, 11:42:17 AM3/5/09

Possibly, although more parts of the cow can be used in non-kosher hot dogs.

spamtr...@gmail.com

Mar 5, 2009, 12:58:35 PM3/5/09
On Mar 5, 8:42 am, Evelyn Leeper <elee...@optonline.net> wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
> > Sanity wrote:
> >> "Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compst> wrote in message

> >> No one said it is superior but all kosher hot dogs are 100% beef.  You
> >> don't want to know what non-kosher dogs use as fillers.
>
> > More tabloid-style propaganda.  Beef hot dogs are made the exact same as
> > non-Kosher beef hot dogs.
>
> Possibly, although more parts of the cow can be used in non-kosher hot dogs.

Only because removing the forbidden fats and sinews is so much
trouble.

Considering the prices people will pay for Kobe beef, it might be
worthwhile to process kosher filets and T-bones.

Robert Klute

Mar 5, 2009, 5:07:44 PM3/5/09
On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 09:58:35 -0800 (PST), spamtr...@gmail.com wrote:

>On Mar 5, 8:42 am, Evelyn Leeper <elee...@optonline.net> wrote:
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>> > More tabloid-style propaganda.  Beef hot dogs are made the exact same as
>> > non-Kosher beef hot dogs.
>>
>> Possibly, although more parts of the cow can be used in non-kosher hot dogs.
>
>Only because removing the forbidden fats and sinews is so much
>trouble.

The beef in Kosher hot dogs must also meet the health requirements -
clear lungs and organs - and have all blood removed, in addition to
having the veins, arteries, tendons, glands, and membranes removed. The
sciatic nerve must be removed, if the hindquarter is used, in deference
to Jacob.

Geoff Miller

Mar 5, 2009, 5:28:28 PM3/5/09

The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> writes:

[to Robert Klute]

>> I take it, then, that you've never at the Casa Brindisa
>> on Exhibition Road?

> Apparently not. What city/state/country is it in? I guess

> I do need an explanation. I understand about sheep insem-

> ination, but the rest of it is a mystery...

A.A. Gill is a restaurant critic for the Sunday (London)
Times. He's an incredibly talented writer, and his reviews
are always interesting and usually very funny.

In a nutshell, Gill writes about food in much the same way
that his Times colleague, Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson,
writes about cars. (He's also a television critic.) I read
his columns faithfully.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.A._Gill

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ca8ns

Geoff

Sqwertz

Mar 6, 2009, 2:30:02 PM3/6/09
Karen wrote:
> On Mar 2, 9:39 pm, d...@sonic.net ((null)) wrote:
>> - New dogs are 10% heavier and longer ("1/4 Pound Plus")
>
> This part doesn't make me want to have a hotdog for lunch. Hot dogs,
> like a taco, or something, are best for lunch when minimal,
> simplistic, not so much like a big meal.

Bite off the protruding ends of the dog and spit them out. Viola - it's
now 20% lighter.

-sw

clams_casino

Mar 3, 2009, 10:42:59 AM3/3/09
Karen wrote:

>On Mar 2, 2:20 pm, spamtrap1...@gmail.com wrote:
>

>>What do non-kosher dogs use as fillers?

>>Kosher beef cuts include tongue, cheeks, feet, hearts, sweetbreads,
>>and liver.
>>

>Not sure why those things are so horrible, unless it makes a higher
>fat content?
>
>Karen

Actually, many of these (including eyeballs) are added to reduce the fat
level - especially in hamburger <96% lean.