Liberation of Women should include Exposed Breasts

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Apr 21, 2011, 9:33:58 AM4/21/11
Western Liberation of women ain't liberation at all, I may say, as
women are financial slaves to their car --or "cage" as it is commonly
known-- or limited to go to parks for fear of the hobos and sexual
predators.

My opinion is particularly important because that's my riding style in
my local park, and the only way to beat the heat in summer days. I
wear my safari hat and open my shirt endlessly riding my bike through
the winding path, while I witness those hobos sleeping on those
benches with casual disregard for the public.

So I say, with all the weight of my wisdom, that women have the same
right to go bare-breasted and be free from hobos. Liberation time
shouldn't be limited to a few Arab countries. We mean EQUAL RIGHTS FOR
ALL.

http://www.markscott.biz/pix/art/statue_4.jpg

On Apr 20, 11:32 pm, Vince <vpilu...@optonline.net> wrote:

> I sure some in this NG may not know that here in NYC a woman can walk
> around TOPLESS.

Like everything out there, the world has two faces: THEORY & PRACTICE.
As a cyclist I know my right to ride on the road doesn't extend to
real life safety. The cyclist is simply not protected in case of an
accident and the driver either leaves the scene or escapes with a
misdemeanor. But the best case scenario is RIDING UNDER STRESS, and
that doesn't match my peaceful way of life. (STRESS IS THE KEY WORD)

But the subject here is breasts and we shall see the way it works in
New York City...

(I quote)

I would have thought that women, used to having men stare at their
cleavage, would be more subtle when they checked out a woman's chest.
But the ladies in line weren't subtle, nor were they polite. I heard
murmurs about breasts and "that girl." If I turned toward the
whispering and offered a nervous smile, all I got in return was the
lady in question looking away or continuing to whisper to her friend.
I hid behind my bag as much as possible.

I was almost to the front of the line when a cop walked past. His back
was to me, but my mind was racing. I was suddenly paranoid that what
was legal in the meadow was a crime at public restrooms. The cop was
almost past us, but I was terrified that one of the whispering women
would tattle on me. I was only three ladies away from getting into a
stall and peeing in peace, then two more steps, then one…

Just inside the door, I heard, "Ma'am, I'm sorry but you need to put a
top on. If an officer sees you, that's a summons." A cool and
collected park employee stood in the women's restroom with a mop and
bucket. "Oh!" I fumbled in my bag for my top, "Thank you!" I was
flustered. I was blushing. I felt like a scolded child, even though my
bare chest pretty blatantly indicated I was a grown woman. "It's fine
if you're sunbathing," she explained without scorn, "but if you're
walking around, you have to wear a top."

I breathed another "Thank you!" and pulled my tank on as my heart beat
in my throat. The women around me were validated, and their whispering
returned in full-force. I couldn't get in or out of the bathroom fast
enough. Back outside, I waited for Megan awkwardly while the line of
women continued to stare, some even bolder now that my nipples were
tucked away.

When Megan finally made it out, it was time to take my titties home.
It wasn't until I was hopping down the stairs of the subway that I
realized my mistake: I'd never put my bra back on. As I rode the train
home, I rested my breasts on my tote and willed my nipples not to get
hard.

Conclusion:

Being carefree and topless was incredibly stressful. Perhaps with
every right comes responsibility, but between sunburns and smack-talk,
I found toplessness exhausting.

http://www.alternet.org/sex/142214/what_happened_when_i_legally_exposed_my_breasts_in_public?page=entire

***

ARE WE LIVING IN A HYPOCRISY AS A RESULT OF LIVING AMONG THE
CHRISTIANS? It sounds reasonable to say so, but I'm sure other
societies have their own double standards.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Apr 22, 2011, 8:54:59 AM4/22/11
On Apr 22, 12:08 am, Vince <vpilu...@optonline.net> wrote:
> On 4/21/2011 11:48 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser
>
> Philosopher wrote:
> > On Apr 21, 7:51 pm, Vince<vpilu...@optonline.net> wrote:

> >> Coney Island Mer maid Parade where they've been topless for years
>
> > We are talking about women going around on a bike and cooling down by
> > opening her shirt. Same as a man.
>
> Pay attention someone mentioned the above event

Who, haven't seen that. Can you please quote?

I've found out that the only day to enjoy the hot summer is both to
RIDE A BIKE and OPEN MY SHIRT which is often a safari vest. Hat --not
helmet-- is a must.

I feel sorry for those ladies who must wear a top, but they can
mitigate the heat by wearing a shirt somewhat unbuttoned without bra.
I mean you can wear a burka and ride a bike but it doesn't sound
natural.

Don Klipstein

Apr 24, 2011, 12:28:39 AM4/24/11
In <432c73f0-d240-48c2...@22g2000prx.googlegroups.com>,
His Highness the TibetanMonkey wrote in part:

<SNIP to what to wear to beat the heat>

>I've found out that the only day to enjoy the hot summer is both to
>RIDE A BIKE and OPEN MY SHIRT which is often a safari vest. Hat --not
>helmet-- is a must.

Look up what the Greek version of an exomis is. Last summer, I made
something similar, and found that to be cooler than anything else,
especially with enough airspeed to get some breeze.

This even made late afternoon commutes by bike fairly easy on a bad hot
Philadelphia summer days, when the heat index was about 105-110 F.

Though people would rather call this thing a toga...

>I feel sorry for those ladies who must wear a top, but they can
>mitigate the heat by wearing a shirt somewhat unbuttoned without bra.
>I mean you can wear a burka and ride a bike but it doesn't sound
>natural.

A few times I asked women what was coolest. They said dresses. Some
said cotton dresses or linen dresses. On that basis, I went for the Greek
style exomis. The summer versions of those were often made of linen.
--
- Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Apr 24, 2011, 12:35:09 AM4/24/11
On Apr 24, 12:28 am, d...@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:
> In <432c73f0-d240-48c2-a403-a6974ac6d...@22g2000prx.googlegroups.com>,

> His Highness the TibetanMonkey wrote in part:
>
> <SNIP to what to wear to beat the heat>
>
> >I've found out that the only day to enjoy the hot summer is both to
> >RIDE A BIKE and OPEN MY SHIRT which is often a safari vest. Hat --not
> >helmet-- is a must.
>
>   Look up what the Greek version of an exomis is.  Last summer, I made
> something similar, and found that to be cooler than anything else,
> especially with enough airspeed to get some breeze.
>
>   This even made late afternoon commutes by bike fairly easy on a bad hot
> Philadelphia summer days, when the heat index was about 105-110 F.

The hat is a must if the sun is bearing down on you. You sacrifice
safety though.

>   Though people would rather call this thing a toga...
>
> >I feel sorry for those ladies who must wear a top, but they can
> >mitigate the heat by wearing a shirt somewhat unbuttoned without bra.
> >I mean you can wear a burka and ride a bike but it doesn't sound
> >natural.
>
>   A few times I asked women what was coolest.  They said dresses.  Some
> said cotton dresses or linen dresses.  On that basis, I went for the Greek
> style exomis.  The summer versions of those were often made of linen.

What's that?

The Real Bev

Apr 24, 2011, 12:59:44 AM4/24/11
On 04/23/11 21:28, Don Klipstein wrote:

> In<432c73f0-d240-48c2...@22g2000prx.googlegroups.com>,
> His Highness the TibetanMonkey wrote in part:
>
> <SNIP to what to wear to beat the heat>
>
>>I've found out that the only day to enjoy the hot summer is both to
>>RIDE A BIKE and OPEN MY SHIRT which is often a safari vest. Hat --not
>>helmet-- is a must.
>
> Look up what the Greek version of an exomis is. Last summer, I made
> something similar, and found that to be cooler than anything else,
> especially with enough airspeed to get some breeze.

I bet the black bike shorts ruined the effect!

> This even made late afternoon commutes by bike fairly easy on a bad hot
> Philadelphia summer days, when the heat index was about 105-110 F.
>
> Though people would rather call this thing a toga...
>
>>I feel sorry for those ladies who must wear a top, but they can
>>mitigate the heat by wearing a shirt somewhat unbuttoned without bra.
>>I mean you can wear a burka and ride a bike but it doesn't sound
>>natural.

I'd worry about it getting caught in the chain. And you'd need a lot of
mirrors. Not practical.

> A few times I asked women what was coolest. They said dresses. Some
> said cotton dresses or linen dresses. On that basis, I went for the Greek
> style exomis. The summer versions of those were often made of linen.

Back in the dark ages when I was in high school hoopskirts with
petticoats were the in thing. The cheap ones were just wire frames and
were kind of miserable to sit in; the expensive ones were made of net
with boning and provided a lot of air circulation.

This was the late 1950s, not 1850s!

--
Cheers,
Bev

Vic Smith

Apr 24, 2011, 1:10:42 AM4/24/11

Reminds me of a "joke" I read many years ago. Probably in a Reader's
Digest, which my ma subscribed to.
A priest in cassock and collar and a businessman in suit and tie find
themselves one morning sitting across from each other in a train
compartment.
It's not air conditioned and soon becomes stifling hot as the sun goes
higher.
The businessman stands up, removes his suit coat and tie, then sits
again. He smiles at the priest and says,
"Sorry you can't do that, father."
The priest gets up, and says "Excuse me, I must use the lavatory."
He returns shortly, with his pants folded over an arm, and sits again.
He smiles at the businessman and says, "Sorry you can't do that, son."

--Vic

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Apr 24, 2011, 1:15:59 AM4/24/11
On Apr 24, 12:59 am, The Real Bev <bashley...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/23/11 21:28, Don Klipstein wrote:
>
> > In<432c73f0-d240-48c2-a403-a6974ac6d...@22g2000prx.googlegroups.com>,

> > His Highness the TibetanMonkey wrote in part:
>
> > <SNIP to what to wear to beat the heat>
>
> >>I've found out that the only day to enjoy the hot summer is both to
> >>RIDE A BIKE and OPEN MY SHIRT which is often a safari vest. Hat --not
> >>helmet-- is a must.
>
> >    Look up what the Greek version of an exomis is.  Last summer, I made
> > something similar, and found that to be cooler than anything else,
> > especially with enough airspeed to get some breeze.
>
> I bet the black bike shorts ruined the effect!

They do. Best is shorter pants just below the knee. You don't want
your legs sunburned.

> >    This even made late afternoon commutes by bike fairly easy on a bad hot
> > Philadelphia summer days, when the heat index was about 105-110 F.
>
> >    Though people would rather call this thing a toga...
>
> >>I feel sorry for those ladies who must wear a top, but they can
> >>mitigate the heat by wearing a shirt somewhat unbuttoned without bra.
> >>I mean you can wear a burka and ride a bike but it doesn't sound
> >>natural.
>
> I'd worry about it getting caught in the chain.  And you'd need a lot of
> mirrors.  Not practical.

The Japanese use umbrellas on their bikes. I prefer ponchos though at
times can get blown and blind you.

Don Klipstein

Apr 24, 2011, 2:55:16 AM4/24/11
In <4ab7e065-559a-4ab8...@f11g2000vbx.googlegroups.com>,
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher wrote:

>On Apr 24, 12:28 am, d...@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:
>> In <432c73f0-d240-48c2-a403-a6974ac6d...@22g2000prx.googlegroups.com>,
>> His Highness the TibetanMonkey wrote in part:
>>
>> <SNIP to what to wear to beat the heat>
>>
>> >I've found out that the only day to enjoy the hot summer is both to
>> >RIDE A BIKE and OPEN MY SHIRT which is often a safari vest. Hat --not
>> >helmet-- is a must.
>>
>> Look up what the Greek version of an exomis is.  Last summer, I made
>> something similar, and found that to be cooler than anything else,
>> especially with enough airspeed to get some breeze.
>>
>> This even made late afternoon commutes by bike fairly easy on a bad
>> hot Philadelphia summer days, when the heat index was about 105-110 F.
>
>The hat is a must if the sun is bearing down on you. You sacrifice
>safety though.

Instead, I wore my helmet. I found that a Greek style exomis cools my
body better than a bathing suit, or even my coolest shirt and my coolest
shorts.

>> Though people would rather call this thing a toga...
>>
>> >I feel sorry for those ladies who must wear a top, but they can
>> >mitigate the heat by wearing a shirt somewhat unbuttoned without bra.
>> >I mean you can wear a burka and ride a bike but it doesn't sound
>> >natural.
>>
>> A few times I asked women what was coolest. They said dresses.
>> Some said cotton dresses or linen dresses. On that basis, I went for
>> the Greek style exomis. The summer versions of those were often made
>> of linen.
>
>What's that?

Are you asking what linen is, or what an exomis is? I know Wikipedia
has an article on "exomis". I would think Wiki has an article on linen.

The word "exomis" is a Greek one. It means, "shoulder out".

I think of an exomis as a single-strap sleeveless dress, made primarily
for men. The Greek version appears to me "manly". There is a Roman
version that appears to me to be "less manly", more like what modern
people would consider to be a dress, better worn by men if they have
prominent facial hair and prominent muscles more-so than even athletic
women have.

Actually, the classic Greek version does not have the fabric over one
shoulder being in form of a strap. I would say, do a web search (such
as with Google or alternatives) and see what a Greek exomis is.

Don Klipstein

Apr 24, 2011, 3:06:04 AM4/24/11
In article <ip0ao2$oll$1...@dont-email.me>, The Real Bev wrote:
>On 04/23/11 21:28, Don Klipstein wrote:
>
>> In<432c73f0-d240-48c2...@22g2000prx.googlegroups.com>,
>> His Highness the TibetanMonkey wrote in part:
>>
>> <SNIP to what to wear to beat the heat>
>>
>>>I've found out that the only day to enjoy the hot summer is both to
>>>RIDE A BIKE and OPEN MY SHIRT which is often a safari vest. Hat --not
>>>helmet-- is a must.
>>
>> Look up what the Greek version of an exomis is. Last summer, I made
>> something similar, and found that to be cooler than anything else,
>> especially with enough airspeed to get some breeze.
>
>I bet the black bike shorts ruined the effect!

An exomis is normally long enough to cover bike shorts. Under mine, I
only wore "boy panties".

>> This even made late afternoon commutes by bike fairly easy on a bad hot
>> Philadelphia summer days, when the heat index was about 105-110 F.
>>
>> Though people would rather call this thing a toga...
>>
>>>I feel sorry for those ladies who must wear a top, but they can
>>>mitigate the heat by wearing a shirt somewhat unbuttoned without bra.
>>>I mean you can wear a burka and ride a bike but it doesn't sound
>>>natural.
>
>I'd worry about it getting caught in the chain. And you'd need a lot of
>mirrors. Not practical.

What would I need mirrors for? No clothing gets more than an inch from
my body except below my armpits!

As for getting caught in the chain? On a men's bike, I never had that
problem with an exomis or a mid-calf-length raincoat!

>> A few times I asked women what was coolest. They said dresses. Some
>> said cotton dresses or linen dresses. On that basis, I went for the
>> Greek style exomis. The summer versions of those were often made of
>> linen.
>
>Back in the dark ages when I was in high school hoopskirts with
>petticoats were the in thing. The cheap ones were just wire frames and
>were kind of miserable to sit in; the expensive ones were made of net
>with boning and provided a lot of air circulation.
>
>This was the late 1950s, not 1850s!

I was talking about what was worn most roughly 2,000 years ago, during
the Roman Warm Period. Earth's rotational and orbital mechanics back then
made the world about as hot as it is now with nearly 40% more CO2 than
the world had back then. Greece and the Roman Empire had to have summers
awfully hot for hand-to-hand combat and swordfighting!

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Apr 24, 2011, 8:52:24 AM4/24/11
On 4/21/2011 8:33 AM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser
Philosopher wrote:
> Western Liberation of women ain't liberation at all, I may say, as
> women are financial slaves to their car --or "cage" as it is commonly
> known-- or limited to go to parks for fear of the hobos and sexual
> predators.
>
> My opinion is particularly important because that's my riding style in
> my local park, and the only way to beat the heat in summer days. I
> wear my safari hat and open my shirt endlessly riding my bike through
> the winding path, while I witness those hobos sleeping on those
> benches with casual disregard for the public.
>
> So I say, with all the weight of my wisdom, that women have the same
> right to go bare-breasted and be free from hobos. Liberation time
> shouldn't be limited to a few Arab countries. We mean EQUAL RIGHTS FOR
> ALL.[...]

When being topless was legalized in the Scandinavian countries, a few
women went around topless for a couple of weeks until the novelty wore off.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Apr 24, 2011, 10:22:53 AM4/24/11
On Apr 24, 8:52 am, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI

So the monkey needs the cage? Remember though they live in cold
weather.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Apr 24, 2011, 10:24:03 AM4/24/11
On Apr 24, 2:55 am, d...@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:
> In <4ab7e065-559a-4ab8-a0ac-b83d1e1cb...@f11g2000vbx.googlegroups.com>,

Thanks! I think this woman is half liberated!

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/images/hb/hb_32.11.4.jpg

Don Klipstein

Apr 25, 2011, 12:01:59 AM4/25/11
In <b864b8f8-3a68-4a0e...@d27g2000vbz.googlegroups.com>,
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher wrote:

>On Apr 24, 2:55 am, d...@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

<I SNIP to here>

>> Are you asking what linen is, or what an exomis is? I know Wikipedia
>> has an article on "exomis". I would think Wiki has an article on linen.
>>
>> The word "exomis" is a Greek one. It means, "shoulder out".
>>
>> I think of an exomis as a single-strap sleeveless dress, made primarily
>> for men. The Greek version appears to me "manly". There is a Roman
>> version that appears to me to be "less manly", more like what modern
>> people would consider to be a dress, better worn by men if they have
>> prominent facial hair and prominent muscles more-so than even athletic
>> women have.
>>
>> Actually, the classic Greek version does not have the fabric over one
>> shoulder being in form of a strap.  I would say, do a web search (such
>> as with Google or alternatives) and see what a Greek exomis is.
>> --
>> - Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)
>
>Thanks! I think this woman is half liberated!
>
>http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/images/hb/hb_32.11.4.jpg

I took a look!

The garment appears to me impressively close to being a Greek style
men's exomis. Differs slightly, mostly by having a little less body
coverage - including having a strap rather than a sewed joint in the
top end of a square garment sewed into a tube.

That usually has a man's right pec exposed.

This thing is mirror-image-reversed, maybe according to what is now
modern practice for women's button-up blouses and shirts to have
button-side reverse of what side the buttons are on men's shirts.

The woman in the link has one breast exposed.

On a bike going at least 10 maybe 15 MPH, I think I can get more cooling
with more body coverage by a similar garment. I got the cloth to channel
air over my body in a good way. I did that with a largely-square piece
of cloth sewed into a tube, with an inch or a bit more of heavy stitching
roughly 1/3 from one endpoint of the top side to the other.

I do think that Greek soldiers knew what to wear for maximum cooling of
body by clothes back in the "Roman Warm Period", when the world was as hot
as it was in the past decade with nearly 30% less CO2 due to more-warming
periodic shift in planetary orbital mechanics.
And, I tried this a bit - successfully!

Joy Beeson

Apr 25, 2011, 1:37:02 AM4/25/11
On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 21:59:44 -0700, The Real Bev
<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Back in the dark ages when I was in high school hoopskirts with
> petticoats were the in thing. The cheap ones were just wire frames and
> were kind of miserable to sit in; the expensive ones were made of net
> with boning and provided a lot of air circulation.
>
> This was the late 1950s, not 1850s!

Hoop skirts never made it to my high school -- we wore "crinolines" --
ruffled net underskirts, or stiff some-sort-of-synthetic petticoats.
And we wore them only for dress-up; for school, we wore pleated or
circular skirts over ordinary slips. I fondly remember a
double-circle school skirt: it was so full that I could grab a
handful of hem with each hand, raise my arms straight up, and still be
decently covered.

When I'm riding my bike in a damp linen shirt, I feel sorry for the
guys toasting bare skin in the sun.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Apr 25, 2011, 8:57:02 AM4/25/11
On Apr 25, 12:01 am, d...@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:
> In <b864b8f8-3a68-4a0e-8c16-35d92af64...@d27g2000vbz.googlegroups.com>,

The latter is doubtful though. They didn't travel on bikes! ;)

I don't think southern Europe's weather is that hot either, not for a
long time at least.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Apr 25, 2011, 8:59:44 AM4/25/11
On Apr 25, 1:37 am, Joy Beeson <jbee...@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 21:59:44 -0700, The Real Bev
>
> <bashley...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Back in the dark ages when I was in high school hoopskirts with
> > petticoats were the in thing. The cheap ones were just wire frames and
> > were kind of miserable to sit in;  the expensive ones were made of net
> > with boning and provided a lot of air circulation.
>
> > This was the late 1950s, not 1850s!
>
> Hoop skirts never made it to my high school -- we wore "crinolines" --
> ruffled net underskirts, or stiff some-sort-of-synthetic petticoats.
> And we wore them only for dress-up; for school, we wore pleated or
> circular skirts over ordinary slips.  I fondly remember a
> double-circle school skirt:  it was so full that I could grab a
> handful of hem with each hand, raise my arms straight up, and still be
> decently covered.
>
> When I'm riding my bike in a damp linen shirt, I feel sorry for the
> guys toasting bare skin in the sun.

Bare skin is the worst if the sun is up, but try it at night.

Dutch women use skirts often so that may be part of the solution.

Don Klipstein

Apr 25, 2011, 3:44:12 PM4/25/11
In <93edd9ca-773e-4f0c...@z31g2000vbs.googlegroups.com>,

They sometimes had to run and engage in swordfights or hand-to-hand
combat.

>I don't think southern Europe's weather is that hot either, not for a
>long time at least.

Normally not as bad as Miami, but Athens looks to me about as steamy hot
in July and August as Washington DC, maybe Richmond VA, or hotter
neighborhoods deep within Philadelphia, downwind of Philly's "Center
City".

Rome appears to me to have July and August comparable to either
northwestern suburbs of Philadelphia or to any low elevation area around
30 miles inland from San Diego.

At this rate, low elevation parts of Greece sound to me like having
need to dress cool in the summer.

Meanwhile, the "classical" Greek exomis is looser-fitting than what I
tried, likely to have cooling aerodynamics with airspeeds slower than
10-15 MPH.

So, back to cooling people who *are* on bikes! I have a bit of
experience that an exomis made of a "cooling fabric" (cotton or linen)
works great!

The Real Bev

Apr 25, 2011, 8:52:06 PM4/25/11
On 04/24/11 00:06, Don Klipstein wrote:

> In article<ip0ao2$oll$1...@dont-email.me>, The Real Bev wrote:

>>I'd worry about it getting caught in the chain. And you'd need a lot of
>>mirrors. Not practical.
>
> What would I need mirrors for? No clothing gets more than an inch from
> my body except below my armpits!
>
> As for getting caught in the chain? On a men's bike, I never had that
> problem with an exomis or a mid-calf-length raincoat!

You mentioned a burkha, which is what I was talking about. I would
think the objections would be obvious.

--
Cheers, Bev
There is no such thing as a foolproof device

The Real Bev

Apr 25, 2011, 9:04:58 PM4/25/11
On 04/24/11 22:37, Joy Beeson wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 21:59:44 -0700, The Real Bev
> <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Back in the dark ages when I was in high school hoopskirts with
>> petticoats were the in thing. The cheap ones were just wire frames and
>> were kind of miserable to sit in; the expensive ones were made of net
>> with boning and provided a lot of air circulation.
>>
>> This was the late 1950s, not 1850s!
>
> Hoop skirts never made it to my high school -- we wore "crinolines" --
> ruffled net underskirts, or stiff some-sort-of-synthetic petticoats.
> And we wore them only for dress-up; for school, we wore pleated or
> circular skirts over ordinary slips.

Hoops plus crinolines. Frequently starched with sugar water, although
my grandma used real starch. Worn for school under a 3-yard gathered skirt.

> When I'm riding my bike in a damp linen shirt, I feel sorry for the
> guys toasting bare skin in the sun.

How else are they going to exhibit their machismo now that killing a
saber-tooth tiger isn't really all that practical?

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Apr 25, 2011, 9:28:30 PM4/25/11
On Apr 25, 9:04 pm, The Real Bev <bashley...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > When I'm riding my bike in a damp linen shirt, I feel sorry for the
> > guys toasting bare skin in the sun.
>
> How else are they going to exhibit their machismo now that killing a
> saber-tooth tiger isn't really all that practical?

They drive an SUV and blast the horn at cyclists as well. Why don't
they go and wrestle alligators somewhere?

Don Klipstein

Apr 25, 2011, 10:57:04 PM4/25/11
In article <ip54vl$26r$1...@dont-email.me>, The Real Bev wrote:
*(Did I get this right?)

>On 04/24/11 00:06, Don Klipstein wrote:

>>>I'd worry about it getting caught in the chain. And you'd need a lot of
>>>mirrors. Not practical.
>>
>> What would I need mirrors for? No clothing gets more than an inch from
>> my body except below my armpits!
>>
>> As for getting caught in the chain? On a men's bike, I never had that
>> problem with an exomis or a mid-calf-length raincoat!
>
>You mentioned a burkha, which is what I was talking about. I would
>think the objections would be obvious.

I was responding to someone who likely mentioned a "burkha".

I think those are not-so-cooling, and worn mostly by women willing to
go-along-to-get-along in societies that demean women.

If I had to be a woman in such societies, I would bare a breast with
the worn-by-a-woman exomis mentioned earlier in this thread.

Don Klipstein

Apr 25, 2011, 11:11:16 PM4/25/11
In article <ip55nq$l75$1...@dont-email.me>, The Real Bev wrote:
>On 04/24/11 22:37, Joy Beeson wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 21:59:44 -0700, The Real Bev
>> <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Back in the dark ages when I was in high school hoopskirts with
>>> petticoats were the in thing. The cheap ones were just wire frames and
>>> were kind of miserable to sit in; the expensive ones were made of net
>>> with boning and provided a lot of air circulation.
>>>
>>> This was the late 1950s, not 1850s!
>>
>> Hoop skirts never made it to my high school -- we wore "crinolines" --
>> ruffled net underskirts, or stiff some-sort-of-synthetic petticoats.
>> And we wore them only for dress-up; for school, we wore pleated or
>> circular skirts over ordinary slips.
>
>Hoops plus crinolines. Frequently starched with sugar water, although
>my grandma used real starch. Worn for school under a 3-yard gathered skirt.
>
>> When I'm riding my bike in a damp linen shirt, I feel sorry for the
>> guys toasting bare skin in the sun.
>
>How else are they going to exhibit their machismo now that killing a
>saber-tooth tiger isn't really all that practical?

How about inventing or wearing men's versions of *cooling* women's
garments, such as dresses and skirts?

How about the exomis, especially of older Greek style? That's a dress,
though that was a manly dress that men wore before pants were put into
practice.

And, strongly it appears to me, a Greek exomis appears to me "more
manly" than the Roman version.
--
- Don Klipstein (d...@mity.com)

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Apr 26, 2011, 7:33:17 AM4/26/11
On Apr 25, 11:11 pm, d...@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

> In article <ip55nq$l7...@dont-email.me>, The Real Bev wrote:
> >On 04/24/11 22:37, Joy Beeson wrote:

> >> Hoop skirts never made it to my high school -- we wore "crinolines" --
> >> ruffled net underskirts, or stiff some-sort-of-synthetic petticoats.
> >> And we wore them only for dress-up; for school, we wore pleated or
> >> circular skirts over ordinary slips.
>
> >Hoops plus crinolines.  Frequently starched with sugar water, although
> >my grandma used real starch.  Worn for school under a 3-yard gathered skirt.
>
> >> When I'm riding my bike in a damp linen shirt, I feel sorry for the
> >> guys toasting bare skin in the sun.
>
> >How else are they going to exhibit their machismo now that killing a
> >saber-tooth tiger isn't really all that practical?
>
>   How about inventing or wearing men's versions of *cooling* women's
> garments, such as dresses and skirts?
>
>   How about the exomis, especially of older Greek style?  That's a dress,
> though that was a manly dress that men wore before pants were put into
> practice.
>
>   And, strongly it appears to me, a Greek exomis appears to me "more
> manly" than the Roman version.
> --
>  - Don Klipstein (d...@mity.com)

There's one thing I love to wear too. It's cotton, loose and has a
wide neck with a lace. Very cool and stylish.

The Real Bev

Apr 26, 2011, 10:41:01 AM4/26/11
On 04/25/11 19:57, Don Klipstein wrote:

Would you do it if it meant death?

--
Cheers, Bev
Eat this, NSA: bomb assassinate Washington North Korea Iraq spy poison

Don Klipstein

Apr 26, 2011, 5:25:45 PM4/26/11
In article <ip6lhu$ir7$1...@dont-email.me>, The Real Bev wrote:
>On 04/25/11 19:57, Don Klipstein wrote:

<SNIP to here>

>> I was responding to someone who likely mentioned a "burkha".
>>
>> I think those are not-so-cooling, and worn mostly by women willing to
>> go-along-to-get-along in societies that demean women.
>>
>> If I had to be a woman in such societies, I would bare a breast with
>> the worn-by-a-woman exomis mentioned earlier in this thread.
>
>Would you do it if it meant death?

You got a point there. I would wear a burkha if necessary to be allowed
to live.

I doubt burkhas make bike riding easier. Don't they impair vision?

The Real Bev

Apr 26, 2011, 8:48:01 PM4/26/11

Hence the need for extra mirrors...

--
Cheers, Bev
...so few snipers, so many politicians...

moronsbegone

May 12, 2011, 12:28:27 PM5/12/11
ARE WE LIVING IN A HYPOCRISY AS A RESULT OF LIVING AMONG THE
CHRISTIANS? It sounds reasonable to say so, but I'm sure other
societies have their own double standards.

Some peole need to be reminded some of us do not follow the
silly Opiet influenced Saint interpreted faximilized words of
God we call Christianity and the fable book of 1001 ways to
hate your neighbor guide they call the Bible that comes with
it. I beleive in a higher power, my discription of Jesus is
way off from all of you's I am sure, But it's the FAN club of
both I realy can't stand. Take it off , leave it off, tuff!!!
Oh ya , remember take this fake mind created morality they
call religion along with your tops and throw them in the trash
together.

--
May You reep the poverrty You have Voted for.